It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Engineering your true purpose.

UPDATE: Add the game's OST to your collection, and enjoy Joakim Sandberg's unforgettable compositions.

Iconoclasts, a sprawling action adventure about uncovering the dark secrets of an evil religious organization, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.

There is something rotten with your world. Making an honest living as a humble mechanic is no longer an option since your selfless actions have attracted the wrong kind of attention. You're suddenly on the run alongside your new rebel friends, trying to fight back against an enemy you didn't even know existed. Another life awaits you, full of chance encounters, environmental puzzles, engaging exploration, and colossal bosses.

In the press :
- Gamespot found plenty to love in this Metroidvania-inspired darling, from the lovely art to its poignant storytelling and challenging puzzles.
- RockPaperShotgun was surprised by how puzzle-focused the game is, while keeping its boss fights challenging and its gameplay meaty.
- Destructoid pretty much loved Iconoclasts to bits, calling it "a hallmark of excellence"!
amok: Finally!

and initial reviews are indeed favorable.
Kunovski: be wary though - I almost marked the game with 5 stars myself and I haven't even played it yet :D it might be from the sheer joy of the game finally being released ;)

I do hope though that the game really is as awesome as many people expect!
Reviews:

https://www.destructoid.com/review-iconoclasts-483805.phtml
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jan/19/iconoclasts-review-konjak-pc-ps4
https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/22/iconoclasts-review-a-mechanics-guide-to-saving-the-world/
https://www.gamewatcher.com/reviews/iconoclasts-review/12956
Anyone remember the "Pinky & The Brain" episode where Brain becomes "THE ICONOCLAST"? :P
Starmaker: 1. Is it a real metroidvania (La-Mulana, Hollow Knight) and not a linear game laid out in a mostly continuous map (Ori, Owlboy, Teslagrad)?
Reviews make it seem more like the latter than the former, but that's fine with me since I like adventure-platformers either way.
Breja: Stop! Pixel time!
indeed. This game is handcrafted pixel by pixel.

it is gorgeous and full of unique animations, characters, settings, backdrops and props, each and everyone handmade by a single person, not just generic sets of polygons put together with some random texture slapped on them and repeated ad nauseum. it is absolutely beautiful, and it is a wonder it only took Joakim Sandberg 10 years to make it, with all that amount of detail this game has.

edit: to put it bluntly - this game truly is a work of art
Post edited January 23, 2018 by amok
SirPrimalform: Linear how? Linear in the sense that there's basically no reason to return to a cleared area and you're always pushing forward, or just in the sense that there's a fixed sequence to items and sequence breaking is hard/impossible?
There's a fixed sequence to areas and sequence breaking is hard / impossible / pointless. In Owlboy, the plot demands you go back. In Ori and Teslagrad, there are collectibles uncollectable on the first pass that you might want to sweep for later. All of those are worth playing.
- Ori is too sweet-saccarine for my taste and has the mark of shame prominently displayed if you die (possible but annoying to avoid) but still okay;
- Owlboy plays like a 90s game when everything was new, in a good way;
- Teslagrad is one of my absolute favorites; in spirit, it's kind of like Gorogoa, although of course the mechanics couldn't be more different.
But neither of those three is a "true" metroidvania like La-Mulana or Hollow Knight where a bad player can pinch off a little incrementally here and there until the next boss becomes killable.

Starmaker: 1. Is it a real metroidvania (La-Mulana, Hollow Knight) and not a linear game laid out in a mostly continuous map (Ori, Owlboy, Teslagrad)?
saldite: Reviews make it seem more like the latter than the former, but that's fine with me since I like adventure-platformers either way.
Thank you!
I like adventure-platformers too, I just don't like getting stuck in them. However, there's a question on steam about increasing difficulty midgame (from normal) so I'm gonna buy it.
Post edited January 23, 2018 by Starmaker
The game looks great, but I wonder why there is no Galaxy support (Cloud saves in particular)...
Post edited January 23, 2018 by user deleted
It looks amazingly detailed! I'll definitely keep it in mind, should the mood for a good platform game comes.
saldite: Reviews make it seem more like the latter than the former, but that's fine with me since I like adventure-platformers either way.
This makes me recall that Sandberg did an interesting analysis about how much he liked Metroid Fusion, which is much more linear than the previous games in the series.
I don't know of even any man that does that much flexing. All right. We get it. You're a freakishly strong woman and can most likely kick my ass. Welcome to the twenty f.... actually you like you're still stuck in the steampunk age. I am so sorry. ;)
Looks like a wishlist, though.
No reviews and 3.5 star rating. Probably meaningless information, too early. But it looks interesting.
Really, how could I not support this game at launch? Konjak's been putting out great games for a long time, and this is like... the very definition of a passion project. I mean, just look at the damn thing. This is what pixel art is supposed to be. Early reviews of the game have been extremely positive, too, which bodes well for the actual game... though I had full faith in him after Noitu Love 2.

Anyway, I can't wait to play this when I get back tonight. Awesome to see that it's finally out.
I bought it basically only because the pixel *ART* and linux support. Not even sure when I will get to play it, if ever, but this looks like work of passion, and i appreciate that.
This game is really amazing, I'm already 4 hours into it. It's filled with puzzles, humor, lots of characters and also a very nice story (something I didn't expect in a 2D platformer).

Some of the puzzles are challenging but not in the way that makes you quit the game, the bosses are just as challenging but not frustrating either. It seems a lot of work went into this.

On the technical side, it's very stable on Linux (comes with a 64bit exe), also runs on a potato PC, only 390MB ram used in 4 hrs.
Post edited January 23, 2018 by Ganni1987
Ganni1987: Some of the puzzles are challenging but not in the way that makes you quit the game, the bosses are just as challenging but not frustrating either. It seems a lot of work went into this.
How's the save system? In particular, can I retry a boss as soon as I die?
Ganni1987: Some of the puzzles are challenging but not in the way that makes you quit the game, the bosses are just as challenging but not frustrating either. It seems a lot of work went into this.
Starmaker: How's the save system? In particular, can I retry a boss as soon as I die?
Short answer: Yes

You will find save locations in various areas, however sometimes getting to a boss takes a while but should you die it will respawn you a room before the boss. It's pretty fair since you have no clue what to do at some bosses