It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Heretic777: Killing Time (works fine without Steam) on Windows 10
muntdefems: Errr... which one? xD

https://store.steampowered.com/app/493320/Killing_Time/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/686190/Killing_Time/
The retro FPS game by 3DO.
MarkoH01: Yes. You will have to beat a bit from the game before you will be able to do so.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/253230/discussions/1/1733213724899676660/
Unfortunately the DLC does not unlock if you dpn't use Steam or have the DRM-free version (I tried it myself and all you get is a page telling you how to buy the DLC).
i've noticed a few titles have a dlc lock. are the majority of steam drm-free games like this?
Heretic777: The retro FPS game by 3DO.
Alright, added! :)
MarkoH01: Yes. You will have to beat a bit from the game before you will be able to do so.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/253230/discussions/1/1733213724899676660/
Unfortunately the DLC does not unlock if you dpn't use Steam or have the DRM-free version (I tried it myself and all you get is a page telling you how to buy the DLC).
timmy010: i've noticed a few titles have a dlc lock. are the majority of steam drm-free games like this?
The ones I've run into like Hat in Time and Aragami are but many games' soundtracks and art books are untied as long as you have the game downloaded. I got the soundtrack and art book for Shadow Warrior from the download itself. It requires no client.

When you're talking about expansions and missions, like in Aragami and Hat in Time, those are tied with the client, at least in the two games I've mentioned above. Each developer, of course decides on this separately.
vidsgame: The ones I've run into like Hat in Time and Aragami are but many games' soundtracks and art books are untied as long as you have the game downloaded. I got the soundtrack and art book for Shadow Warrior from the download itself. It requires no client.

When you're talking about expansions and missions, like in Aragami and Hat in Time, those are tied with the client, at least in the two games I've mentioned above. Each developer, of course decides on this separately.
so how does for example witcher 3 expansion pass work on steam? i'm only passing on the rumor that witcher 3 steam is drm-free, since i have it here i have no need to get it off steam. would the expansion require steam like a hat in time and overcooked does?
vidsgame: The ones I've run into like Hat in Time and Aragami are but many games' soundtracks and art books are untied as long as you have the game downloaded. I got the soundtrack and art book for Shadow Warrior from the download itself. It requires no client.

timmy010: so how does for example witcher 3 expansion pass work on steam? i'm only passing on the rumor that witcher 3 steam is drm-free, since i have it here i have no need to get it off steam. would the expansion require steam like a hat in time and overcooked does?
I wish I could tell you but I only have Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition on Steam but I own Witcher 3 here on GOG but I'm fairly sure that they should be DRM-Free as well. Otherwise, maybe it's one of those games where you could get a copy of the game from GOG when you have the game on Steam. I'm unable to confirm, though for the above reason. Someone who owns the game on Steam would be able to confirm.
I've seen the main list and The Treasures Of Montezuma 3 is not there, and is a game that can be played without the Steam application running. Actually, it is recommended to do it that way because is has a nasty memory leak problem (bug?) that was never fixed. Over time the game consumes more and more memory, and when is near 2 GB starts with sounds problems and soon when it reaches 2 GB it crashes. When Steam is running in the background this happens around at 30 minutes of playing, but without it, it takes much longer than that. So once the game is using more than 1 GB of RAM it's better to quit and close it to save properly, and re-launch it, to keep playing.

I've tested this myself, you only need to create a shortcut somewhere to the main EXE or execute it directly with Steam closed, and that's it. No Steam involved, because it's never launched along with it.
Azrael360: I've seen the main list and The Treasures Of Montezuma 3 is not there, and is a game that can be played without the Steam application running.
Added it, thanks!

I've also added Cultist Simulator, which runs fine without Steam (or at least the Linux build does).
A couple of adventure games:

The Great Fusion

Works perfectly. However the achievements are apparently completely in the Steam client, as there's no trace of them in the game itself.

Fairy Tale About Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya

I didn't really play it, but checked that it runs.
It should be all DRM-free though, as it is also listed such here
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fairy_Tale_About_Father_Frost,_Ivan_and_Nastya

I did my testing on a Windows 10 system.
Friend just gave me a link which outline how to download old versions of games from Steam. Could be useful for getting around that pesky update that makes the game client dependent.

Reddit Guide: How to download older versions of a game on Steam.
Okay, I just added The Great Fusion and the Father Frost game, as well as the VR game, Evasion. Thanks again to any contributors for the help. :D

Also, another Epic store discovery: Ashen is DRM-free. I ended up refunding it, because I couldn't get the online co-op working AT ALL, but if you want to play it solo, then you can do so without the launcher.
So for Epic, it's Ashen, Axiom Verge and Jackbox Party Pack 1 as far as I know that are official client free.

There is also a trick to getting a game to launch without the launcher:

Create a shortcut for a game. Let's take Subnautica, for example, after creating the shortcut, go to properties of the shortcut and to the target field text box, at the end of path where it says \Subnautica\Subnautica.exe, replace with Subnautica.exe -EpicPortal.

This was pointed out by CraigGen_1970. As far as I know, it launches nothing in the background in terms of the Epic Client and I have tried it while I was completely unconnected to the internet. It also saves just fine, at least for Subnautica.
vidsgame: So for Epic, it's Ashen, Axiom Verge and Jackbox Party Pack 1 as far as I know that are official client free.
You can add Super Meat Boy to the list as well (which seems to be DRM-free everywhere).
Post edited February 25, 2019 by MarkoH01
Who's gonna create the "EpicStore games you can play without the Epic client" thread? :P
Jonathan_The_Gamer has pointed out that...

Half-Life is perfectly playable in Xash3D engine.

Too bad Opposing Force and Blue Shift has some bugs.

http://www.moddb.com/engines/xash3d-engine

Ste by step guide: http://www.moddb.com/engines/xash3d-engine/features/running-half-life-under-xash3d-users-manual-english

You should be able to add this in the patchable games section, right? It does indeed work as I've tried it myself and can confirm. I have yet to see the game on the Wiki itself is why I'm bringing it up again.