It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I support Linko. He did a pretty good job at the forum and I don't see anything wrong with that tweet - and even if there was anything wrong it was deleted right away. I don't really follow twitter but those folks at that acid pit of resetera can f* off away from the internet forever and not much would be missed.

Gog if he was indeed fired my suggestion is to hire him back right away. Do not throw your employees under the bus or you'll find yourself in the difficult position where the GOOD people would rather not work with you. Besides, you're displeasing your customer base to appease people that, not only are as toxic as their forum allows, also never gave you a single cent and never will (allowing for the rare outlier that is part of both communities).
Post edited October 30, 2018 by joppo
hedwards: This was an oversight on his part and really should never have been the case. There are rules about non-English being used in this forum. The poster in question used to post in actual English and generally has been posting tons of topics and making many posts with purposefully bad spelling and grammar.

While this is the English forum, it's not used exclusively by people who are native speakers. The purposefully terrible spellings result in a forum experience that's harder for everybody else to use.

Personally, I skip over those posts, but it seems unreasonable to tolerate that when the much easier to handle posts in other languages do get actively modded. I'd rather have non-English that's a foreign language in here as I can at least get a translation with minimal effort, whereas the purposefully bad spelling is really hard for those with learning disorders to deal with. It's not like it's just the occasional spelling or grammar error, it results in a very real load on other people in the forum.
kohlrak: Does that mean we can call him a nationalist then? Or a englishist?

Either way, that's not GOG's problem. It's not inflamitory, and having bad writing is akin to bad excuses for liking a terrible game: you aren't doing anything wrong, but you sure aren't winning anyone over.
The term you're looking for is trolling and yes, it's definitely something that GOG can do something about and ignoring it undermines GOG's efforts to moderate the forum.

And yes, I'm not winning this, but the degree to which people like you are having to engage in mental gymnastics to turn this into a non-issue is just plain silly. This isn't somebody who can't write passable English, this is somebody deliberately doing so all over the place.

The fact that you don't have an issue with it doesn't make it any less trollish.
joppo: He did a pretty good job at the forum and I don't see anything wrong with that tweet
I'd say, at a very minimum, it's a douche move to jump on the latest trending twitter hashtags without considering why these hashtags are trending to begin with. And yes, that movement does not have exclusive rights to any hashtag, but GOG also likely wouldn't have used it at all if it hadn't been trending. If you're going to make use of that, at a minimum you should consider the circumstances.
joppo: He did a pretty good job at the forum and I don't see anything wrong with that tweet
Pheace: I'd say, at a very minimum, it's a douche move to jump on the latest trending twitter hashtags without considering why these hashtags are trending to begin with. And yes, that movement does not have exclusive rights to any hashtag, but GOG also likely wouldn't have used it at all if it hadn't been trending. If you're going to make use of that, at a minimum you should consider the circumstances.
Fair enough, a minor offense then, that precious snowflakes in communities elsewhere will blow out of proportion. Ignoring them is the only reasonable reply.

The only winning move is not to play their game.
hedwards: This was an oversight on his part and really should never have been the case. There are rules about non-English being used in this forum. The poster in question used to post in actual English and generally has been posting tons of topics and making many posts with purposefully bad spelling and grammar.

While this is the English forum, it's not used exclusively by people who are native speakers. The purposefully terrible spellings result in a forum experience that's harder for everybody else to use.

Personally, I skip over those posts, but it seems unreasonable to tolerate that when the much easier to handle posts in other languages do get actively modded. I'd rather have non-English that's a foreign language in here as I can at least get a translation with minimal effort, whereas the purposefully bad spelling is really hard for those with learning disorders to deal with. It's not like it's just the occasional spelling or grammar error, it results in a very real load on other people in the forum.
FYI, the term already exist for a long time - Grammar Nazi. XD
hedwards: The term you're looking for is trolling and yes, it's definitely something that GOG can do something about and ignoring it undermines GOG's efforts to moderate the forum.
So, what exactly happened to Fairfox? I thought she just got tired of her "game". Was she driven away by some people?
Post edited October 30, 2018 by LootHunter
chandra: I can see that there is clearly still a need for a place to talk about the current events, as threads concerning this subject keep on popping up. While I do understand that, I would like to kindly remind you to mind our guidelines and stay civil. I really don't want to lock yet another thread, ...
Lifthrasil: ... so, instead of doing that you could, for example, clear up what actually happened. As others have pointed out, that would help. I don't know if you are legally bound to silence. If you are, a clear statement about that would show some communication as well. Something like "I would like to tell you more, but we're legally not allowed to comment."

If there is no legal reason to withhold information, however, it would be nice towards your customer community to reduce the need for speculation by just communicating with us. So, without further speculation, what exactly happened?
While I'm certain most of us would like some closure on this issue, it's very unlikely that gog will feel inclined to give us any. And it's easy to see why: no matter which way they go, they loose.

Scenario 1) gog publically announces that they will keep Linko. You can bet that this will get misconstrued as dismissing (if not downright advocating) transphobia, which will only serve to further poke the incestuous hornets' nest of holier-than-thou SJW crusaders, games journlolists (Say hello to the clickbait hitpiece articles!) and indie devs (Say goodbye to the games!).

Scenario 2) gog makes it publically known that they went all "Get your stuff, and get out. Too bad, so sad, bye-bye." on Linko at the first (well, second) sign of trouble. This would probably not sit well with a community that - by and large - seemed to appreciate Linko's efforts as a community manager.

Either way, they're fucked. Any kind of public statement will only dig the hole further and won't help anyone - Linko least of all.

Best scenario for him would be that gog keeps him on the payroll while keeping their mouths shut about it.

And if he indeed got fired... well...
At least he got waaay more sympathy than any of the other community managers that went before him (including T, who was gone before anyone really noticed), so that's a good sign. Unfortunately, sympathy alone won't put food on his table. Of course he could try to turn this sympathy into cash by setting up a Patreon or writing a book about how an internet hate mob ruined his life.

Whichever might be the case: Best of luck, Linko!
low rated
fronzelneekburm: Scenario 1) gog publically announces that they will keep Linko. You can bet that this will get misconstrued as dismissing (if not downright advocating) transphobia, which will only serve to further poke the incestuous hornets' nest of holier-than-thou SJW crusaders, games journlolists (Say hello to the clickbait hitpiece articles!) and indie devs (Say goodbye to the games!).
Actually, this scenario is not as bad as one might think. Not all developers are buyng "social justice" crap and I think there will be quite enough games left in the store. And later there will be more devs who will go to GOG because it doesn't bend to left-wing will.

The only problem is that GOG would have to stand firmly untill the end. And I'm not sure they have gusto to do it.
linko, linko, bo-binko

banana-fana fo-finko

fee-fi-mo-minko

linko!!
I think people here overestimate the significance of the active gog forum community. I'm pretty sure it accounts for a tiny percentage of gog's userbase, which explains their attitude towards the forum software and moderation here. It probably just isn't cost effective for them to spend resources on either.

If I'm not mistaken, handling the forums was just one part of Linko's job, but it wouldn't make sense to gog to have someone just for the forums exclusively. I guess forum moderation was any unfortunate bystander in a bigger social media kerfuffle.
low rated

Either way, that's not GOG's problem. It's not inflamitory, and having bad writing is akin to bad excuses for liking a terrible game: you aren't doing anything wrong, but you sure aren't winning anyone over.
hedwards: The term you're looking for is trolling and yes, it's definitely something that GOG can do something about and ignoring it undermines GOG's efforts to moderate the forum.

And yes, I'm not winning this, but the degree to which people like you are having to engage in mental gymnastics to turn this into a non-issue is just plain silly. This isn't somebody who can't write passable English, this is somebody deliberately doing so all over the place.

The fact that you don't have an issue with it doesn't make it any less trollish.
It's not mental gymnastics: if the person posts in gibberish or is encrypted, and i'm just not in the mood, the post my as well not have existed at all, as far as i'm concerned. I don't read it and move on. No one is obligated to read that garbage, and the few times i did read it, it hardly had anything important to say.

As for moderating it, the reasonable thing to do is let it go unchecked until a user reports something out of the convoluted mess.

LootHunter: FYI, the term already exist for a long time - Grammar Nazi. XD
Those were the enemy of fairfox. Vocabulary Communist? No, inconsistent, too. Clearly a part of the LSDCM+ (Lame, Silly, Disorganized, Cryptic, Mispelled, etc) community, so i'll go with the silly pride brigade.
babark: I think people here overestimate the significance of the active gog forum community. I'm pretty sure it accounts for a tiny percentage of gog's userbase, which explains their attitude towards the forum software and moderation here. It probably just isn't cost effective for them to spend resources on either.

If I'm not mistaken, handling the forums was just one part of Linko's job, but it wouldn't make sense to gog to have someone just for the forums exclusively. I guess forum moderation was any unfortunate bystander in a bigger social media kerfuffle.
I would assume so. Especially since Linko wasn't the first one and up until relatively recently there was practically no moderation, except in severe cases. Even insulting other forum goers often seemed to go unaddressed in the past.

I hope that whomever they find to replace him will continue to encourage more civility and hopefully be less hypocritical about the language standards. Either this is an English forum or it's not. Having people purposefully posting non-English in here should result in similar warnings regardless of whether it's a foreign language or a non-language. Even Pig Latin or Egg Latin, really shouldn't be on the forum.

kohlrak: It's not mental gymnastics: if the person posts in gibberish or is encrypted, and i'm just not in the mood, the post my as well not have existed at all, as far as i'm concerned. I don't read it and move on. No one is obligated to read that garbage, and the few times i did read it, it hardly had anything important to say.

As for moderating it, the reasonable thing to do is let it go unchecked until a user reports something out of the convoluted mess.
You absolutely are engaging in that. This isn't something that's as simple as just ignoring the posts, the poster in question made a large number of low quality topics and posts that had to be sifted through in order to know whether they were worth reading. Then there were the responses to those posts that might not be worth reading either as they're addressing something that wasn't worth responding to.

If GOG gave us the much requested ignore user feature, then I'm not sure anybody would really care about this. But, this isn't some poor person who doesn't know how to write English, when she first came here her English was a lot better to the point where it was mostly a non-issue.

GOG has rules against posting non-English in the English forum, and it was hypocritical to not enforce the rule for gibberish. If it were limited to a small number of game threads, I don't think it would be an issue. Game threads are frequently rather silly. But it was a cost that was imposed on everybody that comes into the forum.
Post edited October 31, 2018 by hedwards
low rated
fronzelneekburm: the incestuous hornets' nest of holier-than-thou SJW crusaders, games journlolists (Say hello to the clickbait hitpiece articles!) and indie devs (Say goodbye to the games!)
The only grammatically correct form is "holier than thee". Good luck with the English fanatics ripping you to shreds now. And with the AAA salvation that apparently only monopolies bring.
I can't believe Linko lost his job to appease the "The Gamers: Director's Cut" people.

Like, how many digital copies of that were moving off the store shelves?

Strange world.
low rated
hedwards: You absolutely are engaging in that. This isn't something that's as simple as just ignoring the posts, the poster in question made a large number of low quality topics and posts that had to be sifted through in order to know whether they were worth reading. Then there were the responses to those posts that might not be worth reading either as they're addressing something that wasn't worth responding to.

If GOG gave us the much requested ignore user feature, then I'm not sure anybody would really care about this. But, this isn't some poor person who doesn't know how to write English, when she first came here her English was a lot better to the point where it was mostly a non-issue.

GOG has rules against posting non-English in the English forum, and it was hypocritical to not enforce the rule for gibberish. If it were limited to a small number of game threads, I don't think it would be an issue. Game threads are frequently rather silly. But it was a cost that was imposed on everybody that comes into the forum.
Funny you call me out for mental gymnastics when you make a strawman argument. I'm well aware fairfox does that shit as a joke, and a terrible one at that. Farifox was not typing in gibberish: it actually had meaning, even if it wasn't all that quick. But where do you draw the line when banning someone for their english capabilities? How far is too far, and how do you qualify it? I understand you neither have to be a grammar nazi to criticize fairfox nor can resonably suspect to get banned for Muphry's Law, but where exactly can one draw the line and how can one even evaluate, objectively, how to classify a post that's even near the line?

But, hey, i saw how the "ignore user" feature works on other boards: Every once in a while someone will set someone up. Moreover, it only incentiizes making alts. And let's not forget the free speech side of things. Blocking in private messages is acceptable because of notifications and private harassment. Public communication, though, is another story, and i've learned my lesson there the hard way.
high rated
Vainamoinen: The only grammatically correct form is "holier than thee".
The form "holier-than-thou" is widely accepted as an English language term. https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/holier-than-thou
In comparison, "holier than thee" gets nil results.