It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

"fallout bethesda" returned 20 posts
Clear search criteria
Haven't played any of them.
Your title is a bit inaccurate imo, as far as I can tell, most of the games you listed were inspired by Baldur's Gate (e. g. Pillars of eternity was marketed as a spiritual successor) or at least have similar gameplay. Fallout 1/2 are rather different imo (e. g. you can have companions, but you don't have the kind of control over them you have in Baldur's Gate; also no magic).
morolf: Haven't played any of them.
Your title is a bit inaccurate imo, as far as I can tell, most of the games you listed were inspired by Baldur's Gate (e. g. Pillars of eternity was marketed as a spiritual successor) or at least have similar gameplay. Fallout 1/2 are rather different imo (e. g. you can have companions, but you don't have the kind of control over them you have in Baldur's Gate; also no magic).
Well a Fallout 1 and a Baldur's Gate 1 are far more similar then comparing Fallout 1 with Diablo 1.
I remember Pillars of Eternity as the big one when it was announced with exquisite images like this. I remember being quite excited to see a proper return by a big developer to the more classic isometric perspective for RPGs.
Ditto for 2012's XCom:EU, especially after the horrid disappointment of Syndicate's reveal as an FPS.
Ditto (x2) for Wasteland 2, but unfortunately for me it didn't really manage to capture Fallout 1&2's magic.
If memory serves PoE's announcement and preliminary screenshots preceded all of these.
Post edited August 31, 2020 by Matewis
I haven't played Tyranny and Disco Elysium yet, and I've played very little of Tides of Numenera. I've played through Pillars of Eternity completely, halfway through D:OS and WL2, and I've played 2 and a half of the Shadowrun trilogy.

Of these, Pillars of Eternity was the one that brought me back to the era of BG the most. It really felt like traveling back in time and experiencing it again, but in a good sense, as if I had discovered a lost title of the era, with enhanced graphics and a little more modern comfort. In that regard, I loved it. On the whole, as a game, I didn't think it was very memorable though. Despite the fun I had with exploration and combat, in the story department, it just wasn't all that creative and original to me, too much deja vu there, and this time in a bad sense. I also really disliked the dialogues with the two characters written by Chris Avellone, despite being a huge fan of PS:T, they just didn't fit in the game and were a huge distraction, and I thought the same about the backer content, which thankfully was easier to ignore though.

Wasteland 2 also brought back memories and did feel a bit like the little I've played of Fallout, and I really enjoyed the first half, but it was also a bit unremarkable and flawed, from what I remember; like, it could be incredibly nitpicky about the order in which you had to do little things and it was really hard not to screw up some quests. And later on the combat encounters got a bit tedious and repetitive. Lots of love in it, but not the best game design.

The little I have seen of Tides of Numenera was pretty disappointing, made me feel like it was put together as an homage to PS:T without the people working on it really understanding what was great about that game. (Hint: It was not the word count, but how the words were used to draw the player in.) But I think I've only played it for an hour or so, so it's probably unfair to judge it based only on that. Could be it just starts slow and rather weakly, compared to the fantastic beginning of PS:T.

The Shadowrun games were great. To me, they didn't really feel like a throwback to the age of the Infinity Engine though, they were their own thing, felt newer and more original, despite borrowing some Bioware formulas. Maybe also because the setting hadn't been overdone in CRPGs yet. I liked the first and loved the second, and the third is good, too, although for some reason I've never finished it.

In terms of most remarkable game in the genre though, I'd say that's D:OS. The storytelling is pretty much a matter of taste, the plot not all that spectacular and the writing a bit too flowery and wordy for my taste, but IMO it has the most innovative and enjoyable combat system of all and so many neat little features that make the game design feel fresher than the rest.
Post edited August 31, 2020 by Leroux
I haven't played them all yet, but my favorite as of now might be Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Which I kind of feel bad about saying, since it's arguably more of a strategy game than pure RPG, and smaller in scale. Its writing and setting are just really good, and that outweighs other factors for me.

Divinity OS is maybe the most successful, but probably my least favorite, just because its story and setting are so amazingly bland and boring. I know people say that about Pillars, but honestly it's way better than Divinity OS on that front in my opinion. I started skipping dialog in Divinity, which I never usually do, and still couldn't finish it.

I think Pathfinder Kingmaker might be my favorite BG style real-time with pause one. It just captured me a bit more than Pillars. Haven't played Pillars 2 yet though.

Really need to get around to Underrail, which a lot of people consider the best "Fallout-a-like."
StingingVelvet: I haven't played them all yet, but my favorite as of now might be Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Which I kind of feel bad about saying, since it's arguably more of a strategy game than pure RPG, and smaller in scale. Its writing and setting are just really good, and that outweighs other factors for me.

Divinity OS is maybe the most successful, but probably my least favorite, just because its story and setting are so amazingly bland and boring. I know people say that about Pillars, but honestly it's way better than Divinity OS on that front in my opinion. I started skipping dialog in Divinity, which I never usually do, and still couldn't finish it.

I think Pathfinder Kingmaker might be my favorite BG style real-time with pause one. It just captured me a bit more than Pillars. Haven't played Pillars 2 yet though.

Really need to get around to Underrail, which a lot of people consider the best "Fallout-a-like."
ATOM RPG is also quite good.
paladin181: ATOM RPG is also quite good.
This, this game's a really good Fallout-like. 'm also having a ton of fun with Wasteland 3 so far (on gamepass)
Pheace: This, this game's a really good Fallout-like. 'm also having a ton of fun with Wasteland 3 so far (on gamepass)
wasteland 2 is pretty amazing too

and maybe pathfinder though i still have to really dive into that one
Pheace: This, this game's a really good Fallout-like. 'm also having a ton of fun with Wasteland 3 so far (on gamepass)
Good for you, you get the game for next to nothing and those who buy it here pay £65. Good to support subscription gaming too.
From that list, I've played PoE and I'm currently playing Original Sin 1. Most of the others are on my (lengthy) 'to-play' list.

For me, a very welcome trend is the move towards turn-based combat, which seems to be the case for a few of the more recent PC RPGs. I have played most of the old Bioware Infinity Engine games and I am a big fan of them; however, I never really liked the real-time-with-pause system that much. I mean, those old games were great and I got used to it, but it always struck me as a bit of a strange choice for a game that is trying to faithfully recreate a pen & paper RPG that is inherently turn-based.

Turn-based combat to me always feels more faithful to a real pen & paper experience. Even though it wasn't a great game, the combat in Temple of Elemental Evil by Troika felt like it was the right way to do it. The turn-based combat was also (imo) a strength of the original Fallout games.

PoE is a great game with excellent writing and their combat system works fine, but to me it is a little 'backward-oriented'. It seems to be more focused on conjuring up the nostalgia of the Infinity Engine, rather than innovating. On the other hand, I love the turn-based combat in D:OS and how the engine is generally more progressive. I'm really hoping we'll get the best of both worlds with Baldur's Gate 3 - the higher-quality writing and more serious tone of PoE, but with the turn-based combat and more modern engine of OS.
Pheace: I really enjoyed pathfinder at launch, though it was still quite buggy and I didn't finish it (but that's rare for me anyway).

Definitely looking forward to going back to it now that it's definitive.
RPGFanboy: I finished pathfinder a this year. I don't remember any bugs I ran into (and they recently fixed ever more stuff)

Great game, one of my favorite isometric WRPGs in recent years.
Pathfinder looks interesting, but I've seen/read a lot of mixed reviews about it (e.g. on the GOG store page). I don't know how much is true, but I've heard many of the quests are 'timed' and that you can quite easily fail them without even realizing.
Post edited August 31, 2020 by Time4Tea
ATOM RPG
UnderRail
for Fallout inspired games

Grimoire
for Wizardry inspired games

Funny that the real gems had less hype than some of these bigger titles.
Leroux: Just out of curiosity, is there any RPG you rate higher than 8/10?
Depends on your definition of RPG :D But according to my definition there are plenty of such games. If we are going to take isometric games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout 1 and 2: then Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, Divinity: Original Sin, Planescape: Torment and (probably) Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Leroux: Just out of curiosity, is there any RPG you rate higher than 8/10?
Mafwek: Depends on your definition of RPG :D But according to my definition there are plenty of such games. If we are going to take isometric games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout 1 and 2: then Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, Divinity: Original Sin, Planescape: Torment and (probably) Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Arcanum's seriously underrated, IMHO.

I still got Pathfinder KM backlogged. I need to get around to that one.
Haven't played any of the games that OP listed, so I have to pick Underrail in the Fallout revival category. I went pretty far in the game but I got bored at the end and didn't finish it. Nonetheless, I found interesting that Underrail is not trying to be another Fallout and has its own character.
RPGFanboy: I finished pathfinder a this year. I don't remember any bugs I ran into (and they recently fixed ever more stuff)

Great game, one of my favorite isometric WRPGs in recent years.
Radiance1979: crpg's ?

i mean if W stands for western then the j should be replaced with an A .... and a bit quick mind you
Here's how I see it:

CRPG: Any RPG that is played on a computer or other computing device. (This includes console RPGs; what it does not include are table top RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons (but there are CRPGs based on that ruleset).)

JRPG: Any CRPG in the style that's popular among Japanese developers, regardless of whether said game is actually from Japan. Costume Quest is one example of a JRPG that isn't from Japan, and there are others (I think Pier Solar might be one).

WRPG: Any CRPG in the style that's popular in the west; in other words, not the style popular in Japan.

ARPG: An action game with elements borrowed from the RPG genre. It stands for Action RPG, as many people consider these games to be RPGs (I do not, but that's for another topic).

Back to the main topic (sort of), I would personally like to see a revival of the types of WRPG that proceeded games like Baldur's Gate and Fallout, as I actually prefer the early examples of the genre to the more modern one. Also, a revival of the sort of games that came out before genre conventions were firmly established would be interesting. (Think Ultima 1 with its lack of maximum HP, or Oubliette with dice being rolled to determine whether you qualify for a level up when you kill or are killed.)