It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Cambrey: Speaking of which, the Chicago style pizza is awesome.
It just so happens that at work (during lunch) we were talking about pizzas, I think someone even mentioned the "Chicago style pizza" as he had just been in US on vacation. And some talked what pizzas are like in Italy etc.

I couldn't really offer much to that discussion though, but I just wondered aloud if any restaurant is offering Finnish-style pizzas. I mean like these:

https://www.saarioinen.fi/tuote/jauhelihapizza-200-g/

The main characteristics of Finnish style pizzas are that they are small in size, very cheap and easy to digest. The kind of food you eat if you are unemployed or a student with little or no money, and you have to eat something. You just throw that pizza into microwave and eat it. It is guaranteed you are not hungry after that. Not necessarily because you are full, but nauseous.

In spoken language, those pizzas are also referred to as "mudflaps", mostly because you probably could use them as one.
Post edited October 10, 2018 by timppu
KnightW0lf: get a Chicago style hotdog, it's really good
Cambrey: Speaking of which, the Chicago style pizza is awesome.
Which was invented by a Texan.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/march2010-deep-dish-pizza-texas.htm
Leroux: Yeah, that list is so vast and varied that it kind of proves my point about the pointlessness of judging a whole big country's "cuisine", and there's also lot of stuff on it that's not originally or exclusively American, but it's still a good start, thanks! I guess Mac and Cheese could be seen as (stereo)typical American food as well, along with hamburgers and hotdogs?
toxicTom: That's not even possible in Germany. There's so many different kinds of regional food, and often even the same terms mean something completely different in different regions (i.e. "Pfannkuchen").
Oh, and people often mistake bavarian dishes with german ones.
toxicTom: That's not even possible in Germany. There's so many different kinds of regional food, and often even the same terms mean something completely different in different regions (i.e. "Pfannkuchen").
Maxvorstadt: Oh, and people often mistake bavarian dishes with german ones.
Isn't Bavaria part of Germany? I'm confused.
Maxvorstadt: Oh, and people often mistake bavarian dishes with german ones.
TARFU: Isn't Bavaria part of Germany? I'm confused.
Well, we Bavarians tend to think that it is the other way round: Germany is a part of Bavaria. :-)
Recently our Minister President announced that Bavaria will conquer space. No joke, he really did it! :-D
Oddeus: Are you kidding me? Hasselhoff single handedly shouted The Wall to pieces after all others failed!
Now I'm trying to imagine a David Lynch version of Baywatch.
Post edited October 10, 2018 by Aemenyn
Maxvorstadt: Well, we Bavarians tend to think that it is the other way round: Germany is a part of Bavaria. :-)
Recently our Minister President announced that Bavaria will conquer space. No joke, he really did it! :-D
Hmm, ok. Interesting dynamic there. I did not know that. Thanks.
Oddeus: Are you kidding me? Hasselhoff single handedly shouted The Wall to pieces after all others failed!
Aemenyn: Now I'm trying to imagine a David Lynch version of Baywatch.
Better Quentin Tarantino.
Yup, it's just a part of it, not representative for the whole country, but many things people abroad associate with Germany are actually Bavarian. It's like people thinking the whole US is like Texas.

timppu: https://www.saarioinen.fi/tuote/jauhelihapizza-200-g/

The main characteristics of Finnish style pizzas are that they are small in size, very cheap and easy to digest. The kind of food you eat if you are unemployed or a student with little or no money, and you have to eat something. You just throw that pizza into microwave and eat it. It is guaranteed you are not hungry after that. Not necessarily because you are full, but nauseous.

In spoken language, those pizzas are also referred to as "mudflaps", mostly because you probably could use them as one.
Are they frozen? They kinda sound like the cheap frozen pizza you can buy in supermarkets over here (and other countries). Although they're often more around 300 g here, I think.

Edit: I see "Jauheliha" means ground meat, so I guess it's a very specific type of pizza, while frozen pizza can contain all kinds of ingredients (meat, fish, vegetarian).
Post edited October 11, 2018 by Leroux
Depends on how you define Germany.
Aemenyn: Now I'm trying to imagine a David Lynch version of Baywatch.
Maxvorstadt: Better Quentin Tarantino.
Kan Fukumoto?
Post edited October 11, 2018 by toxicTom
Maxvorstadt: Better Quentin Tarantino.
toxicTom: Kan Fukumoto?
It should be one of your own, we have so many world class directors that would be a perfect fit for such an epic historical drama featuring the Hoff, like Wolfgang Petersen, Roland Emmerich, or Uwe Boll! ;P
Leroux: It should be one of your own, we have so many world class directors that would be a perfect fit for such an epic historical drama featuring the Hoff, like Wolfgang Petersen, Roland Emmerich, or Uwe Boll! ;P
Ulli Lommel

PS: We should stop here, lest this thread be renamed "German Horrors".
Post edited October 11, 2018 by toxicTom
timppu: That's a good point. "America" (I guess "USA") is a big country size of Europe, so do Europeans ask other people "what do you think of European cuisine?", not specifying whether they are talking about French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish (surströmming) or Finnish cuisine (black blood sausage + mämmi)?
I can confirm that the Chinese definitely do this, drives me nuts sometimes. I mean I have been asked what's the difference between Chinese and European food. I honestly had no idea how to approach that question.
Leroux: I think most of the times it's easier to describe a specific regional cuisine than the cuisine of a whole nation which can be extremely varying across the whole country.
timppu: That's a good point. "America" (I guess "USA") is a big country size of Europe, so do Europeans ask other people "what do you think of European cuisine?", not specifying whether they are talking about French, Italian, Spanish, Swedish (surströmming) or Finnish cuisine (black blood sausage + mämmi)? I presume there are similar differences between different regions of US, e.g. where TinyE is from, they eat black blood sausage and mämmi every morning. And evening. And sometimes for the dinner and lunch too.
I always thought that when people ask about some country's food, they mean some signature cuisine that the country is well known for. Like hamburgers and hot dogs for US, borsch for Russia or noodles for China. That doesn't necessarily implies, that this country invented that cuisine or that there are no other local dishes. Like French pasta is very similar to China noodles, but both are known have their own cultural significance.
LootHunter: I always thought that when people ask about some country's food, they mean some signature cuisine that the country is well known for. Like hamburgers and hot dogs for US, borsch for Russia or noodles for China. That doesn't necessarily implies, that this country invented that cuisine or that there are no other local dishes. Like French pasta is very similar to China noodles, but both are known have their own cultural significance.
Possibly so, but my point was that talking about a "signature cuisine" of US may be just as hard as describing a "signature cuisine" of Europe, as US if quite big country with different cultures. I don't think e.g. French or Spanish recognize mämmi or Karelian pies (from Finland), let alone consider them as European "signature cuisines".

Sometimes it may be hard within one (European) country as well. Like an ex-colleague of mine (who was in fact from Denmark) once asked somewhere in France, possibly in Paris, one hotel butler whether he knows where there is a good fish restaurant, he said:

"Sure! In Marseille. Hue hue hue hue hue!" (that's how French people laugh)

Damn Frenchies with their sarcastic sense of humor! No wonder they almost lost WWII! Almost!

Leroux: Edit: I see "Jauheliha" means ground meat, so I guess it's a very specific type of pizza, while frozen pizza can contain all kinds of ingredients (meat, fish, vegetarian).
No they are not frozen, you just cut one end open from the plastic and put it into microwave for a couple of minutes, and eat. It is very basic, like minced meat (both pork and beef, like we Finns tend to like our minced meat), ketchup and cheese. Maybe it has some other ingredients too, but not much.

Every Finn have eaten one (or many) of those at one point of their lives, especially when they were students. It is almost impossible to avoid them.

Yeah we have those frozen pizzas too (from Dr Ötker, Grandiosa etc.), but they are like deluxe pizzas compared to those mudflaps. They are like what you eat on Sundays or other special occasions.
Post edited October 11, 2018 by timppu