It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
I guess I'll start downloading my installers before they become adware.
high rated
The moment Galaxy becomes mandatory or GOG categorically treats non-client users as second class, there's no point for GOG to exist for me anymore.
If I'd want something like that, Steam would be the better choice.
fables22: Starting on Friday, we’re going to include the option to install the GOG Galaxy client from the offline installers downloaded via GOG.com in over 100 games.
DoctorGOGgles: Starting on Friday I will have to stop buying new games on GOG, because I don't want my backed up offline installers to include a pre-selected option to install the "optional" Galaxy client. After almost 1500 games my library seems to have reached its final size. Thank you for disgruntling your most loyal customers with your *#$@ marketing and PR stunts lately!
This.
Post edited May 09, 2017 by Klumpen0815
high rated
BKGaming: [...] Galaxy is around 100 -150 MB and with compression may even end up being a lot smaller in the installer. In the grand scheme of things it's not a lot of data.
Doesn't bother me too much, but some of the hoarders...oops, "collectors" around here could still see a huge amount of extra space eaten up. Shit adds up.

BKGaming: While I tend to agree downloading during install then unpacking would better, not everyone has internet when they install a standalone installer and GOG is probably including it for those users..
If you don't have Internet access when you're installing a game, and you didn't already have Galaxy installed, what would be the point of installing Galaxy offline? Especially when they promote Galaxy pretty heavily elsewhere (including the library pages). It's not like it would be hard for someone with an interest in the thing to download it later and import their game.
I'm with Themken: the better idea is just to bundle a downloader for Galaxy -- or, better yet, just have the first screen of the installer be a blurb about GOG Galaxy with a link to download it. This is just seems like the bigwigs making unnecessary work for their staff, while pissing off the client-hating customers in the process.
high rated
Seems to be that is that then. There is only one option left, vote with my wallet. Not buying anything further from here, nor downloading any further files from the site. Very sad state of affairs.
HunchBluntley: Doesn't bother me too much, but some of the hoarders...oops, "collectors" around here could still see a huge amount of extra space eaten up. Shit adds up.
True, but meh I can see both sides to it.

HunchBluntley: If you don't have Internet access when you're installing a game, and you didn't already have Galaxy installed, what would be the point of installing Galaxy offline?
To have it already set up and ready to go when you do connect online? Some people install games while traveling or download them at place A then install at place B. I use to do this all of the time... but I don't disagree that the other options like just having download when the box is checked then unpacked would work too, and would keep the installers from becoming bloated.
Post edited May 09, 2017 by BKGaming
nightcraw1er.488: Seems to be that is that then. There is only one option left, vote with my wallet. Not buying anything further from here, nor downloading any further files from the site. Very sad state of affairs.
I am afraid, that we are such a small minority they will not notice. Although I understand it as a personal stance.
Post edited May 09, 2017 by animalmother2105
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: Seems to be that is that then. There is only one option left, vote with my wallet. Not buying anything further from here, nor downloading any further files from the site. Very sad state of affairs.
animalmother2105: I am afraid, that we are such a small minority they will not notice.
GOG thinks it's a big player now and starts playing the same dirty tricks disregarding how much of their success was actually community support, how big of a competition they'll always have with Steam and how they might actually need nieche people like us since we are what GOG was initially made for and how it survived, right?
Something else just occurred to me, what about noobs?

Some poor guy hears about GOG, classic games, no DRM, so he comes in, signs up, buys a copy of Commandos or something. He doesn't know he needs to be on the lookout for boxes to uncheck. So what happens, he winds up with this Malware all over his computer.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by fables22
high rated
Just my personal view, the first time I see an install Galaxy check box in a downloaded install exe . . that will be the last game I buy from GOG.

I'm actually tired of hearing about the client and I never want it included in setup.exe.

I deleted a galaxy.dll from an install directory a few weeks ago and the game would no longer run. Might not be the case but restoring the file allowed the game to run. I don't have Galaxy installed so why do I have the galaxy.dll? Your mileage may differ. I would use steam if I wanted a client involved with my game purchases.
tinyE: So what happens, he winds up with this fucking Malware all over his computer.
You clearly need to learn what malware is... that is what happens. :P
high rated
Whoo, boy. I would not want your job right now, having to be the bearer of news like that.

Is GOG just TRYING to lose customers, now? I mean, I get that we in the forum tend to be overly-averse to Galaxy and that it's probably used/loved by a majority of GOG's customers or whatever, but what kind of bullcrap pushing is this? Do y'all really think that people, after voluntarily passing up that big blue "TRY GOG GALAXY" button, somehow still want Galaxy and were just too stupid to see it?

This is, at worst, thinly-disguised bloatware, and, at best, an insult to the customers. If this seriously goes through, expect a huge dip in sales from not only us forum members, but, more importantly, the rest of the people who buy from here who'd just rather use Steam instead if you're just going to shove a client down their throats.

This decision, in a nutshell is "You, who are buying from us, don't really know what you want, but it's ok, because we do!", which is just frightening.
high rated
Reminds me to Microsoft and Windows 10...
animalmother2105: I am afraid, that we are such a small minority they will not notice.
Klumpen0815: GOG thinks it's a big player now and starts playing the same dirty tricks disregarding how much of their success was actually community support, how big of a competition they'll always have with Steam and how they might actually need nieche people like us since we are what GOG was initially made for and how it survived, right?
I wish you are right about the nieche people.
tinyE: So what happens, he winds up with this fucking Malware all over his computer.
BKGaming: You clearly need to learn what malware is... that is what happens. :P
I know what it is, I was just using the term for effect. :P
high rated
Definitely not a fan of this. I don't want Galaxy included in the installers, and I also don't like having it install by default. I hate installers that try to add something extra to my computer without my permission, and this is no exception.

I don't hate Galaxy for existing. I'm glad it exists, I think it's necessary both for GOG's growth and to bring in features that would otherwise remain Steam-exclusive. I've always believed GOG when they've said it will be optional, and I still do. However, the push for it is getting too aggressive, and it's making GOG look bad.

It's also bringing up more doubt about how optional Galaxy will actually remain as time goes on. Sure, I still don't have to install it, but now downloading the files is mandatory. This change makes Galaxy a little less optional than it used to be. It's a small step in a very bad direction.