It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

To arms, my noble Saxon knights!

Defender of the Crown, a 1986 turn-based strategy classic, originally launched on the Commodore Amiga, is available in all it's pixelated glory on GOG.com, for $5.99!

We are happy to announce a new partnership with Cinemaware that will bring plenty of mouth-watering classics in their best available incarnations. Starting with Defender of the Crown, more classic titles from Cinemaware will release on GOG.com with both PC and emulated Commodore Amiga versions. Yes, the graphically superior, awesome, beautiful and shiny Amiga versions!

Today's release is a wonderful gem straight from the 80s. Back in the day, Defender of the Crown set a new standard for graphical presentation and innovative, fresh gameplay. As the leader of an initially sparse pack of Saxon knights, building up your army and influence as you proceed, you'll have to stick it to the Normans in an effort to gain control of the war-torn medieval England. Your strategic prowess as well as your sword fighting skills will be severely tested. This turn-based strategy classic will have you saving damsels in distress with your blade, jousting with fearsome knights, and besieging Norman castles - all the while reveling in the Amiga quality sound and beautiful graphics.

Defeat those pesky Normans and unite England in Defender of the Crown, for $5.99 on GOG.com.
Post edited September 09, 2014 by JudasIscariot
htown1980: I'm not talking about music from a previous year. I am talking about music from a GAME from a previous year.

Technology has changed a lot since 1986. Video game music and graphics from the early and mid 80s are objectively worse than music and graphics from, say the 2000s. There is some correlation between age of a video game and teh quality of its music. Listen to this and compare it to good music from a current game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EcS9mJJwo
Erich_Zann: Technologically inferior ? Sure. "Objectively worse" ? Not necessarily. Unless you consider photorealism/hyperrealism (for graphics) to be artistically "objectively better" than pixel art / digitized paintings / voxel graphics, or the pseudo-Carmina Burana stuff from nowadays MAJESTIC!!! games to be artistically "objectively better" than, well anything made before for epic-oriented games.

I simply don't understand how one can conflate superior technology with superior artistic/aesthetic quality. It's like saying colour photography is "objectively better" than black&white, or talking films are "objectively better" than silent ones.

Edit, re-your example : and yes, I grew up among other things with a 286 without sound card, so I know the DOS games were in the gutter when it came to music. Doesn't mean the 80's had bad game music.
There is no comparison between colour and black and white photos and 1986 CGA graphics and later VGA, SCGA, modern graphics. Its not just an issue of number of colours, its pixel size, processing power, the tools that the programmers had at the time, the skills of the people making games at the time. You would know that there weren't a lot of musicians involved in the making of game music in the 1986 CGA era of pc gaming.

I'm not talking about photorealism, I'm talking about the difference between 4 colours and giant pixels and 256+ colours and smaller pixels. There is a reason why modern retro indie games don't emulate CGA graphics or pc speaker sound.

I don't play many modern games, My favourite era of games is the early to mid 90s. No matter how artistic you are, there is only so much you can do with a pc speaker and 4 colours, particularly with programming technology at 1986. (contrast for example to the wonderful work that was done with the pc speaker in the late 80s, early 90s with "real sound")

I didn't say games from the 80s had bad game music. I said I personally wouldn't want to listen to the soundtrack of a game from 1986. There is a subtle difference.

I would love for you to show me a pc game from 1986 that you believe had wonderful game music.
Cinemaware: Hello there Hillsy_!

We noted you made a comment in this thread that you felt that our upcoming project, Wings! Remastered Edition, was "horrible". We are not sure why you feel this way given the project is still under development, and anything you might have seen (or played) was work-in-progress. We are very proud of the work we have been doing on Wings!, especially because it has been exclusively supported by a great community of Cinemaware fans and retro gamers, and we will do everything possible not to disappoint them. We are running the game through Beta testing and most of the feedback from our fans has been overwhelmingly positive. Most importantly though, we do listen to our fans and try to implement as much as their feedback as possible.

We feel sorry that you might have had a negative impression of our work, and invite you to check our latest updates concerning the progress of Wings! at:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition/posts

and our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/cinemaware

Indeed we invite all Cinemaware fans to join our community and help us move forward with the goal of releasing more of our classic titles as well as brand-new games we have planned!

Team Cinemaware
This was my original feedback for your Wings Remastered Edition, it was harsh, but an honest opinion.

I remember when they did the original kickstarter for this, I gave them a harsh email. I mentioned they spent more time and money on the blonde advertising the game than the actual footage of the game. I said it looked tacky and cheesy and then went on how they should at least have a playable demo to advertise the game properly.

They then came back to kickstarter with a demo, I tried it; dreadful. So many problems... The look and feel seems tacky and cheesy. The explosions are no way as good as the original Wings. The enemy planes seem to fly with no AI. It is essentially a mobile/tablet game when it should have been more PC focused. The attention to detail is atrocious. For example, when you get hit in the remastered version the screen goes red. The original showed a sequence where you collide with the enemy giving you the chance to ditch your plane and survive for another day. Your pilot could also be shot, or your plane may go completely out of control through gunfire. I see no passion put into this game. If this is the quality of the remastered version then I am not interested to see if they do 'It Came from the Desert' or 'Rocket Ranger', all three are favourites. The originals will always be the best until someone decides to give the games the respect they deserve.

Side Note: If there is a new demo I have not tried it. I actually felt pretty disgusted as to how you treated the remaster and how you advertised the game when you first put it on Kickstarter. It is essentially a mobile device game dumbed down for that particular audience. The graphics also did not reflect the quality of the concept art which I thought was good, but like you say it is a WIP.

Anyway...I haven't tried the new demo so I won't speculate to accumulate so to speak.

Thank you for the Amiga games though, many of them were terrific from your TVSports games, The Lord of the Rising Sun to Wings. I did complete Wings back in the day too and if I remember correctly there were hmmm...241 or was 244 missions.
capile2: Showing images from the old versions seems bad to me. I understand that maybe they just got the old promotional images to use, but since they're selling a "new" product they should have made pictures that really show the product. I mean, could it be that they had to use the old pictures for legal reasons? I don't know.
Cinemaware: These images are from the GOG-Version! The Package includes the Amiga- and DOS-Version. And this Screenshots are from the emulated Amiga-Version. I think he did not recognize this fact.
Hi Cinemaware why did you not provide the more superior CDTV/CD32 version?
tburger: It is some kind of Cinemaware's in-house build emulator that seems to have some issues. The don't add adf images to run the game on other emulator (say - Amiga Forever)
Lafazar: :( Oh well, baby steps, I guess...
I bet Cinemaware made that in-house emulator also because they are making money off the android ports too with it.
And good for them!
But if this is the only route gog's getting amiga games, Cinemaware would have to share that with other people who want to do these pc ports of amiga games, and yeah like that's gonna happen for free :)

But better not hang on to negative things too much, this is PROGRESS! ;)

superstande: Thing is, isn't Cloanto the owner of the Amiga roms these days?
mangamuscle: No. Cloanto has licensed the kickstart roms and classic versions of the amiga operative system to sell in their products. They have done the same with the commodore 64 roms. ATM the owner of the kickstart roms and classic amiga OS is Amiga Inc. (which has as much to do with commodore as nowadays atari has with the 2600 game console).
Ah sorry, thanks for correction!
Amiga matters are as bizarre as they ever were :)
There was some story saying the Main Man is dead anyhow, who was called the Father of Amiga or something.
Post edited September 10, 2014 by superstande
Wishbone: When you sell a product, you will be judged by the quality of that product. We are not your friends, we are customers. We don't know how many man hours you put into making your product, we can only see the end result.
TheJadedOne: Nice. It's good to see some cold hard reality stated clearly on GOG every once in a while. As Ludwig von Mises says of customers in Human Action:

"They are merciless bosses, full of whims and fancies, changeable and unpredictable. For them nothing counts other than their own satisfaction. They do not care a whit for past merit and vested interests. If something is offered to them that they like better or that is cheaper, they desert their old purveyors. In their capacity as buyers and consumers they are hard-hearted and callous, without consideration for other people."

People like to pretend that it is otherwise, but on the whole it is not and producers who fool themselves with such fancy have a tendency of ending up out of business.
Well, sometimes it's different for some people, even for me. It's not uncommon for people to buy things, especially games and music, just to support whomever is selling it, and for a variety of reasons. Maybe they think they're just cool people. Maybe they have a common agenda. Maybe they like things they've done in the past.

However, when you're running a business, you should never ever count on that effect. If your products can't be sold on their own merits, you will eventually go out of business. When you take people's money in exchange for goods or services rendered, those people are your customers, first and foremost.
htown1980: Am I a terrible person for loving the pc speaker music? :)

doo doo doo doooo, DOOO DOO DOO DOOO
Of course not ;-) I do believe I've made it clear that my distaste for the PC music is just that, distaste. And taste is subjective. However, I also believe that the vast majority of people who do like the PC music only like it for nostalgic reasons. Which, again, is perfectly fine :-)
Post edited September 10, 2014 by Wishbone
JohnnyDollar: I've noticed on several occasions in the past that you strike a decent balance between tact, objectivity, and candor in discussions like this.
Well, I see no reason to rant and rave like they said something nasty about my mother. On the other hand, the honest opinions of paying customers are important to people who run a business (or should be important anyway).

Positive feedback is nice of course, but negative feedback is probably more helpful in the long run, even if it isn't very fun to read for the recipient. I'm not saying people should nag developers about every tiniest little detail (although they do), but if there is something about a product, be it a game or something else, that you truly feel detracts from the value of said product, be it an attribute of the product itself, the way it is sold, the post-sale support, etc., I think you should inform the people selling the product of it. If they get 1000 emails, 998 of which say that everything about the product is fantastic, and only two saying that this or that is wrong with it, then at least they know not to worry too much about those bits. Of course, if it's the other way around...

Some people seem to have an attitude of "If you're not going to say something nice, don't say anything at all", which is about as wrong as it can be when we're talking business. What people who sell things really need to know, is what it would take to sell more things than they do now.
JohnnyDollar: I still appreciate seeing a pub/dev rep here at the GOG forum interacting with other members, but it's important to keep it real too.
Oh, I agree. I think it's fantastic that they are here and are talking to us. But then I also think it's in their own best interest to do so.
htown1980: I agree with everything you say (except for the dos sound thing, but that's because I am a loser), but I don't understand this comment "Two versions of a true classic made awful by incompetent developers".

I don't understand why you say the versions have been made awful by incompetent developers. To me, the games haven't changed at all since they were released, they recreated the "classic" versions in all their "glory".

Sure there are issues with them, sound, graphics, slow-down, but those issues have always been there. That is the game. I don't understand in what way you believe the developers have made the games awful.
Well, when I played the game on my Amiga back in the day, the mouse cursor did not traverse the entire width of the screen when I moved the mouse a mere inch. The game also didn't suddenly choose a completely arbitrary menu option when I clicked somewhere unrelated on the screen. I didn't mention that last bit earlier because someone else already had, but the focus of the discussion of the problems with the release seems to have narrowed down to only my remarks, which is a pity.
htown1980: Whilst I love Defender of the Crown, I think it is just a classic game that is, by modern standards, awful.
If you read my review on the game card, you'll see me saying the exact same thing ;-) However, that doesn't mean that there aren't also additional issues with the release that were not in the original game.
Post edited September 10, 2014 by Wishbone
Defender of the Crown is a nice little game that I love to play on my GBA every now and again. But I can't really see why I should play it on my PC as well.
htown1980: I'm not talking about music from a previous year. I am talking about music from a GAME from a previous year.

Technology has changed a lot since 1986. Video game music and graphics from the early and mid 80s are objectively worse than music and graphics from, say the 2000s. There is some correlation between age of a video game and teh quality of its music.
Technical quality, yes. And in some cases, like with PC speaker music, the technology is so limited that the compositions never get a chance to shine through.

It doesn't take much though. The C64 had some of the most amazing game music, and it only had three sound channels. Of course it helped that the SID chip (the sound chip used in the C64) is basically a complete analog synthesizer, which is still being used to this day. And three channels is enough for the compositions themselves to come into their own. Enough to let your imagination "fill in the blanks" and imagine the composition being played by a full symphonic orchestra, or a rock band, for that matter. Yes, from a purely technical viewpoint, C64 music is quite limited, but there is more to music than technical quality. The compositions are important.

Here are a few examples of, in my opinion, really great compositions from C64 games.

The Last Ninja - The Wastelands

Warhawk - Main Theme

And of course, my personal favourite, Monty On The Run - Main Theme
wishlisted
Cinemaware: Actually, a big "thank you" is in order from us here at Cinemaware. Thank you for all of those who have been supporting us on Kickstarter, buying our mobile emulated releases, and now this latest release of Defender of the Crown via GOG. We have been planning this for quite a while, and have tried to make it a complete package that recreates the original experience as faithfully as possible. None of this would be possible without the great support of all of you, and we have several more titles scheduled to be released and coming soon - so stay tuned! We will also be improving our emulator over time, noting your feedback and doing the best we can to deliver the best experience possible.

In the meantime, we would also like to invite all our fans to join our community on Facebook, interact with other fans and keep up on all the latest news about our projects!
www.facebook.com/cinemaware

Thanks again!
Team Cinemaware
Will Wings: Remastered be coming to GOG and if so, will Kickstarter backers be able to receive their copy as a GOG redemption code?

Thanks.
Post edited September 10, 2014 by yyahoo
For what it's worth, I just played a bit of Defender of the Crown and it seems just as I remember it. I didn't notice any glaring issues with the emulation. Bring on IT CAME FROM THE DESERT and ANTHEADS!
Post edited September 10, 2014 by Barry_Woodward
yyahoo: Will Wings: Remastered be coming to GOG and if so, will Kickstarter backers be able to receive their copy as a GOG redemption code?

Thanks.
Not on GOG, but every backer gets his version before the resale starts.
yyahoo: Will Wings: Remastered be coming to GOG and if so, will Kickstarter backers be able to receive their copy as a GOG redemption code?

Thanks.
Cinemaware: Not on GOG, but every backer gets his version before the resale starts.
Could you please clarify? Are you saying that Wings Remastered is not coming to GOG at all or that backers will not be allowed to redeem their copy on GOG?
Cinemaware: Not on GOG, but every backer gets his version before the resale starts.
yyahoo: Could you please clarify? Are you saying that Wings Remastered is not coming to GOG at all or that backers will not be allowed to redeem their copy on GOG?
Wings! Remastered Edition will not be on GOG for some time to come. Backers will get their download codes directly from Cinemaware.
yyahoo: Could you please clarify? Are you saying that Wings Remastered is not coming to GOG at all or that backers will not be allowed to redeem their copy on GOG?
Cinemaware: Wings! Remastered Edition will not be on GOG for some time to come. Backers will get their download codes directly from Cinemaware.
Thank you for the information, though I am confused as to why Cinemaware would delay the release on GOG.