It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matruchus: Damn, I'm stupid. I had it setup on Win XP cause of some other game. But still managed to get the game launched but then it crashed and generated automatical report and sent it to Petroglyph.
blakstar: Just a quick reminder, but if you use fresh Wine prefixes with each game install you can change Windows types, and winetricks, for a game as much as you like, without affecting any of your other games.
Heh, you should see the prefix I have Grim Dawn :D Dirtiest damn thing ever, a million overrides but oh man the game runs so smooth :D
blakstar: Just a quick reminder, but if you use fresh Wine prefixes with each game install you can change Windows types, and winetricks, for a game as much as you like, without affecting any of your other games.
JudasIscariot: Heh, you should see the prefix I have Grim Dawn :D Dirtiest damn thing ever, a million overrides but oh man the game runs so smooth :D
I try and run my games in a kind of "Wine nirvana" -- pure Wine with no winetricks whatsoever. Starts feeling like I'm cheating when I start sticking Windows libraries on my Linux machine. :-D
JudasIscariot: Heh, you should see the prefix I have Grim Dawn :D Dirtiest damn thing ever, a million overrides but oh man the game runs so smooth :D
blakstar: I try and run my games in a kind of "Wine nirvana" -- pure Wine with no winetricks whatsoever. Starts feeling like I'm cheating when I start sticking Windows libraries on my Linux machine. :-D
Well, I am mostly utilitarian in nature as in "Does this work well? Great, into the pot it goes!" :D
blakstar: I try and run my games in a kind of "Wine nirvana" -- pure Wine with no winetricks whatsoever. Starts feeling like I'm cheating when I start sticking Windows libraries on my Linux machine. :-D
JudasIscariot: Well, I am mostly utilitarian in nature as in "Does this work well? Great, into the pot it goes!" :D
Well, at least I've got videos :-P
JudasIscariot: Well, I am mostly utilitarian in nature as in "Does this work well? Great, into the pot it goes!" :D
blakstar: Well, at least I've got videos :-P
True but do you have Grim Dawn running buttery smooth, though? :P

Videos for Ck Complete and Europa Universalis :P I have video too, just not for those games :P
Post edited April 23, 2016 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: True but do you have Grim Dawn running buttery smooth, though? :P

[snip]
I wouldn't know, since I haven't bought Grim Dawn (yet) :-)

EDIT: When I do, I'll send you a tutorial on how to run it without a couple of hundred winetricks installed :-P
Post edited April 23, 2016 by blakstar
Game: Hearts of Iron III + DLC Collection
Installer MD5s:
aed3dad2e4ce924d2283d645577f04df setup_hearts_of_iron_iii_2.0.0.1.exe
854216b65e7dd250f1c3d43131bdfdd2 setup_hearts_of_iron_iii_dlc_collection_2.0.0.1
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10128
CodeWeavers link: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/hearts-of-iron-iii
Distro: Mac OS X El Capitain 10.11.4
Kernel version: Darwin 15.4.0 (Build 15E65)
Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 5000
Graphics driver & version: OS Default
Wine version(s) tested: WINE 1.9.8 via Wineskin
Install notes: Install the following in winetricks:
dotnet20 (required for launcher)
directx9 d3dxof devenum quartz vcrun2005 (without these, the game either will not start, or will crash on startup)
videomemorysize=512 (without this the game will crash and complain with "out of video memory" errors in the log)

You may need to make the following entry in regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectSound/
(set "MaxShadowSize"="0")

Start the game using "hoi3.exe", or "hoi3_tfh.exe" for the "Their Finest Hour" expansion.

How well does it run: Almost perfectly (So far)
Details: Tested in fullscreen 1366 x 768, with all graphical options set to max. Everything seems to work as expected, including music, ambient sounds, and saving/loading games. The intro cutscene also does not play. Mods have not yet been tested.
Post edited April 23, 2016 by rampancy
adamhm: Game: Star Trek: Starfleet Command
Installer MD5: 195c5fabe72ea3ab4bc1b1da52e70349 setup_starfleet_command_2.0.0.6.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=6713
CodeWeavers link: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/starfleet-command-1

Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit
Kernel version: 3.19.0-58
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 364.15
Wine version(s) tested: Wine Staging 1.9.8 via PlayOnLinux, CrossOver 15.1.0

Install notes: Just install & play.
If using PlayOnLinux, run the game from/create a shortcut for "sfc.exe". Run "config.exe" ("Video Settings" in CrossOver) first to set display resolution.
How well does it run: Perfectly so far
Details: Tested with virtual desktop enabled. Have only played very briefly but it seems to work fine.
Sorry, maybe I should have mentioned this before, but don't forget, as I initially did, to edit the config file if you can't hear Sulu's voice during the training missions. If you don't already know, there should be a voice volume setting in there, set as a percentage.
Post edited April 24, 2016 by blakstar
blakstar: Sorry, maybe I should have mentioned this before, but don't forget, as I initially did, to edit the config file if you can't hear Sulu's voice during the training missions. If you don't already know, there should be a voice volume setting in there, set as a percentage.
It worked for me without needing any tweaking, but I'll add that to the post
Post edited April 24, 2016 by adamhm
blakstar: Sorry, maybe I should have mentioned this before, but don't forget, as I initially did, to edit the config file if you can't hear Sulu's voice during the training missions. If you don't already know, there should be a voice volume setting in there, set as a percentage.
adamhm: It worked for me without needing any tweaking, but I'll add that to the post
Maybe I have an older version of the game, or else I missed something, but I don't recall seeing any updates mentioned on GOG!

I had the same issue on Windows, but I found the game worked much better in Linux, with full graphics hardware acceleration.

Apologies if I did miss an update, but at least it might help if anyone doesn't have Sulu's voice in the game.
Post edited April 24, 2016 by blakstar
rampancy: videomemorysize=512 (without this the game will crash and complain with "out of video memory" errors in the log)
Do you need to limit the memory or is Wine using a fallback GPU with "less video memory"?

Come to think of it, I seem to remember a recent bug report with a patch added to it that identifies your GPU.
Post edited April 24, 2016 by Gydion
JudasIscariot: ...
Did you need to do anything special for The Deadly Tower of Monsters?
rampancy: videomemorysize=512 (without this the game will crash and complain with "out of video memory" errors in the log)
Gydion: Do you need to limit the memory or is Wine using a fallback GPU with "less video memory"?

Come to think of it, I seem to remember a recent bug report with a patch added to it that identifies your GPU.
I've taken that step from instructions given on both the AppDB and on the Paradox forums. It's not so much an issue of limiting memory as it is giving WINE (and by extension the game running on it) a specified hard amount of available VRAM to expect. On the AppDB instructions for setting "videomemorysize" range from 896 to whatever amount is present on the system's video card.

I'm not a coder, and I'm far from an expert in WINE so I can only guess at what's going on, but I think it may have something to do with the integrated memory on my laptop (which is really more of an ultrabook in terms of specs) and how it's handled in OS X. Since VRAM is allocated dynamically I'm guessing that when the game starts up WINE only sees the amount of video memory available at that time (which may only be the minimum amount needed by the system, as opposed to the theoretical maximum that the system can allocate to it). That number may be lower than what the game needs, hence the out of memory errors.

It's just a guess, though...
Ha, I managed to get videos in CK Complete. Apparently, for CK Complete at least, quartz installed via winetricks interferes or something of the sort with whatever quartz bits Wine already has natively.

One down :P
JudasIscariot: I cannot magically raise the character limit nor can I insert posts in other places, sorry.

The only other thing I can think of doing is you create a new thread and then make 1 or 2 page's worth of placeholder posts....
Gydion: Yeah, I kinda knew that already. You can't turn off the damn forum automerge either though. Which means even just 12 posts would take over 2 hours. It was nice to have, but it's only an extra click away in nearly all cases.
I've been thinking about possible ways around this, perhaps there's a way to bypass the post merge limit... maybe by filling posts with garbage initially so that they can't be merged without exceeding the size limit? Or using attached images (there's a limit of 5 attached images per post)?

Or if you don't want to make a new thread you could just keep using later posts in this thread & adding a link to the next one as they get filled up?