It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're barely even winded.

Today yet another awesome publisher, Paradox Interactive, becomes part of the most gamer-friendly DRM-free catalog around. We're kicking off the partnership with a weeklong 50% discount on four of the titles:

Europa Universalis
Hearts of Iron
Crusader Kings Complete -50%
Majesty Gold HD -50%
Majesty 2 Collection -50%
Victoria Complete -50%

If you've always wanted to give the genre a try, Europa Universalis is probably the best starting point, but we know grand strategy can be daunting. That's why you can also drop by our <span class="bold">Twitch.tv/gogcom</span> channel, where we'll be streaming the game live with Quill18, this Tuesday, February 17th, 7pm GMT / 2pm EST / 11am PST.
It's a fine way to get acquainted.

If you're a fan of complex strategy playgrounds, you can look forward to a trickle of more grand strategy classics from paragons of the genre, Paradox Interactive, coming to the coolest DRM-free game store near you!
Post edited February 17, 2015 by Konrad
What about newer titles, especially ones with Linux releases. Will any of those come?

Cavenagh: Getting these games wouldn't have anything to do with ''Pillars of Eternity' ^^
Pillars of Eternity is not owned by Paradox. They are only distribution partner. It's owned by Obsidian who developed the game.

entux: any chances we get the linux versions too?
It doesn't look like any of the initial titles have Linux versions. Some of their newer sequels do however.
Post edited February 18, 2015 by shmerl
ANd the hits just keep a coming....

I have Majesty HD on steam,but am happy to get it DRM free.
It's a great game, and the warped sense of humor that runs throughout the game one of the best things about it.
"I live only to serve your majesty"....

And in case you are wondering, Majesty HD is exactly the game as Majesty GOld except it has been adapted to run smoothly on modern computers.
Post edited February 18, 2015 by dudalb
entux: any chances we get the linux versions too?
ricki42: I was thinking the same. But considering they are Windows-only also on Steam, I doubt Linux (or Mac) versions exist, and porting those games likely isn't worth it. The games should run under wine though.
There are Mac versions of most of Paradox's games. but they are ported by virtual programming and GOG would likely need a seperate agreement with them to publish the mac versions.
For those of you hesistitating between Crusader Kings, and Europa Unversalis, a dirty little secret:They use the same core system. And a knowledge of the actual history involved will help you, parituclarly in Europa Universalis.

Glad to see from a comment from one of the GOG people that the music for EU has been fixed;. It has been broken for every Windows system beyond XP. Game plays OK but without music.
dudalb: For those of you hesistitating between Crusader Kings, and Europa Unversalis, a dirty little secret:They use the same core system. And a knowledge of the actual history involved will help you, parituclarly in Europa Universalis.

Glad to see from a comment from one of the GOG people that the music for EU has been fixed;. It has been broken for every Windows system beyond XP. Game plays OK but without music.
Helps in CK2 as well. If you know roughly when the Mongols are going to invade :D Not sure if CK1 has the Mongol hordes
Me: "Ugh, I need a break...You know, I should check out if GOG had another release today. I saw that Hand of Fate came out, which is pretty cool; I've heard good things about that game. I must admit, GOG has been releasing some pretty cool stuff these days. But I think there are supposed to be two releases today. I wonder what the second one could be..."

*sees Paradox titles at the top of the page*

Me: "=O! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dKnnUcNrwU"

Seriously, this was one of those announcements that made me fist pump with excitement. I had been waiting for Paradox to release its titles here for a very long time and I couldn't be more overjoyed. Though I'm not sure if they will release any of their currently Steam-only titles on the service (though, I won't lie, I really want to see CK2 here once they've stopped churning out expansions for it), even just having their (formerly) DRM-free offerings here will be great.

Having said that, as happy as I am about this, I probably won't pick up any of the games in this first batch aside from maybe Majesty. Not only am I currently strapped for cash, Paradox games are generally very iterative. As such, aside from historical curiosity, there isn't much point in picking up the first instalments of their series. The first HoI and Victoria in particular were awkward experiments and it wasn't until their respective sequels that those series came into their own. I never played the original Crusader Kings, but from what I've heard, even it was quite rough around the edges.

That said, I will definitely pick up the later titles in those series, assuming they are released here (which I sincerely hope they will be). I'm very interested in HoI II (though I hear Arsenal of Democracy/Darkest Hour are pretty much the definitive versions of that game), EU: Rome, Victoria II and CKII. I already have HoI III on disc, but I might buy it again here, since there was no English retail collection that included the "Their Finest Hour" expansion pack. Heck, I might even check out EU II/For The Glory if it comes here, since its more historical focus apparently makes it different enough to be worth checking out (I already have EU III: Chronicles).

In any case, this is a great moment for GOG. I must admit, you guys have been on a roll. Keep up the good work! =)
I don't think that the new titles of Paradox games will be released here soon because they have a lot of DLCs. Maybe when there is a Complete Edition and they are the way too expensive.

Nice releases anyway.
rtcvb32: Most of these games look very risk-like...
Risk is simplified bullshit when compared to Paradox's grand strategy games :D

In Hearts of Iron, I had to manage my country, build up the army and navy right up to details to each individual division and to what guns, speed, armaments infantry, tanks, ships were carrying. I had to monitor which country is aligning to which faction and what unique events were there to thwart or boost your current situation. You had to plan invasions and what units to use like Marines for amphibious landings, tanks for plains, combined arms and sorts. You had to plan naval and air coverage. In HOI3, you even had to plan how your troops invade and take supplies, as in manage their very food and ammo supply itself.

In Crusader Kings series, you manage a dynasty and a throne. Or you can start small as a Count and plot all the way to be a King or Emperor. You have to lookout for asshole people who might backstab you for profit and those people are often in your family. Uncles and nephews are particular assholes. Your own spymaster might turn against you and if you're not careful, you can lose days of gametime to an event during succession. So you plot and kill whoever that is against you, keep a safe throne with trustworthy people while you consolidate power and eventually expand your realm. You have to deal with religion and pleasing religious heads. Last thing you want is a Crusade or Jihad at your doorsteps. You have to deal with heresy.

In Europa Universalis, you manage a country. But unlike HOI, events can go in random ways. Build up your country, while consolidating your army and navy through numbers and research, colonise the New World, Africa and Asia. You have to be aware of rival nations that are against your expansion and they can easily form a coalition against you.
cw8: Risk is simplified bullshit when compared to Paradox's grand strategy games :D

In Hearts of Iron <snip>
In Crusader Kings series <snip>
In Europa Universalis <snip>
All very interesting... But somehow i don't think it's my cup of tea.

Hmmm last strategy game i played similar to this was probably Castles 2 (the demo).
Gandos: Paradox games are generally very iterative. As such, aside from historical curiosity, there isn't much point in picking up the first instalments of their series. The first HoI and Victoria in particular were awkward experiments and it wasn't until their respective sequels that those series came into their own. I never played the original Crusader Kings, but from what I've heard, even it was quite rough around the edges.
Vicky 1 is quite different from 2 and well worth looking into. This is generally the case for all the titles as they made the transition to the 3D Clausewitz engine, but in Vicky and EU it's more pronounced.
Finaly! I'm so glad GOG pull this one off, I do have CK2 and EU4 on Steam and because of the steamworks and MP I doubt it will see the light of day on GOG but still, releasing this oldies is really great first step to perhaps a better future.

Cheers!
Post edited February 18, 2015 by c01mhth10ch
cw8: In Hearts of Iron ...
In Crusader Kings ....
In Europa Universalis....
So what you're saying is that it's not not basically the same game just in the different setting?
Aargh, I should have waited. I own a majority of these games on Steam. I'll eventually pick these up in the coming weeks.
cw8: In Hearts of Iron ...
In Crusader Kings ....
In Europa Universalis....
tburger: So what you're saying is that it's not not basically the same game just in the different setting?
It's definitely not. At least for EU/CK. I'm fairly proficient in CK2, but was utterly lost when I tried EU4 a few month ago. Their grand strategy games have the same graphical engine, use similar maps, and it's possible to "convert" a save in some games to the next one of the same generation (for example, you can export your CK2 endgame map to produce a new starting situation in EU4. And I heard it's possible fore CK1 -->EU2 too), but they are very different in their gameplay.
Post edited February 18, 2015 by Kardwill
Kardwill: snip
Ok, thx

As I don't own any of Paradox'es games - it seems I have plenty of items to buy :-D