It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Count your blessings!

NEO Scavenger, a realistic turn-based survival game set in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com.

NEO Scavenger, is a game where you must survive in the wasteland long enough to figure out who you are. Each turn, you must decide where to go, how to scavenge for supplies, and how to deal with anything and anyone you encounter. And with each passing minute, the pit in your stomach grows, your dehydration worsens, your muscles tire, and your body temperature drops in the cold autumn air. A mix of sandbox and story play, with random content and character customization ensures each replay is different. The game provides realistic survival simulation, with complex wounds and treatments, illnesses, hunger, thirst, warmth, and carrying capacity. Death is permanent!

Saturday, at 7PM GMT / 2PM EST / 11AM PST, NEO Scavenger with Vlad!

NEO Scavenger might not look like much, but under the top layer of simplistic graphics hides the most engaging and complex hard-core RPG experience we've encountered in years. The GOG gamer community recognized this diamond in the rough, and within a few days since launch the game became our top-seller, rated 5/5 stars on average by those who tried it! Today, at 7PM GMT / 2PM EST / 11AM PST, visit Twitch.tv/GOGcom</span>, and join our friend Vlad of [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/theweekendslice" target="_blank]The Weekend Slice of Fun[/url] video show, as he tries his luck at survival in the "realistic" post-apocalyptic Michigan wasteland. Do not miss it!
Post edited December 20, 2014 by G-Doc
JaywalkingIguana: Current Aus prices for this are:

GOG: AU $18.09
Steam: US $14.99

I only mention this because the relationship between these two stores' prices in our region can be very weird.
AU$18.09 is about US$14.81, which is actually cheaper than Steam.
jackster79: Man... so going to get this. Just too fatigued by the recent sales to do so now so wish-listed.

But DEFINITELY getting this.
jackster79: I went to book-mark the demo, and it seems I already did this before at some point and just do not recall!

Guess my past self knew what it was doing...
I'm kicking myself for not mentioning this, but...

The biggest complaint I have about the game by far is that it's not "really" a native app (at least on OS X). Similar to Defender's Quest in its current form (which still uses Adobe AIR, IIRC), it's actually made using Adobe Flash, and the app itself is just a standalone Flash Player. That may not seem like a big deal, but I've had issues with preferences failing to stick (the game doesn't start up in fullscreen, even after I set it to fullscreen mode), and save game permission issues.

In one particularly galling instance, when I tried to save my game, a permission window popped up from Flash asking for permission to locally save data. I confirmed it, and realized that what had happened was that I'd only allowed Flash to save data. To save my game, I would have had to click on the Save button again...which I didn't do.

That being said, those issues don't significantly (IMO) detract from what is otherwise one of the best games introduced this year that I've played.

I also need to mention the combat. The combat is surprisingly quite brutal, and the game gives you a surprising level of diversity in what you can do -- and it all actually sounds quite reasonable. You can charge an enemy to take them down quickly (which gives you a chance of tripping and falling in the process) and if you trip and fall, you can still trip them or pull them down by the legs. Did he get up before you? Try to tackle them to bring them down so you can punch the hell out of them, but be careful that they don't land a few good blows in on you before you can take them out...
Post edited December 17, 2014 by rampancy
rampancy: snip
Thanks, found the free demo while poking around the review sites last night and this game does look like something that will interest me... also thanks to GOG for the Linux release!
rampancy: ...it's actually made using Adobe Flash, and the app itself is just a standalone Flash Player. ...
I didn't know the game is such a mediocre implementation. That's a disappointment, though if it's well done, also Adobe AIR games do run. So let's hope for the best. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised to see Neo Scavenger released on GOG as well. It didn't look like it when the game came out. It's definitely one I want to play someday and now that it's on GOG I probably will ... wishlisted :-)
dcfedor: Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! It's been a whirlwind of a day, and I'm still trying to relax the muscles in my shoulders. I'm tense and shivering like I'm on a first date :)

Mad props to the GOG crew for getting this launched on time with everything in place. I think GOG was the most punctual and complete launch of the 10 or so sites I tried to coordinate, and they had the least prep time!

Once again, thanks to all for the support, and to those who participated in the beta/Early Access for your feedback!
Congrats on the successful release and welcome to the forum!

Small question: Now that the game is here is it possible to get a GOG key if you bought the game through a different channel during the beta?

In case you didn't know, GOG does hand out keys to devs who want to give GOG keys to purchasers if you ask them.
jackster79: Man... so going to get this. Just too fatigued by the recent sales to do so now so wish-listed.

But DEFINITELY getting this.

I went to book-mark the demo, and it seems I already did this before at some point and just do not recall!

Guess my past self knew what it was doing...
rampancy: I'm kicking myself for not mentioning this, but...

The biggest complaint I have about the game by far is that it's not "really" a native app (at least on OS X). Similar to Defender's Quest in its current form (which still uses Adobe AIR, IIRC), it's actually made using Adobe Flash, and the app itself is just a standalone Flash Player. That may not seem like a big deal, but I've had issues with preferences failing to stick (the game doesn't start up in fullscreen, even after I set it to fullscreen mode), and save game permission issues.

In one particularly galling instance, when I tried to save my game, a permission window popped up from Flash asking for permission to locally save data. I confirmed it, and realized that what had happened was that I'd only allowed Flash to save data. To save my game, I would have had to click on the Save button again...which I didn't do.

That being said, those issues don't significantly (IMO) detract from what is otherwise one of the best games introduced this year that I've played.

I also need to mention the combat. The combat is surprisingly quite brutal, and the game gives you a surprising level of diversity in what you can do -- and it all actually sounds quite reasonable. You can charge an enemy to take them down quickly (which gives you a chance of tripping and falling in the process) and if you trip and fall, you can still trip them or pull them down by the legs. Did he get up before you? Try to tackle them to bring them down so you can punch the hell out of them, but be careful that they don't land a few good blows in on you before you can take them out...
Right now Windows is all I use, so hopefully that will not be an issue when the time comes.

Having said that, this looked like a tablet-friendly game, and if I ever considered getting an iPad, it is my understanding Flash is incompatible so that would mean no Neo Scavenger on that device.
jackster79: Right now Windows is all I use, so hopefully that will not be an issue when the time comes.

Having said that, this looked like a tablet-friendly game, and if I ever considered getting an iPad, it is my understanding Flash is incompatible so that would mean no Neo Scavenger on that device.
This post by dcfedor on the Blue Bottle blog is worth a read:

Will Development Continue After Release?

I'll probably update NEO Scavenger after release with bug fixes and enhanced modding support. However, more content and features are unlikely. I want to make sure the released version is as stable as possible, and that modders can do cool things, but I'd also like to start exploring new projects. So basically, I won't be abandoning it completely, but I will be ramping-down effort as I start to move on to "the next thing."

I totally reserve the right to add a new feature if I can't resist, though :)

What Is "The Next Thing?"

It'll depend on many things, including how well NEO Scavenger does, how the market changes, and other factors. Probably the first order of business is to take a long vacation and recharge my batteries. However, I usually get anxious to make stuff before too long, so I'll probably start looking over my list of project ideas to see what makes the most sense.

Possibilities include a tablet version of NEO Scavenger, foreign language translations, a sequel, a different game in the NEO Scavenger universe, or maybe something completely different. Probably in that order of likelihood.
Cool release. Wishlisted right now.
I got the demo about month ago but so far I haven't got to playing it.
I have to remedy that soon to make up my mind about it.

The game was actually voted The Bestest Best Combat Of 2014 by RPS about week ago.
It's nice to see this game as number one on the front page's bestseller list. :)
PaterAlf: It's nice to see this game as number one on the front page's bestseller list. :)
I'm quite surprised, but hey, why not? :D
Can't find a forum for this game. Is there even one?
dickesKind: Can't find a forum for this game. Is there even one?
Not one, as of yet.
The forum's up now:
http://www.gog.com/forum/neo_scavenger
rampancy: This post by dcfedor on the Blue Bottle blog is worth a read:
Hmmmm.... thanks for sharing that.

An interesting read indeed.
PaterAlf: It's nice to see this game as number one on the front page's bestseller list. :)
cyboff: I'm quite surprised, but hey, why not? :D
Count me surprised as well :)