It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hedwards: You may disagree, but activity is hardly the same thing as health. A lot of that activity is just that activity. People giving away free stuff and bitching about whatever it is that GOG has done wrong this time.
Darling_Jimmy: As I recall, there was always a lot of bitching. I suppose—to some extent—it could be considered constructive bitching. I dunno, aside from a change in core community members (or maybe some people just changed their handles and avatars) it doesn't look like much else has changed.
I suppose, but the site is in a rather poor state, when I want to log in, I have to engage in some hackery because they can't be bothered to fix the login. The site, by default, won't accept my login if I don't type it in any fewer than 6 times.

Gog Galaxy has a huge number of problems with it.

They are taking in more money now than before, but they can't possibly be turning the sort of profit on it that it might seem as they seem to lack the money necessary to properly fund operations. There's still no full-time mods here. Not even any contractors.
Barry_Woodward: That's the thing, communities change. Peoples' priorities change. No matter what, a certain number of members would have moved on or drifted away, and maybe even more would have without all GOG has been able to accomplish over the years. Embrace the change.
They do, but watching GOG slide has been rather painful. Things do change over time, but GOG's seemingly suicidal behavior is rather painful to watch. People are going to come and go and that is inevitable. What's not inevitable is the way the site has become so bug infested that it's a huge pain to come here. The complete lack of oversight of the people posting and the lack of respect that Mr. Gog has for the people that have invested rather amount of unpaid time promoting them over the years.
mintee: No, they are already experiencing growing pains with the recent rapid influx of customers and should concentrate on getting Galaxy fine tuned, dealing with scammers and setting out the substrate of their business plan before delving into other media and their subsequent problems they entail.
This.

Until they can fix the serious problems with the website and Galaxy any further expansions should be limited to new publishers in things they're already selling. And probably until they've got a half-way decent selection of movies as well.
Post edited September 06, 2015 by hedwards
Darling_Jimmy: As I recall, there was always a lot of bitching. I suppose—to some extent—it could be considered constructive bitching. I dunno, aside from a change in core community members (or maybe some people just changed their handles and avatars) it doesn't look like much else has changed.
hedwards: I suppose, but the site is in a rather poor state, when I want to log in, I have to engage in some hackery because they can't be bothered to fix the login. The site, by default, won't accept my login if I don't type it in any fewer than 6 times.

Gog Galaxy has a huge number of problems with it.

They are taking in more money now than before, but they can't possibly be turning the sort of profit on it that it might seem as they seem to lack the money necessary to properly fund operations. There's still no full-time mods here. Not even any contractors.
Barry_Woodward: That's the thing, communities change. Peoples' priorities change. No matter what, a certain number of members would have moved on or drifted away, and maybe even more would have without all GOG has been able to accomplish over the years. Embrace the change.
hedwards: They do, but watching GOG slide has been rather painful. Things do change over time, but GOG's seemingly suicidal behavior is rather painful to watch. People are going to come and go and that is inevitable. What's not inevitable is the way the site has become so bug infested that it's a huge pain to come here. The complete lack of oversight of the people posting and the lack of respect that Mr. Gog has for the people that have invested rather amount of unpaid time promoting them over the years.
mintee: No, they are already experiencing growing pains with the recent rapid influx of customers and should concentrate on getting Galaxy fine tuned, dealing with scammers and setting out the substrate of their business plan before delving into other media and their subsequent problems they entail.
hedwards: This.

Until they can fix the serious problems with the website and Galaxy any further expansions should be limited to new publishers in things they're already selling. And probably until they've got a half-way decent selection of movies as well.
I also would prefer if gog would fix the forum, but to be honest, from business standpoint the forum and the community itself isn't so important anymore. If I remember correctly someone from the staff posted a list of the people with the biggest collection here. Most of them are not active in the forum. Also for an interview for the german pc games magazine on gamescom some staff said that for their surprise most people use Galaxy to login, not the website anymore (arount the 5 minute). So expect that the focus will be more on Galaxy in the future, as it's more important for them now.

PC Games interview (german): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV6uiCEXhHk
Post edited September 06, 2015 by DukeNukemForever
DukeNukemForever: I also would prefer if gog would fix the forum, but to be honest, from business standpoint the forum and the community itself isn't so important anymore. If I remember correctly someone from the staff posted a list of the people with the biggest collection here. Most of them are not active in the forum. Also for an interview for the german pc games magazine on gamescom some staff said that for their surprise most people use Galaxy to login, not the website anymore (arount the 5 minute). So expect that the focus will be more on Galaxy in the future, as it's more important for them now.

PC Games interview (german): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV6uiCEXhHk
That sort of attitude is hugely problematic. It took them years to build up their brand and develop a customer base. After years of work they burned the place to the ground counting on being less evil than Valve as a selling point.

There's a lot of games that I'd like to buy here, but I no longer buy during most of their large sales or most of the rest of the time because I don't feel any reason to. They clearly don't appreciate the business and they can't be bothered to make sure that the site works correctly.

People are having their accounts hijacked and GOG has yet to introduce anything substantive to stop that. It is a difficult problem, but there are plenty of solutions out there.

Since when is it acceptable for a business to tell their customers to kiss off because they're no longer wanted?
To me it feels rather pointless since Bandcamp exists, where basically anyone can sell their music and where you can buy your music "drm-free". There's also places like eMusic offering similar content.
Groupees also sells music, especially soundtracks I've noticed.
So I think GOG should focus on games.
Barry_Woodward: Sure they offer soundtracks for free when they can and occasionally as DLC, but I'm talking about selling music of all kinds. Since DRM-free is the digital music distribution standard, it should be considerably easier to sign big publishers than in the game and movie industries. What do you think?

Vote: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/gog_should_open_up_a_music_section_in_the_store
No, since it is already industry standard there is nothing to be gained and without a unique selling point GOG is very likely to make a lot of loss and gain nothing for us, the customer.

But they should start selling DRM free ebooks. Amazons ebook policy really annoys me.
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/audiobooks_ebooks
Post edited September 06, 2015 by Trilarion
hedwards: Since when is it acceptable for a business to tell their customers to kiss off because they're no longer wanted?
Oddly enough, I have seen this happens when a company changes ownership. Sometimes they just want the current assets and brand name, but might have a vision to cater to a new market, even if it means alienating their current customer base. Sometimes, they don't want the current customers base.

I"m not saying this is typical of a corporation, but it is something I've seen firsthand.
Fuck ja! My friend Nordqvist says Gog can be

like to 60s garage bands like what like Gog is to 90s

video games. Fuck ja!
hedwards: Since when is it acceptable for a business to tell their customers to kiss off because they're no longer wanted?
JDelekto: Oddly enough, I have seen this happens when a company changes ownership. Sometimes they just want the current assets and brand name, but might have a vision to cater to a new market, even if it means alienating their current customer base. Sometimes, they don't want the current customers base.

I"m not saying this is typical of a corporation, but it is something I've seen firsthand.
It does. Normally that happens when they're buying the IP and staff. But, it's not something I normally see in businesses that count on selling things to customers. Or at least not when there are other options available.
Sabin_Stargem: How about we start listing soundtracks and bands that are game-based?

GAME SOUNDTRACKS
*Tempest 2000
*Shatter
*Aquaria
*Sonic R
*Homeworld (series)
*Ys (series)
*Dust: An Elysian Tail
*Freedom Planet

BANDS
*The Protomen
*The Megas
That's an idea I could get behind.
Can we please have the possibility to buy the album 'Bone to pick' by the Gone Jackals .... and get the related game as a bonus please ?
Post edited September 06, 2015 by Potzato
Potzato: That's an idea I could get behind.
Can we please have the possibility to buy the album 'Bone to pick' by the Gone Jackals .... and get the related game as a bonus please ?
Looks like that is the basis for Full Throttle's soundtrack. Added to the list.
Vote: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/gog_should_open_up_a_music_section_in_the_store

Potzato: Can we please have the possibility to buy the album 'Bone to pick' by the Gone Jackals .... and get the related game as a bonus please ?
If "Bone To Pick" is released here, then the question becomes whether or not to stock their other albums, "Out And About With The Gone Jackals" and "Blue Pyramid" as well as "Roadhouse Manifesto", "Mobile" and "Greasefire" by The Gone Jackals v2.0 (founded by original members Keith Karloff & Rudy D. Maynard) known as The Bonedrivers.
Post edited September 06, 2015 by Barry_Woodward
No but just OSTs if the GOGers really want to have them. OSTs of GOG releases.
Barry_Woodward: If "Bone To Pick" by The Gone Jackals is released here, then the question becomes whether or not to stock their other two albums ("Out And About With The Gone Jackals" & "Blue Pyramid") as well as the three albums by The Gone Jackals v2.0 band known as The Bonedrivers ("Roadhouse Manifesto", "Mobile" & "Greasefire").
I think that all of their stuff could be released, but it has to start with "Bone to Pick". This is because you can pair up that album with the launch of Full Throttle on GOG, which is good for cross-promotion. More importantly, Full Throttle and its music would resonate with classic gamers. You get a loud but vocal minority to approve, odds are that the quiet majority would jump on board.

The big problem with the movie launch was that GOG lined up content that didn't appeal to the vocal minority. That bunch got sour, and contaminated the rest of the community with their opinion. Mind, figuring out what the loud minority likes is a trick in of itself...

Still, I will take a stab at guessing: Much of GOG's initial catalog was centered around games from the 90's. The gamers from that era were in their childhood and teenage years, therefore had an lasting impression from the media being distributed. Old gamers don't like newfangled indie videos, because those movies weren't part of their generation. As such, I argue that GOG should have launched their movies with a selection derived from the 90's and 80's.
No. I was already against GOG trying to delve into the movie distribution business, because you can't just delve into such major markets as a side project, especially when there is already very serious competition in those markets. Not to mention that, with DRM-free being standard in the music distribution business, GOG doesn't really have anything to stand out from the competition in that particular area.

I will say the same thing that I said when GOG decided to start selling movies: if CD Projekt wants to delve into the music distribution business, they should create a brand new service (Good Old Tunes or whatever) with its own staff and website that is actually dedicated to the task. GOG already faces plenty of challenges in the video game business. It should remain focused on tackling those.
I want GOG to start selling groceries, and clothes, yay!

Seriously though, hasn't the movie section died a death, why bother expanding into other already saturated markets. They have a nice niche in DRM free games, put the effort there.