It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Streets are uneven when you are down.

<span class="bold">Californium</span>, a surreal adventure in the unmapped intersection of realities, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com for Windows and Mac, with a 10% launch discount.

Creating different, plausible realities is what writers do, if they are any good. Elvin Green is not considered good by his editor, who no longer wants him as his client. He is not considered good by his wife either, as made abundantly clear in the goodbye letter she left behind. Elvin Green needs a different reality. And he will get a number of them bundled with weird, psychedelic images that wash over his mind, as he looks to make sense out of a meaningless existence.

1967 is not a good year for Elvin Green. But it has now become a very interesting one. As he explores the shifting realities that converge around him, he realises he can communicate with the colorful inhabitants and hop between worlds by touching objects which don't seem to belong. And unlike the bleak, dystopian imagery in which most of Philip K. Dick's work is typically represented in various media, the realities of Californium are bathed in a vibrant, intoxicating palette, representative of Elvin Green's indulgence in recreational chemicals. Will they prove to be the root of his plights or the catalyst to better understanding himself?

Get lost within the layered realities of <span class="bold">Californium</span> and find the piece of mind you're missing, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 10% launch discount will last until February 24, 10:59 AM GMT.
Bought it, since it has a really Jazzpunk-ey vibe, and I'm all for that kind of stuff.

I'm not sure about the Philip K. Dick scene, though; looks more like something out of Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice or basically anything from Hunter S. Thompson. Maybe someone mistook S. Thompson for K. Dick, I guess?

Still, really, really cool to have GOG releasing a batch of games that cater to those of us more interested in adventure, puzzling and overall weirdness and surreal stuff. Kudos to you, guys! I have to say I've been insta-buying *lots* of games on GOG, for a while (pretty much every single one in the past three or so weeks).
gamesfreak64: But isnt this a light form of 'discrimination'? :D
PaterAlf: Not really. BBC games are funded by British taxpayers. So it's only logical that they give it away for free to people from that country while others have to pay for it. Same goes for Californium. Arte is a TV station that is completely funded by German and French taxpayers. So people from these two countries already paid for the game and can get it for free.
aha i get it, thanks for the reply.

So basically the Netherlands could be called an extreme 'cheapskate' ( in holland they are very tight on spending money) , cause i dont think we have anything like that, we pay through the nose but don't get anything for free, and it's only getting worse.(the 70-80s were the best periode imho, the government was stuffing its own wallets with our cash, but the living was good back then, now its crap (espec. after the euro was introduced) and it gets only more crappy overtime )
high rated
PaterAlf: It might be interesting that the single episodes can be downloaded for free from Arte's website:

http://californium.arte.tv/de/#/episodes
What's really interesting is that as a European I can either chose the free episodes from ARTE's site, or pay the regional price here.

Simply mind-boggling.
Impulse purchased this, and hugely regret it. Horrible, horrible game. Review should be posted soon. Awful, awful, AWFUL "game".
groze: Bought it, since it has a really Jazzpunk-ey vibe, and I'm all for that kind of stuff.

I'm not sure about the Philip K. Dick scene, though; looks more like something out of Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice or basically anything from Hunter S. Thompson. Maybe someone mistook S. Thompson for K. Dick, I guess?

Still, really, really cool to have GOG releasing a batch of games that cater to those of us more interested in adventure, puzzling and overall weirdness and surreal stuff. Kudos to you, guys! I have to say I've been insta-buying *lots* of games on GOG, for a while (pretty much every single one in the past three or so weeks).
true, a lot of games have arrived, i only got these 2 new games

Jan 26, 2016 €9.19
Order of the Thorne: The King's Challenge

very nice game but i could not make the game run, so i asked the dev and he provided me with a working version
thanks again to the dev of Order of the Thorne: The King's Challenge

I do hope the main game on the gog gets patched so i can download a working version from there , otherwise i have to keep bothering the dev for a link to the game when a update arrives , and i thought there was another update
i downloaded the gog version but the game kept hanging on same error.
It has problems with a .dll file and some galaxy error or so.

This is the 1st game that did not work for me, i never had any problems with non working games.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

Jan 22, 2016
€9.99
Punch Club
nice game, this worked for me with no problem., i finished it recently... good game
bigsilverhotdog: Impulse purchased this, and hugely regret it. Horrible, horrible game. Review should be posted soon. Awful, awful, AWFUL "game".
If you wouldn't mind please pm me when it's up.
I'm quite curious.
groze: Bought it, since it has a really Jazzpunk-ey vibe, and I'm all for that kind of stuff.

gamesfreak64: Order of the Thorne: The King's Challenge

very nice game but i could not make the game run, so i asked the dev and he provided me with a working version

I do hope the main game on the gog gets patched so i can download a working version from there , otherwise i have to keep bothering the dev for a link to the game when a update arrives , and i thought there was another update
Were you running the game with or without Galaxy?
Have you contacted support to inform them of your issue?
Post edited February 17, 2016 by omega64
Mini review is up. GOG gave me store credit which is fine and (thankfully) removed the game from my inventory. Let us never speak of it again.

For the record I loved the hell out of Jazzpunk.
Post edited February 17, 2016 by bigsilverhotdog
PaterAlf: It might be interesting that the single episodes can be downloaded for free from Arte's website:

http://californium.arte.tv/de/#/episodes
HypersomniacLive: What's really interesting is that as a European I can either chose the free episodes from ARTE's site, or pay the regional price here.

Simply mind-boggling.
Exactly, i could download : folge 1 , the rest says it arrives at : march 1, 8 and 15

Bad thing number one : to much strain on GPU (check gts250_gpu_usage.png)

My quad core 2.67 was at 66 degrees tot 70 degrees on each core so thats within reason (it is however still 10 degrees to high compared to all my other games)

The gpu was at 70 degrees celsius all the time

and the game is... well its not my style , but i got curious and wanted to see if i could download the game.

1) I cant select Englis text , only German or French,
2) The interface is very unresponding, its very slow, and wastes too much GPU (check gts250_gpu_usage.png)
Attachments:
bigsilverhotdog: Impulse purchased this, and hugely regret it. Horrible, horrible game. Review should be posted soon. Awful, awful, AWFUL "game".
What's wrong with it?
I hope for something like The Stanley Parable :D
When I get home...
disi: I hope for something like The Stanley Parable :D
When I get home...
You will be severely, severely disappointed.

edit: Now the post just popped up while logged in. Bizarre.
omega64: If you wouldn't mind please pm me when it's up.
I'm quite curious.
gamesfreak64: Order of the Thorne: The King's Challenge

omega64: Were you running the game with or without Galaxy?
Have you contacted support to inform them of your issue?
thanks for the reply

first i ran without Galaxy and it did not work
then i ran with Galaxy and got same errors
Finally i got the latest Galaxy version and still got the same errors.

First of all i want to make clear that i like GOG very much and i think its the best games seller on the internet.
Never had any serious problem and have a clean record , so i was kinda sad that because of this issue my clean record would be smudged.

All my games work a charm, and i am very satisfied.
This was my 1st time i had problems of a game not running, i was sad cause i had a clear record, I never had any problems, I never returned a bought game (mutator promos and other promos are not counted cause these suprise games were all unknown but 90% were 3d games or flashy games (photosensitivity) so i got the refunds in store credits.))

Thats why i did not contact tech support, i did not want to bother them with that, i want to keep a clean sheet.
So i explained the error to the developer and he told me about the probable cause of the error, he gave me a link to a working drm free version and it was solved the game works a charm.

Only problem is when game updates arrive i have to bother the friendly dev again and i dont want to bother him with minor details.
So i tried to download the gog verion that was patched but problems existed , the same errors nagging about a stupid dll file i dont have.
I havent read any people complaining about so i guess its just me, normally everyone has problems and i dont have them, so thats why i wanted to keep a clean sheet.
Well that about sums it up. i have serious problem with 1 game and that bothers me cause i dont want to be nagging about if by contacting tech all the time.
Its a single issue cause all games i have work a charm, so it just a single incident, 1 game that refuses to work.
I dont want to mess up my windows by tinkering with install and uninstalls cause i rather have 1 game not working then have fixed one game and get 100's games not to work.
So my problem is a bit 'weird'.
And if you're wondering why I quoted you twice and posted the same thing twice, it's because GOG's forum is consistently broken for me.

I can't see my own post for some reason, IF I'm logged in. If i logout, I can see the double post, but as soon as I log in, it disappears. This has been happening to me for a long time.

edit: Several minutes later it spontaneously appeared. This time at least. Crazy.
gamesfreak64: And that might be 100% true, cause there are a shitloads of posts when you take some time to google on it.
i mean 10000s of games seem to use that lib and apparently everyone uses a slightly differnt version so poor windows gets clubbed with loads of c++ installations, so no wonder things mess up badly.
99% of all times it refuses to install and takes 'hours' before it finishes, after that you have 50-50 it wont work.
But it seems it can be done without that lib.
Worst thing of all is that you cannot simply download that single.dll file, and the use regsevr to reg it (this worked a charm in the old win xp days)
So i need a clean .dll file (mentioned in the error) but i cant get it, and i am not gonna download weird dll from the net cause god knows what crap be inside it.
Pretty much the only solution would be either a reinstall or removing all VC studio installs and just installing the one for the game.
Others will eventually return when you play other games.
Post edited February 17, 2016 by omega64
bigsilverhotdog: And if you're wondering why I quoted you twice and posted the same thing twice, it's because GOG's forum is consistently broken for me.

I can't see my own post for some reason, IF I'm logged in. If i logout, I can see the double post, but as soon as I log in, it disappears. This has been happening to me for a long time.

edit: Several minutes later it spontaneously appeared. This time at least. Crazy.
Did you try old explorer v11 or up? or chrome browser? i have FF set as default browser, but have the old IE 11x and the chrome browser aswell, just as a 'backup'.
I am member of many forums, games and design forums (all english) and sometimes some software seems to run better in a certain browser, usually FF does the trick for me but sometimes some sites seem to favor IE 11 or so .

Always disable as many browser addons that are not needed, cause sometimes these might mess up in rare cases.

gamesfreak64: *snip*
omega64: If you contact their support they'll help you get it working. At the very least they'll be informed of the issue and can sort it out with the developer. You can't fix an issue if you don't know it's there. ;)

I would suggest making a backup of your saved games and config files and removing the originals. It might run after that. If not you can always put them back and enjoy the copy the dev provided you with.

Sidenote: What did the dev say was the probable cause of the issue?
Which dll file was missing?
my topic is here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/order_of_the_thorne_the_kings_challenge/game_gives_error_reinstalling_the_game_x_number_of_times_wont_fix_it/page1

just check and see how many c++ is installed (i already removed some but the problem stays)

regaring the cause:
it might be:

GoG version has code that works with GoG galaxy, and needs Visual C++ runtimes that can mess with some people's systems

------->
And that might be 100% true, cause there are a shitloads of posts when you take some time to google on it.
i mean 10000s of games seem to use that lib and apparently everyone uses a slightly differnt version so poor windows gets clubbed with loads of c++ installations, so no wonder things mess up badly.
99% of all times it refuses to install and takes 'hours' before it finishes, after that you have 50-50 it wont work.
But it seems it can be done without that lib.
Worst thing of all is that you cannot simply download that single.dll file, and the use regsevr to reg it (this worked a charm in the old win xp days)
So i need a clean .dll file (mentioned in the error) but i cant get it, and i am not gonna download weird dll from the net cause god knows what crap be inside it.
Post edited February 17, 2016 by gamesfreak64