It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're casting True Resurrection on Eye of the Beholder and twelve more D&D GoldBox classics.

You are sitting in a tavern. The mighty Wizards of the Coast bestow upon you their greatest treasures: Forgotten Realms: The Archives - long lost relics of an RPG renaissance that changed the face of gaming forever. Today, one of the forgotten grails of gaming history is within your grasp, should you travel to a magical, DRM-free realm known as GOG.com

Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Menzoberranzan - the list of groundbreaking RPG classics goes on. We set out on the quest for Forgotten Realms: The Archives a long time ago, and though it was a perilous journey - after years of searching, huge help from our friends at Hasbro and Wizards of The Coast, as well as months of technical work - we get to be freaking excited to sit here and say:
Forgotten Realms: The Archives are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com

The Archives are a set of thirteen D&D GoldBox classics packaged across three collections:
--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection One</span> features Eye of the Beholder I, II, and III. It's the three and only, the gold-standard in classic RPG dungeon crawling.

--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Two</span> features more gameplay hours and secrets than we could ever count - with Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Pools of Darkness, Secret of the Silver Blades, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, and D&D: Unlimited Adventures.

--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three</span> features near-infinite replay value and and an important chunk of RPG history with Dungeon Hack and Menzoberranzan.

We are now home to precisely 20 years of digital D&D RPG history - from Pool of Radiance (1988) to Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (2008). You can also complete your personal collection with all the remaining D&D titles on sale at up to 80% off in our early D&amp;D Weekend Promo! Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights - they're all here, so head straight to the promo page, or read more about it.

Stream watch:

We'll be featuring lots of D&D classics at Twitch.tv/GOGcom - follow us to not miss 'em or read on for the full Dungeon-and-Dragon-filled schedule below!

THURSDAY, August 20th:
2pm GMT / 4pm CEST / 10am EDT / 7am PDT: Pool of Radiance with Classicor
4pm GMT / 6pm CEST / 12pm EDT / 9am PDT: Eye of the Beholder II with MegapiemanPHD
6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT: Eye of the Beholder with Outstar
10pm GMT / 12am CEST / 6pm EDT / 3pm PDT: Menzoberranzan with Classicor

FRIDAY, August 21st:
6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT: Curse of the Azure Bonds with Piranjade

SUNDAY, August 23rd:
10pm GMT / 12am CEST / 6pm EDT / 3pm PDT: Dungeon Hack with Classicor
JudasIscariot: You'll have to have a PDF open to get the whole story :)
All this talk reminds me of Temple of Apshai, which came with a book that had descriptive paragraphs of each game location. It was a nice way to enhance immersion on old technology.
Telika: I did mean the "choose your own adventure" scene descriptions in videogames, that were sending you to the paper manual. Wasteland had that (I had played an abandonware versiuon before buying it on gog, and I had to open the manual's pdf to learn what was going on at some points), but I had heard that the GOG version includes the missing text in the game.

Judas just confirmed that it's the case, though it wasn't done by GOG's technicians themselves. So, I don't know about these dungeon and dragon games...
JudasIscariot: You'll have to have a PDF open to get the whole story :)
Thank god you guys included the code wheel and such in the main installers, I thought I was going to have to download those separate from the extras. :)
Post edited August 20, 2015 by haydenaurion
dav34: (now if only i could get amnesia so i can experience them for the first time-again)
IAmSinistar: You're in luck! Step over here and I'll use my Claw Hammer Of Forgetting. It has a +5 bonus against Long-Term Memories.
nice. long term memory is so overrated.
Post edited August 20, 2015 by dav34
Oh yes, can we expect Ravenloft and DarkSun soon then ?
OMG
I played most of this games twice (some 3x) on C64, Amiga, PC (the Amiga version is the best one).
And now they are back again, Big Thanks GOG......and I am broke.

But, I guess its better that i can't buy them now. I mean the 2nd collection...the 1st was ok for pc, from the 3rd..only Menoz was good.
I loved them. But sometimes a fond memory is better than harsh reality.
Playing them again? Its the PC version right? Low res...(was looking bad even at release), no maps (i spent hours
making them), random encounters that even with low level goblins takes minutes till you can reach and kill them, days
to collect enough trash to buy a good weapon...
So how do the goldbox games pc versions compare to the c64 versions?
*looks at his boxes of Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades, Champions of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn to the right*
*looks at his C64 standing left side of his pc*
*thinks of a way to temporarily get rid of his wife, daughter and need to go to work*
JudasIscariot: Yes, Wasteland 1 used journal entries just like the early D&D games :)
But the drawback to now having them all in-game is that you miss all the wonderful fake entries in the booklet. Alien invasion! :)
high rated
a little trick for those playing the old goldbox games for the early ones that don't suppourt ad-lib or sound blaster sounds and music you can just set the dos box conf files to Tandy and then find the game's conf file in it's directory like Pool of Radiances can be found in c:\gog games\pool of radiance\Poolrad\Pool.cfg just change the first two letters in the cfg file from E to T and P to T.
Yes yes yes yes! I've been waiting for this. I have my silver archives collection, and this is the same thing (plus FA unlimited) so I will definitely be buying these! AWESOMENESS!
DCT: a little trick for those playing the old goldbox games for the early ones that don't suppourt ad-lib or sound blaster sounds and music you can just set the dos box conf files to Tandy and then find the game's conf file in it's directory like Pool of Radiances can be found in c:\gog games\pool of radiance\Poolrad\Pool.cfg just change the first two letters in the cfg file from E to T and P to T.
Much thanks. :)
GOG wonderful job on undermining the release of Trine 3 and Shadowrun Hong Kong!

I didn't think that was possible!! :)
Holy ancient D&D games, Batman! The Eye of the Beholder trilogy and Dungeon Hack will be mine! Hell, I'd pay $6 for the latter on its very own, but I don't mind a freebie with it. Ssh, don't tell GOG. ;)

What a pleasant surprise, and I only ever remember playing a not so legitimate copy of the first EotB game on Amiga way back when - can't remember if I ever beat it though. Never played any of the others. I'm not so keen on the second pack though, so I'll hold off on that one for now.

Old games? Check. Haven't played? Check. Immensely interested? Check, check, check...

Also, a thank you to Leroux and psaddler pointing out some useful resources that are available for these oldies. I've bookmarked them for later perusal.

P.S. So sorry Trine 3 and Shadowrun HK. You're not nearly as interesting as these oldies. :)
Post edited August 20, 2015 by mistermumbles
I wish I didnt grow up on the amiga versions. Im not sure If I could tolerate the dos versions of the goldbox games.
JudasIscariot: Yes, Wasteland 1 used journal entries just like the early D&D games :)
yogsloth: But the drawback to now having them all in-game is that you miss all the wonderful fake entries in the booklet. Alien invasion! :)
Oh yes. What's wrong with me that I've always liked the fake entries more than the real ones?
While you are at if you get the Dragonlance games and Buck Rogers that would be awesome.