It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Nameless Hero returns to GOG.com.

<span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, legendary open world RPGs return to GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span> are the two final (and increasingly greatest) entries in the overarching "Nameless Hero" saga of the vast, open-world RPG series. Whether you go a bit retro with the quirks of <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span>, or with <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, which still puts open world RPGs to shame, you're about to venture into a world that stands open before you, ready with its reaction to your every single action. Explore the land filled with nooks and crannies, side with whoever you want, destroy anyone, or don't, and deal with the consequences. If that's not enough for you - make sure to try <span class="bold">Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods</span> for more hours of adventure.

The Gothic series may not be perfect, but with years of community effort it gets darn near close. <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> can be modded up to modern standards with improved mouse controls, graphical updates, and various improvements - just check out our own forum thread on Gothic series patches, mods, and tweaks. <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span> had its share of issues at launch, but the immense Community Patch solves nearly every single one of them. The patch is incorporated into the GOG.com release!

Return to the DRM-free land of Myrtana in <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, available once more, DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will end on Sunday, April 19, at 12:59 PM GMT.
Ah, I think I understand Gothic now. The secret is to ignore the mouse as much as possible. Playing strictly through the keyboard is giving a much better experience this time.

Oh, and how amusing that the character keeps saying "Hi, I'm new here", like some waif trying to get picked up in a nightclub. :)
YEAH! Very well done GOG & Piranha Bytes, and congrats to the latter to have their "babies" back :)
If I wouldn't have them all three already as physical copies then....

Ed: Oh and extra special kudos for that:
"The patch is incorporated into the GOG.com release!"
Post edited April 18, 2015 by gamefood
I love it when we're getting good old games back ;)

Great to see these (and any game that's been removed) back in the catalog. Classics like this should be here.
Thanks to the amazing generosity of IAmSinistar - may he find +1's whereever he goes - I owned all the other Gothic games except the first one, which was way too expensive for me to buy.

So I was very happy to see the bundle, with Gothic 1 at an affordable price. Thanks to GOG and to Piranha Bites - and thanks again to you, Sinistar. :-)

Editing to say - I just stopped myself from saying 'Hi, I'm new here' after reading Sinistar's recent post.
<laughing>
Gothic 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time! Especially Gothic 2, so many fond memories, had such a powerful impact on me! I think I'm going to replay it again!
Glad to see the games back!

BillyMaysFan59: Welcome back.

phaolo: Re-added games are always good news : )
BillyMaysFan59: I'm assuming you don't mean GOG's definition of "Good News!"(TM) right? :D
Woohoo, congrats on 1000, that's a Kodak moment:
Attachments:
Should one play Gothic 1 before Gothic 2?
Regardless, I'm generally having a pretty hard time starting from the middle of a series. :/
Rixasha: Should one play Gothic 1 before Gothic 2?
Regardless, I'm generally having a pretty hard time starting from the middle of a series. :/
I recommend you to play Gothic 1 first.
It is not really necessary, as the second is perfectly enjoyable on its own, yet if you started from 2 you would lose a lot of references and would probably see with suspect a lot of characters that you should know quite well (as they were your friends in the first). Also, playing the second installment will undoubtedly spoil you the first, in case you wanted to play that later, too.
Besides, imo Gothic 1 is just as good as 2! :)
blacklegion1616: Gothic 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time! Especially Gothic 2, so many fond memories, had such a powerful impact on me! I think I'm going to replay it again!
+1 to that!
Not neccesarily. The story always starts with: "nameless hero with memory problems awakes on island and fights his way up the ladder". So there won't be much secrets spoiled by reversing the playing order. On the other hand Gothic 1 is the shorter and a bit better game and characters from G1 also appear in G2 (although one also could see it the other way around).

So you don't need to play 1 before 2 but I would because that is the original way I played them and I liked it this way.
I haven't played through the first two gothic games for almost 10 years now (although for some obscure reason I just started playing Gothic1 yesterday again!) so my memories may not be the best, but I would suggest you to start with the first part. You will meet many NPC's from Gothic 1 in Gothic 2 and while they are doing a good job in introducing themselves on request it's still better to know your friends (and enemies). You will visit the area of the first part in Gothic 2 as well, so It's really beneficial to know Gothic 1 when playing Gothic 2, although by no means required.
Post edited April 18, 2015 by Looger23
Looger23: but I would suggest you to start with the first part.
THIS THIS THIS!

Did I mention THIS! :D
I own as many copies of the Gothic TRilogy as I do any games. I have them on Steam with ArcaniA (horrible game over all), I have them here, and I have the UK Gothic Universe release I bought in England while we made port there. That was my first REAL introduction to the Gothic Series as I had heard a little about HOW AWESOMES IT IS!!!!11ONE. but I'd never seen it in a store or a review of it. But that was a purchase I'm glad I made, and glad I still have.
I have the Gothic Universe set on CD and all three are installed on my laptop. I'm half way through number 1 but it's been so long since I played it (GOG's fault!) that I'll probably have to start again.

Would it be worth buying the GOG versions to have the games with the community patches already installed? (Apart from the fact that it supports GOG and welcomes PB back to the site, of course).

EDIT:
Also I think we owe a special thanks to both GOG and Piranha Bytes for managing to bring these back WITHOUT regional pricing, given that it was the local pricing that had them removed from the catalogue in the first place IIRC.

EDIT 2

Just noticed this in the OP:

"which still puts open world RPGs to shame"

I hope you're going to take that comment back on 19 May! lol
Post edited April 18, 2015 by LynetteC