It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
So let's recap what happened so far:

- Make galaxy as an "optional" client;

- Make said "optional" client a requirement for MP games using galaxy api or crossplay with steam, instead of keeping alive lan play;

- Allow anti consumer practices such as those of battletech or wasteands 3, both of which locked PRE-ORDER CONTENT behind online check (because yes, "I LOVE TO BUY A GAME BEFORE ITS RELEASE AND HAVE MY DESERVED CONTENT LOCKED AWAY FROM ME");

- Don't fix games which are broken without galaxy installed (saint row 3 remaster has broken/not saving keybindings if you aren't using galaxy);

- CP2077 "my rewards" locked behind galaxy AND online, despite being your first-party game ("rewards" my arse);

- Allow NMS to have content locked behind online because ThEy ArE oPtIoNaL (and oh boy we had so many sheep defenders on that thread);

- Now allow even more scummy games which shouldn't be released in the first place here in which SINGLE PLAYER CONTENT IS LOCKED BEHIND ONLINE AND TIED TO SERVERS.

What else can I say? Congratulation GOG, thanks to this you have lost another customer!

I never considered GOG a perfect store, but I LOVED the drm-free aspect of it, and appreciated when "the incredible adventures of van helsing director's cut" released with a similar problem, only to force the devs to adapt if they wanted to sell their game here.
Despite this however:

-I have to bear an empty forum in which help can't easily be found, endeing up asking on steam forum only to be labelled as a "pirate" because I've bought my games here instead of steam (thus lacking the infamous mouse icon, to which dumb people over there love to jerk off apparently and go full REEEE if you ask a question while missing aforementioned icon);

- I have to bear with missing updates, content, dlc and other features because of lazy or anti-consumer devs who gives us the 2nd citizen treatment, despite games costing more on GOG, there are no legit GOG key resellers, and despite the fact that many people buy steam keys from sites such as KINGUIN, WHO USES STOLEN CREDIT CARDS, THUS TRULY DAMAGING THOSE DUMMY PUBS/DEVS;

- Due to what I stated above I had to develop a habit in which I have to make an extensive research on the pub/dev release history on GOG and only after that judge whatever they will botch/gimp GOG releases;

- I have to deal on daily basis with some SHEEPS who keep defending the anti-consumer practices you are allowing, other than damaging your freaking "DRM-FREE (my arse) policy ";

Dear (not anymore) GOG, I didn't like the direction you took a few years ago, but your statement along your treatment towards your loyal GOG users is making it apparent how low and how bad you want to crash.
You are not steam, and you are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ONE, your strong point was allowing TRUE DRM-FREE GAMES, not being some half assed store with half assed promises which you can't damn keep anymore, and instead proceed with "will not allow review bombing" when people are genuinely 1) letting it known wide and open at our userbase about the anti-consumer practice of this "game" and 2) speaking about technical aspect of a game which not only is legit thing to do, but which shouldn't have been allowed on GOG in the first place.

What will allow you next, Diablo III? Final fantasy XIV? Warframe? Give me a break.

I will stop purchasing games from GOG until you either make IO fix this damn game, or you entirely delist it, period.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Kyousuke.
Orkhepaj: btw is this game good?
A major step forward after the atrocious Absolution, still a step back from Silent Assassin thru Blood Money.

It has a measly 6 levels. In past Hitman games, these levels were sandboxes and you could go about these missions any way you damn well please. While in theory it's still the case in this one, the supposed "replay value" comes from having you repeat the same mission over and over and having you go about things in a certain way (disguise yourself as x, use weapon y, and so on). It's a slightly different approach, I guess some people might like it. I personally didn't and just playing the 6 missions feels a bit barebones (especially since we're talking a $60 game here).

Most idiotically, this game has health regen. This is probably the dumbest thing they could have introduced in a stealth game, as it makes the actual stealthing completely moot. Just hide in a room that has only a single entry/exit, draw attention to yourself by firing a gun and pick off the enemies one by one. Even if an enemy manages to somehow fire off a shot and injure you, you'll heal just in time by the time the next ape comes around the corner. AI in Hitman was never exactly stellar, but in this game it *shows*.

Would be a 4/5 star game if it weren't for the online DRM.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by fronzelneekburm
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
I just think GOG needs to have clearer policies or guidelines about what does and does not constitute "DRM" and "DRM-free" for the purposes of games offered for sale on the service. Clearly, the "You bought it. You own it." ideal has been dliuted over time. For instance, Larian updates its games to depend on a new adware launcher. Is that DRM? Well, it certainly feels like it. Now, we have Hitman: GOTY which comes with an always-online requirement to access significant portions of the game's experience. Is that DRM? It certainly feels like it.

I imagine GOG's "DRM-free" policy for publishers/developers likely only includes overt security add-ons like Denuvo or what have you. Unfortunately, publishers and developers have also adopted other anti-consumer tactics which, while perhaps not "DRM" in the strictest sense or are considered "DRM" as per whatever policy GOG has for publishers/developers, certainly *feel* like DRM to the end user.

There really needs to be clarity on this stuff moving forward.
GamezRanker: For official staff/reps like Link0, perhaps, but not for other goggers. ;)
Which he isn't anymore so ... he should be fine. :)
Post edited September 25, 2021 by MarkoH01
Kyousuke.: So let's recap what happened so far:

- Make galaxy as an "optional" client;

- Make said "optional" client a requirement for MP games using galaxy api or crossplay with steam, instead of keeping alive lan play;

- Allow anti consumer practices such as those of battletech or wasteands 3, both of which locked PRE-ORDER CONTENT behind online check (because yes, "I LOVE TO BUY A GAME BEFORE ITS RELEASE AND HAVE MY DESERVED CONTENT LOCKED AWAY FROM ME");

- Don't fix games which are broken without galaxy installed (saint row 3 remaster has broken/not saving keybindings if you aren't using galaxy);

- CP2077 "my rewards" locked behind galaxy AND online, despite being your first-party game ("rewards" my arse);

- Allow NMS to have content locked behind online because ThEy ArE oPtIoNaL (and oh boy we had so many sheep defenders on that thread);

- Now allow even more scummy games which shouldn't be released in the first place here in which SINGLE PLAYER CONTENT IS LOCKED BEHIND ONLINE AND TIED TO SERVERS.

What else can I say? Congratulation GOG, thanks to this you have lost another customer!

I never considered GOG a perfect store, but I LOVED the drm-free aspect of it, and appreciated when "the incredible adventures of van helsing director's cut" released with a similar problem, only to force the devs to adapt if they wanted to sell their game here.
Despite this however:

-I have to bear an empty forum in which help can't easily be found, endeing up asking on steam forum only to be labelled as a "pirate" because I've bought my games here instead of steam (thus lacking the infamous mouse icon, to which dumb people over there love to jerk off apparently and go full REEEE if you ask a question while missing aforementioned icon);

- I have to bear with missing updates, content, dlc and other features because of lazy or anti-consumer devs who gives us the 2nd citizen treatment, despite games costing more on GOG, there are no legit GOG key resellers, and despite the fact that many people buy steam keys from sites such as KINGUIN, WHO USES STOLEN CREDIT CARDS, THUS TRULY DAMAGING THOSE DUMMY PUBS/DEVS;

- Due to what I stated above I had to develop a habit in which I have to make an extensive research on the pub/dev release history on GOG and only after that judge whatever they will botch/gimp GOG releases;

- I have to deal on daily basis with some SHEEPS who keep defending the anti-consumer practices you are allowing, other than damaging your freaking "DRM-FREE (my arse) policy ";

Dear (not anymore) GOG, I didn't like the direction you took a few years ago, but your statement along your treatment towards your loyal GOG users is making it apparent how low and how bad you want to crash.
You are not steam, and you are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ONE, your strong point was allowing TRUE DRM-FREE GAMES, not being some half assed store with half assed promises which you can't damn keep anymore, and instead proceed with "will not allow review bombing" when people are genuinely 1) letting it known wide and open at our userbase about the anti-consumer practice of this "game" and 2) speaking about technical aspect of a game which not only is legit thing to do, but which shouldn't have been allowed on GOG in the first place.

What will allow you next, Diablo III? Final fantasy XIV? Warframe? Give me a break.

I will stop purchasing games from GOG until you either make IO fix this damn game, or you entirely delist it, period.
Things started to go down hill the moment Galaxy 1.2 was removed and the Galaxy 2.0 beta was pushed upon everyone. Perhaps that is merely a coincidence, but it's impossible to ignore.

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Thanks for taking the time to look into this. In defense of review bombing I think it can be a good thing. Games that receive review bombing, often have a good reason for it. The mob doesn't always get it right, but it's not about being right. It's about bringing attention to something you should know.
edit: Never mind, move along
Post edited September 25, 2021 by fronzelneekburm
Kyousuke.: there are no legit GOG key resellers
I know this is completely beside the point, but you can get GOG keys from third party sources occasionally.
For instance, there was a Fanatical bundle that consisted entirely of GOG game keys.
will not purchase anything here anymore until this is fixed!
Post edited September 25, 2021 by flabberghost
high rated

Sorry, but not sorry.

I don't exactly know what exactly resembles the pipeline over there, but this part right here:
We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks.
Weeks‽ I know GOG isn't exactly a master of delivering information in a timely manner, but I've got to wonder just what information method would be so exarbatingly slow as to require a grace of such phrasing.

Are you manually encoding magnetic data swaps via butterfly and then sending those bits via carrier pigeon?

To rephrase into lay: We live in an age where instantaneous video calls are possible and mundane.

Unless a party involved is being particularly obstinate, this isn't a matter that should require plural weeks.

"Dear IO:

Is it remotely possible to patch Hitman 2016 [(or whichever one this is)] to contain the online mission data in an offline package so we can continue our fully DRM free principle? If yes, how many weeks of work is estimated to do this? If not, then it is with a weary heart that we'll be having to end our contract to sell this game on our store as it breaches our key principles."

Bam, slap it on the desk.
high rated

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks.
What needed to be brought to GOG's attention? SmollestLight's post already indicated that from the beginning GOG was aware of online-only content in the game (it's even discreetly mentioned on the store page, much like GOG did with No Man's Sky), and even regardless of that this is supposed to be a curated store. A curated store that, allegedly, has a main selling point of being 100% DRM-free for single-player content. It's not remotely believable that GOG just made an oopsie here and didn't bother to make sure a game that was infamous for its online-only DRM when it originally released was actually DRM-free. This was very clearly deliberately allowed and no one is going to believe GOG if there's an attempt to claim otherwise. Even the people who run GOG aren't this incompetent.

This store has become such a raging dumpster fire, and I honestly feel bad for you and the other employees who I'm guessing are probably being used as cannon fodder by whoever is actually in charge while they irreparably destroy what was once an incredible place for the sake of pleasing shareholders. I especially feel bad for those of you who are feeling the same pain the rest of us are from this but aren't allowed to express it.
low rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Rather, "fighting hard" would be if they had said something like: we have de-listed Hitman GOTY from GOG, and we will re-list it only if & when the devs decide to make its GOG release become 100% DRM-free first.
You guys act like stuff is so simple and black and white all the time. If nothing else I'm sure they now have a contract with IOI to sell the game. If nothing else they would at least investigate the decision and talk to IOI, which knowing companies like this could take months. You have ridiculous expectations.

GOG have always seen online elements of games as a different thing from singleplayer when selling "DRM free" games. They messed up here because Hitman is a weird game where a ton of its singleplayer content is technically in its "online mode." As I said before it should NOT be here in my opinion, but I'm not going to assume GOG is evil rather than just making a mistake. If they were going to throw caution to the wind and say screw it then they'd be selling much more profitable games.
PixelBoy: I know this is completely beside the point, but you can get GOG keys from third party sources occasionally.
For instance, there was a Fanatical bundle that consisted entirely of GOG game keys.
I follow fanatical and yet I've missed this one bundle, unless I already had the games and skipped them.
Even so, it's an event so rare that it can't be compared with steam keys.
My point though wasn't about the keys themselves, but more about how contrary to steam, the majority of the users buy from the store itself, which translates in more expensive purcahses AND more income for both GOG and the devs.
Darvond: snip
Maybe Chandra meant updating the game could take weeks.
But if that's the case, it could have been worded better.
Or at least, since some people already pointed out about the "weeks" part, a moderator could've given a follow up clarifying. The silence treatment doesn't really help.

Or maybe it's as other people have said, they want to give time for the situation to calm down or for people to forget about it.
But even if people don't get as loud in the following weeks/months, I imagine their financial reports show, at least in parts, that people don't really forget.

(edit: worded a sentence better)
Post edited September 25, 2021 by _Auster_
low rated
MarkoH01: Which he isn't anymore so ... he should be fine. :)
Apologies for not clarifying: I meant official zoom-platform reps(of which Link0 is now a member)