It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A story grows (or wins) in the telling.

Gather around, wanderers, it is time. Time to share your tales with the world. Everyone has at least one or more to tell, so don't be shy. If you pour your heart into it or touch someone's heart with it, a GeForce GTX 1070 and a copy of Where the Water Tastes Like Wine might become yours!

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, a narrative-driven game about harvesting tales from all across America, is a testament to the life-changing properties of storytelling. Now the fine people behind it have agreed to read and evaluate the short stories of the GOG community, before picking a winner who shall be awarded the new shiny GTX 1070, plus a GOG copy of the game.

The rules are simple: just use this thread to post your short story (in English) until March 9, 11PM UTC. There is no specific theme, genre, or character limit, but please keep the stories at a reasonable length and their content aligned with our forum posting guidelines.

So what are you waiting for? Those stories are not going to write themselves you know! Or are they...

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine is now available for purchase on GOG.com.
Welp, I had to cut this down considerably to fit it on a single post, but let's see how it goes. Here's my entry. If you need a title or something like that, we'll call it "Tales from Uncle Louie".

Lefevre is a five-square-mile patch of land out in the back hills up towards the Yuba area, a little ways west of where the state bends inwards and slides around the rich part of Nevada. It was supposedly named for a French general who first explored the region, although the story regarding this is different every time it’s told. It’ll take you about an hour to get there from the nearest town, mostly because it’s only reachable via rugged dirt road and you have to drive slow. On the bright side, there’s no traffic. The place used to be a mining camp which evolved into a city and then de-evolved into a conglomeration of rickety wooden facades supported by dust-beaten beams, the sight of which would be enough to cause a fire chief to break down into open weeping. Some misinformed group of ill-fated fools in the mid-1800s apparently thought that they could strike it rich by laying a claim away from where most of the main gold rush hysteria was occurring. 27 years and about half a mountain’s worth of hydraulic battering proved them woefully incorrect, but in the meantime, entrepreneurs who set up shop in what became a quickly-growing town made a fortune off the miners. As they increased their wealth, most of them began moving away, seeking greater ventures with better monetary opportunities out in the big cities now that they’d cut their teeth and learned the necessary tricks of the trade. It was mostly the miners themselves and their families who stayed behind. By the early 1900s, none of the original shopkeepers were left. None, that is, save for Uncle Louie.

Uncle Louie isn’t really my uncle. In fact, I’m not sure if he’s anybody’s actual uncle. It’s what we heard Jerome call him, so it’s what we called him, too. Jerome’s the only one who knows him, and Jerome is also the only reason we ever visit Lefevre. He’ll bring it up in casual conversation, saying something like “We ran out of sugar for the lemonade. Uncle Louie’s store carries that special brand, you know? The one that makes everything taste so good. Wouldn’t be the same without it. Let’s go get some.” We’d always have nothing better to do, so of course we’d all drive up to the town. The sugar story and others like it were all pretty cheap pretenses. Heck, I’ve seen soup cans on display in that rotting shack that I swear were from the 1960s. I guess that the old man’s like family to him, some remnant of his past he shoots the breeze with out of nostalgia more than anything else. Sam’s always browsing through the sale items like it’s a museum. Me, I just go there to remind myself that the place is even real.

Uncle Louie’s a strange sort of man, really. The way he talks about himself and what’s around him gives off the impression that he’s more wizened imp than man. He dresses as if birthed from a Bret Harte story and somehow never leaves that rocking chair of his. All transactions are carried out in cash only, in exact change, delivered directly to his personage. He tells us he moved out to town from Kansas back in the Gold Rush days, when he was in the prime of his life. We know it’s not true, but he is pretty old. We humor him, anyways. He met a young woman named Odessa who ran the laundry, and together, the both of them opened up the general store. None of us have any idea what happened to her, and he usually nods off before we get the chance to ask. Sam says he killed her, burned the body, and hid the ashes somewhere. He’ll always pull one of the decorations off the wall, pretend to observe it with an appraiser’s eye, then wave it in the air and go “Look, guys! Think Odessa’s in this?” The joke got stale after about the first couple of times he did it, but today, he’d picked out a particularly unique object: a large sledgehammer supported by a couple worn yet impressively sturdy brackets. Seemingly everything in the shop has a tall tale attached to it, and God help you if you make the fatal mistake of inquiring about the history of an object while in a rush. Sam, having never been particularly bright, did exactly that.

Struggling intensely under the weight of the massive hammer in his arms, Sam faltered for a moment before setting the head of it down with a dull thud that I was sure should’ve broken the floor, and gently twirled it a bit to admire the handicraft. It was a mighty piece of work, about four feet long with a wide square head, and a scrawled engraving on the handle. It surprised me that Sam was able to even move the thing, much less lift it. After looking it over, he loudly proclaimed “Hey, Uncle Louie? What’s this thing? Is this where you put Odessa?” The banjo music stopped, the sound of heels rhythmically tapping against the floor ceased, and we immediately knew we were trapped.
“Put-thet-there-down-boy-don’t-you-know-no manners?” was the response, between rough swings of a hat beating Sam.
“That’s a mighty dangerous hammer you got there, boy. Ain’t no toy to be foolin’ ‘round with. That used to belong to Casey Jones.”
“Casey Jones? The engineer?” foolishly asked Jerome before being bombarded with a few flicks of the hat.
“Don’t-you-interrupt-me-who’s-tellin’-this-story then? Now, as I was sayin’...used to belong to Casey Jones. He got it handed down to him from Pecos Bill, who won it in a card game offa Daniel Boone. Ol’ Danny got it as a gift from Daniel Webster on account o’ them bein’ fellow Daniels ‘n’ all, and sly ol’ Webster bought it off John Henry’s son, who got it from John Henry. That right there is John Henry’s hammer, the same one he drove the last spike into the Big Bend Tunnel with. Yup.”
His head started to sink back and we could see he was preparing for a nap. Deciding that fate had chosen to show us favor, I picked up the jar of molasses we came for and quietly tiptoed towards the door while Jerome laid a five on the counter. Sam, on the other hand, got the notion in his mind that it was only right to replace the hammer in its original spot on the wall. This proved to be an unwise move, as the weight of it kept him from being able to lift it to the correct height. It slammed against the floor before we could reach him to help. Uncle Louie immediately woke up and continued as if nothing had happened.
“Yessir, it’s a mighty special hammer. Forged from metal mined off an injun burial ground. Lets ya summon the spirits of all the other folks who had it after they’re dead ‘n’ gone. Casey Jones could swing it like a pro. He’d use it to make repairs on the No. 638. Had his own famous whistle they’d recognize ‘im by, got the notes engraved on the handle.”
“How’d you get a hold of it?” asked Jerome.
“Casey walked up in here one day lookin’ to buy a toy fer his son. Said to me ‘Uncle Louie,’ he did. Said to me, ‘I’m lookin’ to buy a toy fer my son,’ ‘n’ threw a nickel on the counter.”
The old man started to drop off again. Now intrigued by the story, Jerome prodded him a bit to hear it out to its finish.
“What’d you say to him?”
“Told ‘im what he got wa’n’t worth a sample o’ Mabel’s huckleberry jam ‘n’ told ‘im to go home.”
“You met Casey Jones and chased him out of your store?!”
“Hesh up, boy!” cried Uncle Louie, as Jerome backed away out of instinct to avoid the sweep of the hat. “Did I say he left the store just then? Ain’t got no patience, youngsters these days. Anyway, I says to him, says ‘Tell you what, son. If you got something’ worth tradin’, we kin make ourselves a trade.’ Says to me, ‘I got this here hammer,’ ‘n’ lays it down on the counter. I look it over, see it’s a fine piece of workmanship, ‘n’ let ‘im have the toy. Little wood train’s what it was. Painted real nice. So he left that hammer, said he’d be back fer it one day. As you kin see, it’s still there waitin’ fer him, so don’t mess around with it, lest ya gum up and cleave a mountain or two on accident.”
With this, he began cackling and yukking to himself, then immediately nodded forwards and began snoring. We helped Sam put the hammer back and tiptoed out of the store. As soon as I shut the door behind us, we laughed to ourselves, as well as engaged in a bit of minor celebration over managing to escape without getting a multi-hour lecture. Careful to avoid the steps, we hopped off the wood platform and onto the dirt. We decided to mill around town for a little while longer so I could take a few pictures. In the meanwhile, Sam began whistling, and clapping his hands to keep time. Annoyed by the noise, I asked him what the tune was in the hopes that the momentary distraction would cause him to lose his place.
“It’s the tune on the handle of that hammer,” he said.
“You can read music?”
“You didn’t know?”
“I didn’t know you could read at all.”
He smirked and, much to my dismay, returned to whistling. I did my best to ignore him as I lazily watched the train pull into the station.
“Come on, you guys. We’re gonna be late,” said Jerome as we followed him, hustling over to the 638 and piling inside.

It was only once we’d gotten home that we realized we forgot the car.
deleted
Post edited July 20, 2020 by hexadecimal_stew
However twisted the turns or fantastic the journey, the way always headed a singular direction: down. No matter the myriad intricacies, she knew that, after the fall, her fate will be joined with the rest of her kind. Yet the very notion of forgoing her unique splendor to a "grander plan" yielded no meaning, no delight.
One could therefore quite easily foresee, when she has some half-way through noticed the anomaly - a possibility for difference, hell's take how tiny - her entire being shifting the course of the descend towards this new goal with utmost determination.
And when the final moment of truth has come, there was no doubt left in her, for she but quickly disappeared in a small pool of warm, dark-red liquid.

The blood, heartlessly welcoming every unfortunate-rebellious snowflake to its crimson shades, was remarkably vibrant - and no less remarkably fresh - glittering viciously on the pale bed of white in the most fitting of moonlights.
True enough, the owner of said blood may, all things considered, verse somewhat different a perspective, but one cannot trust a fellow in such a peculiar predicament to enjoy the many fine wonders of art.
This particular sort of bodily fluid seldom roams as lonely pools however, and a keen, eyed observer wouldn't hesitate to spot a number of similar, aspiring snowflakes-devouring markings of a life seeping out, with the source it - him - self half-lying, half-sitting a mere whisper away, resting his weary vessel of a body against a nearby tree as if the poor thing could help alleviate the ever so heavy burden anchoring the man's conscience as easily - the unfathomable deep eyes of his - the very first sign of dissonance any beholder is to notice, for the man was otherwise hardly seeming a man at all - betraying the outcomes of a thousand and forty-two tales, if skimping on the details.

Oh, the details.
What is red to one who sees in black and white?
Why does pleasure bear an aftertaste of futility?
Why is the moment of any note?
What is there if there's naught left?
Why do spiders play violins?
What so irresistible an allure do the darker thunder clouds under a sky that just began to dawn possess?

The sole issue with a lack of details springs from stories incomplete without them - an orchestra yearning for strings, a woman with sealed lips... a question without an answer.

Such as why does the man sit there, bruised and wounded, what remains of the clothes barely clutching what remains of his bare self, musing over the moonlight’s reflection on his own pool of blood.
Cassidy's ducks

Betty let out a long and heavy sigh as she stood idly by in the barn, twanging the straps of her muddy dungarees while taking a step back to admire her hard work. The sheep were grazing happily, their exposed, pink-white skin glistening in the warm rays of the sun, free from the suffocating heat of their woolly fleeces. The pigs were nearby, oinking with gusto as they rolled about leisurely in mud, coating themselves in the chocolatey brown sludge like candy apples. After a lot of trial and error, it seemed that they had adjusted to their new pen after all. Betty turned her attention back to the family’s prized cow, who had also been residing in the barn with her after a long milking session, and patted her hide affectionately. Now that all the hard work was out of the way, there was only one more job needed to be taken care of before her parents’ imminent return.

From a very young age, Betty had always been fascinated by the incubation process. As she tightened her flaxen ponytail and strolled past the potato seeder, the rusty ploughs and the mower to take a glimpse at the unhatched duck eggs, she thought back to when she was a little girl making the same journey to the very back of the barn with her father. She would bounce around excitedly, hoping and praying with all of her heart that she would finally witness the eggs hatching right before her eyes. She could almost picture it perfectly in her head; the bare, polished beak of the duckling poking through the ivory shell, only giving her the tiniest peek at the vivid yellow tufts of feathers that were tucked away inside. To her horror, the sight that awaited her at that moment was not at all what she had been hoping for all those years.

The incubator cover had been left off the top. All that remained was a collection of 4 scattered, broken eggs, streaks of dirtied yolk and Cassidy the tabby cat, who was looming over the incubator and smacking her hairy lips.

Almost immediately, a tidal wave of questions flooded Betty’s mind. How could this have happened? How could she have left the cover off? Why didn’t she think to check sooner? Why couldn’t she have thought of those poor ducks? She tugged down on her straw hat anxiously to hide from the shame of it all, as though her parents were now standing right in front of her. All the while Cassidy was licking her whiskers happily. Betty quickly felt her guilt bubble into a boiling rage.
“Damn cat.” she spat, swatting at the tabby. Cassidy dashed off without a second thought, vanishing under the mini tractor that was sitting in the corner. Feeling defeated, Betty began to clean up the fragmented shells, wiping off any stray slobs of yolk from her fingers as she did so. Her guilt and dejection had surfaced again. She had finally been given the adult responsibility she had been begging for, and this was what she had to show for it. Dead ducks and an even fatter cat. Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted by a tiny squeak of a meow.

“Doesn’t sound like Cassidy at all.” she pondered, pausing briefly from her cleaning up. Shrugging, she got back to business, only to be interrupted a second time by yet another mewing noise.This time she listened more closely. It was definitely coming from under the tractor, but Betty was still adamant that it couldn’t be Cassidy’s meowing. Like a cat, she gave into her curiosity and trudged over to the tractor, grumbling as she went.

“I’ve had just about enough of you for one day.” Betty muttered “Don’t tell me you went and found even more cats.” She huffed and puffed as she squatted down to look beneath the
tractor, finding herself face to face with yet another unbelievable sight. There, amidst a tatty pile of straw and sawdust, was a litter of newborn kittens.
There were 3 of them, all sticky and squinty-eyed and helpless, scrambling to suckle for Cassidy’s milk to the best of their ability. But the most fascinating discovery of all was their 4 fuzzy, yellow adopted siblings. Betty could only watch in awe as the newly hatched ducklings nestled up to Cassidy, chirruping quietly and fluffing themselves up,completely content. In spite of the potential danger, she just couldn’t bring herself to attempt to separate this oddball family. After all, she was no stranger to motherly love between animals and the scene before her definitely fit the bill.
“Good cat.” Betty finally said, sighing with relief as she reached over to massage the tabby twixt the ears.
Last day on Earth
once upon a time, i went to enter a contest. but then i forgot the entry time, and cried a little inside.
Attachments:
Opening Statements to a Trial concerning Floriculture

Benedictions statesmen! The prisoner, rightfully accused, did willfully and knowingly cultivate flora of purely ornamental value, thus debasing his neighbors through exposure to the degenerate ideologies scientifically incompatible with our perfect computational happiness. This is not trivial. I will remind those in attendance that the population of that state dormitory was euthanized to protect civilians from its population’s compromised morality; that accordingly, everyone here must register for immolation and have their data expunged up two generations; that the records of this case shall be burned, the operators of the incinerators executed, and their data expunged up two generations. No crime is victimless: the vanity of flowers condemns us all!
Did GOG yet declare winners for all old competitions? I think there are one or two from many years back still hanging in the air.
Thank you all for participating! There are loads of entries here, which is great, but it will take some time to go through all of your stories and pick the winner. We're contacting writers who worked on Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, so they can help us choosing the best tale. We'll keep you updated in this thread!
elcook: Thank you all for participating! There are loads of entries here, which is great, but it will take some time to go through all of your stories and pick the winner. We're contacting writers who worked on Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, so they can help us choosing the best tale. We'll keep you updated in this thread!
Isn't it curious that the giveaways all have specific scheduling for joining but none for picking and contacting winners? Something to consider. Also bump. :D
elcook: Thank you all for participating! There are loads of entries here, which is great, but it will take some time to go through all of your stories and pick the winner. We're contacting writers who worked on Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, so they can help us choosing the best tale. We'll keep you updated in this thread!
MaximumBunny: Isn't it curious that the giveaways all have specific scheduling for joining but none for picking and contacting winners? Something to consider. Also bump. :D
We're on it, worry not :) It's just soooo much reading here ;)
MaximumBunny: Isn't it curious that the giveaways all have specific scheduling for joining but none for picking and contacting winners? Something to consider. Also bump. :D
elcook: We're on it, worry not :) It's just soooo much reading here ;)
Good to know!
BTW are you guys and gals at GOG reading the stories or the "writers who worked on Where the Water Tastes Like Wine" are reading them?
Anyway the reading should be fun as I noticed a lot of good stories in the thread.
:)
elcook: We're on it, worry not :) It's just soooo much reading here ;)
bhrigu: Good to know!
BTW are you guys and gals at GOG reading the stories or the "writers who worked on Where the Water Tastes Like Wine" are reading them?
Anyway the reading should be fun as I noticed a lot of good stories in the thread.
It's actually both us and devs+writers :)
And yeah, this is fun!
In this case I think it's understandable - they had no way of knowing beforehand how many people would participate and how long the stories will be, and obviously that's what determines how long choosing awinner will take. Having a strict deadline and keeping to that could even result in some stories being left unread or at least not given a chance to be fully appreciated.
bhrigu: Good to know!
elcook: It's actually both us and devs+writers :)
And yeah, this is fun!
Take your time! Whatever happens, I really enjoyed tweaking and revising the story I wrote. It was a fun little project. Enjoy!