It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

You get a lightsaber!

Star Wars™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, in which you master weapons of the Jedi and face the very real temptations of the dark side, is now available for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

Dark Forces revolutionised the early days of first person shooting. Star Wars™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II improved on the experience in almost every imaginable regard, as the series once again established a significant milestone in 3D action gaming. If the words "You get a lightsaber" weren't enough to get you hyped about this title back in the day, then the truly-3D environments and models, RPG elements, and unprecedented freedom of movement complemented by a varied arsenal of weapons and Force powers would have done it.

Star Wars™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is a must-play for gamers looking to experience or relive gaming history, and the GOG.com treatment now makes this easier than ever. At the end of the day, it's a game that allows you to discover the Force entirely on your own - to walk the light path of a Jedi hero, or to unlock the sheer destructive power of the dark side - and that is just plain awesome.

Get your lightsaber and master the Force in Star Wars™ Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 20% launch discount will last for 72 hours, until Friday, January 30 at 1:59 PM GMT.
Any need to play the original Dark Forces before playing this one?
FlamingFirewire: Any need to play the original Dark Forces before playing this one?
I've played #2 dozens of times and just now picked up #1. As a SW fan it's essential to play all of them, but as a well adjusted person I wouldn't think it matters at all. Of course #1 is just a fun shooter and you can never have too many of those.
FlamingFirewire: Any need to play the original Dark Forces before playing this one?
Treasure asked the same some pages earlier. The answer is no.

Ninja'd: What the radioactive Mon Calamari said.
Post edited January 28, 2015 by madth3
tinyE: I've played #2 dozens of times and just now picked up #1. As a SW fan it's essential to play all of them, but as a well adjusted person I wouldn't think it matters at all. Of course #1 is just a fun shooter and you can never have too many of those.
Too true - you can never have enough good shooters ^^

madth3: Treasure asked the same some pages earlier. The answer is no.

Ninja'd: What the radioactive Mon Calamari said.
Since I don't have to play the original game, I guess I'll just stick to the sequel for the time being. :)
I just want to thank you GOG. So far, the game is working flawlessly, with 3D acceleration, full-screen cutscenes and music. I've tried many times to play this game again those past years, including the retail and the very disappointing Steam release, and each time I decided to not play the game if it was not in optimal conditions, with a reliable fix.

And here it is! I've just had great pleasure to see good old Nar Shaddaa levels again. Great job guys! Thanks a lot! :)
Looks like it'll soon be time to marathon the DF series again . . . I shall now impatiently await the best saber-combat sim of all time, aka Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. (And Academy is good too.)
Curunauth: Looks like it'll soon be time to marathon the DF series again . . . I shall now impatiently await the best saber-combat sim of all time, aka Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. (And Academy is good too.)
In Academy you get the sabre right away and I always thought the kill moves were a little nicer in Academy.
tinyE: In Academy you get the sabre right away and I always thought the kill moves were a little nicer in Academy.
It's funny because I often hear complains about the fact that Jedi Outcast doesn't start with the lightsaber and Force powers, while I've always found it great on the contrary. Not only because I like good old Katarn before he is a jedi, but all this make the moment you get the saber and powers even more enjoyable, as you really feel like you finally deserve it after several levels without them. I always thought it was both a really good and bold choice from Raven Software back then.
I have a similar issue others are having. When I get into the gameplay the resolution sucks (I think it defaults to 320x200 UGH). Well I go into the display menu and change the resolution. In order for it to show 1920x1080 as an option, you have to check the 3D acceleration button. Once you pick that resolution and exit back out of the pause menu to the gameplay, everything is black. I can see my health and ammo meters in the corners of the screen but the rest of the screen is black. Now when I go back to the display menu and TURN OFF the 3D acceleration option, I can pick those resolutions and the game will display at those resolutions, but none are widescreen. Also the game seems to change resolution every single time I go to the pause screen. I can have the game at 1280x800 or something like that but when I hit pause it auto changes back to 640x480 or something like that.

Also, because I keep trying to change the resolution to work for my monitor, when the game crashes, my resolution is still 640x480 and I have to change it back each time. I'll fiddle with the game and see if any combination of options will get the 1080p resolution I'm looking for.

Other than that when I can see what's going on, the game seems to play fine.
Thinking about the issues of Jedi Knight, I read here (Steam Version, Enhanced Mod not working) I got two ideas:

1. Could Disney use the fixed Version from gog.com in order to update the Steam Version?
If yes, did this happen to other games before?

2. Why does gog not include mods like graphic/controls/widescreen improvements into their releases? Nowadays many games are rereleased this way. And we have to thank gog (not god, i only serve the one true gog ;)) for it, that Publisher realized there is a market for old games.
Maybe gog could even make a deal with the one or other licence owner to make remastered versions of some games, done by a small team from CD Project RED. Or even a full Remake. Jedi Knight with Cyberpunk 2077 graphics would be awesome.
Jedilink: Also, because I keep trying to change the resolution to work for my monitor, when the game crashes, my resolution is still 640x480 and I have to change it back each time. I'll fiddle with the game and see if any combination of options will get the 1080p resolution I'm looking for.

Other than that when I can see what's going on, the game seems to play fine.
I wonder if that is related to the video issue I've been having with the game. Every time I try to run Dark Forces 2, the screen goes completely black on Win7. Do you know if there is some kind of log to look at to diagnose the video problems with the game?
I just checked through the list and there IS a 1280x720 option without having to turn on 3D acceleration and it works great. Fits my screen and looks nice. This is a great game. :) Can't wait until the release Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast. One of my very favorite Star Wars games ever made.
Thanks again GOG! Windows 8.1 with AMD so far no problems!
The GOG release of Jedi Knight is a total embarrassment...to Steam.
GOG's got everything right, Steam managed to mess up almost everything. They did not even bother to include the music.
I just removed the Steam versions of Jedi Knight and Mystereis of the Sith and will not be downloading them again.
I'm hitting a small snag, if I run the game WITH hardware acceleration on I can see everything bar the HUD, without I get a black screen with a small almost static effect in the top left hand corner of the screen (very similar issue with Rogue Squadron's main menu)

Any clues as to why I don't have a HUD or Crosshairs?
(I'll check back later as I'm off to work now so I can buy more GOG's :) )