It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The definitive release.

<span class="bold">Star Wars X-Wing</span> and <span class="bold">Star Wars TIE-Fighter</span> just received a very special upgrade exclusively on GOG.com. Get them both now, up to 30% off in our <span class="bold">Blaster Bundle</span>.

Releasing <span class="bold">Star Wars X-Wing</span> and <span class="bold">Star Wars TIE-Fighter</span> on GOG.com, for the first time in digital distribution, was a big deal. Today, we're happy to finally make that release even bigger. Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and Star Wars: Tie Fighter Collector's CD-ROM are here: widely considered to be the ultimate versions of the space combat simulator, these re-releases feature upgraded in-game graphics, rebalanced missions, new scenarios and cutscenes and new voiceovers. All that, combined with the signature MUSE sound system and a refined flight engine. Most importantly, it's the release you all wanted to see here the most.

The Collector's CD-ROM upgrade for <span class="bold">Star Wars X-Wing</span> and <span class="bold">Star Wars TIE-Fighter</span> is free for everyone who already owns the games, and becomes a permanent new part of the package - exclusively on GOG.com! The launch discounts will last until Thursday, May 7, 6:59 AM GMT.
director_dan: Any chance of the 1998 version ever being released for Mac? I just bought today and in my excitement didn't see the little disclaimer that they only work on Windows.
Both the original DOS and Collector's Edition DOS CD releases work on OS X through Boxer, or Dapplegrey. You just need to run the installer in Wineskin first to get at the data files. You also need to change the "game.gog" file to "game.iso" and mount it as a virtual drive (otherwise the game will whine about not finding the game's CD).
Oh, YES! Collector's CD-ROM edition! The BEST versions of these two, imho.

Now, I just need to be patient and wait for GOG to issue a "Starfighter Bundle" or something like that concentrates on all the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games, since I either already have the other games or not currently interested in the others. What do you think, GOG? A Bundle someday for just the Star Wars space sim games?

director_dan: Any chance of the 1998 version ever being released for Mac? I just bought today and in my excitement didn't see the little disclaimer that they only work on Windows.
rampancy: Both the original DOS and Collector's Edition DOS CD releases work on OS X through Boxer, or Dapplegrey. You just need to run the installer in Wineskin first to get at the data files. You also need to change the "game.gog" file to "game.iso" and mount it as a virtual drive (otherwise the game will whine about not finding the game's CD).
@Rampancy What do you mean by "mount it as a virtual drive?" How does one accomplish this?
Post edited April 29, 2015 by Zarfdog
This is great, thank you so much for adding the collector's CD-ROMs!
To get win95 versions working in OSX, see my thread

http://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_xwing_and_tie_fighter_series/install_entire_xwing_series_95_on_osx_with_wineskin

Zarfdog: @Rampancy What do you mean by "mount it as a virtual drive?" How does one accomplish this?
He means mount the .gog file as a cdrom drive in dosbox with the iso type. Relabeling it as .iso can make boxer register it as the cdimage it is. otherwise just use the iso mount command. imgmount d /yade/yada/gog.iso -t iso or whatever it is...
Post edited April 29, 2015 by herecomethe2000
Thank you very much, GOG!

Coming at a bad time for me money wise, so the games stay wishlisted for the time being, otherwise I would have bought them instantly now.
Nice, thank you very much! =)
I currently do no see the x-wing special edition in my library, even though the game's page listed it as "owned". I only see the 1993 (19.8Mb) and 1998 (116.5Mb) editions.
Is this just a small glitch that will be corrected soon?
ATGardner: I currently do no see the x-wing special edition in my library, even though the game's page listed it as "owned". I only see the 1993 (19.8Mb) and 1998 (116.5Mb) editions.
Is this just a small glitch that will be corrected soon?
Click here please
kalirion: The XvT Engine Windows releases has better (more detailed & realistic) graphics.

The TIE-Fighter CD-ROM Collector's Edition has much more immersive iMUSE music which dynamically changes depending on what's going on in combat.

It is up to you which you find more important. I go with the music myself.
Paul31286: I assume that by "XvT Engine Windows releases" you mean the 1998 versions of "Star Wars: X-Wing" and "Star Wars: TIE Fighter"? So the 1998 versions have better graphics, but these "Collector's CD-ROM" versions have better music?
Better music refers to the iMuse sound system, which basically dynamically changes the music according to what is happening, seamlessly. Developed by a pair of composer-programmers.

You can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdmQJU1Obc basically every time the music changes in response to an event, such as arriving enemies. The 1998 version simply plays a preset music track.
GOG.com: The definitive release.

<span class="bold">Star Wars X-Wing</span> and <span class="bold">Star Wars TIE-Fighter</span> just received a very special upgrade exclusively on GOG.com. Get them both now, up to 50% off in our <span class="bold">Blaster Bundle</span>.

Releasing <span class="bold">Star Wars X-Wing</span> and <span class="bold">Star Wars TIE-Fighter</span> on GOG.com, for the first time in digital distribution, was a big deal. Today, we're happy to finally make that release even bigger. Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and Star Wars: Tie Fighter Collector's CD-ROM are here: widely considered to be the ultimate versions of the space combat simulator, these re-releases feature upgraded in-game graphics, rebalanced missions, new scenarios and cutscenes and new voiceovers. All that, combined with the signature MUSE sound system and a refined flight engine. Most importantly, it's the release you all wanted to see here the most.

The Collector's CD-ROM upgrade for <span class="bold">Star Wars X-Wing</span> and <span class="bold">Star Wars TIE-Fighter</span> is free for everyone who already owns the games, and becomes a permanent new part of the package - exclusively on GOG.com! The launch discounts will last until Thursday, May 7, 6:59 AM GMT.
That's fantastic! Thanks!

Stupid question incoming: Seeing how I already own the game, which came with 1994 and 1998 as separate entries in my library, where is the new one? How do I get it?

EDIT: I found a useful reply a page back. Thanks again!
Post edited April 29, 2015 by Rubberchicken
Now, we just need the X-Wing PowerPC version, which runs in 640x480, and we are all set.

Yes, I know there's no way to play it :p, but who knows, in the future …
Super fantastic news! I'm so glad they worked to make this happen!

I do have one question though. How do I get it if I bought the originals? I've checked my library, logged out and logged back on, saw what I was downloading and I see no sign of the Collector's CD versions. Should there be three icons instead of two in the library?
Attachments:
Jeyl: Super fantastic news! I'm so glad they worked to make this happen!

I do have one question though. How do I get it if I bought the originals? I've checked my library, logged out and logged back on, saw what I was downloading and I see no sign of the Collector's CD versions. Should there be three icons instead of two in the library?
Click here and two new boxes should appear. :)
GOG.com: MUSE sound system
iMUSE sound system!
Thanks to everyone involved at both GOG and Disney for making this a reality! So glad to see the definitive version now released!