It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ready to play dirty?

<span class="bold">Gremlins, Inc.</span>, a fierce digital board game where you must outmanoeuvre other gremlin businessmen at every turn, is now available on GOG.com with a 50% launch discount.

This is a gremlin eat gremlin world of ruthless capitalism, political power struggles, and opportunistic moves. Use cunning, subterfuge, and your conveniently maladjusted moral compass to navigate a steampunk universe of cut-throat profiteering, both in single-player and multiplayer.

Expand your experience further with the <span class="bold">Digital Artbook</span> or <span class="bold">Soundtrack</span>, plus the <span class="bold">Uninvited Guests</span>, <span class="bold">Astral Gamblers</span>, and <span class="bold">Automated Competitors</span> DLC.

The 50% discount will last until May 18, 13:00 PM UTC.

NOTE: The game supports Galaxy/Steam crossplay, GOG Galaxy achievements, and a fully functional mod Workshop, among other things.

When you buy this game, you get 2 products in your GOG Library: Gremlins, Inc. – playable online in single-player and multiplayer modes, with item drops; and Gremlins vs Automatons – playable offline in single-player mode.

Tinker with the trailer.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by maladr0Id
paladin181: Hey, I am only explaining the hate to you. I don't have a dog in this fight with you specifically. My problem is with GOG. Not that they are willing to do this or the other (I happily own over 300 games on Steam and 500 here), but that they are not honest about it. Transparency goes a long way in the world. If you're (not you, but GOG in this case) going to start rolling back on your original core principles, then be up front about it. Don't tell me about optional clients that won't be optional for all games, or DRM-free store that sells some DRMed games. That was my point.
I'm not sure if this is really them going back on a core principle of DRM Free honestly... I think this is just one of them cases were what GOG views as DRM and some of the community views as DRM don't align up. Obviously somebody at GOG has a list they checked off, because the original version of Gremlins, Inc was denied when it didn't have a offline version.

No I think the real issue here is GOG doesn't make how they determine DRM Free clear to the community which means some people who may not completely agree with that interpretation are being strung along. Fortunately for me though, I think me and GOG are pretty close in our definitions of DRM Free based on their actions.
BKGaming: I'm not sure if this is really them going back on a core principle of DRM Free honestly... I think this is just one of them cases were what GOG views as DRM and some of the community views as DRM don't align up. Obviously somebody at GOG has a list they checked off, because the original version of Gremlins, Inc was denied when it didn't have a offline version.

No I think the real issue here is GOG doesn't make how they determine DRM Free clear to the community which means some people who may not completely agree with that interpretation are being strung along. Fortunately for me though, I think me and GOG are pretty close in our definitions of DRM Free based on their actions.
EDITED for simplicity:
-Gremlins Inc is online only, Single player and multi player.
-The DLC for Gremlins Inc is online only.
-There is an Off-line standalone add on; Gremlins vs Automatons.
-The DLC do not function with the standalone off-line Gremlins vs Automatons
-Gremlins Inc is DRM since it will not function without online access or Galaxy.
-I will not purchase the game on GOG due to the above stated reasons.

I think that clearly and succinctly covers what I was trying to say without being so repetitive and disorganized.
Post edited May 14, 2017 by paladin181
paladin181: The single-player mode of Gremlins Inc is online only (DRM). The off-line single player mode of Gremlins is a standalone offering, making Gremlins, Inc online only. If it is online only, and requires registration, then it is DRMed. The fact that they have a really similar standalone off-line single player mode is moot, since the base game is DRM. Also, Gremlins, Inc will not play without online and Galaxy. PERIOD (as long as I am not misinformed; I will not buy the game on GOG because of this). And the Single-player of Gremlins, Inc and DLC only function online. That makes it all DRM. The developer here stated that the off-line mode is actually a separate game, Gremlins vs Automatons that is included with Gremlins, Inc.
It's the same mode (single player) and essentially same content offered in a separate product, GOG probably views that as an acceptable compromise based on what most of the customers are willing to purchase, and I tend to agree with them myself. If the dev had just modified the Grimlins, Inc to make it work offline (which I agree should have been the plan), instead of stripping the single player portion out for a separate product nobody would be complaining because it would essentially be like most other games on GOG. Again this is an issue of how you view DRM Free, and how GOG views DRM Free.

Not that I'm defending this dev or anything, I have my own issues with them... but this is on GOG, if it's on anyone.
SergeiKlimov: * No DLCs were developed for the offline edition, and we have no such plans. Our three character DLCs are multiplayer-focused to begin with.

* We keep updating Gremlins vs Automatons whenever we introduce major changes to the single-player mode of Gremlins, Inc
Thanks for the reply.

Btw, I'm not sure why you chose to duplicate your product, instead of just keeping the SP games offline in the main version. O_o
Post edited May 14, 2017 by phaolo
BKGaming: but this is on GOG, if it's on anyone.
That's what I was saying earlier.
paladin181: I understand about growth, as I said. It's hard to watch for a lot of us who felt like GOG cared about not turning to anti-consumer methods like DRM and required online clients. Dress it up however you like, but those notions are both anti-consumer. And they are at least somewhat necessary, I'm not claiming that they are not. But here, they're not supposed to exist. But it is still hard to accept that GOG, who claimed (and still claims) to stand against these practices are turning to them, and that is also a very slippery slope.
When people talk about GOG, Humble, Steam and other platforms, you can generally categorise them into the pioneers of sales events, which would be Humble (essentially, the guy who sells you a box of "12 best beers from Bavaria" and you buy it, even though you would love only 2 of these and won't generally buy them, but hey, it's a good angle); pioneers of customer service, which would be Steam (you probably saw the last post by Robin, explaining the future, and it's very clear that they want the store to be "the best store for every specific user"); and pioneers of discovery, which would be GOG that brought back from the dark a bunch of great games that were too old for (then) mainstream retail but with the digital age blossomed since we (players in their 40s or 30s) were happy to overlook the visuals and still play GBA or GOG's 90s mixes.

I see a big problem with GOG losing that edge, and IMHO this is the thing that can kill the platform, eventually making it "one of" the many platforms like Gamers Gate that essentially are a forum with a store attached. Here's the thing: since the big transition from retail to digital, and the following transition to self-publishing (we're in a bundle on Steam with 5 other games, all of which are self-published, and the interaction within the group is very fast, and very direct) there's been one more huge change: transition from communication as PR to communication as community management, thanks to the Early Access approach.

One of the examples of EA ahead of the actual EA is Mount & Blade from TaleWorlds. Recent success stories are Rimworld and Factorio. Now, one of these 2 excellent games is available on GOG, the other is not. The difference is in the size of the team. The larger team out of these two is able to launch the product even pre-Steam, the smaller team simply does not have the manpower to spend their time on this. And as the "pioneers of discovery", I feel that GOG is already taking a step back here. IMHO, if GOG would offer 20 quirky products 2 out of which will score 100+ votes and the others will tank, this would be a better situation than GOG offering the same 2 products without the other 18, but 1 year down the road from the mainstream launch.

In 2007 multiplayer was the big thing. Engines were the big thing. In 2017, we pay a few hundred dollars for a Unity license, and we use software that allows us to be playable online in a matter of months. What this created, is a corresponding change in game design. With Gremlins, Inc. we're seeing 50,000-75,000 trades – just trades – between players on Steam, every month. Our own profit from this is about $50 per month. Players, meanwhile, make many times more. Just recently someone got a rare item and sold it to another user for €50. Amazing! Exciting! (to me, as the developer). Someone bought my game for $15 and made €50 because they got lucky. It's a meta-game around the game.

But more importantly, is the change in our dev mindset. When we work with the online client, there's no such thing as "let's do this and risk all". We can do a change, see the actual player data, and roll back or adjust immediately. Moreover, we have access to the data like session stats, which allows us to spot problems in game mechanics regardless of user complaints. When we introduced character types in the game, with different special abilities, there was a huge discussion on how some were overpowered. So what did we do? We created a chart showing actual winrate by character type by type of game, for everyone to see. Removing thus any need to explain, or guess, and giving users raw data to make their decisions on. Following that, we made a few adjustments, as everyone saw some of the stats off the expected target.

TL;DR – gamedev is changing. Multiplayer is exciting. Client/Server architecture AND meta-game with in-game items allows for interaction between players, and mechanics outside of the actual game, that are very appealing because they offer new experiences. This is where we're moving, as well a most of the teams we're friends with. Our new game is designed as a single-player experience. But it will have a special mode, Ironman, that will be online-only, because it will offer great new stuff that we designed to enhance the single-player experience. I don't really care about the piracy. I care about offering to players something great that they can have in our game, which wasn't even possible 10 years ago. And I'd love to see GOG evolving to embrace studios like ours, rather than shorten its release list only to the classic franchises.
SergeiKlimov: As to the regional pricing, I have no idea how this could be "unfair". We and pretty much every other dev that I know of, use US/EU as the base, and then discount China, Russia, Latam, and all the other regions where players have smaller purchasing power. Ukraine, for example, is struggling a lot right now. How can we ask for $15 there, when they make /3 of what people make in, say, Germany? So we ask for $5 there.

On Steam, Poland is included in the EU region, since Steam does not support PLN (local currency). Our sales to Poland at €15 via Steam were pretty modest, even though we invest in full Polish localisation. One thing I see form GOG sales already, is that when we were able to set the locally adjusted price in PLN for Poland here, our sales to Poland jumped into top3 regions. Regional pricing in this case makes us able to meet the expectations of more players in Poland, how could this be bad for anyone?
My only quirk with regional pricing is that while some countries are favored a lot (ie Russia), other countries with lower or similar purchasing power (ie Bulgaria, Romania) get to pay german prices, which on Steam are higher than US (probably because of VAT amongst others). GOG at least gives the fair price policy, yet it's still unfair for a large portion of the world, as I'm sure there are many more just as neglected countries.

Anyway it's not the developer's fault that pricing is as it is, just pointing out the unfairness that can stem from regional prices.

Btw, off topic since you mentioned it, I'd love to see Battle Brothers here.
phaolo: Btw, I'm not sure why you chose to duplicate your product, instead of just keeping the SP games offline in the main version. O_o
We originally built Gremlins, Inc. as a multiplayer product.

When we decided to develop a version that would work offline, it was only possible as a separate product, otherwise we would have to rewrite the product that we built in 2013-2016 with a totally different architecture in mind.
Btw, Factorio is on GOG.
paladin181: That's what I was saying earlier.
It's was more of a message to all here... rather than just directly to you.

I just think some people need to have the hard realization that what they view as DRM and what GOG views as DRM is never going to match, and either they need to accept that and/or find an alternative to GOG.

GOG already limits itself to what games they can sell pretty significantly because of the whole DRM free principle, their not going to go as far as some would like because they would barely get any games in today's market.

I realize that may be a little harsh and I don't mean to be... but I do think it needs to be said. Sorry.
Post edited May 14, 2017 by BKGaming
blotunga: My only quirk with regional pricing is that while some countries are favored a lot (ie Russia), other countries with lower or similar purchasing power (ie Bulgaria, Romania) get to pay german prices, which on Steam are higher than US (probably because of VAT amongst others).
We're fully with you, as any other reasonable devs.

The way it works is that EU directive demands "one currency, one price". So as long as we sell in euros to Poland and Germany, Poland cannot have different price from Germany.

On Steam, there's no PLN, so we sell in euros, and end up not making sales since the game is too expensive. On GOG, we're able to offer PLN pricing, which is lower than European, which means we finally meet the demand for our game as it's finally offered at the right price.

With Romania and Bulgaria, the situation will be resolved once some platform starts supporting the local currencies (if there are local currencies). For example, Humble is huge, but they don't really offer PLN or even RUB. But if the currency is the same euro... then the EU directive makes it illegal to change the prices.

I live in Lithuania, which is substantially poorer than Germany. And yet we're unable to offer any discount to the local users as we sell in euros here. So we end up not picking up sales, users end up not picking up games. While it's actually different with the retail where you can offer a "Lithuanian box" and offer the special price.

Sadly, there's no workaround, as long as we have the "single digital market" in Europe. Some things in Europe are great. This is not one of those ;)
blotunga: My only quirk with regional pricing is that while some countries are favored a lot (ie Russia), other countries with lower or similar purchasing power (ie Bulgaria, Romania) get to pay german prices, which on Steam are higher than US (probably because of VAT amongst others).
SergeiKlimov: We're fully with you, as any other reasonable devs.

The way it works is that EU directive demands "one currency, one price". So as long as we sell in euros to Poland and Germany, Poland cannot have different price from Germany.

On Steam, there's no PLN, so we sell in euros, and end up not making sales since the game is too expensive. On GOG, we're able to offer PLN pricing, which is lower than European, which means we finally meet the demand for our game as it's finally offered at the right price.

With Romania and Bulgaria, the situation will be resolved once some platform starts supporting the local currencies (if there are local currencies). For example, Humble is huge, but they don't really offer PLN or even RUB. But if the currency is the same euro... then the EU directive makes it illegal to change the prices.

I live in Lithuania, which is substantially poorer than Germany. And yet we're unable to offer any discount to the local users as we sell in euros here. So we end up not picking up sales, users end up not picking up games. While it's actually different with the retail where you can offer a "Lithuanian box" and offer the special price.

Sadly, there's no workaround, as long as we have the "single digital market" in Europe. Some things in Europe are great. This is not one of those ;)
Thanks for the info about that directive. It's really a bummer for some of us, also because our currency is to unimportant to be used by platforms on one hand. On the other hand for countries like yours even that isn't an option.
In the end everyone looses. We buy games only when they are deeply discounted and you guys have to wait two or more years to get our money. Or sometimes never as some people can't afford games (especially €60 AAA games), because the price of the game can be the equivalent of their monthly food budget.
SergeiKlimov: We're fully with you, as any other reasonable devs.

What is your personal gripe with Germany?
As I've said before, Eastern Germans on average have a lower income than most people in many European countries and it would still be even worse (like before) if the minimum wage law wouldn't have been introduced recently.
Now some of the other European countries have higher income than even Western Germans and yet you still won't stop about this here being the prime example of "rich people" which is simply nonsense.
There must be some personal gripe involved.
Post edited May 14, 2017 by Klumpen0815
blotunga: Btw, Factorio is on GOG.
you can also get it directly from the developers via Humble widget - https://www.factorio.com/buy
SergeiKlimov: Our new game is designed as a single-player experience. But it will have a special mode, Ironman, that will be online-only, because it will offer great new stuff that we designed to enhance the single-player experience.
What does Ironman mode mean?