It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

toxicTom: I really hope Linko #wontbeerased...

But I could imagine the account here was disabled because he was harassed here too (as CM, his chat was open to anyone). I hope he's just on short term leave until the thing has blown over and he and his family are safe from harassers and zealots.

I agree the forum climate improved when I he was around.
omega64: Oh yes, I've been back a bit more mostly due to him. His work was appreciated.
Same here, it got so tiresome dealing with the various trolls around here that GOG tolerated because they couldn't be bothered to have anybody moderating the forum.

I remember when GR had his smut hut thread and it took them more than one day to get to removing it. By the time they did get around to it, the only way of dealing with it was to just delete the entire thread.
hedwards: I remember when GR had his smut hut thread and it took them more than one day to get to removing it. By the time they did get around to it, the only way of dealing with it was to just delete the entire thread.
GR stays for Game Rager?
I heard the name a few times, though I wasn't able to see anything of his in person, as I joined the discussions way after they were gone (at least, I think).
It seems the stuff of legends.
Post edited October 28, 2018 by Enebias
hedwards: I remember when GR had his smut hut thread and it took them more than one day to get to removing it. By the time they did get around to it, the only way of dealing with it was to just delete the entire thread.
Enebias: GR stays for Game Rager?
I heard the name a few times, though I wasn't able to see anything of his in person, as I joined the discussions way after they were gone (at least, I think).
It seems the stuff of legends.
Yes indeed. I forget when he left, I think it was probably during my hiatus from the forum.

It was pretty annoying for a while, the less trollish the things I posted were, the more upset people got by them.
i_hope_you_rot: Why do Gog need Twitter anyway ? ( why can't they use Mastodon instead ? )
I'm only aware of Mastadon via F-Droid, and that's probably why they don't.
low rated
kohlrak: I think that's an even stronger argument for why doxxing is wrong, really.
Possibly. But I see the term itself as unclear. If I interpret it as "rendering public the true identity of an anonymous personality", then I can point out real and theoretical contexts where it's legitimate, and making a blanket statement against it would make me ill at ease. If we define it as illegitimate cases, then okay, but for the definition to not be circulary, it requires precise criteria (motives, boundaries, etc) to distinguish it from legitimate identity outing.

If we roughly define doxxing as lifting anonymity beyond the situations deemed acceptable by journalitic codes of good practice, then of course, it's by definition inacceptable. But if the term stays vague, then it can be co-opted to denounce journalistic good practice. I prefer emitting judgements on precisely described acts in precise contexts, than on trendy neologisms.

Likewise, I'm an against killing, capital punishment, and militarism. But I find it philosophically dangerous to trust an absolute on that, given the diversity of exemples or thought experiences that may be hurled at it. Same goes with lying (Kantian imperatives undermined by consequentialism), etc...

I just don't deal well with generalities. In general. And when a crowd (any crowd) pushes to endorse them or be deemed a traitor, I tend to exit it.

kohlrak: However, society functions on the basis that we trust the law, or at least we trust it enough not to revolt against it and commit to vigilantism, which is a softer insurrection.
Basically true, but there again, I could shower you with exemples of perfectly justified civil disobedience. And I don't think that anyone (whatever the political stance) would contest all of them.
Post edited October 28, 2018 by Telika
Short post to say that if Linko has left forum moderation that will be a big loss for us as I believe he / she (don't really and don't really care) did a great job to bring back a little pocket of civism in these places.
I'm never around enough to see or bother trying to understand all these events, but from what I saw Linko seemed like a decent person who did a good job. I think it might help GOG to keep a community manager for more than a few months. Seems like yesterday that Linko arrived (No actually it was 5 months).
Post edited October 28, 2018 by DOWL
Edit: After calming down a bit, I've thought better about some of the words I were going to say that were, to say the least, going to be unkind. Suffice it to say that I agree with every single post omega64 has made in this thread so far, and I've got a bone to pick with the OP that I'll be taking up with him in private.
Post edited October 28, 2018 by zeogold
low rated
zeogold: Edit: After calming down a bit, I've thought better about some of the words I were going to say that were, to say the least, going to be unkind. Suffice it to say that I agree with every single post omega64 has made in this thread so far, and I've got a bone to pick with the OP that I'll be taking up with him in private.
Oooooooeeee,zeogold has a bone pick.*shakes like a leaf,in fear*
Just wanted to add my support for Linko. Hopefully whom ever Linko90 is will be back soon telling us all to keep it in check soon.

Edit: Also Linko still owes me karoke. :P
Post edited October 29, 2018 by Pond86
high rated
I'll add this as a new post. So I asked a transsexual I know if they have issues with what GOG posted, they said no and that they arn't really bothered by it.

They also wanted me to add "If you hate or want to hurt someone for doing something which doesnt hurt anyone else and not letting people be themselves, then you're just part of the problem."

Obviously I shant share their name as they are a close friend, but just thought i'd add that.
low rated
Pond86: I'll add this as a new post. So I asked a transsexual I know if they have issues with what GOG posted, they said no and that they arn't really bothered by it.

They also wanted me to add "If you hate or want to hurt someone for doing something which doesnt hurt anyone else and not letting people be themselves, then you're just part of the problem."

Obviously I shant share their name as they are a close friend, but just thought i'd add that.
That's because you lied to her face, and told her the movement the shitty and correctly-fired Gamergater mocked was a pro-Trump movement, instead of a reaction to the tyrant ordering the Department of Education to pretend that trans identities aren't real.

You owe her an apology.
Imban: That's because you lied to her face, and told her the movement the shitty and correctly-fired Gamergater mocked was a pro-Trump movement, instead of a reaction to the tyrant ordering the Department of Education to pretend that trans identities aren't real.

You owe her an apology.
I didn't lie to her face.

Shes just not so much of an ass like most people are online. Also your going to compare two unrealted issues together?

GamerGate was about sexual harrasment in the workplace. WountBeErased is about Transsexual rights in general and not just in the workplace.
kohlrak: I think that's an even stronger argument for why doxxing is wrong, really.
Telika: Possibly. But I see the term itself as unclear. If I interpret it as "rendering public the true identity of an anonymous personality", then I can point out real and theoretical contexts where it's legitimate, and making a blanket statement against it would make me ill at ease. If we define it as illegitimate cases, then okay, but for the definition to not be circulary, it requires precise criteria (motives, boundaries, etc) to distinguish it from legitimate identity outing.

If we roughly define doxxing as lifting anonymity beyond the situations deemed acceptable by journalitic codes of good practice, then of course, it's by definition inacceptable. But if the term stays vague, then it can be co-opted to denounce journalistic good practice. I prefer emitting judgements on precisely described acts in precise contexts, than on trendy neologisms.
That's all fine and dandy, except society largely doesn't trust the mainstream media, whether it's commentary on a scientific study or commentary on an event. Even the most apolitical people can identify that when the media on one week tells you not to eat eggs, 'cause it's bad for your cholesterol, but the next week they mention a study that suggests that eggs lower your cholesterol, then return to saying it's bad for your cholesterol, that they're absolutely full of it. Everyone knows and understands that reports of national disasters are overblown. Frankly, as little as people trust the government, they trust the media even less, which is a really bad position for the media to be in, and largely why this journalistic code of good practice/journalistic code of ethics is thrown out the window in favor of internet sensationalist news: it's unfortunately more believable to alot of people, even when it's absolutely made up. And we've all heard the stories of the media taking bribes to support a certain political cause.

Forbes condemns using "special interest" as arguments

Also the media on special interest

I don't think i really trust the media after that.
Likewise, I'm an against killing, capital punishment, and militarism. But I find it philosophically dangerous to trust an absolute on that, given the diversity of exemples or thought experiences that may be hurled at it. Same goes with lying (Kantian imperatives undermined by consequentialism), etc...

I just don't deal well with generalities. In general. And when a crowd (any crowd) pushes to endorse them or be deemed a traitor, I tend to exit it.
I understand the hesitation to take absolutes, as then you won't be able to put them back on the table if we finally find a case where it is legitimate. However, that's the point of free speech: In the event that we find out a previous stance was incorrect, you have the right to denounce yourself on why you were wrong. On the same token as taking something off the table when you might later find a legitimate reason, failing to take something off the table that should be allows people (and ultimately yourself) justified in using it or supporting it under extreme emotion to support something that you would end up later condemning (or at least silently wishing you had). I don't know the details of post 129 of this thread, but i would imagine something like an absolute stance would've been useful.
kohlrak: However, society functions on the basis that we trust the law, or at least we trust it enough not to revolt against it and commit to vigilantism, which is a softer insurrection.
Basically true, but there again, I could shower you with exemples of perfectly justified civil disobedience. And I don't think that anyone (whatever the political stance) would contest all of them.
I can think of a few examples, as well, but these were insurrection and no one would deny it, and that was the point: challenge the government and force them to make a choice whether or not they would enforce unjust laws that society disagreed with. These were at times when society, because of changing opinions on the laws, did not trust the rule of law to be fair (african-american rights movements in the US prior to, and including, the 1960s are a classic example). The notable point of separation from doxxing, however, is that the state was the target offended upon, because it's the state's job to change to meet society's expectations, not an individual's.
low rated
Pond86: WountBeErased is about Transsexual rights in general and not just in the workplace.
Indeed. Well, as long as you're acknowledging that WontBeErased is pro-transgender rights, I'm not quite as buttmad as I was a few minutes ago.
Post edited October 29, 2018 by Imban