It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dray2k: While not start a crowdfund to fund another platform that goes back to the roots like GOG once did? The bigger it gets, the more people may donate. If tens of thousand names are attached to the brand then you have a true "by gamers, for gamers" slogan that has a lot of gravitas behind it because of how it is funded.

The problem is that the new company may snowball into something bigger than intended and the circle may repeat anew but it may still be worth a try if people on here actually act.
Or people could shop at other DRM-free stores like Fireflower and Zoom Platform, and help them grow. The cycle never ends though, "what goes around comes around" :P
low rated
Arundir: I wrote a comment after reading the first paragraph which was provoking, altered it after having read the next paragraph. I guess my first unaltered comment was the reason for his answer. Dray2k and me resolved it in chat, all is dandy.
Glad you guys worked it out, thank you.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
StarChan: How interesting. Now you actually seem to be moderating. Because elsewhere in this thread, you come across as an instigator, an opinion pusher, and a troll.

Or is it .. revenge?
GameN16bit: If you think I've somehow broken the rules, you are more then welcome to take it up with GOG... I however, don't believe I have. I am entitled to have an opinion, even if that opinion is "your view on this issue is total nonsense". But to each their own.
Self-moderation is a virtue, I hear.
low rated
StarChan: Self-moderation is a virtue, I hear.
Are you done? Or you going to keep to keep trying to bate me? Self-reflection is also a virtue.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
StarChan: Self-moderation is a virtue, I hear.
GameN16bit: Are you done? Or you going to keep to keep trying to bate me? Self-reflection is also a virtue.
Indeed.
low rated
GameN16bit: Are you done? Or you going to keep to keep trying to bate me? Self-reflection is also a virtue.
StarChan: Indeed.
I'm perfectly okay with my reflection, thanks... Sorry I didn't toe the line to your satisfaction. I didn't realize I was seeking your approval. Good night.

------

post your thread theme songs ;)
tfishell: post your thread theme songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fEvsNLdEa0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPUzxMnmhkQ
high rated
This is all stemmed from cancerous capitalistic concept "growth". If you're not getting bigger constantly every year, you're doing it wrong. If you're not acquiring more users exponentially every year, you're doing it wrong. If this year's profit doesn't increase much more than last year's increase, you're doing it wrong. In the end "growth" becomes a goal into itself, forgetting that it really just a mean to reach a higher goal (i.e. normalize DRM-free gaming for the masses).
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Catshade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNo0cGi1xZU
StingingVelvet: As long as you can use the website to purchase and download DRM free offline installers though, that's the essential thing IMO. Galaxy being optional makes all the Galaxy concerns a lot of noise without form, for the moment. Though I agree there is more and more reason to express concern about possible changes to that.
The problem is that literally every time CDP so much as farts the wrong way (which they do often, to be fair), there's SO MUCH doom and gloom. By the logic of the crazies, GOG should have abandoned DRM-Free at least four times in as many years.

The problem is that there's no logical reason for them to do so. They're not going to be able to throw the amount of money that Epic does to get games, and they're never going to match the near-ubiquitous nature of Steam. They can't even get by selling Steam keys because a million other sites do that too, with Humble Bundle being the huge one (legitimate one, at least - we don't talk about G2A). They ditch DRM-Free, they may as well close the site down, and the fact it's still listed on the front page, they STILL haven't made Galaxy mandatory, and there still isn't a single game on GOG that's DRMed (including their megahit Witcher titles!).

They've committed to Cyberpunk 2077 being DRM-Free for God's sake. If anything was going to make them budge, it was that massive title.

Honestly, the only real problem here is that GOG isn't really great at PR. That and CDPR needs to decouple Galaxy from GOG, as the apparent link between a single store and their attempt at "one client to rule them all" is often at the root of these teapot tempests.
high rated
Breja: There's so many people they could have teamed up with.

Instead the most GOG ever did to work with youtubers is make some seemingly random lists of games with their names on it during sales. Whoop-dee-shit.
Yeah no kidding, Youtubers like LGR and Ross Scott would positively jump at the opportunity to support and bring more visibility to GOG.

But nah, lets expand by getting in bed with a company who's become a poster boy for sleazy, underhanded, anti-consumer, anti-competitive business tactics who is in part owned by an even sleazier company. BEST IDEA.

As for them turning on FCKDRM, there has to have been some management shakeups behind the scenes in the last year, maybe some high up(s) have been trying to subvert the direction of the company for some time now, maybe staff has changed around enough that someone finally managed to get their way.

GameN16bit: I'm perfectly okay with my reflection, thanks
That's because you are as willfully naive as you are conceited and arrogant. It doesn't matter that you're unpaid, you are still working for a professional business and as such you are supposed to act with tact and decorum, instead you are rude, antagonistic and patronizing, you do not deserve to be a moderator.

Unless of course you actually are representative of the current GOG management, and if that's the case, good lord are we in trouble.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by ReynardFox
kmanitou: Maybe it will take mandatory patches on Galaxy to break a few games before it's all obvious.
GameN16bit: There is a disable update feature. Galaxy does not force updates like Steam... just sayin.
Steam used to have not mandatory updates, just like you advertised it with GOG Galaxy.

Enforcing mandatory updates is just the next step.
high rated
SpikedWallMan: there are also alternatives like Playnite/Launchbox which do the basically the same thing as Galaxy 2.0
GameN16bit: Sure, but they are not funded by a major corporation like Galaxy is. They also don't have the support of official integrations by platform holders like Galaxy does. Hence, why Galaxy will be far better and better integrated in the long run and likey offer for more features. That is the key difference.
The Steam integration of GOG Galaxy is also not offical, unsupported, buggy as hell if you own more than a handful of games there and is NOT shipped with. The irony of this is that does not GOG Galaxy stop themselves to advertise Steam integration. At least the Steam integration for Playnite and LaunchBox is directly shipped with the application and supported by the respectives developers. Bonus: the integration plugin works flawlessly even with a couple of thousand games there.

It really boggles the mind why GOG is avoiding Valve / Steam like a plague, but has really no qualms about integrating directly Microsoft (Xbox), Uplay, Epic and other libraries.

So don't compare apples and oranges.
TheDudeLebowski: GOG was spared because the goal was to crack the DRM and make a statement. However, 2 days ago, Illegal copies of GOG games have started popping up everywhere (when the announcement was made).
GameN16bit: Source?
Just do your research. It is against the forum rules to point to these information.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by coffeecup