It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

*del* :)
Post edited August 27, 2015 by Lin545
Risen and « The witcher » were somewhat easy.

« The witcher 2 » seems harder.

I don't post as I already own them.
agylardi: I see Hitman too. But I am curious where is Far Cry. Where is it ?
Everything with as, train your skills you must, young padawan :)

agylardi: Anyway, that PlayOnLinux tutorial is a good introduction. I wondered how it was before this. But it seems, the best bet is to get a DRM-Free games for Linux if we want to play games without compatibility problems or other things. Now I know why Linux user always asks for the Linux version of games.

Edit : I guess I'll edit my entry too.
Well, noCD usually always work. But that requires additional messing around for those who paid for license, with no real benefit. NoCD was the way to remove DRM most of the time, because it was DRM that prevented legal players to use the product. Either because original cd was scratched too much "in DRM opinion" and there are substantial costs associated with ordering replacement disk, or because DRM refuses to run in newer or different operating software and company itself went bankrupt/does not care/anymore/refuses to support anything outside of their "policy". There is huge risk getting malware though, - while chance for it to crash or break in Linux is very high, windows malware still is very likely to run in Wine(!),
Personally, I have experienced all these options. DRM could be good sometimes, - theoretically - for example against online cheating. But practically, unless its extremely closed platform which is also old and hardly used by anyone - cheaters would still manage to overcome it. I have nothing against DRM that is used to prevent cheating and is not invasive, although overwatch-based mediation is still one of the best (example - Urban terror Admin Aliance, UAA).
Good thread and giveaway. I don't have many time now, but I will read it later. I use both Mint (with XFCE) and Debian (with Gnome Classic), they are my prefered distributions (I have also tried Ubuntu and Fedora) and I'm willing to try Arch when I have the time.

I'd like to enter for the following (in order of preference):
Transistor
Lords of Xulima
Neverwinter Nights
Sam & Max Hit the Road

Many thanks for the chance.
Lin545: Major bootloaders are Grub1, Grub2, Lilo, Syslinux/isolinux/extlinux
There's also Gummiboot, which works pretty well with UEFI systems. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm using. It's been so long since I installed Linux, that I can't remember for sure. I'm also Linux only, so I rarely see my bootloader.
hummer010: There's also Gummiboot, which works pretty well with UEFI systems. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm using. It's been so long since I installed Linux, that I can't remember for sure. I'm also Linux only, so I rarely see my bootloader.
It was apparently consumed by systemd. When will it consume wikipedia? =)

PS.
I actually like it.
triple_l: winxp desktop is the ugliest of all windows desktops
old win95 is way better and obviously vista is the best
but even ugly winxp is beautiful compared to the best linux desktops
Funny guy. Vista and 7 were pretty much inspired by a default KDE 4 look.

And KDE 5 is even more beautifull than KDE 4.
Post edited August 27, 2015 by astropup
Thanks for the responses, will move to GRUB 2 then. Didn't know the fate of LXDE, probably should migrate to XFCE for lightweight window manager, as for superb performance definitely KDE :) Btw the Mint 15 KDE install was kind of a problematic on a system with 2 GB of RAM (missing elements during install - buttons, text, whole windows etc.), but after that (installed system) it operates surprisingly fast :)
Ontopic: I'm not in. But found the topic interesting. Good job OP! :)
leon30: Thanks for the responses, will move to GRUB 2 then. Didn't know the fate of LXDE, probably should migrate to XFCE for lightweight window manager, as for superb performance definitely KDE :) Btw the Mint 15 KDE install was kind of a problematic on a system with 2 GB of RAM (missing elements during install - buttons, text, whole windows etc.), but after that (installed system) it operates surprisingly fast :)
Nvidia card using nouveau open driver?
Newer or very old nvidia cards may be very unlucky, because this driver while with very fine license may freeze the system. Same applies to very old or very new radeon hardware. Intel usually works as open driver is the only one available.

Nvidia closed driver is most stable and feature-complete, while AMD proprietary one looses there.
Funny, that vice versa - amd open driver (radeon) is very feature-complete and stable for much more hardware. It nearly matches amd proprietary one.

In case you need to disable open driver architecture and force vesa, while system is starting (at bootloader) supply parameter "nomodeset" (no modesetting) to kernel; this should give you unaccelerated, but stable vesa.

---
KDE will be fine on 2GiB () of RAM, unless your RAM is consumed by your browser's extensions, such as [url=https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#performance]adblock.
I had it consume about 800 MiB of RAM, mostly "thanks" to Akonadi engine that uses MySQL database to store from email to search cache. KDE thinks its acceptable loss...
Lin545: Everything with as, train your skills you must, young padawan :)
I humbly request your guidance, Master. In which picture ? (C'mon, it is already gifted right?)

Lin545: Well, noCD usually always work. ...
Interesting, so the malware could still running in Wine huh ? I guess Linux gamer community really has their own experiences with games. Actually, I also wondering about Steam on Linux. How many games are working ? do Steam provide guarantee that most of the games would run flawlessly ?
agylardi: I humbly request your guidance, Master. In which picture ? (C'mon, it is already gifted right?)
I don't think Hitman is given.
Adam?

#1 post rule: " - Please only enter for games that you're interested in, intend to play & won't just let rot in a backlog. "
My time is a bit short next months (work) for extra games. I don't have many, but currently its more than enough.

agylardi: Interesting, so the malware could still running in Wine huh ? I guess Linux gamer community really has their own experiences with games. Actually, I also wondering about Steam on Linux. How many games are working ? do Steam provide guarantee that most of the games would run flawlessly ?
Yes, Wine is bug-per-bug compatibility.
Lets see:

leon30: Thanks for the responses, will move to GRUB 2 then. Didn't know the fate of LXDE, probably should migrate to XFCE for lightweight window manager, as for superb performance definitely KDE :) Btw the Mint 15 KDE install was kind of a problematic on a system with 2 GB of RAM (missing elements during install - buttons, text, whole windows etc.), but after that (installed system) it operates surprisingly fast :)
Lin545: Nvidia card using nouveau open driver?
Newer or very old nvidia cards may be very unlucky, because this driver while with very fine license may freeze the system. Same applies to very old or very new radeon hardware. Intel usually works as open driver is the only one available.

Nvidia closed driver is most stable and feature-complete, while AMD proprietary one looses there.
Funny, that vice versa - amd open driver (radeon) is very feature-complete and stable for much more hardware. It nearly matches amd proprietary one.

In case you need to disable open driver architecture and force vesa, while system is starting (at bootloader) supply parameter "nomodeset" (no modesetting) to kernel; this should give you unaccelerated, but stable vesa.

---
KDE will be fine on 2GiB () of RAM, unless your RAM is consumed by your browser's extensions, such as [url=https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#performance]adblock.
I had it consume about 800 MiB of RAM, mostly "thanks" to Akonadi engine that uses MySQL database to store from email to search cache. KDE thinks its acceptable loss...
Well the problem was only during the install phase, after which everything was fine (I run a few steam games, and some videos without worries), yes the NVidia card was old - 7300GT if I remember correctly, and the cpu was slow 1 core, but I persisted and at the end KDE 4 was handling pretty well, just beware of the liveDVD version which seems heavier than the real deal :). As per AdBlock, it's gotten worse even on windows - some ads are not disabled by default, it's memory hungry and prone to hangs/crashes with not Mozilla/Chrome browsers. Btw do some of you guys use AV software on Linux? In the recent years they got quite common, every major AV company have a Linux edition.
Lin545: I don't think Hitman is given.
Oh. No. I meant Far Cry. I already found Hitman too. I thought when you mention stg83 is related to Far Cry. Was it different game ?

Lin545: Yes, Wine is bug-per-bug compatibility.
Lets see:

Alright. Thank you for the links.
leon30: Well the problem was only during the install phase, after which everything was fine (I run a few steam games, and some videos without worries), yes the NVidia card was old - 7300GT if I remember correctly, and the cpu was slow 1 core, but I persisted and at the end KDE 4 was handling pretty well, just beware of the liveDVD version which seems heavier than the real deal :). As per AdBlock, it's gotten worse even on windows - some ads are not disabled by default, it's memory hungry and prone to hangs/crashes with not Mozilla/Chrome browsers. Btw do some of you guys use AV software on Linux? In the recent years they got quite common, every major AV company have a Linux edition.
7300 is pretty old. I dont think Nvidia supports it, thats the catch. Even if it supports it, I dont think they patch it.
As of nouveau driver, have donated nvidia 6800gt to the team, so its realistic to assume that anything before 9800GT was reverse-engineered. Its a hit-or-miss minefield. Nvidia does not officially fund or support nouveau. UNlike AMD with its radeon driver.

That means, if you are on Nvidia hardware, make sure to have at least current card (current lowest nominator is Fermi) afaik; or supported by nouveau card. On AMD there are rough edges too, very ancient cards - basically anything before HD4000-era may not be supported fully as they have difficulty to find the documentation pieces themselves and not much interest to fix it.
Intel is rock solid in terms of support (usually), I have Pentium 4 as server with IGP from 2000, that is connected to my TV(1380x1000something). And it works.

What there can else be, is make sure you have "libtxc-dxtn" installed, the famous patented obligatory S3 texture compression. You may also ditch via patent-free "libtxc-dxtn-s2" if you want it all proper. But it must be there.

Where do you get that old hardware from? =) Or is it just for testing?

Regarding adblock, please do check the link in my post. There is some internal things, that cause such older - tech plugins consume huge amounts of RAM.

No, Linux does not need AV. All AV manufacturers I know, have either rewritten their AV-engines or ported/run them via wine/winelib, for only one reason - to check windows binaries and windows itself. For their own solutions, that usually check file traffic of windows binaries, or for their own products for desktop Windows.

There is an AV for Linux, but it is again, used to check windows binaries. There is a combination of factors, that causes Linux to not need any AV. They all come together. Let me sum up few of them:
1) software is pulled via encrypted or checksummed channels from secured central spot. Those locations are kept secure.
2) software itself is "Free Software" per license (not free software), the source is available and binaries are compiled from it; not just provided as convenience.
3) Linux binary file format is pretty fragile. while its possible to inject code into it, it breaks easily.
4) Linux filesystem and unix rights are both made with security in mind and easy to manage. That does not mean that they can't be improved further with application isolation, ACL and so on; but by default system is secure.
5) System allows you to manage it. You can break it, damage it, repair it. It will fully submits itself to root user, unlike windows where "administrator" account is not the top authority (but "system" is).

I think that sums it up. Linux machine can be defeated by selective hacking if you use weak passwords, does not update from insecure versions of packages, you download files from decentralized place or against closed-source software, including drivers and firmware. Of course, it won't protect against hardware sniffers and protocol weak spots (using Wifi without password on your router and main machine, and sending your sensitive data unencrypted via network).

The brightest example in contrast is Android.. while Android is mostly opensource - its "mostly" opensource. Also, userspace (interface is proprietary). It connects into proprietary sniffing network (Google+). There are a lot of applications on that network - and whilst Google smartly followed the same way of isolating application sources - it allows them to be proprietary and closed source. That means, malware can be easily uploaded. To compensate, Google secured the "root" password to itself in order to "pull out the malware already installed on devices". What gives? Not only has google full control of your device (root!), but also they can only pull back after the damage is done. This is why you don't install everything from Google Market; but you CAN install anything from official Debian repository and expect it to contain no malware.