It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
tfishell: I saw some replies under the "I actually forgot CD Projekt is the one that made GOG lmao" noting they pirate GOG games. :p
I wonder if there's a thread somewhere on the internet called "Games that treat us as second class pirates".
Breja: If Epic is "second to steam regardless if steam is still far ahead" then GOG can be third regardless of how "niche compared to both" it is.
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure GOG is nowhere near Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, etc. So how does that make GOG 'third,' exactly?
GOG has Officiallly Lost their way especially with this price, are they insane. Calm down boyz, its hitman 1 from way back when.
StingingVelvet: The actual problem is GOG think this game IS actually DRM free.
Have they ever actually defined what they consider DRM? Did they do that even during that FCKDRM thing?
If they haven't, then there's of course the real possibility that their definition of DRM is something else than customer's definition.
In any case, it would clear up many things if they actually wrote their definition publicly somewhere. Then there wouldn't be any arguments about that, obviously many customers could disagree, but at least there wouldn't be any room for interpretation then.

paladin181: GOG is pretty far behind everyone in everything but DRM-Free installers.
To be fair here, GOG still offers many goodies that other stores don't, even though most of them are in the older releases, and GOG hasn't been paying nearly as much attention to that as they did back in the early days. But there are some bonus items that you can only get from GOG. Then again, there are for instance some games that have free Android versions in some other stores, so it's really a case by case thing which store has the best package, not counting the DRM aspect.
paladin181: GOG is pretty far behind everyone in everything but DRM-Free installers.
In what planet? On earth GOG has more games on its store than battle.net, uplay, origin and epic combined it also unlike them allows for user reviews(even tourist reviews from people that do not own the game here) furthermore, i see alot of complaints about gog moderation when the reality is that in the aforementioned stores community forums a thread like this would have been locked with complimentary bans so fast your heads would spin.
low rated
PixelBoy: Have they ever actually defined what they consider DRM? Did they do that even during that FCKDRM thing?
If they haven't, then there's of course the real possibility that their definition of DRM is something else than customer's definition.
Possibly, when even the customers can't come up with a coherent definition of a DRM.

Like all those guys thinking the downloading of a game is somehow related to DRM (ie. what kind of client you use for the download), sheesh...
Daily post to check if gog still suck.
Gog suck
Post edited October 01, 2021 by LiefLayer
chandra: Nothing has changed, we continue to look into it and will update you on this subject.
From my understanding there are some mods that at least partially solve the issues. Then it should be possible to do something similar and get rid of the always online requirement.
high rated
PixelBoy: Have they ever actually defined what they consider DRM? Did they do that even during that FCKDRM thing?
In any case, it would clear up many things if they actually wrote their definition publicly somewhere. Then there wouldn't be any arguments about that, obviously many customers could disagree, but at least there wouldn't be any room for interpretation then.
Well, they provide a basic definition on the store pages:

DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.
So, to invert that: if it requires activation or an internet connection, then it is DRMed, by GOG's definition. Of course, they will try to stretch that to say that as long as a portion of the single-player mode is playable offline, then it is still 'DRM-free' (i.e. you can still play it, to some extent). However, I suspect most people would find that dishonest, like the slimy semantic games of a snake oil salesman.

It's worth noting that even GOG don't consider GWENT to be DRM-free by their own weak definition, since that notice isn't present on the GWENT page.
high rated
So glad you asked. Here is an archived version of the page: https://web.archive.org/web/20210126175016/https://fckdrm.com/

The FCKDRM campaign prominently asked:

"Did you know that there's a killswitch in your
games books music movies apps? It's called DRM, and it can block your access to the things you bought."
"What's important about DRM-free", you may ask?

Backup, copy, use anywhere
No one else gets a say in how you store and access your media. You bought it, you own it.

Access offline
Don't rely on your internet connection. If not on principle, then for stability and convenience.

Keep your consumer rights
Don’t hand your rights over to corporations that wouldn't trust you. Some relationships are based on trust, others on control and suspicion.

Support digital preservation
By choosing the right sources, you know that the content you bought will remain with you – no matter when it was created or for what hardware.

Lose all access, just like that
Online ownership checks can, and do, fail. Scheduled downtime, technical issues, and corporations shutting down are just everyday facts of life.
Note that this "bleeping" Hitman Online game release violates ALL of this list. The only arguable one is perhaps the third criterion but I believe I read the game holds its anti-consumer design in part to thwart mateys on the open seas. If that is the case then it is definitely based in control and suspicion. This is a disgusting release that does not belong on GOG.com let alone to be featured so prominently.
Jigowatts121: Seems like this has finally made it to some high profile Youtube news outlets. In this case, Yongyea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPpOLfECbe4
Open World Games also made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PESvH240R4s
low rated
Time4Tea: Well, they provide a basic definition on the store pages:

DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.
Time4Tea: So, to invert that: if it requires activation or an internet connection, then it is DRMed, by GOG's definition. Of course, they will try to stretch that to say that as long as a portion of the single-player mode is playable offline, then it is still 'DRM-free' (i.e. you can still play it, to some extent). However, I suspect most people would find that dishonest, like the slimy semantic games of a snake oil salesman.

It's worth noting that even GOG don't consider GWENT to be DRM-free by their own weak definition, since that notice isn't present on the GWENT page.
some people want gwent removed because it is a multiplayer game. It is true that it is drm but unlike hitman it is a special case.

It's a studio game so even if drm, I find it legitimate that it has its place here. It just needs to be clearly stated that this game is drm (which it is).

But for other drm games no.
Post edited October 01, 2021 by Lukin86
mastyer-kenobi: But Epic isn't close either. If we're talking in terms of launchers I haven't heard of anything besides the two but steam blows them both out of the water, stupid as it is.
Truth007: He means Epic is second to steam regardless if steam is still far ahead. A lot know of epic because of fornite being huge, gog is niche compared to both.
So, how far behind are say EA Origin and UbiSoft's UPLAY / UbiSoft Connect?
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks.
So? Any results so far from your 'investigation'? What did looking into the topic yield so far?
low rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks.
Lifthrasil: So? Any results so far from your 'investigation'? What did looking into the topic yield so far?
Nope, since Gabriella obviously enjoys watching our fruitless struggles over here. ;)
Post edited October 01, 2021 by russellskanne