It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

shadesofdeath320: I hear they play Friends over there a lot now as well...
Nah, that was more like a decade ago now. But then like I said, I haven't watched much lately. Maybe there's been a resurgence?
rabblevox: Battlestar Gallactica, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Dexter, Farscape, Firefly, Heroes, Mad Men,Rome, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, The Tudors, The Wire, Xena.
The Sopranos I watched avidly. That was the last thing I watched on a regular basis.
Post edited December 08, 2010 by Navagon
Navagon: I gave up on TV years ago. But to the best of my knowledge it's 90% repeats and reality crap.
rabblevox: For the most part, yes. But we have also had some simply AMAZING TV in the past decade.

Battlestar Gallactica, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Dexter, Farscape, Firefly, Heroes, Mad Men,Rome, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, The Tudors, The Wire, Xena.

TV just doesn't get much better than that. I haven't owned a TV in years, due to that fact that so much of it is garbage. But the above DVD sets you will have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers.
You're forgetting Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead, other than that I'm coming over your house with two kegs and we're watching them there Deeveedee's.
rabblevox: For the most part, yes. But we have also had some simply AMAZING TV in the past decade.

Battlestar Gallactica, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Dexter, Farscape, Firefly, Heroes, Mad Men,Rome, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, The Tudors, The Wire, Xena.

TV just doesn't get much better than that. I haven't owned a TV in years, due to that fact that so much of it is garbage. But the above DVD sets you will have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers.
shadesofdeath320: You're forgetting Sons of Anarchy and The Walking Dead, other than that I'm coming over your house with two kegs and we're watching them there Deeveedee's.
I left off Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead because I don't own a TV, and these aren't out on DVD yet. (excuse me while I salivate). But bring on the kegs! I'll buy the pizza.
Here in Norway you have to pay a yearly TV license if you want to watch TV. On top of that, you then have to pay to get the actual channels.

The worst part is you are paying Norways TV channel that is called NRK. It was a method that goes back to the days when NRK was the ONLY TV channel Norway had, so paying them was logical.

Now however this method of pay is outdated, but NRK still demands you to pay. Even though they now get millions from advertising. And they even have people that come around and knock on your door to see if you have a TV.

Just 1 year ago we are now allowed to own TVs without paying TV license as long as we do NOT have any TV signal into our home. In other words, we can use the TV as a monitor. Which I now have done. I get all my shows from the Internet.
Post edited December 09, 2010 by Filthgrinder
Well, NRK is the only channel group worth watching. It's our BBC.
It's the same in Denmark with DR (Danish/Denmark's Radio), except we have to pay a "media licence" if we so much as own a piece of equipment that could potentially watch their channels or access the internet and thus acces their website.

I don't mind TOO much because they actually do have the best channels, I just don't get around to watching it myself.
I remember seeing re-runs of an old 1980's UK show called "Not the 9 'O Clock News", which was a sketch comedy show, and one sketch made fun of the proposed 400GBP TV license. They showed stock footage of homes being bulldozed down and tall buildings being demolished, and the VO said something like "Don't steal TV. Pay your license fee. It's cheaper than a funeral."

Ironically, this show was rebroadcast on a channel here in the States known as PBS, or Public Broadcasting Service. PBS is a station that is funded entirely by government education grants and charitable donations from the viewers. Basically, you're not required to pay anything to watch the channel, but if the channel doesn't receive enough financial support, then they shut down.
bansama: This is one I can pretty much answer. Basically, like the Burakumin, it's a subject that is very touchy and is one that the government would rather not exist. Yes, text books are vetted and censored by the government. Every time authors/publishers have tried to add such subjects into the text books it never makes it past the government.

And this despite many protests by citizens, especially Okinanwans who want their own stories told (even the events on Iwo Jima, etc., are heavily censored to the point that what is taught is a falsehood).

All the time the government are allowed to censor text books, this is not going to change.
This is quite sad, but not overly surprising when it comes to history (there's always a bias). Thank you for answering that for me, though. I had heard it often, though I had always set it aside because I couldn't confirm it.

It's a shame that this happens all over the world, but I guess it emphasises the need for all of us to question what we are taught.

Also a damn shame about Guy Fawkes, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Though I'm impartial to his plight and his act, I'll agree that it was ballsy.
Filthgrinder: Here in Norway you have to pay a yearly TV license if you want to watch TV. On top of that, you then have to pay to get the actual channels.

The worst part is you are paying Norways TV channel that is called NRK. It was a method that goes back to the days when NRK was the ONLY TV channel Norway had, so paying them was logical.

Now however this method of pay is outdated, but NRK still demands you to pay. Even though they now get millions from advertising. And they even have people that come around and knock on your door to see if you have a TV.

Just 1 year ago we are now allowed to own TVs without paying TV license as long as we do NOT have any TV signal into our home. In other words, we can use the TV as a monitor. Which I now have done. I get all my shows from the Internet.
That is the same as in Finland...Thank gosh we don't have to pay "radio fees" anymore..

And concerning those people who come to check if you have a TV, you don't have to let them in :D

The most famous of them (the TV-licence "checkers") was Tony Halme (Ludvig Borga), although he didn't do that long...
Filthgrinder: Here in Norway you have to pay a yearly TV license if you want to watch TV. On top of that, you then have to pay to get the actual channels.

KneeTheCap: That is the same as in Finland...Thank gosh we don't have to pay "radio fees" anymore..

And concerning those people who come to check if you have a TV, you don't have to let them in :D

The most famous of them (the TV-licence "checkers") was Tony Halme (Ludvig Borga), although he didn't do that long...
Amazing
Question to...well, everyone :)

Do you guys know any finnish athletes/celebrities? I'm quite curious :D
KneeTheCap: Question to...well, everyone :)

I've never heard of a finnish anything...
Unless Finland was the country with the female prime minister that looked like Conan, I've heard of her.
Post edited December 09, 2010 by Smannesman

I don't. However, I mostly draw a blank when asked about celebrities or pro-athletes from my own country.

Mikael Forssell
Sami Hyypiä
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Shefki Kuqi
Jari Litmanen
Antti Niemi
Teemu Tainio

All Finnish football (soccer) players who have played in the English Premier League.
Post edited December 09, 2010 by nmillar

I wasn't completely sure when I read this question since i didn't remember if Paabo Nurmi was finnish or not. One quick google search confirmed it.

I read about him in an almanac when I as a kid and never forgot his name. Remember him as being quite the runner (the endurance type, not the speed type) but that's about it.

Some of our countries simply don't make the news enough for others to know stuff about them. From mine, people may know about the Panama canal (which we had to close down for 12 hours due to the longest lasting rains we've ever had almost overflowing it). The only time the Panama Canal has been closed was during the american invasion to get rid of General Noriega, which was also news worthy. Other than that... those who know a little about boxing may remember Roberto Duran gave Panama some world fame.

Others however, have no clue. My grandfather had to point out our country on a map to some customs guy when he visited England.
Post edited December 09, 2010 by El_Caz