It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

History Lessons

A new batch of Paradox Strategy titles comes to GOG.com, just in time for yet another floor of the Bundle Tower! That's <span class="bold">Europa Universalis II</span>, <span class="bold">Europa Universalis: Rome Gold</span> and <span class="bold">Hearts of Iron II: Complete</span> - our bundle of <span class="bold">History Lessons</span>!

<span class="bold">Europa Universalis II</span> is very much like the original title - but with a longer timeline, hundreds of new provinces and playable countries, and even more detail combined with quality of life improvements. It's the sequel to the award winning (and groundbreaking) strategy title that's spawned so many of Paradox Entertainment's future games - including the two released today.
One of EU's direct descendants, <span class="bold">Europa Universalis: Rome Gold</span> also known simply as Rome, brings the familiar gameplay into 250 years of Roman history, with a few twists like a fully 3D-map, and a story that can start all the way back in the year 27 B.C. The Gold release also includes the Vae Victis expansion pack.
<span class="bold">Hearts of Iron II: Complete</span>, like any Paradox sequel, is both deeper and more streamlined than the previous entry, offering an all-around improved hour-by-hour World War 2 grand-strategy simulation full of historical detail, and tactical depth. Small-scale invasion scenarios to all out global war - this one has you covered.

Learning history has never been more fun, than with the Bundle Tower <span class="bold">History Lessons</span>, available now 75% off on GOG.com!
BillyMaysFan59: I'm thinking about getting the History Lessons bundle, but I just want to know: how easy is it to get into "grand strategy?" Looks like it might be a tad bit daunting.
Don't know about the other two, but describing Hearts of Iron as 'a bit daunting', is like describing World War 2 as 'a bit of a scuffle'.
BillyMaysFan59: I'm thinking about getting the History Lessons bundle, but I just want to know: how easy is it to get into "grand strategy?" Looks like it might be a tad bit daunting.
It is defiantly not an easy genre to get into. Worse yet paradox is not known for good tutorials. Once you learn them though they are amazing. I would recommend looking a youtube for a lets play or looking up some guides that can help you learn the basics.
I am almost certainly going to get this bundle since I have some of these and I really enjoy the grand strategy game type. I do have a question though.

My wallet is a bit on the empty side and I won't be able to get more then one, possibly two, bundles during this sale. It appears that you can get bundles from previous levels all the way till the end of the promo. I am hoping someone can confirm that for me. I would hate to wait till the last day and find out I can't get this bundle but a star wars one might beat this bundle out and I am trying to wait.

Thanks for the help.
Can't wait to see a bunch more Paradox titles here. We need the rest of the Europa's but also Sengoku , as well as Crusader Kings 2, among others.

I scored all of the games released today! :)
Post edited April 15, 2015 by JinseiNGC224
Instabought, thanks a lot for the bundles <3
Is there any point in playing these when there are successors out?
jamotide: Is there any point in playing these when there are successors out?
That is exactly what I wanted to ask. In my case especially regarding EU2. HoI2, I will get sooner or later. I might even buy the whole bundle before Sunday since the discount is so temting.
JinseiNGC224: Can't wait to see a bunch more Paradox titles here. We need the rest of the Europa's but also Sengoku , as well as Crusader Kings 2, among others.

I doubt we will see Ck2 here anytime in the neat future. They are still releasing dlc like hotcakes and seem fairly dedicated to keeping it on steam only. a few years ago they were selling it on gamersgate but decided to stop supporting that store and told everyone to transfer their key to steam for all future updates. There reason for this was that it was to hard to support two separate versions of the game.
Speaking of EU: Rome, unfortunately there was never a direct successor and it is still the only game that does the Roman Republic period well. Plus it uses the EU3's engine so it doesn't look that old. So, yeah, pretty much the game to get if you like Europa Universalis and that time period.
IF you want hearts of iron 2 just buy darkest hour instead. It's a vastly improved hearts of iron 2, and is much better then hearts of iron 3. Also, it has the current version of Kaiserreich.
Instabought!

jamotide: ...
animalmother2105: ...
EU2 is way more scripted than EU3, thus in EU3 you can have more freedom, but EU2 is more historically rightous. So if you only plan to play a single nation many times, you could find EU2 boring since there are always the same events at the same year. But, if you want to play (almost) every nation only once a time, EU2 will be okay.
The AGCEEP mod adds more historical events (that mod has been eventually updated to For the Glory). (Too bad the AGCEEP website is actually down)

Concerning EU2, look after the mods: AGCEEP, EGUFSM and MyMAP

There are many mods for HoI2 too.
Amazing releases. Will pick up the whole bundle.
The only reasons for buying the early games in the Paradox grand strategy franchises like Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings or Hearts of Iron are that you either have some kind of nostalgic connection to those games or that you'd like to explore the roots of the series and see how far they've come since. Other than that, just buy the latest entries in those franchises, as they are vastly superior in content, interface, and gameplay.
JinseiNGC224: Can't wait to see a bunch more Paradox titles here. We need the rest of the Europa's but also Sengoku , as well as Crusader Kings 2, among others.

coxdr: I doubt we will see Ck2 here anytime in the neat future. They are still releasing dlc like hotcakes and seem fairly dedicated to keeping it on steam only. a few years ago they were selling it on gamersgate but decided to stop supporting that store and told everyone to transfer their key to steam for all future updates. There reason for this was that it was to hard to support two separate versions of the game.
Never doubt the power of GOG! ;)
Post edited April 15, 2015 by JinseiNGC224
Seems like some solid releases for fans of the genre; still hoping to see a big one or two - WB/Midway or an older big-name publisher. :)