It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Checked-in. Read. Still haven't re-read Wyrm. Now want to re-read trent as well. Sushi is completely off my radar.

Apparently not alone, but several things/people on my radar already, and just got a "narrative update" that was more muddying than clarifying.

Question for Ix now that he's here: You popped in at 440 noting you didn't intend to actually read the thread. Roughly 1 hour later you posted (444) yada yada and voted No Lynch.

What, pray tell, did you read of the existing thread, and how much did you stop and process between reading and voting?

Can't say I reject your conclusion out of hand, but the timing and process seems...curious.
Please elaborate how you used that hour, exactly.
It seems I got a narrative update as well. I guess the positive side to this is I'm getting in better shape having to walk to the community hall every day, other that that my update was me going about my daily routine as normal.

I also see Ix has shown up and his commitment level still seems very lackluster "Sorry I'm late, don't want to read what's happened so far but let's vote no lynch". Probably would have removed my vote from him if he had actually came to participate fully so he could have a chance to catch up, but I'm good with where my vote is after his entrance.
trentonlf: It seems I got a narrative update as well. I guess the positive side to this is I'm getting in better shape having to walk to the community hall every day, other that that my update was me going about my daily routine as normal.

I also see Ix has shown up and his commitment level still seems very lackluster "Sorry I'm late, don't want to read what's happened so far but let's vote no lynch". Probably would have removed my vote from him if he had actually came to participate fully so he could have a chance to catch up, but I'm good with where my vote is after his entrance.
Funny, I'd been a bit worried about your vote staying on him (had started to wonder if this was you, or you trying to look like you), but I agree his entrance doesn't look good. Possibly even looks quite bad if I apply what looks like Occam's Razor to me.

Waiting for him to have a fabulous explanation.

In the meanwhile, have two people to re-read, one person to figure out what if anything he's posted, and trying to capture one piece of data.

Glad your narrative was positive, though. I'm apparently free to ask for clarification on my PM if I have specific questions, but honestly I can't make enough sense of it yet to do that. My general orientation questions were rejected, though Drealmer did point me back to the OP which I guess I need to re-read again.
bler144: Please elaborate how you used that hour, exactly.
Sure thing. I spent the time reading over the thread to get a sense of where I thought the game was and what I thought might be going on. I dropped the bit about being inattentive / not reading to see who would jump on the low hanging fruit.

What I gathered is basic stuff I'm sure everyone's already figured out. The obvious, we have a lot of people in game and a narrative lack of reason to "do" anything just yet. We're early in a game with a lot of people, and there aren't likely to be any solid slip ups or good reads, just a bunch of random "ah ha, gotcha!" moments that really amount to very little.

But the important stuff (at least to me) is that the game seems like it's going to have a heavy focus on discovery and narrative. Given that we have so many people in game, and that "wagons" at this point are basically useless (if we can even get a "wagon" in a 17 person game) I think we have time to waste.

Also given that there are so many people, and that the game has an unusual set up, I'm guessing there are going to be a ton of weird roles, a bevy of scum AND in injection of new players (I find them all scummy, but I'm guessing that's more a factor of a community playstyle developed elsewhere, with different norms).

SO, my final conclusion - is that it was worth (and fit in the narrative) "wasting" a Day One wagon that would most likely be useless, to explore the narrative and mechanical implications of a No Lynch.

There are 17 players, this is a long haul game and it has a focus on narrative, exploration and discovery. Can't think of a better time to push the limits of that.
trentonlf: It seems I got a narrative update as well. I guess the positive side to this is I'm getting in better shape having to walk to the community hall every day, other that that my update was me going about my daily routine as normal.
Huh. I didn't get anything new.
bler144: Please elaborate how you used that hour, exactly.
Ixamyakxim: Sure thing. I spent the time reading over the thread to get a sense of where I thought the game was and what I thought might be going on. I dropped the bit about being inattentive / not reading to see who would jump on the low hanging fruit.
To clarify, by "spent the time" you're talking about the interim between your initial post and your second post?

And further, are you saying you read the whole thread? If not, whom precisely did you ISO? How much time did you spend on Drealmer's posts/OP and your character PM?
Brasas: Do you know Krypsyn?
I know only his reputation.

heh.

Ix moderately town, I think?
trentonlf: What I really dislike is making lists of who I feel is scum and why. Do I have a list of people I feel I need to keep an eye on to see how they behave and interact, absolutely. Do I want to share that list with everyone, absolutely not. If everyone starts posting lists of who they feel is scum and why and scum are on several of their lists all it does is give them a chance to modify what they are doing wrong without feeling the pressure, and pressure is where scum will slip up.

I am a big proponent of voting, everyone by now should have a vote on who they feel is the scummiest. If you are not voting then you are not using the strongest power town has. Just imagine if everyone actually put a vote out there and we discussed the reasons behind them instead of people hem hawing around and waiting for someone else to place a vote. The only way town wins is working together and discussing the situation.

As of this moment the biggest problem I have is Ix not showing up and participating. Everyone should know that signing up for a mafia game means investing a lot of time and effort, and not even showing up for the start is disrespectful to everyone else playing and to the mods of the game. It could end up Ix had some real life issues pop up that prevented him from starting, and I hope all is well with him. Whatever the issue is the mods will resolve it, but I'm leaving my vote there unless something else pops up that I feel deserves my vote.
Re-read trent. Other than #226 seeming a little over-explainy in his approach to Nacho, his posts consistently feel like legit-trent to me. Which doesn't make him definitively town, but I'm moving him to neutral, maybe just a touch town-leaning.

Hadn't liked him remaining camped on Ix on first pass since it seemed a bit like an excuse to not move his vote elsewhere, but re-reading the whole bundle, I'm inclined to buy it.
Brasas: Do you know Krypsyn?
Stanari: I know only his reputation.

heh.

Ix moderately town, I think?
Interesting. Did one of your teammates mention Krypsyn in your QT thread?

More to the point, I'm going completely the other way on Ix. He's misrepresenting if not outright lying about something. The only question is why.

Was wondering if I was being too suspicious - the gog timestamp isn't precise after all. So I took a closer look, and it actually looks much worse up close.

So, the gog forum software is funky. It shows "rounded" time. Now, for the newcomers, it also ticks from 1 hour to 2 at 90 minutes rather than 120 (and from 1 day to 2 at 36 hours), but here I'm comparing times, so the shift is moot for comparing the time between two posts <24 hours since both are equally shifted.

Would've liked to see Ix's follow-up response first, but thought his first response was a bit evasive:

Q. "Please elaborate how you used that hour, exactly."
A. "Spent the time reading over the thread"

Yeah, that's pretty much the opposite of exact.

Mostly want to post this data in time just in case anyone else wants to verify it. And past 24 hours you can't.

:44 same
:50 same
:55 same
:03 same
:05 different
:10 different
:12 different, drealmer ticks over
:20 different
:23 different
:24 different, agent ticks over
:27 different
:32 different
:38 same

This is comparing the timestamp on post 440 vs. 444 at :mm of the clock (7:38 PM pacific, e.g.). I decided to look at it initially because I thought maybe I was being unfair - maybe the "hour" difference was more like 90 minutes. Still brief, but moderately believable.

But what the above shows is that post 440 and 440 were somewhere between 28 and 35 minutes apart.

Now I really want to know how he gets from what he says in his first post to the conclusion of his 2nd in that fairly slim time.

And, fairly or no, Drealmer's post (#402) also has me curious. Yogs made a good joke about how you punish a guy dead in a ditch, but more importantly the fundamental point was right, imo. You don't punish someone who hasn't shown up yet.

Ix is either lying about/hiding what he did prior to making his first post, and/or about what he did between posts. My guess is both.

Vote Emma Hess
Still need to re-read Wyrm, but going to bed.

Did re-read Sushi and it was quickly apparent why I had no memory of him - 3 posts where the only contribution was an RVS vote and noting he'd be around on the weekend. Pretty sure that comes around in a few more days.

This game is going to be a challenge for me because I remember like nobody's full name. Is it yogsloth72? I'm seriously having to look up to confirm even basic shit of people I've played with for a year. So...in that vein, forgot to do something important.

Unvote cristigale
Vote Emma Hess

My original vote for cristi was chided by the mod for failing to use her full name, and in my vote for Ix I forgot to unvote first. I'm seriously crushing basic game mechanics so far.
bler144: Mostly want to post this data in time just in case anyone else wants to verify it. And past 24 hours you can't.

:44 same
:50 same
:55 same
:03 same
:05 different
:10 different
:12 different, drealmer ticks over
:20 different
:23 different
:24 different, agent ticks over
:27 different
:32 different
:38 same

This is comparing the timestamp on post 440 vs. 444 at :mm of the clock (7:38 PM pacific, e.g.). I decided to look at it initially because I thought maybe I was being unfair - maybe the "hour" difference was more like 90 minutes. Still brief, but moderately believable.

But what the above shows is that post 440 and 440 were somewhere between 28 and 35 minutes apart.

Now I really want to know how he gets from what he says in his first post to the conclusion of his 2nd in that fairly slim time.
I didn't follow the time stamps listed above. What do the 'same' and 'different' mean? Which time stamps represent Ixam's first post and his vote post? What does the 'ticks over' mean? I feel dense....

@Ixam - glad you're OK, now I have no qualms placing a vote on you if warranted ;-)

Still need to check on agent's town game. Saturday was too nice of a day to be inside.
bler144: snip
Pity I didn't catch you early enough.

First, I suggest you just keep using the RP names. I included them in the RP cheat sheet for that. Maybe time for a refresh on that... Should be less needed as we go on and things become clearer.

Then, because you have been instrumental in my noticing (really noticing I mean, I had read the OP, but well...) some mechanics on the phases / lynch being disconnected. I'd like you particularly to comment explicitly on the game's tension re: no lynch / flavor / exploration / events. I apologise if you have already. And I see you voting so I do see where you are putting your money, just I'd like more blah blah from you on this at this point.

Also, just decided to open a Word to make notes. Handwritten aren't cutting it. And it's only mid D1... 2 weeks since werewolf banket, two more until the next full moon presumably.

Also, am I sounding like a Drealmer sock or what? I'm worrying 0_o

That said, read Wyrm yes please. I have been thinking about Wyrm myself.

bler144: You don't punish someone who hasn't shown up yet.
Of course Drealmer does. I'm pretty sure he was explicit he would not discuss penalties. But also pretty sure he stated he would prod / penalize people on participation expectations somewhere.

The rest I kind of like, but I am afraid you're making a mountain out of molehills. I mean Ix pretty much came out of the gate banging on No Lynch. I don't see scum Ix doubling down on his sins like that. That said, I don't really know how scum Ix plays. He always struck me as scummy for how little he posts, but that seems to be his style - hit and run and incisive.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't forget the forest for the trees?

Stanari: snip
Maybe. Too early to tell. I think I agree with Bler there is something under the surface, just that something could be a genuine derp - embarassed was not paying attention and arrived late. I also think wolves might be emboldened by the wagons lack thereof and make risky plays? And Ix struck me as the kind of cool headed player (a la Cristi and Trent - but posting much less) that would be able to pull something like that off.

Ixamyakxim: snip
Hi Emma. Who are you? Do you have any silver we can melt?

Ix, what I want from you is a reads list. Do the homework. For Oakwood Village.
This is not a cult game.

I'd also like to say that this is a "normal" game, but, I am not an expert enough to say (I'll grant, I don't know much about "normal" in regards to much!) for certain that some bit of what I've got going on isn't "bastard" - I don't think it is, but, don't hold me to it.

I love you all.
Post edited September 11, 2016 by drealmer7
NOTE :

Day1 has much more lenient post-frequency guidelines than future Days will have.
Post edited September 11, 2016 by drealmer7
Cast of characters:
v3.0 the jokes are back... well kinda...

Laura (docbear) is a veterinarian
Adam (Agent) is a carpenter, here since the founding, bearded
Bill (Quadr) is a city guy finding his way
Craig (Wyrm) grew up here, is a mason and knows the trails
Fergie (Nacho) is a farmer, potatoes and corn apparently?
Nathan (Dess) is the town smith and a founder
Eric (Yog) is the bootlegger's brother and the prodigal son of sorts, keeps dogs... eats too many plums?
Emily (Trent) is Yog's mum. Too old to move away. Getting in shape from walking daily. Really likes the letter E? (Eric, Earl and Ed)
Marie (Bler) is something herbs, strawberry and a misterious Howard and pigs. Also bi...
Dan (Brasas) the melancholy horse keeper.
PS: Romantic. Sensitive. Paranoid. Rides hard. Searching for a soulmate.
Sean'O (Lift) is the cattle farmer
Claire (Cristi) mainly cooks
Sarah (Tammy) is an adopted villager, used to be homeless, does not remember why, outdoorsy
Justin (Stanari) the butcher, cures meats.
Jay (SirFox) woodcutter, currently has an injured hand

I think only missing two:
Emma (Ix)
Jim (Sushi)

I also collected some notes on the setting. I am convinced the lynch mechanics are as follows. If we reach a player maj (no lynch maj doesn't trigger diddly squat), we shift phase. We then have those phases about attack / defense and after some other trigger I have no clue we get the last phase for votes only almost. I assume at any point we can change the votes so that no lynch, or another lynch than the previous maj actually takes place. At which point, one of two things happen - either we fast forward via flavor to the next full moon and get the scum / PR game "night". OR we keep posting and said game night is on a strict timer. In which case we maybe could get more than one lynch during a game day.

It's kind of unusual, but it makes sense of all the pieces of flavor I think. Let's see I guess...

Overall I'm more and more listening to my brain on lynching for flips. But wondering if there's a mislynch that maybe helps town more than others. Because chance of mislynch is just huge right now... and that might be a way to cut that gordian knot of indecision. I mean, I am dismayed that the leading wagons are the one I started on Bill, the one Yogs started (by penalty mind you) on Justin, and the one Stanari's got on Eric. Not that they're much of wagons, more like a horse pulling a single cart to Nashua each...

I'll keep making notes to the Word doc now. Waiting for most of you across the pond to wake up I guess.