It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
can i just say, that i had a dream a few weeks ago that sega/gog finally released the yakuza games here (some of my most wanted) so i instabought all of them only to later find that they were infected with denuvo. but gog would not give me a refund. i woke up in a cold sweat.
trusteft: What are Escalation missions and Elusive Targets? Multiplayer modes or single player modes?
Gudadantza: Escalation targets missions were missions of rising difficulty that were something like a weekly sets of missions. Obviously originally they were added to the game via online. But not a multiplayer game in the sense of competitiveness, basicaly single player missions

Elusive targets missions were similar but they consisted in a custom enemy available in the map for 48 hours, after that the target would vanish.

The former, hypothetically, could be available for offline play with a bit of work but frankly I am not sure, the later is a feature that apparently is more tied to the servers. In that regard I perceived this game closer to what Diablo III did even for single player modes. Tricky design decissions of the original game.

Anyway due to the original design of the game, some gadgets, outfits etc, were only avaiable to be unlocked and saved when online for use in future playthroughs of the campaign. Different starting points, etc
Thank you for the explanation.

The first indeed sounds like something which could be patched relatively easy.

The second sounds a bit different.

Either way, I don't like the way it is handled.

Also, Diablo 3 could be played offline if bought on console, but having the online connection requirement was the reason I never bought the PC version.
wolfsite: Well they removed the Hitman banner and replaced it with Sable, I don't think they have ever done that before after only 24 hours from the release, especially with a game from a much smaller company.
Funnily enough, even on r/games (reddit) people are displeased, normally they don't give a toss about this kind of stuff.
SpikedWallMan: This is an important point to bring up. There does in fact appear to be offline mods for both Hitman 2 and Hitman 3. I didn't see one for Hitman GOTY, but if there are offline mods available for 2 and 3 then there shouldn't be a technical hurdle that is preventing IOI from removing the online requirement.
Gersen: Unless there was a big technological gap between Hitman 1 and 2 / 3 I would say it should work roughly the same. But there seem to be very few mods for Hitman 1 so maybe there was.
Yeah, that's why I thought that just releasing a Complete Edition in the form of Hitman 3 + the 1 & 2 legacy packs would be the simplest thing to do since the technology behind Hitman 3 has been shown to support an offline mod. In that case it wouldn't matter if Hitman 1 had a technology gap or not.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SpikedWallMan
high rated
IOI and GOG are in talks apparently, don't know what they'll do but at least they are aware of the backlash.

Source is from the latest stream they did. timestamp at 54min.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1156865525?t=00h54m00s

Gersen: Unless there was a big technological gap between Hitman 1 and 2 / 3 I would say it should work roughly the same. But there seem to be very few mods for Hitman 1 so maybe there was.
SpikedWallMan: Yeah, that's why I thought that just releasing a Complete Edition in the form of Hitman 3 + the 1 & 2 legacy packs would be the simplest thing to do since there's already an offline mod for Hitman 3. In that case it wouldn't matter if Hitman 1 had a technology gap or not.
I agree that would have been the best option, said the exact same thing in the unofficially confirmed releases thread.

While I understand why contracts,elusives,escalations are online only and not a huge loss if the servers eventually fall considering there are mods that restore these, the challenges/unlocks however should be available for offline users.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by SCAgent
high rated
SCAgent: IOI and GOG are in talks apparently, don't know what they'll do but at least they are aware of the backlash.

I honestly have to wonder how this happened. The clip is awkward to watch, fella on the right looks like he's sitting on hot spikes when the topic comes up.

The process of any signing of games is pretty long but you know what you are signing, I don't really understand how it can go through multiple elements on both sides, with both parties knowing who the are dealing with, the game then going through testing, then marketing/community preparing stuff and the results is 'here's a game packed with DRM on DRM-FREE store' and stunned silence as they're surprised by the reaction.

I don't want to assume people don't do research into products they sell, but this with Devotion does suggest there's a no research made or they're just signing anything they can get their hands on without knowing what it is.

This should have been a big catch for GOG, but taking it with DRM should have been a no straight away. You can't build your house on foundations and run campaigns like 'FCKDRM' only to accept DRM and do it in a manner where you act as nothing has happened.

As a fan of the service and preservation, it's sad to see the betrayal of the DRM-Free approach and the lack of care towards the process of curation.
high rated
SCAgent: While I understand why contracts,elusives,escalations are online only and not a huge loss if the servers eventually fall considering there are mods that restore these, the challenges/unlocks however should be available for offline users.
All content of the game - 100% - should be available DRM-free to offline users.

If they go for a fudge, like is being proposed in that quoted text, then in many ways that would be even worse than the full-blown DRM which it currently is, because a fudge situation more sneaky & insidious, and it sends the message to all other devs/publishers than DRM on GOG is A-Okay so long as they pretend like they did something to remove a bit of the DRM.

And it would require the customer to decipher each fudge situation meticulously on a game-by-game basis.

Moreover, no customer should ever have to use "mods" to remove DRM or restore missing content.

The only acceptable thing to do is 100% full DRM-free, with 0% content missing, for singleplayer games, period.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
SpikedWallMan: ...
Yeah, that's why I thought that just releasing a Complete Edition in the form of Hitman 3 + the 1 & 2 legacy packs would be the simplest thing to do since the technology behind Hitman 3 has been shown to support an offline mod. In that case it wouldn't matter if Hitman 1 had a technology gap or not.
that offline mod in hitman 3 seems not be be good at all
SCAgent: IOI and GOG are in talks apparently, don't know what they'll do but at least they are aware of the backlash.

Linko64: I honestly have to wonder how this happened. The clip is awkward to watch, fella on the right looks like he's sitting on hot spikes when the topic comes up.
i was just going to say, total deer in headlights.
apehater: that offline mod in hitman 3 seems not be be good at all
Unless I miss something this thread talks about the vanilla release and doesn't mention the fan made mod.
Linko64: I honestly have to wonder how this happened. The clip is awkward to watch, fella on the right looks like he's sitting on hot spikes when the topic comes up.
fortune_p_dawg: i was just going to say, total deer in headlights.
I have sympathy for them. Things like this happen from time to time and more often than not your left on your arse to front it. Even more so when your out there front and centre. The fault here is on GOG's side then there's. I don't think they would have expected this, but GOG should have.

SpikedWallMan: Yeah, that's why I thought that just releasing a Complete Edition in the form of Hitman 3 + the 1 & 2 legacy packs would be the simplest thing to do since there's already an offline mod for Hitman 3. In that case it wouldn't matter if Hitman 1 had a technology gap or not.
SCAgent: I agree that would have been the best option, said the exact same thing in the unofficially confirmed releases thread.

While I understand why contracts,elusives,escalations are online only and not a huge loss if the servers eventually fall considering there are mods that restore these, the challenges/unlocks however should be available for offline users.
Thanks a lot for the link. Even if they say almost nothing, at least they are aware, which makes me hopeful we'll get a proper answer of some kind. Even if the answer ended up being "the game stays as it is" at least we'd have proper confirmation of where things stand.

I also mostly agree with you that the other online only stuff isn't a big loss, although I am sure the extra mini-challenges not being available offline would sting a lot for those who are into that sort of content (the few I tried felt kind of cheap, so I didn't bother with them much at all).

The process of any signing of games is pretty long but you know what you are signing, I don't really understand how it can go through multiple elements on both sides, with both parties knowing who the are dealing with, the game then going through testing, then marketing/community preparing stuff and the results is 'here's a game packed with DRM on DRM-FREE store' and stunned silence as they're surprised by the reaction.

I don't want to assume people don't do research into products they sell, but this with Devotion does suggest there's a no research made or they're just signing anything they can get their hands on without knowing what it is.

This should have been a big catch for GOG, but taking it with DRM should have been a no straight away. You can't build your house on foundations and run campaigns like 'FCKDRM' only to accept DRM and do it in a manner where you act as nothing has happened.

As a fan of the service and preservation, it's sad to see the betrayal of the DRM-Free approach and the lack of care towards the process of curation.
Nobody realizes the boiling frog experiment is a myth. The frog will always jump out when the water gets too hot no matter how slowly. The few times where the frog didn’t - it’s been drugged, it’s legs were chopped off or the pot was covered - none of which had anything to do with the gradual increase in temperature.

So what can Gog learn from this? They’re gonna need to chop off our legs, staple our faces to the computer screen and pump us full of psychedelic drugs to get us to accept this version of “DRM-Free”.
low rated

tremere110: Nobody realizes the boiling frog experiment is a myth. The frog will always jump out when the water gets too hot no matter how slowly. The few times where the frog didn’t - it’s been drugged, it’s legs were chopped off or the pot was covered - none of which had anything to do with the gradual increase in temperature.

So what can Gog learn from this? They’re gonna need to chop off our legs, staple our faces to the computer screen and pump us full of psychedelic drugs to get us to accept this version of “DRM-Free”.
Depends if the frog is kinky
tremere110: Nobody realizes the boiling frog experiment is a myth. The frog will always jump out when the water gets too hot no matter how slowly. The few times where the frog didn’t - it’s been drugged, it’s legs were chopped off or the pot was covered - none of which had anything to do with the gradual increase in temperature.
I think it's at the same level than the classics : "we only uses 10% of our brain capability" or "Red anger bulls" incorrect things that everybody believes.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Gersen