It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Windows 10 is coming on July 29th and we are as ready as can be!

You have been asking on our forums, and now we are here with the official word! We're getting ready for Windows 10 and putting our QA Team at full capacity to test the games we (and you!) are looking forward to play on the upcoming OS.

Currently, we are very optimistic about July 29th and hope you will make a near-seamless transition to gaming on the newest version of your Windows operating system.

GOG.com has always been about making sure our releases, especially the classics, are tested and playable out of the box on modern computers.

When GOG.com launched in 2008, Windows XP was by far the most popular operating system among gamers. Ever since then we've meticulously tested our entire library to introduce Day 1 compatibility with every new Windows release. We've done it for Windows 7, we've done it for Windows 8 - now we're doing it all again for Windows 10.

So far, things are looking great. We're encountering very few problems and most of those are either resolvable on our end, or likely to get fixed as Windows 10 nears release. In fact, many games that had issues on operating systems newer than Windows XP once again won’t suffer any hiccups on Windows 10. The OS is still a work in progress, so while anything can happen until the release date we're confident for the future. This is the smoothest transition to a brand new system that we've ever worked on.

Some games may need a patch to run perfectly smoothly, but don't worry - they will be available on the site, and if you use GOG Galaxy, your games will be ready to go automatically.
I am on the last build of Win 10 before the RTM, it work like a dream...

and yes, we can disable the auto updates...

Win 10 is awesome...
This is good news. Sadly, i don't see Linux replacing Windows anytime soon with most AAA developers still thinking they do enough cross platforming by making a game run on both a PC and some consoles.

But at least by guaranteeing a seamless transition, GoG can earn points over Steam, where i expect the support forums to quickly run full of complaints of stuff no longer working without compatibility switches that can't be set inside the Steam client itself.

I don't think Windows 7 will be supported for very long. M$ wouldn't push for a free upgrade unless they intended to build up justification to put the kybosh on the older releases much quicker than they did with XP.
Gilozard: That clears things up a bit. A lot of the people I see sticking with XP are doing it out of financial/emotional reasons and need to be talked out of it. A limited private server wouldn't be a security problem probably, although I still think you're signing yourself up for headaches. That could just be my personal experience, though.

The big problem with XP though is that the malware-catching/logging tools simply aren't there in the OS, so even scanning it won't really catch everything. It's just not designed with the idea that malicious software is everywhere. *shrug* Like with the 1950s cars that don't even come with attachment places for seatbelts, it's not that the feature isn't there but that the support in the OS needed for the feature to be added is lacking.

There are definitely some use cases where XP is viable, but it really does need to be a special and carefully-considered case. Too many people don't understand that.
My reason for the XP 64bit game server is financial. I'm not ready to buy another Windows license just to run a game server for a handful of friends when I feel I can keep it protected fairly well. Even if it did get compromised, it would be isolated from any other computer, other than the port needed for the game client to connect. I can even block all outbound traffic from it though my firewall.

I can also say that I don't believe Windows 7 or 8 are designed to prevent malicious software either. A crazy amount of infected computers come into our office to be cleaned. I've seen computers with various brands of antivirus on them. Almost all are behind secure firewalls. Even worse, I've seen the Windows 8 features that are supposedly designed to keep malware out actually make it harder to remove malware.
Zacron: So far, it seems that more games work nice with Windows 10 than 8/8.1. It seems that they have either brought back full Direct Draw support, or they have created a nice wrapper that emulates it. Either way, I have successfully tested several games that did not work on 8 that work fantastic on 10.
SirPrimalform: Ah, I'm now intrigued! The specific problem with Windows 8's DD 'support' is that the emulation is incredibly slow (it was emulated in 7 and ran fine). The games you've noticed an improvement on, was the problem on Windows 8 that they ran slowly?
No, it was more than that. There were graphical issues. For example, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 would run, but would get stuck in the top left corner of the screen, and the mouse had issues locking into the window. When you would try to fix it, it would either lock up, crash to desktop, or a number of other issues.

BUT, if properly implemented, MS could fix all that and more, allowing for full support for more than just that. They could fix it so that titles like Outlaws no longer need a Glide Wrapper, and that would be great.
Gilozard: That clears things up a bit. A lot of the people I see sticking with XP are doing it out of financial/emotional reasons and need to be talked out of it. A limited private server wouldn't be a security problem probably, although I still think you're signing yourself up for headaches. That could just be my personal experience, though.

The big problem with XP though is that the malware-catching/logging tools simply aren't there in the OS, so even scanning it won't really catch everything. It's just not designed with the idea that malicious software is everywhere. *shrug* Like with the 1950s cars that don't even come with attachment places for seatbelts, it's not that the feature isn't there but that the support in the OS needed for the feature to be added is lacking.

There are definitely some use cases where XP is viable, but it really does need to be a special and carefully-considered case. Too many people don't understand that.
jalister: My reason for the XP 64bit game server is financial. I'm not ready to buy another Windows license just to run a game server for a handful of friends when I feel I can keep it protected fairly well. Even if it did get compromised, it would be isolated from any other computer, other than the port needed for the game client to connect. I can even block all outbound traffic from it though my firewall.

I can also say that I don't believe Windows 7 or 8 are designed to prevent malicious software either. A crazy amount of infected computers come into our office to be cleaned. I've seen computers with various brands of antivirus on them. Almost all are behind secure firewalls. Even worse, I've seen the Windows 8 features that are supposedly designed to keep malware out actually make it harder to remove malware.
Like I said, XP is usable in carefully considered use cases. An appliance box with strictly limited access is a potentially viable use case. Blocking outbound traffic would interfere with gaming though - the game needs to transmit back to the players' PCs unless everyone is behind the firewall.

Win7 and 8 have better fundamentals that allow for systems to be secured more effectively, but that doesn't do anything to stop PUBCK. Most infections boil down to a user doing something they had been told not to do and actively granting permission to the toolbar/whatever.

There are a lot of users who don't understand that computers are not magic boxes but tools that need special handling.

Yeah, Win8 was a horrible mistake in all kinds of ways. MS has very rarely actually understood what their customers like and use, and the pivot to ignore power users was incredibly irritating. I'm hoping Win10 is a step back from that cliff, or we'll be facing the XP issue all over again in another 5 years when Win7 loses support.
Post edited July 08, 2015 by Gilozard
SirPrimalform: Ah, I'm now intrigued! The specific problem with Windows 8's DD 'support' is that the emulation is incredibly slow (it was emulated in 7 and ran fine). The games you've noticed an improvement on, was the problem on Windows 8 that they ran slowly?
Zacron: No, it was more than that. There were graphical issues. For example, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 would run, but would get stuck in the top left corner of the screen, and the mouse had issues locking into the window. When you would try to fix it, it would either lock up, crash to desktop, or a number of other issues.

BUT, if properly implemented, MS could fix all that and more, allowing for full support for more than just that. They could fix it so that titles like Outlaws no longer need a Glide Wrapper, and that would be great.
The only way to keep Glide games from needing a glide wrapper is to integrate a Glide layer into the OS. It just moves the problem somewhere else.

Microsoft already spends an inordinate amount of their development effort on backwards compatibility, and in some cases it makes the OS worse from other perspectives. So as much as I love playing old games on new OS's, it shouldn't be a higher priority for Microsoft IMO.

I'm probably going to mostly stick with Windows 7. I get a free copy of Windows 10 for being an MSDN member, so I'll probably load it on something. But it may just be a second SSD that I can put in my laptop to play with it. It is very unlikely to be my primary OS anytime soon.

One issue though is I have multiple pieces of audio hardware, as well as ProTools 10, that probably won't be supported. I'm not buying new hardware to run an OS that I generally don't care about. I'm not against it, but I really don't care whether I upgrade or not.
This article brought as tear to my eye, can't say whether it was from the nostalgia or from remembering a time when I had a full head of hair.
Zacron: No, it was more than that. There were graphical issues. For example, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 would run, but would get stuck in the top left corner of the screen, and the mouse had issues locking into the window. When you would try to fix it, it would either lock up, crash to desktop, or a number of other issues.

I just want to know whether they fixed the global DirectDraw speed problems.
I am not "upgrading." Please ensure all current and future products continue to work on Windows 7. If not, you will have a ton of Linux porting work ahead of you...
ewhac: I am not "upgrading." Please ensure all current and future products continue to work on Windows 7. If not, you will have a ton of Linux porting work ahead of you...
Not upgrading here till 2019 the earliest :D, i guess it will be when the last security fixes have stopped.
so i stick with win7. Adn i never upgrade anything, always got the full install, no upgrading, causes nothing but trouble (google for upgrade problems)

Took me more then a year before i started using XP, i was still using win2K, i had official XP installed (english ofcourse i dont like dutch translations(except for subtitles on my dvd movies).

The same story for win7: i started it up once a week to keep it up2date, took me also 1 tot 1.5 years before i started using win7 daily, now i am used to it.

So no 'bugtesting' or fiddling around with win10 for me, i will wait till its (much) older.
Post edited July 08, 2015 by gamesfreak64
jalister: My reason for the XP 64bit game server is financial. I'm not ready to buy another Windows license just to run a game server for a handful of friends when I feel I can keep it protected fairly well. Even if it did get compromised, it would be isolated from any other computer, other than the port needed for the game client to connect. I can even block all outbound traffic from it though my firewall.

Gilozard: Like I said, XP is usable in carefully considered use cases. An appliance box with strictly limited access is a potentially viable use case. Blocking outbound traffic would interfere with gaming though - the game needs to transmit back to the players' PCs unless everyone is behind the firewall.

Win7 and 8 have better fundamentals that allow for systems to be secured more effectively, but that doesn't do anything to stop PUBCK. Most infections boil down to a user doing something they had been told not to do and actively granting permission to the toolbar/whatever.

There are a lot of users who don't understand that computers are not magic boxes but tools that need special handling.

Yeah, Win8 was a horrible mistake in all kinds of ways. MS has very rarely actually understood what their customers like and use, and the pivot to ignore power users was incredibly irritating. I'm hoping Win10 is a step back from that cliff, or we'll be facing the XP issue all over again in another 5 years when Win7 loses support.
That last part is so true :D i think MS dont really seem to 'want' to try to understand what their customers like and use, they dont seem to care, if they had in the past, then there would'nt be so many lousy windows versions.
Its the same for most designers/developers, be it Microsoft or free browser FireFox, FF devs just add a bunch of crap to the browser : add to pocket, i read many requests on how to remove that from the browser.

Every time they asked users to fill in a survey ,and also send a mail to me, i told them everytime, that they should not add unneeded feature or options to FF, since most of these are not used, theres tons of messages asking how to remove the pocket, how to return the new aerolook to then normal state, 100 thousands or more users are using plugings/addons to undo what firefox did with the poor browser, so generally these devs dont seem to be interested in what we want, but in what they like to add. They just got themselves a brand new 'toy' and want to show it off to everyone, and expect us to say: " aaaahh" and "ooohh" such a nice 'toy'.

ironiceman: I am on the last build of Win 10 before the RTM, it work like a dream...

and yes, we can disable the auto updates...

Win 10 is awesome...
i am happy to hear you like it so much already.
i do know that common versions wont have option to 'disable' the autoupdates, it seems that any version with the 'home' word in it does not allow autoupdates to be turned off.

I also wonder why MickeySoft want to allow to 'turn off' autoupdates.
I read a silly story of Msoft, they kinda compared it with autoupdating mobiles and all so that the machine was always uptodate and could work flawlessy.
If and when they give the more expensive versions the option to turn it of (the autoupdates) then what is the use of trying to make sure all devices are fully updated.
If they want win 10 to make the differnce then they should not allow to turnoff autoupdates, cause afterall, these smart Msoft guys surely know there coding and trust it to work flawlessy after updates are installed, unless they arent sure that some updates might mess up the windows again, just like in old times :D

If they want to make it safe and sure that everyone using win10 is always uptodate, : they should not allow to turnoff the autoupdates.
Post edited July 08, 2015 by gamesfreak64
The FUD in this thread is absolutely popcorn worthy.

Just so you people know, you'll be having to pay over 100 USD to upgrade if you wait for more than a year to upgrade.
Post edited July 08, 2015 by Darvond
Windows 10? Well, why not, sometimes, maybe one day. So please keep in mind you have a user base that might be keeping under 7 for a while...
ewhac: I am not "upgrading." Please ensure all current and future products continue to work on Windows 7. If not, you will have a ton of Linux porting work ahead of you...
I hope they'll still support XP, as well as Win7 and Linux on my PC, I still have that on my laptop that I have a few GOG games on (XP is still a good OS to have on a laptop regardless of how old it is now)

As for Windows 10, I'm going to hold back on upgrading for a while, regardless of how wonderful people are saying it is at the moment. Sorry, but I lost all trust in Microshaft after Vista, and the Window 8 mess just underlined that. So I'll be waiting to see what real users say about it after it's official release.
Glad to hear it, with Windows 9 you guys made a terrible mess of it all :-)