It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome back to the family.

Mafia is now available DRM-free and only on GOG.com.
The action/adventure classic that you really shouldn't refuse, finally returns. Embark on a celebrated open-world thriller and follow Tommy Angelo's rise (or fall, depending on your perspective) to a perilous life of high-stakes crime in 1930s America. The city of Lost Heaven is your playground, as long as you don't let the police catch you in the act, wise guy.

NOTE: This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music.
XP-compatibile release? REALLY, GOG?
tburger: XP-compatibile release? REALLY, GOG?
What a nice suprise.Didn't even notice that.Great job GOG and 2K ;).Cheers
Sufyan: THIS. Mafia 1 is by far the worst game in the series. The heavy story focus and "cinematic" sensibilities were surprising in 2002, but precisely nothing about the game is good and in 2017 this is not an engaging experience...
You gotta love people who judge games of yesteryear by a current standards.
A very pleasant surprise, I've been meaning to play it for some time now.
Post edited October 20, 2017 by Hirkis
Grargar: Not necessarily, especially if the copyright is 70 years+author's death.
mechmouse: A quick search shows that anything post 1923 could still be copyrighted... Madness
It's even worse. It's not just about when the music was composed and produced first, but about the recording itself, i.e. if somebody will obtain license for particular song, and re-record it today, he has (C) for that particular recording for another 75/95/120 years, or what it is right now.

So to know for sure when the original Mafia1 soundtrack will leave the (C) you would have to know a date of the particular recordings used in the game. If some of them are late 70s or 80s ... may be too long to wait for that.

----

About that thread with tutorial for fixing music. Extracting your own original game copy and replacing music files in GOG version is perfectly fine along any (C) law, and I don't see any reason why would 2k or GOG fight with that. .... but that d/l link ... shouldn't be there probably.
GOG.com: Welcome back to the family.

Mafia is now available DRM-free and only on GOG.com.
The action/adventure classic that you really shouldn't refuse, finally returns. Embark on a celebrated open-world thriller and follow Tommy Angelo's rise (or fall, depending on your perspective) to a perilous life of high-stakes crime in 1930s America. The city of Lost Heaven is your playground, as long as you don't let the police catch you in the act, wise guy.

NOTE: This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music.
How edited is the soundtrack?
I was ready to considering giving this a go but seems like £7.99 is far too much to entertain for a watered down game.

2K need to reconsider their pricing policy if they can't deliver the original experience but include all of the original bugs.
Some of these publishers have been getting a little stingy with these old games. It's still good to see the game here as always. If they had to strip out the licensed music tracks to get it here, then I can live with that. I'll just download them elsewhere if I ever buy the game. It'll be lower than the current asking price if I do though.
Does the game work with an Xbox 360 controller?
Good to see this game here, I thought it was way better than Mafia 2, which i played a few years before I played Mafia 1. The game engine was far ahead of GTA III 's and is still better than GTA V in some areas.

The racing level was a pain, I had to cheat and reduce the race to 3 laps to beat it. The car handled like ass and keeping it on track for 5 laps was way too much of an ask. Probably the worse handling car in any video game I played.

It also included my most memorable videogame kill in the sniper mission.

Sucks its missing the music but I'll wishlist this, its still one of the best sandbox games I've played. From memory it didn't come with all the crappy open world bloat missions where you need to find 6 of this or scan 20 of that like Mass effect: Andromeda.
Thank you GOG for bringing more games from 2K Games! Please make as much as possible deals with them.

EDIT: Mafia 1 is the best mafia-themed game ever made, copying audio data from my Steam version should work just fine.
Post edited October 20, 2017 by Cadaver747
I thought Mafia was excellent back in the day.

There's quite a few memorable set pieces in the game: multi-story car park shoot out, hotel bombing, church shoot out, airport, farm ambush plus the ending.

The racing level was virtually impossible to beat until the game was patched - hated that section =D

Tommy isn't superman; no auto-regenerating health here.
You can't shrug off bullet hits and crash into cars at 90 mph. Plus the guns have recoil.
There's some health packs scattered about on certain levels. It's also advisable to not break the speed limit when the cops are nearby - you can always pay the speeding fine.
Admittedly the driving sections aren't the most exciting part of the game - it does get better as the cars improve - especially if you do the optional missions.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 is well worth a look as well - it's my favourite Illusion Softworks game - especially online.

I purchased a Sparkle Platinum GeForce4 Ti 4600 to play the games of this era.
Funnily enough it went faulty due to inadequate cooling and the replacement had the cooler pictured. I can remember getting green smoke effects in Mafia!

The music issue is unfortunate but it's easy enough to fix unofficially - I've posted the missing DTA files in the Mafia sub-section.

So don't let that deter you from picking this up!
Post edited October 20, 2017 by mwnn
masayersuk: ...
GOG's Mafia release "does not contain any licensed music - only the game's original soundtrack" referring to "Orchestral Score composed by Vladimir Šimůnek".

You can restore it this way: https://www.gog.com/forum/mafia/tutorial_how_to_restore_the_original_music

I went ahead and threw up a wish for the music, even though I understand how incredibly unlikely it is - https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/mafia_1s_licensed_music

------

How much was Mafia on Steam before it was pulled? I still think 9.99 would have been better, but maybe it was 14.99 before on Steam. (though the price shoulda been cut because music was cut. :P)
IronArcturus: Does the game work with an Xbox 360 controller?
Quoting pcgamingwiki.com (controller support section):
Some users have reported success with using an Xbox 360 Controller but there are often issues with the use of the thumb-sticks.[5] This can be fixed by using a program such as antimicro to rebind controls, using the D-Pad to steer, and disabling the thumb-sticks.
source: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mafia
Why couldn't it be re-licensed? EA had no problem with keeping licensed music in The Saboteur for instance, and there is quite a lot of it there. I guess 2K couldn't resolve some copyright mess.
Post edited October 20, 2017 by shmerl
shmerl: Why couldn't it be re-licensed? EA had no problem with keeping licensed music in The Saboteur for instance, and there is quite a lot of it there. I guess 2K couldn't resolve some copyright mess.
Depends on the contract. A huge powerhouse like EA can often negotiate contracts on their terms. They can for instance demand a license to sell their game with music in it for as long as they want for a one time substantial fee.

Or maybe they can push a royalty based deal where the artist gets a small cut of each sale made. EA sells in large enough volume that it can be profitable even if each sale is fairly small.