It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Join Geralt of Rivia in his well-deserved victory lap.

<span class="bold">The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition</span>, the ultimate celebration of the most critically-acclaimed game in recent years, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for achievements. This package includes the base game, the soundtracks, both expansions and every bit of DLC released for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

If the 800+ awards and millions of enthusiastic fans are to be believed, 2015 was the year of the (White) Wolf. That's when Geralt of Rivia, the reluctant hero and dispassionate monster slayer, set out on his most personal quest yet: to save Ciri, the child of prophecy, from the Wild Hunt. But beyond the mature storytelling and emotional gravitas, Witcher 3 offered an awe-inspiring open-world rife with rewarding exploration and engaging combat.

Later that year, Geralt's travels brought him face to face with the enigmatic Master Mirror and a man cursed with eternal life. Hearts of Stone was widely recognised as one of the darkest, yet delightfully subversive adventures ever presented within The Witcher universe.

The intoxicating region of Beauclair became the stage for the White Wolf's last bow. Untouched by war but haunted by its own demons, the land of Blood and Wine expanded the Witcher world even further, bringing new monsters, additional pieces of equipment, and more powerful mutations to help Geralt defeat the legendary Beast of Beauclair and claim his ultimate destiny. But not before he collects all the new Gwent cards that he's missing!

Grab your silver swords and slice open <span class="bold">The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. To learn more about the contents of the package and the astonishing world of The Witcher 3, spur Roach in <span class="bold">this direction</span>.

If you own the expansions separately or as part of the Expansion Pass, you're in for a treat as well: <span class="bold">Hearts of Stone</span> and <span class="bold">Blood and Wine</span> just got updated to include the free OSTs, both in mp3 and FLAC format.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Aduurw9s7GI
Post edited August 30, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
Hey guys, just to clear the air a bit on the matter of the GOTY version VS the base game + expansions.

In terms of content and updates, there is absolutely NO difference between these two, so if you already own The Witcher 3 + Expansion Pass, you are not missing out on anything, apart from another box cover in your Library :)

PS: That trailer reminded me I should replay the game sometime, just to pay my final respects to the bloody Ladies of the Wood >.<

[EDIT] Pinned to top
Post edited August 30, 2016 by Destro
Funny you get the same conversation every time a GOTY version comes out on a PC game. I do understand both sides, but I have to imagine most gamers knew going in that a GOTY/Ultimate/Complete version would come out sooner or later and everyone had the choice to jump in early (so they could play the game years earlier than some people) or to wait for a complete version (and can now wait even longer for that complete version to one day go on sale...trust me it will... ). Nothing has changed over the years except you don't need to go down to the local game store to pick this up. Good luck going to Gamestop and asking them to give you a GOTY edition of any game for free just because you got the earlier version. Still, I hope everyone who was an early supporter got good value for the money they put in!
GranArcanum: ... So I really wouldn't be missing anything story wise?
Sure you will miss something story-wise and you will miss background information about the lore too and reading the books would also be something worthwhile.

I always felt like all three parts stand well on their own and the story is not connected so strongly that you have to play all previous parts in order to understand the actual part. If you do not have the time, you won't miss much. However you might want to hear other opinions. As a compromise, if you are concerned about missing story, read about the plots and the lore of the previous games on wikipedia or some other source and then start playing Witcher 3.
GranArcanum: So quick question to those who have played all the Witcher games and those who have only played Witcher 3.

Would it be a good idea to play The Wticher 3 without having played the other 2 games? I really want to dive into the Witcher 3 but I don't want to go through playing the previous titles to understand The Wild Hunt.
the witcher 1 is better than the wticher 2... just know that you miss a great game.
Alm888: That is untrue. PS4 uses its own API (GNM) and shader language (PSSL) (see Wikipedia) which are similar to DirectX and not OpenGL.
You are wrong. PS4 is a Unix system, there is nothing like a dx port... and if you look at the difference dx and opengl are not really that different. their new API is just an evolution to the old OpenGL API.
But the point is that they added a different API support for PS4 to their engine so they could make the same thing with OpenGL.

Alm888: CDPR is trying very hard to become part of the glorious AAA gamedev club. And for this their own engine is a must.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
there are many AAA gamedev club games in that list. if you are not able to make a better engine than Unreal or Unity just use that engine.

Alm888: No, Feral and Aspyr do not "port" anything (and much less natively). They only use wrappers and are, presumably, under Steam-exclusive agreement. And this is obviously something CDProjekt will never agree on.
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/gamingonlinux-interviews-feral-interactive-about-xcom-linux-game-development.3946
"This is a 100% native application. Just like our Mac games, all our Linux games will be 100% native. We never use WINE, Crossover etc style wrapper technology."
you are 100% wrong.
Also CDProjekt used eON wrapper with both the witcher 1 and the witcher 2 port... and before eON for the witcher 1 it was wineskin (wine for mac).
So you are wrong again.

Alm888: True. CDProjekt do not want our money so who we are to insist otherwise.
Still I like their drm-free style, and I care about the only triple A that I could consider to play. But I cannot buy a windows-only game if it is not compatible with my computer (maybe with wine in the future). if they don't care well I will just buy something else (there are a lots of games that I still have to play... I'm playing fallout 2 right now and I got that for free)... but if they care and look in the forum they can see that there is one sale.
Post edited August 30, 2016 by LiefLayer
Russonc: Funny you get the same conversation every time a GOTY version comes out on a PC game. I do understand both sides, but I have to imagine most gamers knew going in that a GOTY/Ultimate/Complete version would come out sooner or later and everyone had the choice to jump in early (so they could play the game years earlier than some people) or to wait for a complete version (and can now wait even longer for that complete version to one day go on sale...trust me it will... ). Nothing has changed over the years except you don't need to go down to the local game store to pick this up. Good luck going to Gamestop and asking them to give you a GOTY edition of any game for free just because you got the earlier version. Still, I hope everyone who was an early supporter got good value for the money they put in!
It's not a problem (at least for me), if i bought game yaer ago, an now there is GOTY for same price.
But i have complicated feeling when GOTY version price almost equal with price of upgrading to GOTY content (Expasion pass) and i already have original game.

I forced to buy same game twice or ignore additional content.
Post edited August 30, 2016 by KSM
maladr0Id: Hey guys, just to clear the air a bit on the matter of the GOTY version VS the base game + expansions.

In terms of content and updates, there is absolutely NO difference between these two, so if you already own The Witcher 3 + Expansion Pass, you are not missing out on anything, apart from another box cover in your Library :)
Perhaps this should be edited into the original post or something.
GranArcanum: So quick question to those who have played all the Witcher games and those who have only played Witcher 3.

Would it be a good idea to play The Wticher 3 without having played the other 2 games? I really want to dive into the Witcher 3 but I don't want to go through playing the previous titles to understand The Wild Hunt.
I see you've gotten many replies already, but I don't think you'll have any trouble with gameplay or story immersion if you go straight into Witcher 3.

The world of the Witcher is well fleshed out in the books and games, and the dev's love of the world and story are matched by their ability to translate everything in a compelling way in the game.

However, you may end up addicted and need to read the novels and go back to the old games for more story. As good as the story in Witcher 3 is, there is still a lot to get from the rest and it is still quite satisfying to find it retroactively.

Also, playing the games and reading the story out of order may add replayability if character background makes you realize you were too-much or not-enough of a dick to certain NPCs.
maladr0Id: Hey guys, just to clear the air a bit on the matter of the GOTY version VS the base game + expansions.

Okay, so, both versions have the same content and updates, but I'm still fuzzy on the status of their installers. Do both have the exact same cluttered mess of installers and DLC or has the GOTY version been simplified?
Post edited August 30, 2016 by Barry_Woodward
Denezan: Do those of us who own the base game and all expansions get a free upgrade to the Game Of The Year Edition like with the last 2 games?
Smannesman: Nope.
Oh....ok.
LiefLayer: PS4 is a Unix system, there is nothing like a dx port... and if you look at the difference dx and opengl are not really that different. their new API is just an evolution to the old OpenGL API.
But the point is that they added a different API support for PS4 to their engine so they could make the same thing with OpenGL.
No, PlayStation 4 is a video game console. :-) But if you mean its OS than yes, its "Orbis OS" is a FreeBSD derivative (as per Wikipedia article). But this does not mean that it has OpenGL support.

From this article (sorry for "copypasta"):

The PlayStation 4 features two graphics APIs, a low level API named GNM and a high level API named GNMX. Most people start with the GNMX API which wraps around GNM and manages the more esoteric GPU details in a way that's a lot more familiar if users are used to platforms like Direct3D 11. The developers of The Crew put a lot of work into the move to the lower-level GNM, and in the process the tech team found out just how much work DirectX does in the background in terms of memory allocation and resource management.

Another key area of the game is its programmable pixel shaders. Sony's own PlayStation Shader Language (PSSL) was introduced on the PlayStation 4. It has been suggested that the PlayStation Shader Language is very similar indeed to the HLSL standard in DirectX 11, with just subtle differences that were eliminated for the most part through preprocessor macros.
So GNM's wrapper GNMX is very similar to DirectX 11 and PSSL is very close to Microsoft's HLSL. And as such it was relatively easy for CDPR to port their Windows-only game to PS4.

LiefLayer: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/gamingonlinux-interviews-feral-interactive-about-xcom-linux-game-development.3946
"This is a 100% native application. Just like our Mac games, all our Linux games will be 100% native. We never use WINE, Crossover etc style wrapper technology."
you are 100% wrong.
Also CDProjekt used eON wrapper with both the witcher 1 and the witcher 2 port... and before eON for the witcher 1 it was wineskin (wine for mac).
So you are wrong again.
I hope you did know that you can recompile Windows application with WINE libraries bundled (so-called WINELIB) and get "native" Linux (or, rather, Unix) ELF executable instead of Windows's PE one. Just like with Valve's toGL.

But this does not mean that the code itself magically becomes Linux-native. It still uses Windows API calls which internally get caught and translated to Unix analogues by wrapper functions.

And this, of course, does not disproof my assumption that Feral and Aspyr are tied to Steam by their used technology.

Alm888: True. CDProjekt do not want our money so who we are to insist otherwise.
LiefLayer: Still I like their drm-free style, and I care about the only triple A that I could consider to play. But I cannot buy a windows-only game if it is not compatible with my computer (maybe with wine in the future). if they don't care well I will just buy something else (there are a lots of games that I still have to play... I'm playing fallout 2 right now and I got that for free)... but if they care and look in the forum they can see that there is one sale.
So do I, friend! I even do not have Steam account because of my anti-DRM stance. But let's face the truth: "The Witcher III" is Windows-only game and it will remain as such IF siomething exceptional does not happen (like CDPR will be near bankruptcy and will need some cash ASAP as they were when they desperately released "The Witcher 2" "port").

P.S. Also playing "Fallout 2" (1C release, physical disk) now (Restoration Project) and "Fallout: Nevada"! Have a nice game, comrade!
Post edited August 30, 2016 by Alm888
Nice. I was waiting for that. I still can't play the Witcher series on good enough settings, but I'll look into buying it now that it's in a single package and that I heard it was the end of a cycle.

I'm disappointed that it's a new entry (new store page and new reviews), though, and not just a simple upgrade to the original product. But I guess it was the (by far) easiest choice due to the owned-or-not status of the expansions.
Hey, this is a really cool release.

Question though - I see folks who already have the base game and both expansions chomping at the bit to get the GOTY edition. Isn't basically just what we already own?

I mean, I have the game and both expansions (and allll the excellent DLC) already - why would I buy a GOTY edition?

Not faulting folks who do - just curious really. If I didn't already have the game/DLC, this would be a great thing (and maybe that's the folks this is aimed at).
Barry_Woodward: Okay, so, both versions have the same content and updates, but I'm still fuzzy on the status of their installers. Do both have the exact same cluttered mess of installers and DLC or has the GOTY version been simplified?
I was just about to ask the same question. If the GOTY version has one installer for all the content I'd like to have it too (and then I'd be a little pissed we don't get an upgrade :P). Keeping it simple is always nice.
KSM: It's not a problem (at least for me), if i bought game yaer ago, an now there is GOTY for same price.
But i have complicated feeling when GOTY version price almost equal with price of upgrading to GOTY content (Expasion pass) and i already have original game.

I forced to buy same game twice or ignore additional content.
You're right, seems like at the very least the "upgrade" content should be cheaper, at least at this point. All too complicated for me... that's why I generally hold off (plus in this case, my PC is just at the minimum requirements...which I hope to change in the next 6 months). I tend to stay 3-4 years behind on the AAA (or AAA priced) games; cheaper and my PC can usually handle it then!
GranArcanum: Would it be a good idea to play The Wticher 3 without having played the other 2 games?
I really want to dive into the Witcher 3 but I don't want to go through playing the previous titles to understand The Wild Hunt.
You can but in doing so you would miss out two great games!

Barry_Woodward: ...status of their installers. Do both have the exact same cluttered mess of installers and DLC or has the GOTY version been simplified?
Wurzelkraft: If the GOTY version has one installer for all the content I'd like to have it too (and then I'd be a little pissed we don't get an upgrade :P). Keeping it simple is always nice.
Of course the goty version has only one installer ;)