It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.

See what the update is all about.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by maladr0Id
high rated
-cerberus-: I'm a special snowflake and want all of my games library to feature an instant gratification button that takes me to the ending.
I realize it's [current year] but perhaps dev's can grow a pair & cease to appeal to the lowest common fucking denominator for one nanosecond, and instead concentrate fully on their next project, yeah?

That being said, if someone here felt the need for the inclusion of baby-mode, fine, it is optional after all. Just know that this quite possibly means you aren't the target audience for these types of mature games.
"Mature" is the one thing you're certainly not right now. Why be so insulting and condescending? It's just a game. I personally have no interest in SOMA either way, but there might very well be people much smarter and more "mature" than either of us, who just want to relax and play the game for it's story and exploration without having to worry about a "game over" screen. It's simply idiotic and childish to make such generalising and insulting remarks about people based on their prefered mode in a computer game.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Breja
high rated
Good to hear. Now the game is accessible to more people. Those who enjoy the terror aspect still have their game, and those who want a good story and interesting environment exploration have their game, too.

The wonderful thing about gaming is that nobody gets to dictate to you what is and isn't fun; you enjoy games on your own terms. This is a rare game that executes two genres well–in this case horror and adventure. Fans of each will have a lot to love about it.
nice, I may actually play this now, been sitting in my library for ages but I couldnt screw up the nerve to start it
-cerberus-: I'm a special snowflake and want all of my games library to feature an instant gratification button that takes me to the ending.
I realize it's [current year] but perhaps dev's can grow a pair & cease to appeal to the lowest common fucking denominator for one nanosecond, and instead concentrate fully on their next project, yeah?

That being said, if someone here felt the need for the inclusion of baby-mode, fine, it is optional after all. Just know that this quite possibly means you aren't the target audience for these types of mature games.
it's not a kindergarten. what you say doesn't make you look "cool" man. it really doesn't. more like the opposite, yeah. :|
high rated
The game just got released on Xbox One, so I imagine Safe Mode is something they worked on as a kind of consolation for that platform's late release. Something that then carried over to the other versions so that no one feels like they're missing out on content or have a lesser version of the game.

Given the "second-class citizens" GOGmix and the fact that it's 100% optional and free (and the way the new mode came later and thus didn't take time and effort away from the default experience), isn't that exactly what they're supposed to do?
Can I please have this update for every horror game in existence.

edit: Actually on a more serious note, I always felt like the hide from the monster horror gameplay was needless ballast to an otherwise stellar sci-fi story. And I may now play Soma myself instead of just watching LPs of it.
Post edited December 02, 2017 by LittleCritter
high rated
There is nothing wrong with options. Safe Mode isn't mandatory so I don't see a reason for all the fuss.

I personally didn't find monsters scary, but they were sometimes frustrating, mostly because of something dumb I did and got killed by them. And I am not really a big fan of first person horror games. Too much stress for my taste in most of them. But SOMA was a great experience.

Anyway, great game! Go play it if you haven't already. With or without Safe Mode turned on.
low rated
the issue with shit like this is it shows the developers have no artistic integrity, they're just willing to cater to whiny ppl because they want more money

makes me way less interested in the game knowing they're willing to sacrifice their original vision for money
high rated
Well, it's optional, so no reason for all the butthurt.
Post edited December 02, 2017 by pacciulli
low rated
GOG.com: Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters.
Should read: "Make no mistake, though: there will still be monsters." A proofreader would be well warranted.

EDIT: I guess the "here there..." part is a pun on "Here there be dragons". Oh well, my mistake. In my opinion though, it still kind of falls flat when inserted into a sentence with that verbiage.
Post edited December 02, 2017 by Stormwalker
low rated
MadalinStroe: This is great news, thank you for this! If even one person buys SOMA because of this option, then it was worth adding it.

I'm baffled by people mocking this option. How does it spoil your enjoyment of the game? I'd rather have proper, Cuphead level of difficult games, that I can enjoy, with an added braindead easy option, than a forgettably mediocre game, just to cater to the average player.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I not only mock the option itself, I also mock the anxiety-ridden snowflakes who would actually make use of such an option, as well as the culture that begat such soft, spineless waifs.
GOG.com: Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters.
Stormwalker: Should read: "Make no mistake, though: there will still be monsters." A proofreader would be well warranted.
It's a pun on "Here there be dragons" from the old maps, before Earth was fully explored.
I don't own the game, but I can see how this might be appealing in at least one circumstance. There are games out there where the developers spent a lot of effort creating a really cool world to play around in, but then the gameplay itself doesn't really give you a chance to explore it. For example, imagine a level with a tight time limit.

So is this the type of game where you don't really get to explore all that the developers created, because of the enemies you encounter or because the story pushes you along before you get a chance to check out that cool thing over in the corner? If so, then the optional mode sounds fine to me. Don't see how it's much different than some other genre / game offering, say, a sandbox mode.
high rated
drealmer7: the issue with shit like this is it shows the developers have no artistic integrity, they're just willing to cater to whiny ppl because they want more money

makes me way less interested in the game knowing they're willing to sacrifice their original vision for money
It's worth noting that they had considered having a mode like this before the game was even released. It arguably was a part of their "original vision" even if it didn't make it into the first release version.

Regardless, I don't see how this sacrifices anything. It's a completely optional mode of play, and has no effect on those who would prefer to play with deadly monsters. I could understand the backlash if Safe Mode was the only way to play the game after this update, but it's just an option. To see so many people getting riled up about it is bizarre.
low rated
Breja: Calm down, nothing has been removed It's an optional mode. Don't want it, don't use it. No harm done.
Don't like my post? Don't read it! See, that phrase is stupid no matter what it's referring to. They made the decision to do this, I should be able to give my thoughts on it without kids using the "you MUST be mad" and "no negative comments allowed!!!" parroting with zero actual points every 3 seconds.