It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
mrkgnao: I would like to be able to buy on GOG, but their service has deteriorated so much, that I find it no longer appealing. I could give up on them, but instead by boycotting them, I have a tiny bit of hope that they will improve. This boycott obviously requires me to publicise the fact that I am boycotting in order to draw GOG's attention and have them think whether their future plans should be reconsidered.
timppu: I took the Google Translate definition:

boycott = "withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest".

As said, this could be partly a cultural thing. Here if we don't like some store or business, we just stop being their customers....
That's where your logic error lies. Nobody who is listed in the boycott thread actually dislikes GOG - it is the opposite. They know what GOG was and what GOG could be and they see how GOG is now. They are punishing GOG with a motive of making it better again.
Well this is a disappointing release. I'm gonna pass. If this version was truly offline DRM free for all single player content, I'd happily buy this right now. Granted, this was a horrible problem with the original release too, but I was hoping GOG would be diligent enough to fix this for release on their store.

I'm still gonna pay attention to this and see if this gets resolved. If it does, insta-buy. I already own Hitman 1 and 2 (though not 3), but if it does become fully DRM free and completely playable offline, at least for core progression stuff, then I'll buy these games again.

Until then, no.
Magmarock: What good is that gonna do? You think they care what you think?
About one or two lost clients? Maybe not.
But if many people complain, the may see it as a lot of lost sales. And lost sales are not good for a company seeking profit, so they're more likely to care if they notice they are losing money.

(edit: polished a phrase a bit)
Post edited September 22, 2021 by _Auster_
low rated
wolfsite: IOI E-mail address for those who want to send in a complaint about this game
ioi@ioi.dk
Sent one in myself, hopefully more will get them to respond.
Alone it is probably not enough, but combining it with the power of your wallet increases its effectiveness at least tenfold, even more on good conditions.
timppu: Alone it is probably not enough, but combining it with the power of your wallet increases its effectiveness at least tenfold, even more on good conditions.
Honestly I don't know why I even bother, when everyone else champions DRM-free people follow, when I do it I just get shit on...... really depressing actually.
high rated
mrkgnao: One correction: My boycott has nothing to do with "this one game".
timppu: Ok so you chimed into this thread due to some other chip on your shoulder against GOG?

I am unsure if GOG has kept track of why exactly you, or anyone else for that matter, are boycotting them. A wild guess: Devotion? Or were there many unrelated things? (I personally couldn't care much less about the decision not to release Devotion on GOG; I just bought the game straight from the publisher's own store.)

At least I am pretty sure you were not the guy boycotting GOG due to not having achievements in many of its games, that was a different demonstrator.
What about the chip on your shoulder that allows you to endlessly berate another user because their values do not add up to yours? It seems to me that you just want to continue to harass users without any after thought. Please refrain from this disgusting behavior, it just makes you look petty.
high rated
mrkgnao: One correction: My boycott has nothing to do with "this one game".
timppu: Ok so you chimed into this thread due to some other chip on your shoulder against GOG?
Could you please stop to be so agressive just because you disagree with people?
high rated
MarkoH01: Could you please stop to be so agressive just because you disagree with people?
BRAVO +1
high rated
Yeah I too was pleasently surprised with this game being here, up until the point I read the reviews and first thought it was being hyperbolic, but seeing as the forums are alight with confirmed rage against the mandatory online aspect AND the fact that we cannot save our progress without being online, I now hope this game gets booted off of this store!

To hell with these developers/publishers and shame on GoG you might not be hosting denuvo-infected titles, but mandatory online gatekeeping is still DRM-styled behavior and should not be tolerated here!
high rated
I'm a long-time fan. Used to be very involved with the community from 2008-2012, and even worked for GOG in a contract position from 2012-2014. I'm definitely a whale for this site (see image) because of its goal with DRM-free games. I can deal with slightly less bang for the buck in terms of Steam parity, like lack of a Workshop, Community Hub, games not always up to date, etc. I can't deal with something as egregiously bad as this. I use Galaxy to play everything and it still doesn't sit well with me. It's one matter that it is a "sub-optimal" version of the game, but the fact you have to go online to experience the game as it's meant to be is fundamentally opposed to GOG's mission. At least, what was once their mission. GOG has slowly changed since its "grand opening" in 2012, but I think the real start of the downfall happened after the The Witcher 3 came out. Its uniqueness has been eaten away by typical corporate capital pursuits and it's losing its appeal to the customer-base it built over a decade, and trying to substitute us with potential Steam converts. They need to make DRM-free look profitable and worth it for these companies to pursue, not abandon ship when the going's tough.
Attachments:
whale.png (13 Kb)
GilesHabibula: I am wondering how much work would it take for IOI to make all single-player aspects playable offline. While it probably isn't trivial to do so, it probably wouldn't be too big of hurdle either.

They would gain a lot of goodwill by doing whatever it takes to make it happen.
+1 but GOG really screwed up this one royally.
low rated
MarkoH01: That's where your logic error lies. Nobody who is listed in the boycott thread actually dislikes GOG - it is the opposite. They know what GOG was and what GOG could be and they see how GOG is now. They are punishing GOG with a motive of making it better again.
Ok so it is like in Babylon 5 (the TV series), where both the Shadow and Vorlon races are trying to cultivate and develop the younger and lesser races, including the humans, in their own distinctive ways:

The Shadows try to develop the other races through war and conflict, acting as a powerful antagonist. The survival of the fittest.
The Vorlons try a friendlier and softer approach, trying to educate and gently push the younger races to the right direction. Like a mentor.

In this context I feel like a Vorlon, and you guys must be the Shadows. We both feel we are doing our best to help GOG, but in our own distinctive ways.

Anyway, there is also a third way, which was not available to either the Shadows or the Vorlons: buying GOG/CDP shares, and that way directly getting leverage to how they do their business.
high rated
The inclusion of this game on the GOG storefront sets a dangerous precedent in the steady erosion of GOG's DRM-free policy/philosophy (we see now that it's a policy and not a philosophy because the appeal of selling Hitman was enough to make you disregard it).

To the brilliant minds behind this decision, remember that a significant portion of your userbase is loyal to you only because of your DRM-free policy. If you cede this market position then some other vendor WILL come along to take your place (itch.io's platform is frankly already superior to yours and gaining momentum with each passing day), and you'll simply be an inferior Steam with MARKEDLY worse features, support, and leverage.

I've literally no reason to purchase anything here on your platform if it isn't DRM-free. By releasing games with DRM you will render yourselves redundant (and then nonexistent).
low rated
EnforcerSunWoo: What about the chip on your shoulder that allows you to endlessly berate another user because their values do not add up to yours? It seems to me that you just want to continue to harass users without any after thought. Please refrain from this disgusting behavior, it just makes you look petty.
The whole "boycotting GOG in 2021" thread is kinda silly. It is not even clear why different people are participating in it, all one can make out of that confusing thread with all the "GOG is not making profit, LOL! Soon it will fold!"-talk that all the participants have some chip on their shoulder with GOG, and are wishing GOG to fail as soon as possible.

Maybe for some participants it is GOG's decision not to release one Taiwanese game, for others it is for GOG to release Absolver and Hitman, for some some GOG games missing achievements, etc.

I keep voting with my wallet.
EnforcerSunWoo: What about the chip on your shoulder that allows you to endlessly berate another user because their values do not add up to yours? It seems to me that you just want to continue to harass users without any after thought. Please refrain from this disgusting behavior, it just makes you look petty.
timppu: The whole "boycotting GOG in 2021" thread is kinda silly. It is not even clear why different people are participating in it, all one can make out of that confusing thread with all the "GOG is not making profit, LOL! Soon it will fold!"-talk that all the participants have some chip on their shoulder with GOG, and are wishing GOG to fail as soon as possible.

Maybe for some participants it is GOG's decision not to release one Taiwanese game, for others it is for GOG to release Absolver and Hitman, for some some GOG games missing achievements, etc.

I keep voting with my wallet.
And yet my point stands, imagine that...