It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Relive the real-time tactics masterpiece that defined the genre. Commandos 2 - HD Remaster is now available on GOG.COM thanks to the efforts of Kalypso Media Digital. Take control of an elite group of commandos who must venture deep into enemy territory and utilize their combined expertise to complete a series of notoriously demanding missions set in WW2.

Until 31st January 2020, 2 PM UTC, Commandos 2 - HD Remaster is available on GOG.COM with a 15% discount. You can also acquire the game in a special pack along with Praetorians - HD Remaster.
Flyingfluffypiglet:
Can you please PM me a link to the thread?
Flyingfluffypiglet:
mk47at: Can you please PM me a link to the thread?
See post 75, provided it and the Mods here were kind enough to leave it (thank you guys and gals).
Flyingfluffypiglet: See post 75, provided it and the Mods here were kind enough to leave it (thank you guys and gals).
Ah, her. I consider that as further evidence of my they “don't want to display the Nazis in a negative way” interpretation.
Flyingfluffypiglet: See post 75, provided it and the Mods here were kind enough to leave it (thank you guys and gals).
mk47at: Ah, her. I consider that as further evidence of my they “don't want to display the Nazis in a negative way” interpretation.
LOOOL! Best to not to even utter a word to that effect there, that would be walking a tight rope... unless you want to find yourself banned from the discussion. Tough I must admit I've been poking, if not shoving, quite hard just because they deserve it. ;-)
I just read Kalypso's response on the Steam page regarding the Commandos II HD Remastered censorship...

... and couldn't swallow the arrogance.

Words like "modern," and "cosmopolitan" used alongside not wanting to promote hatred by depicting symbols used in fact to promote censorship and contextual "white-washing."

Wow, originally I thought the censorship was much less ideological and more based on the development money needed to sell in certain markets, but reading this response just shows Kalypso is 110% invested in this ideological white-wash.

Playing a lot of military games -- where I play as Germans, Russians, Italians, Taliban, Spanish, Vietcong, Americans, etc. -- I really don't like where this is leading. The day games based on historical context divorce themselves from that context, I might as well start just playing wizard and fantasy games.

What surprises me is this same level of censorship would never be tolerated in movies... in fact in the many movies cribbed by Commandos II! Take all symbols out of Bridge Over the River Kwai? Where Eagles Dare? The Great Escape? The Train?

Kalypso's reasoning would seem to suggest that Hogan's Heroes (tv show) is breeding hatred because it showed symbols. Insanity.

Do they not understand that symbols gain power -- not through historical contextual use -- but through censorship and making them forbidden? Nothing is more powerful than a forbidden symbol.

This whole situation is ridiculous.
Post edited January 29, 2020 by kai2
kai2: I just read Kalypso's response on the Steam page regarding the Commandos II HD Remastered censorship... and couldn't swallow the arrogance.

Words like "modern," and "cosmopolitan" used alongside not wanting to promote hatred by depicting symbols used in fact to promote censorship and contextual "white-washing.
^ This is why I don't get excited about "proper official" remasters anymore. When a game goes almost 20 years and then suddenly is used for a cheap cash-grab by new publishers, it's obvious that most of the original developer staff have moved on (both to other projects and other companies). The few who remain will be placed under new management who had little to nothing to do with the game. Many mid to senior level management personnel at publishing companies don't even play video games, they're simply "good at managing". Personally I'm far more thankful that excellent community widescreen patches exist for the original Commandos: BEL.
kai2: I just read Kalypso's response on the Steam page regarding the Commandos II HD Remastered censorship...

... and couldn't swallow the arrogance.

Words like "modern," and "cosmopolitan" used alongside not wanting to promote hatred by depicting symbols used in fact to promote censorship and contextual "white-washing."

Wow, originally I thought the censorship was much less ideological and more based on the development money needed to sell in certain markets, but reading this response just shows Kalypso is 110% invested in this ideological white-wash.

Playing a lot of military games -- where I play as Germans, Russians, Italians, Taliban, Spanish, Vietcong, Americans, etc. -- I really don't like where this is leading. The day games based on historical context divorce themselves from that context, I might as well start just playing wizard and fantasy games.

What surprises me is this same level of censorship would never be tolerated in movies... in fact in the many movies cribbed by Commandos II! Take all symbols out of Bridge Over the River Kwai? Where Eagles Dare? The Great Escape? The Train?

Kalypso's reasoning would seem to suggest that Hogan's Heroes (tv show) is breeding hatred because it showed symbols. Insanity.

Do they not understand that symbols gain power -- not through historical contextual use -- but through censorship and making them forbidden? Nothing is more powerful than a forbidden symbol.

This whole situation is ridiculous.
You've practically said it all.

I am done with that bunch over there, now they have merged that thread, which was perfectly legitimate on its own as was about censorship with over 400 posts, with one about removal of political symbols. Whether it's a finger towards the community or to brush over that woman's shenanigans from yesterday or both, point is once you've told them a few home truths which they don't give a rat's behind about, might as well talk to a wall. If I was the really vicious kind, I'd ask them if they'd like to 'remaster' on the worldwide scale The Man in the High Castle, which isavailable to watch in Germany, that'd be right down their alley.
At least they've dropped the pretense this was done for legal reasons but they went whole hog into the ideological crusade bit. They stopped lying about the legal crap but apparently looking at a swastika will turn me into a Nazi somehow.

Maybe they have a point - saw a bunch of red circles walking around my local Target store and suddenly I feel like a Japanese imperialist.

No wait, I don't because I'm SANE!
Post edited January 29, 2020 by tremere110
AB2012: ^ This is why I don't get excited about "proper official" remasters anymore. When a game goes almost 20 years and then suddenly is used for a cheap cash-grab by new publishers, it's obvious that most of the original developer staff have moved on (both to other projects and other companies). The few who remain will be placed under new management who had little to nothing to do with the game. Many mid to senior level management personnel at publishing companies don't even play video games, they're simply "good at managing". Personally I'm far more thankful that excellent community widescreen patches exist for the original Commandos: BEL.
Yeah, I don't think any of the original Spanish developers (Pyro) worked on this remaster. In fact there's a video doc on YouTube interviewing the key Pyro players and from everything they say I can't believe they'd have agreed to the level of censorship in the remaster. Pyro seemed very much to be making a WWII game first, a stealth strategy game second.

The developer used by Kalypso for this remaster is Australian (Torus Games). Seems they work a lot for Disney and made Beast Quest.

Other than the censorship, seems the remaster is filled with many, many, many bugs. What a slap ion the face.
It's a shame they decided to censor it for no real reason. I was going to get this but i'll hold off now until it goes dirt cheap.
Flyingfluffypiglet: I am done with that bunch over there, now they have merged that thread, which was perfectly legitimate on its own as was about censorship with over 400 posts, with one about removal of political symbols. Whether it's a finger towards the community or to brush over that woman's shenanigans from yesterday or both, point is once you've told them a few home truths which they don't give a rat's behind about, might as well talk to a wall. If I was the really vicious kind, I'd ask them if they'd like to 'remaster' on the worldwide scale The Man in the High Castle, which isavailable to watch in Germany, that'd be right down their alley.
They wanted to jump-start a new Commandos series but instead have alienated a large number of fans of the games.
From what I have heard through reviews and YouTube clips, here are the censored changes:

1. Hitler removed from game intro

2. All swastikas removed... often with no replaced symbol

3. All "rising sun" symbols removed (uh... it's the current Japanese flag BTW. Does that need censored?)

Can anyone here -- who has played the remaster -- confirm, deny, or expand on this? Kalypso is claiming one thing and I'm hearing the opposite from others.
Post edited January 29, 2020 by kai2
kai2: From what I have heard through reviews and YouTube clips, here are the censored changes:

1. Hitler removed from game intro

2. All swastikas removed... often with no replaced symbol

3. All "rising sun" symbols removed

Can anyone here -- who has played the remaster -- confirm, deny, or expand on this? Kalypso is claiming one thing and I'm hearing the opposite from others.
Don't know if it's allowed to post YT video links here, but there a few showing planes that no longer have the rising sun, banners now void of symbols... I also saw some gaming sites showing the differences with the original. Some banners were totally void of anything, I've seen some symbols replaced with kind of a cross in a circle. Intros with deaths by fires were cut as well.That's what I'm aware of and saw (you probably did too) and remember clearly, there could be more, but if Kalypos were to deny any of that, then I'd be at a loss as to why.

Saw this confirmed by people who bought it, question is are those posts still available or scrapped, for posts sanitizing is ongoing. Hope too this can be confirmed here by a buyer. Am not one of those and never will be.
kai2: Yeah, I don't think any of the original Spanish developers (Pyro) worked on this remaster. In fact there's a video doc on YouTube interviewing the key Pyro players and from everything they say I can't believe they'd have agreed to the level of censorship in the remaster. Pyro seemed very much to be making a WWII game first, a stealth strategy game second.
Read that earlier today, and this is what Gonzalo Suárez says in the section about Commandos, indeed it was about making a game on WW2 and the heroes going on missions which could be the end of them. He wanted players to be able to have the feel of it and somehow experience it through the game.

it's in Spanish but shouldn't be too much of a problem for an online translator to deal with.

http://deusexmachina.es/entrevista-a-gonzo-suarez-desarrollador-de-videojuegos/
Without co-op I probably wouldn't have gotten it, at least not until its very cheap. Add in the censorship and I definitely won't be getting it.

Although, if the old adage is true; any press is good press, maybe they got what they wanted.
Post edited January 29, 2020 by SpeedBo