It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
CARRiON-XCII: He's either just trying to rile people up (which is very easy to do on this forum honestly) or he's a salty customer with a bone to pick. All he continues to say is DRM-free is pointless because you can still pirate games. A very obvious fact that I'm sure no one here really needed reminding of. But hey, he's a realist, man.

It's not even really a point to stand on, since having DRM or not doesn't change the fact that something can be pirated. There are many GOG games on pirate websites, and it's been that way from the beginning. There are also many Steam exclusive games on pirate sites, some of which have multiple layers of DRM for the paying customer to deal with. The whole point of praising DRM-free media is to accept the fact that people will pirate, but should you choose to pay for it you don't have to deal with any DRM attached to it like a leech and can back it up and have it always available. Just like pirates get to do.

But hey, remaining ignorant and missing the point is cool on the internet.
I completely agree with you. I never meant to convince him/her. I'm pretty sure he's either trolling, willfully ignorant, or dumb as a bag of rocks. What I wanted to do was show other people that when you realize that his entire argument is based on his own strawman, there's no need to waste time arguing with him.
GOG.com: DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
Cheers GOG!!! Keep up the awesome work and can we have Tom Clnacy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1& 2 for sale pretty pls.? Can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyway yeah keep up the amazing work!!!
Wasn't it proven that people who pirate games actually tend to buy the games they pirate afterwards? As a sort of demo system in lieu of demos not being present anymore for many games?
Syphonides: Wasn't it proven that people who pirate games actually tend to buy the games they pirate afterwards? As a sort of demo system in lieu of demos not being present anymore for many games?
And if the game companies would make legal demos available, how many more law-abiding people would try them and decide to buy the games?
I applaud the initiative but, like many others before me (I'm assuming, as I'm not going through 8 pages of comments -- 50 comments per page -- to find out), I'm not sure the wording was well chosen. Because if you want to engage in conversation and healthy discussion with a party that has different beliefs, politics and policies than you, you don't open that dialog with "FCK [insert whatever thing they believe in]". That's not building bridges, it's downright burning them. See, I'm not a fan of Tolkien, but a lot of people are. Sometimes I like to engage in (civil) discussion on the subject, but if I open up with "fuck Tolkien", I think any chance of healthy conversation is dead. Now, "FCK" isn't technically "fuck", you can argue it's an acronym for... whatever? "Free Community Killing DRM", or whatever, but, you know... we all use the internet, we are fully aware of what FCK stands for.

On the other hand, I commend you for being aggressive, I know a lot of vocal users in these forums have been complaining about GOG "forgetting their principles" and "forgetting their roots" and "forgetting where they came from", and all that, and this clear "Fuck DRM" should be proof enough that GOG is still focusing strongly on the DRM-free revolution, and that it is an identity pillar they are not willing to let go.
low rated
joppo: just out of curiosity: do you go to vaccination centers to tell everyone there how stupid they are for getting a tetanus vaccine that won't keep them safe from developing cancer? * Because nobody ever said that DRM-free was meant to make piracy disappear.

* It's not a perfect analogy, mind you. DRM is a problem at least as bad as piracy.
CARRiON-XCII: He's either just trying to rile people up (which is very easy to do on this forum honestly) or he's a salty customer with a bone to pick. All he continues to say is DRM-free is pointless because you can still pirate games. A very obvious fact that I'm sure no one here really needed reminding of. But hey, he's a realist, man.

It's not even really a point to stand on, since having DRM or not doesn't change the fact that something can be pirated. There are many GOG games on pirate websites, and it's been that way from the beginning. There are also many Steam exclusive games on pirate sites, some of which have multiple layers of DRM for the paying customer to deal with. The whole point of praising DRM-free media is to accept the fact that people will pirate, but should you choose to pay for it you don't have to deal with any DRM attached to it like a leech and can back it up and have it always available. Just like pirates get to do.

But hey, remaining ignorant and missing the point is cool on the internet.
Nah, just trolling a bunch of GoG fanboys is always easy and fun. Honestly, you can just shit on the whole DRM-Free concept and watch 'em get pissy over it. But here's the thing, for all of GoG talks about DRM-Free stuff, they are kinda DRM themselves, since say Witcher 3 uses cloud saving AND it's achievements are linked to Galaxy and some of the their games are.
groze: Because if you want to engage in conversation and healthy discussion with a party that has different beliefs, politics and policies than you, you don't open that dialog with "FCK [insert whatever thing they believe in]". That's not building bridges, it's downright burning them.
In the US it also reeks of Trump hysteria. There's a broad coalition of fine people who oppose our new president, and then there are the folks who put kids in front of the camera and instruct them to display their middle fingers and recite potty mouth. It's not hyperbole to say that this petulant attitude and style of presentation helped get him elected.

Was there something wrong with IDK DRM or did you just not think of it?

I'll add that as long as GOG sells games that require account creation for participation in multiplayer, the site should also list Humble, Steam, and any other service that sells a significant number of DRM-free titles.
Syphonides: Wasn't it proven that people who pirate games actually tend to buy the games they pirate afterwards? As a sort of demo system in lieu of demos not being present anymore for many games?
Clearly remember that study funded by the EU, which they buried until Julia Reda managed to make them publish it under a freedom of information request, that found a 26% positive impact of "piracy" on game sales (as in for every four who get a "pirated" copy, there will be just over one legal sale more than without said "piracy") (study also found a 40% negative impact on new blockbuster movies, which was the only bit of it the EU had revealed before then, and no statistically significant impact on any other kind of digital content - so basically what we already knew, people will get stuff if they can for free, if not they'll just do without, there are no actual losses).
groze: That's not building bridges, it's downright burning them.
You can't really build a bridge anyway. What kind of middle ground can you have? A tiny bit of DRM would still be DRM. “Dear sir, don't fck us with this long pole, use a dildo, please”? DRM should die, no compromises.
erbello: DRM Shops shouldn't use a "buy" word, but instead: "rent", "borrow" or "buy a ticket".
I wonder what the result would be if it was actually illegal to "sell" DRM games, because that's exactly what DRM comes down to.

Elmofongo: Letting everyone know that even though I had it on Steam for years, I rebought Elder Scrolls Oblivion here. Because Fck DRM.
Ideally that's not how it should be. You shouldn't have to re-buy a game because it has DRM as that plays right in the hands of publishers.

GOG.com: To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
AB2012: Good site that explains the issue clearly. As others have commented though, you obviously forgot the "u" when registering the domain... ;-)
I actually like it though. Many sites would censor the 'u' and break the link.
Kanashe: Nah, just trolling a bunch of GoG fanboys is always easy and fun. Honestly, you can just shit on the whole DRM-Free concept and watch 'em get pissy over it. But here's the thing, for all of GoG talks about DRM-Free stuff, they are kinda DRM themselves, since say Witcher 3 uses cloud saving AND it's achievements are linked to Galaxy and some of the their games are.
And how is something that's optional and wanted DRM? You know it amazes me how all the DRM fanboys always complain about how it limits them. We don't buy DRM free because of the concept but because we can do with it what we want (,apart from giving it to others). The wallet does the talking and so far it has shown DRM to be a tremendous failure.
Just remember DRM-free isn't the only reason some of us love GOG

It's also the care for customer service, with fair price package and actually TESTING the games you upload onto your store, and not just selling any old shovelware game. Quality over Quantity.

But yeah, it's great to see GOG wanting to spread some information and awareness to people about what DRM is and how it can effect the customer, as there's alot of misinformation that gets spread around the internet about DRM
low rated
It is so incredibly trashy to use the "fuck cops" logo for video game shit.
Kanashe: Nah, just trolling a bunch of GoG fanboys is always easy and fun. Honestly, you can just shit on the whole DRM-Free concept and watch 'em get pissy over it. But here's the thing, for all of GoG talks about DRM-Free stuff, they are kinda DRM themselves, since say Witcher 3 uses cloud saving AND it's achievements are linked to Galaxy and some of the their games are.
PromZA: And how is something that's optional and wanted DRM? You know it amazes me how all the DRM fanboys always complain about how it limits them. We don't buy DRM free because of the concept but because we can do with it what we want (,apart from giving it to others). The wallet does the talking and so far it has shown DRM to be a tremendous failure.
Yes I don't understand these very vocal people about gog galaxy, as GOG still offer versions of these games without the client.
groze: Because if you want to engage in conversation and healthy discussion with a party that has different beliefs, politics and policies than you, you don't open that dialog with "FCK [insert whatever thing they believe in]". That's not building bridges, it's downright burning them.
einexile: In the US it also reeks of Trump hysteria. There's a broad coalition of fine people who oppose our new president, and then there are the folks who put kids in front of the camera and instruct them to display their middle fingers and recite potty mouth. It's not hyperbole to say that this petulant attitude and style of presentation helped get him elected.

Was there something wrong with IDK DRM or did you just not think of it?

I'll add that as long as GOG sells games that require account creation for participation in multiplayer, the site should also list Humble, Steam, and any other service that sells a significant number of DRM-free titles.
Then there's the rest of the world really getting fed up of you guys talking about yourselves and how sensitive you are nowadays over such trivial things. It's insanity and really tiresome how everything to you guys has to be some huge controversy or some huge topic that needs discussing. Yet, they're the most trivial things I've ever heard lol.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by KP1990
einexile: I'll add that as long as GOG sells games that require account creation for participation in multiplayer
But they are upfront about it...

einexile: the site should also list [..] Steam, and any other service that sells a significant number of DRM-free titles.
Steam on the other hand: Their sole purpose is to sell digital goods but they can't even show which products have DRM and which don't. This is completely unacceptable for such kind of store.

Humble is great because they show which ones are clearly DRM-free.