It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameN16bit: I didn't say there was additional value for you, however, for those that use both GOG and Epic Games Store there is value there. You can buy, install and play all without having to change apps. You view all your games from one central location. I have 250 "friends" on GOG, the max you can have. The vast majority of people on my friends list have connected to third party platforms in Galaxy. So based on the sample size, I wager the majority of GOG users also shop from other platforms.
The "all in one" client idea seems to have potential to get GOG some greater numbers, so I don't blame them for looking for more ways to enhance that. However I also don't blame people for thinking it's sketchy when a lot of those games have DRM on them.

As long as you can use the website to purchase and download DRM free offline installers though, that's the essential thing IMO. Galaxy being optional makes all the Galaxy concerns a lot of noise without form, for the moment. Though I agree there is more and more reason to express concern about possible changes to that.
low rated
Truth007: Shill, enjoy accepting mediocrity and not being a man standing up for yourself.
Sounds like I hit a nerve, good. In order to change mediocrity to the better, one must accept reality first. All I'm seeing are rants, including mine and also the usual preaching to the choir.

If you're up to the task then stand up. Like a real b̶a̶b̶y̶ man you choose to instead of aiming your babyrage at me. But I know you can't, because a real man would accept reality first before the act. And unfortunately, you're not even close to even that. Or otherwise you wouldn't aim your silly, petty toxicity at me instead of actually reading the thread and what people have to say or even more importantly, contribute.

I can even tell that you're worse than that, you wait until enough people rally against a n̶o̶n̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ common enemy. If people actually would care about what GOG is doing, they already would've present solutions. I see many good analyses and even some contructive criticisms, but only some may actually matter for GOG.

At any case, this is the internet. And there always will be someone who can out holier-than-thou you, my little friend :>!

If you missed what I have written, let me say it in simplier terms. I also wish the best for GOG and its staff, as many do.
high rated
toxicTom: I don't think they wanted to become a DRM store, a small-time Polish Steam. I was in contact with some people from the old staff, and they really were quite true to the DRM-free idea.
I do think GOG really lacks in ambition and direction. And that's a management issue. I don't know what going on there behind the scenes, but it can't be good. A few years ago, if I hadn't had family, I'd even considered working there - lots of cool people. Not anymore. And I guess there's a reason the old people went away, and the new staff - certainly friendly people too - are less... ambitious to "fraternise" with the users.
Oh, back in the day I'm absolutely sure they believed firmly in their DRM-free principle. But around the time when the FCK DRM site went up, which was fairly recently? I'm not so sure.

Really, this is what it all comes down to, that right there difference between "old GOG" and "new GOG", and the issue of trust. This is the heart of the matter:

At one time GOG's DRM-free principle was not (just) a business policy, but an ethical stance. We're not selling it because DRM is wrong, not just because it's out gimmick. That's why their commitment to it was reliable. Now they are going to be making money off of DRMed games. Even though some may argue untill they are blue in the mouth that technically nothing about how GOG.com operates changes, the fallout is twofold:

1. They may not be breaking the rule of selling DRMed games here, but they are clearly breaking their ethical commitment. They are doing somethign they themselves used to brand as wrong. That makes them look entirely untrustworthy and unethical. That's bad from both a moral and business standpoint.

2. Since DRM-free is now not an ethical stance but just a business strategy, it can change or be entirely abolished as business requires. As long as we believed in GOG team's ethical stance on the issue we had reason to believe in the permanence of the policy itself. That is no longer the case.

Add to that their reluctance in marketing it as their USP does not make it look like they even take it as an important business policy. So yes, technically nothing changed on GOG.com right now. But there is abslutely no reason to think it won't. There is no reason to be sure we won't wake up to DRM-free policy being discontinued tomorrow. It's not paranoia, it's simple logic.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Breja
high rated
GameN16bit: You can buy, install and play all without having to change apps.
If that's "value" nowadays, then I'm probably too old to understand it.

But then I'm the guy who prefers small local stores over supermarket franchises. Even if it's less convenient and sometimes more expensive. At least I know the people who get my money - they're essentially my neighbours.

Translated to GOG that means if they want to be a supermarket, well I'll still buy the stuff I can't get elsewhere. But they're not my neighbours any more. They'll get my money out of necessity, not because I feel they are worth it.
low rated
toxicTom: If that's "value" nowadays, then I'm probably too old to understand it.
Obviously, you are not the target audience then.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
high rated
Breja: Oh, back in the day I'm absolutely sure they believed firmly in their DRM-free principle. But around the time when the FCK DRM site went up, which was fairly recently? I'm not so sure.

Really, this is what it all comes down to, that right there difference between "old GOG" and "new GOG", and the issue of trust. This is the heart of the matter:

At one time GOG's DRM-free principle was not (just) a business policy, but an ethical stance. We're not selling it because it;s DRM is wrong, not just because it's out gimmick. That's why their commitment to it was reliable. Now they are going to be making money off of DRMed games. Even though some may argue untill they are blue in the mouth that technically nothing about how GOG.com operates changes, the fallout is twofold:

1. They may not be breaking the rule of selling DRMed games here, but they are clearly breaking their ethical commitment. They are doing somethign they themselves used to brand as wrong. That makes them look entirely untrustworthy. That's bad from both a moral and business standpoint.

2. Since DRM-free is now not an ethical stance but just a business strategy, it can change or be entirely abolished as business requires. As long as we believed in GOG team's ethical stance on the issue we had reason to believe in the permanence of the policy itself. That is no longer the case.

Add to that their reluctance in marketing it as their USP does not make it look like they even take it as an important business policy. So yes, technically nothing changed on GOG.com right now. But there is abslutely no reason to think it won't. There is no reason to be sure we won't wake up to DRM-free policy being discontinued tomorrow. It's not paranoia, it's simple logic.
We had our differences "Elsweyr", but this deserves to be printed and mailed to GOG HQ. You really nailed it.
GameN16bit: Obviously, you are not the target audience then.
Obviously. I'm not sure GOG understands "target audience". Seem like their target audience is now Steam and EGS users. Well - those people use Steam and EGS, and GOG has literally nothing to offer to sway them.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by toxicTom
high rated
toxicTom: If that's "value" nowadays, then I'm probably too old to understand it.
But again, "Not insulting people." Inb4 you are "sorry" WE misunderstood you.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by DarkSaber2k
low rated
toxicTom: Obviously. I'm not sure GOG understands "target audience". Seem like their target audience is now Steam and EGS users. Well - those people use Steam and EGS, and GOG has literally nothing to offer to sway them.
If that was the case then GOG sales would not have been the best on record... obviously there is correlation, that from the introduction of Galaxy and to an extent Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk GOG has grown a lot picking up many "Steam and EGS" users. There are people out that prefer DRM Free, but will buy games with DRM if they have too. There are those that prefer buying older games that actually work on Windows 10. It's not black and white.

There are not just GOG users and Steam users and EGS users. The overlap is significant for many different reasons...
DarkSaber2k: But again, "Not insulting people." Inb4 you are "sorry" WE misunderstood you.
That was not insult whatsoever... so no. That was a fact.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
high rated
toxicTom: Obviously. I'm not sure GOG understands "target audience". Seem like their target audience is now Steam and EGS users. Well - those people use Steam and EGS, and GOG has literally nothing to offer to sway them.
GameN16bit: If that was the case then GOG sales would not have been the best on record... obviously there is correlation, that from the introduction of Galaxy and to an extent Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk GOG has grown a lot picking up many "Steam and EGS" users. There are people out that prefer DRM Free, but will buy games with DRM if they have too. There are those that prefer buying older games that actually work on Windows 10. It's not black and white.

There are not just GOG users and Steam users and EGS users. The overlap is significant for many different reasons...
DarkSaber2k: But again, "Not insulting people." Inb4 you are "sorry" WE misunderstood you.
GameN16bit: That was not insult whatsoever... so no. That was a fact.
Yeah nothing insulting at all about saying "We don't care about you"

If I acted in my volunteer role the way you are here, I'd be out on my ass.
low rated
SpikedWallMan: 1. They can keep doing what they have been doing for the past 12 years: releasing classic games that have not seen a release in ages.
I fear thoses games do not bring a lot of money. They primarely bring new customers.

SpikedWallMan: 2. They can double-down on their DRM-free mission. The state of DRM today is absolutely laughable. Even the "mighty" Denuvo gets cracked in a matter of days.
Nope, today plenty of games using Denuvo are not cracked. RDR2 for example... You can have a look here. It is all about the budget and time devs are willing to spend on DRM.

SpikedWallMan: 3. They can target more releases for new AAA games on GOG. What GOG will probably need to do is start lobbying hard for AAA companies to drop their DRM and release DRM-free on GOG.
Lobbying is very expensive. It would require CD Projekt Red to create a game as popular as Fortnite to have money to burn on lobbying.

SpikedWallMan: ...it's going to have to be through making a better product than Steam or offering some sort of incentive to use the GOG platform. The all-in-one launcher philosophy is not going to be that incentive...
The all-in-one launcher philosophy is a way to make GOG a better product and to differentiate itself from all other services... only time will tell if it will be successful. We are going to see an explosion of gaming subscribtion services in the next few years. Stadia, Microsoft, EA, Nvidia, Amazon are only the first ones. Galaxy could become a really good option where on one side you can curate all your subscritions (the true end-game DRM) within 1 software, and on the other side you can buy the same games DRM free on GOG.

Too many users here seems to misunderstand something simple: GOG will always sell games without DRM as it is the core USP the brand, while Galaxy is a 'store-agnostic' software to curate all games and attract potential new store-agnostic gamers. There is nothing wrong about that... GOG ≠ Galaxy.

Also Galaxy is optional... you will always be able to download the installers via the store if you want the true 'hardcore' DRM free experience.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by jeromedetraz
high rated
So, we have collectively made our point clear in all manners of expression, albeit in written form. We (or vast majority, at least) have expressed our extreme displeasure concerning this new turn of events.

Since this is apparently a money thing, let's focus on that. Most of the people in this thread have hundreds of games on GOG, i.e. we've invested a lot in supporting GOG. We've done so mainly because of the DRM-free ideal.

We see this ideal being bent to suit a corporate goal.

Have we "served our purpose" in supporting GOG's growth and are, therefore, expendable? Will we get an official response concerning our protest?
Truth007: Shill, enjoy accepting mediocrity and not being a man standing up for yourself.
Dray2k: Sounds like I hit a nerve, good. In order to change mediocrity to the better, one must accept reality first. All I'm seeing are rants, including mine and also the usual preaching to the choir.

If you're up to the task then stand up. Like a real b̶a̶b̶y̶ man you choose to instead of aiming your babyrage at me. But I know you can't, because a real man would accept reality first before the act. And unfortunately, you're not even close to even that. Or otherwise you wouldn't aim your silly, petty toxicity at me instead of actually reading the thread and what people have to say or even more importantly, contribute.

I can even tell that you're worse than that, you wait until enough people rally against a n̶o̶n̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ common enemy. If people actually would care about what GOG is doing, they already would've present solutions. I see many good analyses and even some contructive criticisms, but only some may actually matter for GOG.

At any case, this is the internet. And there always will be someone who can out holier-than-thou you, my little friend :>!

If you missed what I have written, let me say it in simplier terms. I also wish the best for GOG and its staff, as many do.
You aren't a man, you accept anything and don't do anything about it. Shilling for a company is something no one should be doing.
low rated
DarkSaber2k: Yeah nothing insulting at all about saying "We don't care about you"
There is a big difference between saying "this feature is not intended for you" compared to "We don't care about you". Don't misconstrue the actual meaning. You don't lose anything by this feature existing, no matter how much you claim otherwise.

DarkSaber2k: If I acted in my volunteer role the way you are here, I'd be out on my ass.
Must not have been a very good place then if giving facts is an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

------

high rated
GameN16bit: I'm going to go with doubtful or you would already be sticking with Steam.
So you think I'm being dishonest? What a strange way to reply to a personal statement... Please believe me that I WILL stop buying from GOG if they just become just another DRM store. Why fragment my DRM'd library when I can just use Steam?

GameN16bit: This announcement does not change how GOG.com (the site and store) operates. Every game that release on GOG.com will be DRM Free just like they are now.
One can hope... I don't have visibility into CDPR's business plan so I don't know what they are thinking. This is such a significant deviation from their previous plans that it raises questions about the future of DRM-free in GOG's store.

GameN16bit: So your really arguing against optional additional value, which makes zero sense. If you care about DRM Free at all, this announcement does not change that GOG.com is still the best value and storefront for DRM free games and likely the only one that will be able to get publishers to release games DRM free. No other store offering DRM free games can match GOG, and it was very very uphill battle for GOG to get this far.
So what's the unique value proposition here? What if Steam was to offer a similar all-in-one launcher feature tomorrow? They could easily do so since all of the APIs are open enough for GOG to do it, and they have the industry connections to make any special integrations happen. How would GOG selling games from another store help GOG's interests then if their launcher is no longer anything special? Also, why hasn't Steam done launcher integrations like this already? Maybe because Steam doesn't want to promote competitors?

GameN16bit: Again this change only impacts Galaxy. And you have the option of keeping it strictly GOG.com games only.
I believe that I have addressed that it doesn't matter if it's Galaxy-only and/or can be disabled. The fact that Galaxy offers a game from *any* store disincentivizes DRM-free releases directly on GOG because devs could argue that "it's already sold on Galaxy" if it's on any store promoted through Galaxy.

GameN16bit: Become as large as Steam no, provide value that can entice Steam users to buy from outside Steam... yes. It would be absurd to think GOG can become as big as Steam... and it doesn't need to. If it can cut out 10 or even 20% of Steams market by offering a lot of value with Galaxy... that is huge.
If the goal is only 10%-20%, there are far better ways to do that which I previously outlined. Also, I would question whether doing Epic's launcher development and tech support while taking a small financial cut would even make GOG break even at only 10%-20%. Also, I would be surprised if GOG was able to convince 10%-20% of Steam's users to completely leave Steam just by selling Epic's games or offering an integrated launcher.

GameN16bit: Sure, but they are not funded by a major corporation like Galaxy is. They also don't have the support of official integrations by platform holders like Galaxy does. Hence, why Galaxy will be far better and better integrated in the long run and likey offer for more features. That is the key difference.
So by extension, Steam has more money and could do a better job with an all-in-one launcher than GOG can do with Galaxy? I am still not seeing the unique value proposition here, and the point that I'm making is that GOG betting so heavily on Galaxy's integration features seems like a misguided decision. Also, if you assume that Galaxy's integrations are not unique, then that just leaves the fact that GOG is now selling Epic's DRM'd games and taking over portions of their launcher development and tech support. This decision by GOG does not make sense to me because it appears to hurt GOG's business instead of help it.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by SpikedWallMan
high rated
DarkSaber2k: Yeah nothing insulting at all about saying "We don't care about you"
GameN16bit: There is a big difference between saying "this feature is not intended for you" compared to "We don't care about you". Don't misconstrue the actual meaning. You don't lose anything by this feature existing, no matter how much you claim otherwise.

DarkSaber2k: If I acted in my volunteer role the way you are here, I'd be out on my ass.
GameN16bit: Must not have been a very good place then if giving facts is an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"Obviously, you are not the target audience then. " is very different from "this feature is not intended for you"

Back to Social Media school

And I work for a much more media savvy company than GOG