It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matewis: Yeah, but you know I kind of prefer it this way for Sunless Sea. A major part of the appeal for me is the atmosphere, and the brutality of the world plays into that for me. It's tense, but also exciting exploring all the island events with that backdrop of fear/uncertainty. To be fair though, I don't know if this is also your impression and if I'm remembering this correctly: Those deadly terror events don't tend to drop out of the blue (or black rather). E.g. that deep pit you can descend into on that post-office-island-thing. It's kind of to be expected that something very bad can happen, so I make sure that I have enough supplies on me before I try. Just for in case :)
I'm totally onboard with the mood they created for the game, but after losing 18 captains and tons of progress, having to restart and do everything all over again is starting to irritate me. Hell, I almost quit yesterday after losing my last few hit points to a tiny Jellyfish that was aggroing me.

As for the major Terror events, here's the most ridiculous example I can remember. During my first few playthroughs, meeting the Commodore at Zelo's Town went pleasantly enough. Suddenly, on a different playthrough, talking to him got me +20 something Terror (which ended my game shortly thereafter). According to the wiki, there's a 30% chance that the dialogue will give you +25 Terror. Maybe it has storyline implications, but I just think it's bullshit. That is a far cry from, say, choosing to explore a creepy-looking pit when your protective stat is only 22%.
lanipcga: ...
Ah I see. I think you've gotten much further than me then, because I haven't lost close to 18 captains. I got exhausted before I even lost I think 10 captains. That's the problem with this kind of game. The more times you start over the less patient you become (or at least I did) and so you die for more and more stupid reasons. So I figured I'd just give the game a break and come back a couple years later for a fresh attempt, with the benefit of valuable ingame knowledge. Though I want to try it with zubmariner, otherwise 80% of the game will just be revisiting places I'd seen before.
Poor old Gwengy. I captured him long ago in Welsh-Irish war, and kind of forgot about him when I discovered no-one wanted to pay his ransom. Felt sorry for the guy and released him, since he couldn't do much harm anyway.
Attachments:
low rated
Tod87: I always feel the urge of playing tomb raider games near Christmas
Noice
Matewis: Ah I see. I think you've gotten much further than me then, because I haven't lost close to 18 captains. I got exhausted before I even lost I think 10 captains. That's the problem with this kind of game. The more times you start over the less patient you become (or at least I did) and so you die for more and more stupid reasons. So I figured I'd just give the game a break and come back a couple years later for a fresh attempt, with the benefit of valuable ingame knowledge. Though I want to try it with zubmariner, otherwise 80% of the game will just be revisiting places I'd seen before.
Oh, I was under the impression that you finished the game. From what I've seen, nobody's died as many times as I have. I play as carefully as I can, but I always get snuffed by Terror or a relentless enemy ship/monster.

I was going to post a new screenshot or two, but sadly, my 19th captain bit the dust. This damned game.
lanipcga: Oh, I was under the impression that you finished the game. From what I've seen, nobody's died as many times as I have. I play as carefully as I can, but I always get snuffed by Terror or a relentless enemy ship/monster.

I was going to post a new screenshot or two, but sadly, my 19th captain bit the dust. This damned game.
Oh no I wish :) I got pretty far, having explored I think at least 80% of the map and completing several islands' stories. The last time I played I think I got iirc 3 stonemen or something from one island who became permanent crew that don't need to eat. Pretty big advantage. Or at least I tried to get them again - like most anything that quest can go pear shaped as well.
Troll Slayers!
Attachments:
trolls.jpg (454 Kb)
Sarafan: Troll Slayers!
OMG! Totally NSFW! =P
Mr.Mumbles: OMG! Totally NSFW! =P
And let me guess. You viewed this at work... ;)
Go and take a swim you filthy creature. Stop spamming spider!

Blood - Death Wish
Attachments:
Finally playing through 2013's Tomb Raider, and relieved to see that the hype was justified.
Attachments:
slide.jpg (404 Kb)
temple.jpg (408 Kb)
nice_view.jpg (276 Kb)
Matewis: Finally playing through 2013's Tomb Raider, and relieved to see that the hype was justified.
I liked the game as well, alas I hit a chokepoint where I kept dying again and again in a fight against baddies who shoot at Lara from several directions in a crowded space where there's little cover and laying them down quick is of the essence. I'm not good with reflexes, too old for that.
Matewis: Finally playing through 2013's Tomb Raider, and relieved to see that the hype was justified.
DubConqueror: I liked the game as well, alas I hit a chokepoint where I kept dying again and again in a fight against baddies who shoot at Lara from several directions in a crowded space where there's little cover and laying them down quick is of the essence. I'm not good with reflexes, too old for that.
Yup, the game does on occasion like to throw a lot of enemies at you I've noticed. Other than that I'm enjoying it a great deal.
- Shit's on fire yo
- Sneaking in the woods
- There's nothing quite a day at the beach
Attachments:
fire.jpg (335 Kb)
sneak.jpg (326 Kb)
beach.jpg (350 Kb)
Matewis: - There's nothing quite...
...like being impaled on a piece of wood. ;) Some of the deaths in this game can be quite gruesome. Cue Clueless Gamer.
Post edited December 05, 2019 by Mr.Mumbles