It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Citizens deny knowledge.

<span class="bold">The Darkside Detective</span>, a spooky-go-lucky adventure full of pixelated absurdity, is now available, DRM-Free on GOG.com, with a 23% launch discount.

A wave of paranormal weirdness is spreading across Twin Lakes City and nobody seems to give a damn. Except for specialized detective Francis McQueen and his sidekick, officer Dooley, who throw themselves into the night to study occult symbols, talk with ghost celebrities and make sure the local zombies stay hungry.

The 23% discount will last until August 3, 1PM UTC.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited July 27, 2017 by maladr0Id
The Darkside Detective is a micro-adventure game with a distinct art style and charm.
I'm not sure this is the right way to advertise your game; First there were micro-transactions, now micro-games, what next.. micro-transactions inside micro-games? I'm curious to see it's HLTB score.
Cutting edge, high definition pixels
HD indeed; i can see them from a mile's distance. :P
djdarko: Looks interesting, but falls into the "what indie developers think retro looked like" category.
It's not retro, it's low res. Why does everyone see big pixels and assume retro? There's nothing in the description that mentions retro. This is more of a "games I can play on my full-colour 120x80p monitor" category.

The Darkside Detective is a micro-adventure game with a distinct art style and charm.
Vythonaut: I'm not sure this is the right way to advertise your game; First there were micro-transactions, now micro-games, what next.. micro-transactions inside micro-games? I'm curious to see it's HLTB score.
Maybe micro in terms of resolution? Because I don't think I've ever had a monitor that's this low res, even in the 80s.
Post edited July 27, 2017 by Green_Shade
djdarko: Looks interesting, but falls into the "what indie developers think retro looked like" category.
Green_Shade: It's not retro, it's low res. Why does everyone see big pixels and assume retro? There's nothing in the description that mentions retro. This is more of a "games I can play on my full-colour 120x80p monitor" category.
the game will look better on that small screen, thats why i like games that allow you to set the resolution, AGS games allow you to set the resolution, smaller windowed makes it look like the graphics are less pixel.

Choplifter (c64) was a white pixeldrawnvector like game, and the welknown loderunner (c64) , loderunner was remade a lot, but the classic loderunner was the best imo, a 3d loderunner looks bad.
Post edited July 27, 2017 by gamesfreak64
Ooh, this looks interesting!
And I don't mind the "pixelated" look - this one looks definitely better than most, if not all, of these new games made in "stick figures" - style.
low rated
gamesfreak64: ...BUT the bad thing about steam is that 75% or more is shovelware :D...
Yes, but thankfully here due to GOG monitoring quality, and us paying more for the privilege of having DRM free (as loose as that might be now), we have a far higher percentage than steam...
gamesfreak64: ...BUT the bad thing about steam is that 75% or more is shovelware :D...
nightcraw1er.488: Yes, but thankfully here due to GOG monitoring quality, and us paying more for the privilege of having DRM free (as loose as that might be now), we have a far higher percentage than steam...
Exactly: GoG has more good games cause Steam has Greenlight and that allows anything to arrive as long as it gets enough votes...and alot of new shovelware has been released the last few weeks at Steam....
but the steamusers seem to notice they have lots of shovelware so they can avoid that.

Pixel games are not that bad, i bought this pixel game at steam cause it was 58 or 85 cents (listprice 5.99):
Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon
at < 99 cents i am willing to try almost any game: except fps/fpp/3d

fullscreen is pixelsoup, but with ALT enter it becomes 404 pixels high and 1024 wide, sizing the window is also enabled cause i can make it large and small.

check attachments
Attachments:
Looks interesting, especially the block pixel look, goes beautifully with the music by Prunty!
i tried the steam demo, seems the demo works without steam , so steam not running: still very high cpu usage
(unitygame) , seems a typical vsync problem that cant be solved using my GPU settings, so it should be in the game itself, or they should limit FPS at 60 max.

Anyway cant play the game, dont want to risk burning my CPU

so the specs are wrong?

recommended:
Processor: Pentium 4
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Dedicated GPU

my cpu quadcore 2.67 8 gb ram
gtx 750 ti 2 GB

should be able to run without getting cpu issues ( yes i have all latest drivers for everything, cooler is a new one, and all dust is removed from the pc case)
Looks interesting, but did they need to make it so overly pixelated? Pixel art can be much nicer.
gamesfreak64: Exactly: GoG has more good games cause Steam has Greenlight and that allows anything to arrive as long as it gets enough votes..
https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/10/14578780/valve-steam-greenlight-shut-down-direct-submissions
I'm digging the music in the trailer...
I tried the free chapter a while back. It was short and simple, but also clever and funny. 5 more of the same sounds appealing.
That depends how far back you're willing to go.

https://goo.gl/images/4PXazn

https://goo.gl/images/1Fotni
Post edited July 27, 2017 by wvpr
wvpr: I tried the free chapter a while back. It was short and simple, but also clever and funny. 5 more of the same sounds appealing.
wvpr: That depends how far back you're willing to go.

https://goo.gl/images/4PXazn

https://goo.gl/images/1Fotni
I think his point isn't necessarily that old games looked "better", but that they had a much more consistent style, and that they were carefully designed and crafted, to get the most out of every single pixel and the limited amount of colours.

It seems the average indie dev doesn't fully understand this classic video game graphics style, which they're so often trying to emulate. ( Although there are some pleasant exceptions to this. )
HereForTheBeer: I'm digging the music in the trailer...
https://www.benpruntymusic.com/
The further back you go in time, the greater the graphical limitations, but we shouldn't forget that those (now retro) games still had artists who were doing their damnedest to make their games look as good as possible. I think that's why the "retro" look is so hard to pull off, because it's an added layer of complexity--first you have to artificially limit yourself, then you have to do good art in that artificially created environment. Like, even in the limits they've created for themselves, was not giving characters eyes a necessary part of the art style that will enhance the game, or was it just done in the vague idea that "retro graphics" should look primitive?

(That being said, poor graphics is a venial sin, unless they're so bad that they really get in the way of things).
Post edited July 27, 2017 by BadDecissions