It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
So many people are worried about online privacy right now because of Facebook, Google and similar companies.

How backwards is it that in this climate GOG not only is unable to market the DRM-free feature efficiently but they are in fact distancing themselves from it?

This is incompetence. GOG doesn't need a shift from DRM-free to grow as website, it needs people who are better at their jobs leading the company.
Starsmine: [snip]We are half way through a second business day in Poland now, and there has still been no word. Its not entitled to think a company should attempt damage control over something like this.[snip]
Midoryu: In case this helps anything, I contacted both GOG and IOI support regarding this last week and was informed today that
the "Product manager is talking with the Developers about the bonus content, elusive targets and save system".

More about it in my original post, which I always update once I get new info, did not want to spam this thread:
It's not spamming if it's new relevant information, which it is. I recommend reporting new developments in a new post, like you just did (and linking to the original).

P.S. I wonder if the GOG employee "yearly bonus content" is somehow linked to "elusive sales targets".
high rated
Midoryu:
The save game issue between the Steam and the GOG version alone is already quite telling. For a single player game it should not matter for the save game from which store you buy the game, This means the game is tied to proprietary architectures of the company you buy the game from.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by Arundir
Was this guy (attached image) threatened with a gun or how is one able to write such a review?

Also, whats with all these stupid "just patch the game with this magic offline patch..." reviews?
1. There is none (legally).
2. It doesn't matter.

Don't be fooled.
Attachments:
dumb.jpg (19 Kb)
high rated
russellskanne: Was this guy (attached image) threatened with a gun or how is one able to write such a review?

Also, whats with all these stupid "just patch the game with this magic offline patch..." reviews?
1. There is none (legally).
2. It doesn't matter.

Don't be fooled.
If they need to take time to write a DRM free version before they release it here, then the game should be pulled until they write that code. Or just pulled forever. This is not a DRM free game. It requires an online connection for single player content.

I also notice that GOG's statement about "we will never require an online connection for single player content" seems to have disappeared from the website or at least become less prominent.

As I said, this is a shit show.
Syphon72: So you still need client to play 90% of the games on steam. :( Steam has about 30000 games on it. Let's say 3000 are DRM free, which is 10%. That's why I'm saying 90% still need the launcher to play. The DRM free list on steam is only going to get smaller every year.

Not buying from a DRM free stores because they have no interesting game's is fair. But don't be upset when DRM free game's disappear in future.

I have 475 games on steam. I count maybe 10 that are DRM free from my list. Saying 60% of steam is DRM free is very misleading to people

If you like keep eye out for Zoom, they plan on adding 300 more game's soon.

Sorry for my bad grammar I have dyslexia.
mrkgnao: I agree saying 60% is misleading. I shouldn't have done that. Similarly, saying 10% is misleading. Neither of us knows the real number. I have 50 games in my steam library and 100% of them are DRM-free. I did inadvertently get 3 DRM'd games in a bundle I bought recently --- I immediately deleted them.

For all practical purposes, it doesn't really matter how many DRM-free games there are on steam or on GOG. Both have more games of interest to me than I will ever be able to play. In fact, my own GOG library is enough to last me for several lifetimes.

I must admit that I don't understand your POV completely. You seem, from your arguments, to care a lot about DRM-free games and gaming, yet you state you own 465 games on steam, which I presume you also play. How do you square these two things together?
Initially, I started using Steam back in like 2005. I didn't even know about GOG at the time, and I was only buying games on Steam.  I started using GOG in 2011. 

Then I thought some games would never come to GOG, but I was wrong.   Now day's I rarely buy from steam.  I think the last game I bought was five nations and Zero Hour to play with friends.  I don't play on my steam account much as well.

If you like RTS, look up five nations on Steam. It's DRM-free. I'm sucker for RTS games and could not wait for an GOG releases. lol If you like steam more all the power to you.
mrkgnao: I agree saying 60% is misleading. I shouldn't have done that. Similarly, saying 10% is misleading. Neither of us knows the real number. I have 50 games in my steam library and 100% of them are DRM-free. I did inadvertently get 3 DRM'd games in a bundle I bought recently --- I immediately deleted them.

For all practical purposes, it doesn't really matter how many DRM-free games there are on steam or on GOG. Both have more games of interest to me than I will ever be able to play. In fact, my own GOG library is enough to last me for several lifetimes.

I must admit that I don't understand your POV completely. You seem, from your arguments, to care a lot about DRM-free games and gaming, yet you state you own 465 games on steam, which I presume you also play. How do you square these two things together?
Syphon72: Initially, I started using Steam back in like 2005. I didn't even know about GOG at the time, and I was only buying games on Steam. I started using GOG in 2011.

Then I thought some games would never come to GOG, but I was wrong. Now day's I rarely buy from steam. I think the last game I bought was five nations and Zero Hour to play with friends. I don't play on my steam account much as well.

If you like RTS, look up five nations on Steam. It's DRM-free. I'm sucker for RTS games and could not wait for an GOG releases. lol If you like steam more all the power to you.
Thank you. I understand now.
GHOSTMD: the big BIG BIG BIG difference here on GoG is, with Galaxy being OPTIONAL and NO DRM
attached to the games, NO ONE can contol what you do with your property once you
bought it here. That is different with DRM and mandatory launchers, at any given time
a publisher could take away your access. (i am sure they will do so soon enough)
mrkgnao: The steam client is also optional for DRM-free games on steam, of which there are many thousands (see here for a very incomplete and sometimes inaccurate list: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games).

You don't need the client to download/install any steam game (see here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_free_on_steam_vs_gog_poll/post68), and once downloaded/installed, assuming the game is DRM-free, you don't need the client to play the game, nor can anyone but you control it.
BUT as you said it only counts for DRM free games on STEAM.... on GoG the games supposed
to be DRM and launcher FREE by default. Majority of games on STEAM are with DRM and steam in
itself is DRM. I am entitled to have full control over the property i buy and steam / valve was the
very first launcher NOT giving gurantee about this, with their (sure weak) DRM in the launcher itself.

And no you don t control games that have DRM or mandatory launchers. The publishers do.
That is like having a hand on your throat all the time, even if said hand doesn t squeeze (yet)
it is still there. Not gonna have that EVER. I even dislike the change GoG made with their
desktop icons a few years ago. Thats why i make sure every Game runs completely STANDALONE
via the game executable in the folder.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by GHOSTMD
mrkgnao: The steam client is also optional for DRM-free games on steam, of which there are many thousands (see here for a very incomplete and sometimes inaccurate list: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games).

You don't need the client to download/install any steam game (see here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_free_on_steam_vs_gog_poll/post68), and once downloaded/installed, assuming the game is DRM-free, you don't need the client to play the game, nor can anyone but you control it.
GHOSTMD: BUT as you said it only counts for DRM free games on STEAM.... on GoG the games supposed
to be DRM and launcher FREE by default. Majority of games on STEAM are with DRM and steam in
itself is DRM. I am entitled to have full control over the property i buy and steam / valve was the
very first launcher NOT giving gurantee about this, with their (sure weak) DRM in the launcher itself.

And no you don t control games that have DRM or mandatory launchers. The publishers do.
That is like having a hand on your throat all the time, even if said hand doesn t squeeze (yet)
it is still there. Not gonna have that EVER. I even dislike the change GoG made with their
desktop icons a few years ago. Thats why i make sure every Game runs completely STANDALONE
via the game executable in the folder.
I don't buy or play games with DRM anywhere, so I don't care about them. It's as if they never existed. They are non-entities for me. From my POV, there are only DRM-free games in the world. The rest are just inert duds that cannot even be launched. Certainly not something one would want to buy or own.

As for GOG, yes, it's supposed to be DRM-free by default, but it's not. I wish it were, or at least that they would mark the DRM-free ones.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by mrkgnao
Midoryu: For those interested - importing a working save from the Steam version is not possible as the GOG version claims it is a Corrupted Save File. So, at the moment I can't even play with the stuff I unlocked earlier on Steam.
Copying the profile save also does not work. Screenshots attached.

I sure as hell won't go through all of this again - even less so with being forced to do this online.
If I find a way to atleast use my unlocks again I will update this post. Fingers crossed.
Later I will contact GOG support with details on why the version they provided/were provided is a glorified demo at best currently, regarding offline functionality.

Updated later for clarification, edit 5: Copying a GOG save to Steam does fail with the same error message. If you look up the error message on the Internet you'll find claims that the save is locked to your account. The Hitman 2016 forum on Steam says that this was changed and saves could be transferred between Steam accounts, however the IOI Support, see below, stated that saves can not be transferred between different platforms.

Added later:
For those wondering about the paths, wanting to maybe also try this:

GOG
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\54504350291134065\Storage\Shared\Files

Steam
D:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\STEAM-ID\236870\remote

UPDATE, September 27th:
Regarding the save file issue, GOG referred me to IOI support:

...In case of the save compatibility please also try reporting it directly to the official support:
https://ioisupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Midoryu: I did that right away and IOI support refers me back to GOG while saying that saves are generated differently for each platform:

I understand that you'd like to transfer your save file from Steam to GOG, however save files between platforms are not interchangeable since they are custom for each platform. Since we here in HITMAN 3 Support are not certified to assist you with direct Steam or GOG issues, I recommend reaching out to them directly for a confirmation of what can and cannot be done with save files. In the meantime, should there be anything else we can address for you, just let us know and we'll do our best to look into it for you.
Midoryu: I informed both support teams about their individual replies and referrals. Will update once new info arises.

UPDATE 2, September 27th, received another reply by IOI support:

Hi Midoryu,

Thanks for following up and for sharing your correspondence with GOG. I can see that they have suggested you contact us in regards to this issue. As mentioned previously however, IOI is not directly involved in the GOG or Steam platforms, which means that we will not be able to provide you insight into how these work. Both GOG and Steam are independent from IOI and from each other, which means that you will need to reach out to them in this situation. Once again, from personal and professional experience, I can tell you that it is not possible to use the save files from one platform on another platform. But for an official answer, you will need to ask GOG/Steam directly.

I hope I was able to offer some clarification, and that you're having a neat day!
Midoryu: To which I replied:

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Only to be certain, I figure you know this already:
If you're saying that they are not compatible between platforms, you are referred to Steam vs GOG vs Epic, right?
As the platform for all of them is PC. Should be the same game, independent of the store front you buy it from. (without the DRM for GOG of course)

Three things:

1. Can you tell me with certainty whether it would be feasible to wait for someone else to complete the missions again on GOG and then providing his save file, so I could use it? For Hitman(2016) this was to my knowledge not possible when it was first released on Steam, until patched in at a later date.

2. Can you provide any insight on why the decision to lock the save file to a specific platform was made? They have the same format, I can't imagine it's due to technical limitations, but fail to see any advantage.

3. For Hitman 3 a platform was established to import save files from Hitman 2 to 3, regardless of the platform. Is there a way to request something similar for other platforms? And the older Hitman(2016)?
They all using the same in-house engine, Glacier, Generation 2.

I realize that this is probably just a technical support team you're related with, so if you can name any other contact I should rather nag about this, just inform me who it is and I will gladly do so.

Have a nice week,

Midoryu
Midoryu: UPDATE 3, September 27th, yet another reply from the IOI support:

Hello again,

I would like to be able to be of more help, but once again, the information you are asking for pertains to GOG and Steam, not to HITMAN. You are currently corresponding with the HITMAN 3 Support department. We do not work for Steam or GOG. We cannot assist you with issues encountered with these platforms the same way a GOG or Steam Support agent would be able to.

As for the Carryover implications for the GOG version of HITMAN 1, I recommend keeping an eye on the official HITMAN social channels, as our colleagues will share all available information there once they can do so. Thanks for your patience in this regard.
Midoryu: It is still my understanding that the game developer is responsible for the implementation and compatibility of the save files to their game.
For now I will wait how the final implentation of the game on GOG will look like, before nagging any further.

UPDATE 4, September 28th: Received another reply by GOG support, I had also sent them the information given by IOI support:

...Thank you for the additional information.
Our Product manager is talking with the Developers about the bonus content, elusive targets and save system.
I'll update you once I know more. ...
Midoryu: I just realised that no one could possibly understand what is meant by bonus content in the previous sentence, here a snippet from my initial contact with the GOG support(don't know about the character limit, entire correspondence surely reaches that easily):

[I wrote]- also, side note: Steam users got the soundtrack and Making of a while back, this is missing on GOG as well and can no longer be claimed by connecting your game to your IO account:
https://account.ioi.dk/?t=rewards
Midoryu: ______________
Edited a minute later: Fixed typo.
Edit 2, 20 minutes later: Added save file paths.
Edit 3 on Sepember, 27th: First update about info from GOG and IOI support team added.
Edit 4 an hour later: Provided full quote from IOI support, beginning was missing.
Edit 5: Changed formatting for better readability and added info about importing GOG saves to Steam.
Edit 6 and 7: Added second and third reply from IOI support.
Edit 8: Added another update from GOG support from September 28th.
Edit 9: Added clarification what is meant by bonus content in the support reply.
How do you manage to get replies from GOG support within the same month?
I needed GOG support twice in the recent memory and both times it was handled by auto replies (failed) and in both cases the problem was "auto-resolved" by waiting enough days without ever talking to a real person.
high rated
barleyguy: This is a shit show. The post about "we will look into it, don't bomb the reviews" is a mealy mouthed non-apology.

1. The game should be pulled immediately. It's obviously not DRM Free. It can be put back up when it's fixed.
2. Pointing out that a game breaks the terms of the website and is broken unless online is not review bombing. It's legitimate reviewing of the lack of functionality of the game.
I 100% agree with this. The only adequate response from GOG would be to remove the game from sale immediately and allow it back on the store only if/when the DRM has been completely removed. Leaving the game up in spite of the backlash sends a very clear signal that GOG doesn't care about DRM-free any more and it is an insult to the customers that have helped build this store over the past 13 years.
high rated
barleyguy: I also notice that GOG's statement about "we will never require an online connection for single player content" seems to have disappeared from the website or at least become less prominent.
That is worrisome, at least we still have this one (see attached). My greatest fear is that GOG management might think about going partial DRM in future, no way they could have missed DRM elements in Hitman, perhaps it's just a test drive to see GOG users reaction. I hope it was just a silly mistake and GOG will never even think about games with online activation check to play some missions or get some weapons, or any other additional content like some clothes and a car in Cyberpunk 2077. I'm a big fan of GOG, yet I fear of what has become of my favorite store.
Attachments:
In the last three years, the first week of October saw GOG celebrating its 10th/11th/12th anniversary. I wonder what this year's celebration will be like.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by mrkgnao
Breja: I see GOG's communist friends were kind enough to organise training for the staff. Delete reviews! Ban users! That will solve all our problems. Fear will keep the local systems in line!
EnforcerSunWoo: You would think a Polish company would know better... given history and all.
You'd think so... but it's pretty clear GOG's no longer hiring based on merit.
high rated
trusteft: How do you manage to get replies from GOG support within the same month?
I needed GOG support twice in the recent memory and both times it was handled by auto replies (failed) and in both cases the problem was "auto-resolved" by waiting enough days without ever talking to a real person.
You know... I'm in first/second level support myself and I used the "secret passphrase" to make sure I'll get treated accordingly.
Joking aside... I can't really say how their system works and how much this is affected by the assigned agent.
Could have just been lucky.

I first opened a ticket using the chat bot(as I find it interesting to see how much they evolved... or not) and then went to make comparison screenshots between my GOG copy and progress and my Steam copy. (Played the game since release.)
When I returned to my ticket a few hours later I already had received the first reply, saying that it was being forwarded to the appropriate team.

I'll attach my request for reference in full.

My first inquiry, with the bot, was as follows:
Hitman(2016) - offline progression is impossible
- all suits and equipment are locked behind an online requirement.
You can not unlock anything while playing offline - only use stuff you unlocked while being online.
On top of that it is not possible to use a Steam save file where everything is already unlocked on the GOG build. It states the profile/save to be corrupt and resets it upon launch of the game.
Then, later after gathering the screenshots(took the freedom to fix a few typos for this post, else the same):
I've attached several named screenshots to show off differences between the GOG and the Steam version.
Note that I've played the Steam version, online as I'd have due to it's DRM at release and already unlocked items, starting locations and clothing - those are of course not visible for GOG, as I unfortunately failed to make my Steam save work with the GOG version and vice versa.

I'd like to point out that
- replayability is a huge factor for the last few Hitman games, also touted as such by its developers, they either don't know their own game very well or do not care or know about GOG's DRM-free principle
- this replayability is achieved by unlocking new starting areas and clothing, also new weapons and gadgets which afford new strategies previously unavailable to the player
- some of that equipment, which is not available on GOG except when unlocking it online, is currently used to promote the game on the games store page on GOG, as for example the two GIFs/movies in the description text
- while there are some aspects of the game where an online only connection can be argued for, unlocking skills/weapons/clothing surely is not one of them
- currently there is absolutely no incentive/advantage for me at all to launch my GOG copy instead of my Steam copy - currently the GOG version is nothing but a glorified demo, if you're playing offline
- if you launch the EngineBenchmark.bat in the games main directory it launches Steam for the benchmark, via launcher it works normally
- game progress is stored in the folder LocalProfile - that folder is reset everytime when copying existing Steam saves over to the GOG build(and vice versa)
Example path:
C:\Users\Midoryu\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\54504350291134065\Storage\Shared\Files

So, if it at all be possible I'd like
- the online-only requirement for content-unlocking removed, it has no place at a DRM-free store
- the compatibility between save files on different platforms for PC(Steam, Epic, GOG) restored or atleast a way for existing save files to be in some way imported
- unlikely, but can't hurt to ask: The Elusive Target Missions/Escalations should receive atleast another run, where GOG users can experience them or their unlocks should be obtainable by other means - as in my opinion those were often the most interesting items to get
- also, side note: Steam users got the soundtrack and Making of a while back, this is missing on GOG as well and can no longer be claimed by connecting your game to your IO account:
https://account.ioi.dk/?t=rewards

You can find additional discussions about the online implementation of the game on GOG here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/page1
https://www.hitmanforum.com/t/hitman-game-of-the-year-edition-on-gog/11671/17

Hitman(2016) is a great game and it would be a damn shame when its potential gets wasted,
I would kindly urge GOG and IO Interactive/Feral Interactive to remedy those issues and make the GOG version the best version of the game it can be.

Thank you very much,

Midoryu
Later I also referred the agent to my original GOG forum post and informed him using my existing ticket about every contact with the IOI support team and its exact nature - same the other way around.