It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matewis: Looks like a pretty big embark size? 5x4?
Oh, it's quite a bit larger than that. Anyway to tell aside from retiring the fortress? I regret having it as large as whatever it is. No FPS problems currently, but only in the second year. I thought I would be able to change it later, but maybe not...

Matewis: When I played I also liked going for a mountain with a brook :) To get by the freezing problem I would try to build an underground aqueduct that used the brook to fill up an underground reservoir with a series of sluice gates. Though often I couldn't get it done it time
I went with an underground well. I did some flailing around when everything was still frozen. I actually have ramps from the z level below across the width of the brook where I mined through the wall. Didn't help as everything was still frozen.
The floodgates are there as I didn't trust it to stay that way. Which was a good thing when it finally melted. I did need to mine my way into the reservoir after the fact to have a good spot for the well.
Attachments:
I'm surprised by how many old games from the early 2000s have been patched by the fans and how good they look after 20 years, PC gaming is amazing :)
Attachments:
cmr2000.jpg (480 Kb)
Gydion: ...
Well you could count the tiles :) 1x1 I just checked is 48x48 tiles. But I quickly checked from the size of the image in paint. Looks like you went for 7x6! I'd be too afraid to go for that size :P Though to be fair, most of my fps drop seemed to come from dwarf numbers. Once I reach about 100 it starts to become a problem, but that was ages on an older build with a weaker pc. If a try again I might dare 6x5 (or chicken out and take 5x4 / 4x5) or reallly 'chicken' out and try Rimworld instead :)

Yeah the underground well works great. My underground reservoir acted as a giant well too. The first room when you entered I made a big hall with iirc 4 wells descending into the reservoir for fresh water year round. Bit of an overkill granted.

resisting urge to install DF again...

OT trying and I suspect failing at Civ 3 emperor playthrough. At least managed to get the Great Library. Now I have to make a beeline for the Sistine Chapel.
Attachments:
civ_3.jpg (484 Kb)
Mass Effect. Had to take a picture on a site because there are a lot of troubles taking a screenshot in game.

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/mass-effect/visual-experience/mass-effect-mako-feros-highway-thumb.jpg
Blade Runner, a masterpiece.
Attachments:
After a very long and costly war with England I finally control almost all of the continent. It might just be enough to keep my slight tech lead on the Emperor AI's (courtesy of the Theory of Evolution wonder)
I know I have rubber, but am still keeping my fingers crossed for oil and aluminium. I got screwed out of iron initially, which was part of the reason for the war with England. Some iron in the hills surrounding London.
Attachments:
1490ad.jpg (483 Kb)
palace.jpg (329 Kb)
Matewis: After a very long and costly war with England I finally control almost all of the continent. It might just be enough to keep my slight tech lead on the Emperor AI's (courtesy of the Theory of Evolution wonder)
I know I have rubber, but am still keeping my fingers crossed for oil and aluminium. I got screwed out of iron initially, which was part of the reason for the war with England. Some iron in the hills surrounding London.
The palace... the real satisfaction of that game :)
Matewis: After a very long and costly war with England I finally control almost all of the continent. It might just be enough to keep my slight tech lead on the Emperor AI's (courtesy of the Theory of Evolution wonder)
XzAr_79: The palace... the real satisfaction of that game :)
Yeah, sadly the series' swan song for the palace and city view :( Though I have to say both were done better in the original game.
Here's hoping either makes a comeback in a subsequent title. Granted chances are very poor for the city view returning, but perhaps we'll see the palace or at least the throne room again.
Matewis: Yeah, sadly the series' swan song for the palace and city view :( Though I have to say both were done better in the original game.
I remember when I bought civ v how much i was disappointed by the lack of palace and city view. I know that they're not so important for gameplay, but it was a sort of compensation for your efforts to make a good work with your "people".

Matewis: Granted chances are very poor for the city view returning, but perhaps we'll see the palace or at least the throne room again.
Maybe one day... but I'm a pessimistic person so I don't think so :(
Civ 3 emperor game getting tense...

Byzantines started to run away from the rest in my game and were poised to take over their entire super continent, which would probably have meant game over for me. The Hittites are a larger nation on the same continent, but for some reason not as advanced, and so unable to deal with Byzantine tanks and infantry. The Spanish also share the continent, but have been reduced almost to complete irrelevance by ongoing wars.

This is a typical lategame civ3 headache, but fortunately as it turned out, my possible saving grace was that I didn't have any oil on my continent (which I share with Russia and Japan). Normally this would be a severe kick in the nuts, being unable to build any mechanized units like bombers or tanks. But in this case I noticed a strategic piece of unclaimed marshland (1 solitary tile) close to the nexus point of Spain, Byzantine and the Hittite kingdom. A few tiles away from this marsh tile there was an oil deposit, technically part of Spain, but not close enough to their cities for them to hold on to it if a settlement expanded even once on the marsh tile.

So I loaded up two galleons with a settler, 3 workers, 2 artillery and 2 infantry units and crossed the ocean to the marsh. It took 2 turns to drain the marshland before I could settle, and I promptly secured the oil deposit.
Seeing as the Hittites, Spain and myself were at war with Byzantine at the time, this nexus point quickly turned into a massive war zone.
Luckily, even though Byzantine and myself were on equal footing technologically, their modern age research consisted only of ecology, whereas mine consisted of computers. They could build recycling centers, but I could build mechanized infantry, the best defensive unit in the game, with a very decent attack.

I thus had better units for the war, which nullified Byzantine's numerical advantage somewhat. The problem though was that I was on Byzantine turf, and ocean away from my factories. Using transports are too costly, too dangerous and too time consuming, so I reassigned most of my workers to build airports so that I could airlift tanks, artillery, mechanized infantry, workers and whatever else I needed en masse. Stuff that I could actually build with my new oil income.

The end result was several turns of intense airlifting, bombing and fighting, until I got enough of a foothold to destroy two Byzantine cities and capture one more, Leipzig (yeah, Germany was swallowed up by the Hittites and Byzantines).
This netted me a choke point between Byzantine and the Hittites. The former were very, very far from spent, but luckily they were prepared to declare peace, which gifted me the golden opportunity to seal off Byzantine from the Hittite part of the super continent with a wall of units.
Now I'm hoping that with Byzantine at least temporarily cut off, the Hittites can consolidate their position and reclaim a few cities. Especially now since I gave them tech to build tanks. In the meantime I'm going to reinforce that entire area as quickly as possible with fortresses and barricades along its border, for the inevitable war that will follow in 20-30 turns.
Attachments:
airports.jpg (494 Kb)
It has been some years since I last played through the Freelancer storyline and I suddenly felt the urge.

New Tokyo wasn't designed with widescreen in mind.

Arriving at Shinagawa Station for a clandestine meeting with Juni and Ozu.
Serren: It has been some years since I last played through the Freelancer storyline and I suddenly felt the urge.

New Tokyo wasn't designed with widescreen in mind.

Arriving at Shinagawa Station for a clandestine meeting with Juni and Ozu.
I really wish this game will be available some day...
XzAr_79: I really wish this game will be available some day...
Me too. I would happily buy both Starlancer and Freelancer a second time if they were released on GOG.
low rated
XzAr_79: I really wish this game will be available some day...
Serren: Me too. I would happily buy both Starlancer and Freelancer a second time if they were released on GOG.
I know...I have both on disc, but would also buy them here for myself and others. :)

(only played half of freelancer due to pc issues over the years[losing data, etc] and still have yet to play starlancer, but they are/seem to be great games)
Finally managed to beat my 35 hour civ3 emperor game with a science victory. I'm going to lie down...
Attachments:
spaceship.jpg (287 Kb)
launch.jpg (82 Kb)
greece.jpg (492 Kb)
athens.jpg (337 Kb)
Post edited March 27, 2020 by Matewis