It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.7 Minagoroshi is now available DRM-free. Get it 10% off until August 8th, 11pm UTC.

Hinamizawa, a small village in the Japanese countryside.
While there are fewer than two thousand people there, every year, 'something' happens.
For the past 4 years, someone has died, and someone else has gone missing.
This series of deaths and disappearances is connected to the local resistance against a now-abandoned dam construction project. A murder during the construction, covered up by the local authorities, is being re-enacted year after year.
Is it a conspiracy? A coincidence? Or perhaps a curse?
omega64: They let you pick. The originals are awful though.
MarkoH01: Unfortunately they don't let you pick the original music though.
Ah, shame.
MarkoH01: Unfortunately they don't let you pick the original music though.
omega64: Ah, shame.
Luckily we have a workaround.
Heh nice simultanios release with Steam and GOG. Think i can wait for a bigger discount this time since i need to read chapter 5 next.
Also read on steam that tips have problems that soft-locks/freezes the game.
Wonder if this happens here to when you finish the first chapter and check the tips
Post edited July 19, 2019 by Fonzer
I have never bought a new GOG release so quickly upon logging onto this site. I love this series so much, and waiting for this one to finally come out.

Looks like I need to finish Chapter 6 and start this. I'm pretty close to the end of 6 I believe.

Thanks GOG and MangaGamer!
ryuken3k: Do the GOG versions have the original art?
Not at all. They have style, originality and sense behind them. You immediately recognize it. Meanwhile, generic art #893603 has nothing of the sort. It's simply bad. Also, if the art was "awful", I'm sure it never would have become as popular as it is, especially in Japan.
Chacranajxy: I really have to get around to actually playing these games. I've heard nothing but good things, but uh... I dunno. The presentation has always put it pretty low on my list of VNs to play.
There's an extremely easy to install fan patch with decent art and voices for chapters 1-6.

In fact, I highly recommend playing with the fan patch and voices, as quite a lot of the child characters' dialogue is intolerably stupid in unvoiced writing.

Work on the patch for chapter 7 (this one) has started.
Starmaker: There's an extremely easy to install fan patch with decent art and voices for chapters 1-6.

In fact, I highly recommend playing with the fan patch and voices, as quite a lot of the child characters' dialogue is intolerably stupid in unvoiced writing.

Work on the patch for chapter 7 (this one) has started.
You should've mentioned that it's free and open source and I would've clicked. Oh, wait, I clicked anyway! Nevermind me then.

But speaking of dialogue, does the mod actually change it then? And by child characters.. you mean who? Most of the main characters are minors.
Post edited July 20, 2019 by clarry
clarry: But speaking of dialogue, does the mod actually change it then? And by child characters.. you mean who? Most of the main characters are minors.
No, it doesn't. PS3 censorship is rolled back, too (censored lines are unvoiced).

What I mean is writing (generally speaking) doesn't reflect real human speech word for word. When some auteurs go ahead and reproduce ums, ahs, awkward pauses and such on page / stage / screen, it looks unnatural.

Higurashi has kind of a similar problem -- the main cast emote in direct speech a lot. They laugh, cry, shout, fangirl-squee and fangirl-drool, tease each other, etc. Traditionally, this is not something conveyed by direct speech in writing, but in this here VN, it is, and the result, unfortunately, looks (at least to me) like a nonreader tween's first novel.

But add (Japanese) voices, and it works.
Lucumo: Not at all. They have style, originality and sense behind them. You immediately recognize it. Meanwhile, generic art #893603 has nothing of the sort. It's simply bad. Also, if the art was "awful", I'm sure it never would have become as popular as it is, especially in Japan.
Yeah, no, the originals are terrible. MG's are best. "Generic" my ass
Lucumo: Not at all. They have style, originality and sense behind them. You immediately recognize it. Meanwhile, generic art #893603 has nothing of the sort. It's simply bad. Also, if the art was "awful", I'm sure it never would have become as popular as it is, especially in Japan.
DDDespair: Yeah, no, the originals are terrible. MG's are best. "Generic" my ass
If you have no clue about character design in anime and/or VNs, next time, please don't reply to make yourself look like a fool.
I want to try Higurashi series, but did I start from the beginning or the story is not internconnected?
RedRagan: I want to try Higurashi series, but did I start from the beginning or the story is not internconnected?
It's interconnected and the intended experience is to start from the beginning.
(The Umineko series is a separate story.)
Lucumo: If you have no clue about character design in anime and/or VNs, next time, please don't reply to make yourself look like a fool.
Oh I'm sorry, Mr. No-True-Scotsman. No, they are not generic. And I am quite familiar with character designs. Protip: talking down to people does not make you sound like an expert, dumbass.
One thing that Japanese certainly do well, or at least differently, is naming their games. "When they cry hou", indeed.

Western games are more like "Pillars of War!" or "Power & Steel: The Enigma!" or "Wow Look At My Big Dick!". They should be more japanesque, like "Kwarzipartsu: Usually Happens When You Jump Roof To Roof At Midnight Or Something"
Post edited July 20, 2019 by timppu
timppu: "Kwarzipartsu: Usually Happens When You Jump Roof To Roof At Midnight Or Something"
Thankfully, they just called it Thief.