It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Time flies.

<span class="bold">Toren</span>, an experimental puzzle-adventure, is available to pre-order for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% discount.

A child was born, Moonlight, destined to unlock the mysteries of a tower known as <span class="bold">Toren</span>. She sets off on a dark-fantasy adventure that focuses on growth, self-discovery, and overcoming unthinkable adversity: "If your life and all its phases lasted only one day, what would you do with it?" Toren is an experimental adventure that mixes dream-like, orange-tinted scapes with everchanging, puzzle-based gameplay to become an interactive poem: story-driven, smart and beautiful. As you ascend the tower of Toren the world will change, and you will grow with it. If you're a connoisseur of the sounds as much as the sights, <span class="bold">Toren: Deluxe Edition</span> which includes the original soundtrack, may just be the version for you.

Pre-order <span class="bold">Toren</span> now, DRM-free on GOG.com! The 10% pre-order discount will last until May 12th, when the game is expected to launch.
IronArcturus: Is this game similar to Ico?
It looks very much like it, doesn't it?
I'm guessing they drew a lot of inspiration from ICO.

I'm really looking forward to this - looks right up my alley! :)
Go go, brazilian developers! :D
Yes, this game has some government financing, but has anything to do with the corruption on Brazil, or communism (What, are we it?). Expected people like this on Facebook, or some brazilian sites, but not here on GOG. Some people on Brazil just points that the current government is the root of all evil, when more than 90 % of politicians are the problem. Just ignore them.

Anyway, Swordtales was formed after a Conclusion Project on a games graduation course on PUC-RS University. Another game that started as a conclusion project that I remember was Penumbra on Sweden. Expecting a great game, as the art of it is excellent. Being watching it for some years, since they first showed the project. It's by far the most relevant 3D brazilian game, that has some excellent artistic work. Game development here got some relevance just recently.
Post edited May 01, 2015 by LuxEtUmbra
Another good brazilian game is Outlive, a Starcraft clone. It would be nice if one day there was a digital version of it.

LuxEtUmbra: Yes, this game has some government financing, but has anything to do with the corruption on Brazil, or communism (What, are we it?).
Ainda não, mas não duvido que cheguemos lá, se a as coisas continuarem assim.
Has anyone played this game before? Is it like a puzzle game?
I agree to a few comments:

Pre-ordering a game nobody heard about, only based on a video showing few seconds of gameplay (if gameplay)... Well.. Weird.

I must say it looks very promising though.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by siegfriedrox
siegfriedrox: Pre-ordering a game nobody heard about, only based on a video showing few seconds of gameplay (if gameplay)... Well.. Weird.

I must say it looks very promising though.
As Radon has said on page two, the central worry would be the framerate. Stuttering gameplay in a trailer IS a bad sign.
Smannesman: Looks interesting and quite pretty.
And it's another game where the title is a simple word in Dutch.
I'll definitely check it out when it's out.
I wonder what developers are thinking when they do that. Maybe something like: "OK, we're too lazy to come up with a name so let's just translate the word into a random foreign language. And let's hope the people in that country don't play games because then we'd look really stupid." And yes Swordtales, you do look stupid. ;)
Vainamoinen: A couple of links with no apparent connection to Toren, Swordtales or the Rouanet law later...

vicklemos: It is only fair that the devs (not the publisher, they rock) offer the game for us, brazilians, who even indirectly payed for it.
Vainamoinen: Oh, so it's about getting things for free? Why didn't you tell us earlier?

Dreamfall Chapters has received two government grants to date. All government money can naturally be interpreted as taxpayer money. Is, as a result, every Norwegian person entitled to receive this game?

Nnnnnnnope.

Brazil is taking a more indirect approach than Norway. Companies get tax cuts if they use that money to fund cultural projects. The downside is that the project leaders are often searching for sponsors in vain although they were accepted as eligible to receive donations under Rouanet Law already.

Toren/Swordtales got lucky - I guess. That, in principle, doesn't involve corruption. I can't imagine that the game was funded entirely through company donations anyway. The devs have their empty hands and pockets in this as well.

I'm paying taxes over here. Some of that money supports cultural projects. Thank god. I wish a higher percentage of my taxes would do that, but alas. Every country ever uses tax money mostly for utter crap anyway, so if it eventually happens to sponsor a museum or even a video game for a change, fuck yeah.
If im not mistaken and remember correctly the goverment grant does not come from tax money.
We have a lottery monopoly where huge sums of money goes to culture stuff, sports and humanitarian purposes.

Looked it up
Google translate :
Norwegian Tipping a state national monopoly on gambling, and the Ministry of Culture determines its rules and the percentage of the stake goes toward prizes. The company's profit, the so-called lottery funds are distributed today between sport, culture and humanitarian purposes. The funds for sports purposes are allocated by the government, while funding for cultural distributed by two-thirds of parliament and one third of the government. Through Grasrotandelen can additionally each player give 5% of their own efforts at a local club or association.

The translation isnt 100 % correct but cant be arsed to translate it myself :p

According to Norsk tipping
11,5 million kr (1526069.24 $) goes towards good purposes each day.

In addittion Companies get tax cuts if they donate money for a good cause like forexample red cross.
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Lodium
Lodium: Norwegian Tipping
And of course my mind goes straight to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping
Lodium: If im not mistaken and remember correctly the goverment grant does not come from tax money.
As vicklemos didn't tire to point out, it only just can be "interpreted as" coming from tax money. ;)

The truth of the matter, of course, is that all state money can be interpreted as tax money. Governing a state actually is a not-for-profit activity that doesn't work without tax, ahem, "donations" to the noble cause. ;)
Lodium: If im not mistaken and remember correctly the goverment grant does not come from tax money.
Vainamoinen: As vicklemos didn't tire to point out, it only just can be "interpreted as" coming from tax money. ;)

The truth of the matter, of course, is that all state money can be interpreted as tax money. Governing a state actually is a not-for-profit activity that doesn't work without tax, ahem, "donations" to the noble cause. ;)
Well, there is corruption in any state.
Norway has extremly little corruption, but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist even if the newspapers dont write about it as often.
I dont doubt for a second that there are some goverment officials that are eating a bit extra from the cake than they shoud so to speak.
We had just recently a case where a police officer got charged for corruption.
http://www.norwaypost.no/index.php/news/latest-news/29575-oslo-police-officer-charged-with-corruption.

The argument that you somehow support a shady goverment if you buy a game that is supported by a goverment grant is a weak one thogh.
Only way for that to happen is if there were actually goverment officials in the game company
or something simmilar.

Sadly there is extremly little normal citizen can do other than to speak up or notify a newspaper about corruption
Have seen some few news articles about the Brazillian corruption and unrest but those dont go much in dept what undelying problems are.

Lodium: Norwegian Tipping
VanishedOne: And of course my mind goes straight to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping
Hah, good one
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Lodium
Looks kind of like that Amnesia Forthnight project from Double Fine from 2012. I think it was called the White Birch. Well, since nothing seems to have come out of that apparently I think I will give this one a try.
Vainamoinen: As vicklemos didn't tire to point out, it only just can be "interpreted as" coming from tax money. ;)

I'm quite tired of trying to explain this somehow peculiar case - so peculiar it's hard to avoid getting or even shoving it into the whole lost in translation shady landscape, that huge "tradutore traditore" deal - but brazilians were rightfully complaining about this game and stuff on the steam forums. Some were defending the whole concept, totally new to us, others were bashing it and some were completely outraged, since the sums are high, based on our standards.
Yup, threads were deleted, that's all I can add. Since maturity is something that place almost lacks (didn't know that), things got a little out of hand afaik. It's hard to even try to conceive a thick scenario for you guys, I know that, but living in a democratic (well some here try) country, watching huge scandals daily and keep things going in a precisely meek way pisses some of us off, especially when some non-sensical poopheads try to compare situations like these to serious and let's say universally way more "consolidated" ways of funding/donating or whatever.
Things are quite, should I add, "peculiar" around here. Try to study brazilians and our history for the past 15 years and eventually you'll figure something out.

Cheers!
Post edited May 06, 2015 by vicklemos
Lodium: The argument that you somehow support a shady goverment if you buy a game that is supported by a goverment grant is a weak one though.
Exactly. And no evidence of that happening has been shown here, only the statement of support as a given fact.

vicklemos: I'm quite tired of trying to explain this somehow peculiar case
You'll find guiding questions for an understandable explanation in post #29 of this thread.

I'm sorry that a possibly more in depth discussion on the Steam forum was deleted, but the deletion itself is no indication of any kind of corruption whatsoever. Pointing to arguments that were once there, but are now invisible and can somehow not be restated by those in possession of supposed truth, that is sincerely hard to accept.

I will have to disagree with the assessment of the gog community here, though. A community that doesn't respond to just about any (as of yet) unsubstantiated cry of 'corruption' in the game industry bears the sign of maturity, not the opposite.

I will keep my eyes open as to the claim made and the evidence presented elsewhere on the net. As of right now, there is nothing ideologically that would keep me from buying the game.