It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

paladin181: Oh yeah. Right now is one of the worst times historically to buy a PC or PC parts.
Historically? Try the 80s! :-P

The price of recent GPUs is by far the worst. Everything else isn't so bad (depending on what you're after).
I'd go for a second hand GTX970 (CAN be found second hand for around 150 euro) and upgrade it next year when/if the prices settle again.

Personally, I'd like to upgrade (from a GTX970) to an RTX3070, but I consider it a first world problem. There are still so many great 'older' games that I still haven't played.
Actually, I tried Control and I can play it on high(ish) settings, 1080P, on my current card.

I notice that the OP hasn't mentioned any requirements at all.
If you need something now, buy used. Or wait a year or two.
Yes, you should list your currency or location because there are significant differences between USD, CAD, AUD, SGD, etc. For example, the difference is 1080p average 60 FPS high settings on 2021 AAA games and average 144 FPS between CAD and USD on the same $1000 budget.

For $1000 CAD desktop, I'd go with something like this:

- R5 3600 / 5600X
- Optional: Gammax 400 v2 / 212 / Freezer 34 Duo / NH-U12(A / S)
- B550 MOBO that meets your feature specs like included wifi/BT (can consider B450 if you don't use a lot of PCIe lanes)
- 2x8GB 3200+ MHz RAM (up to 3800 MHz) - get 2x16GB if you play MSFS or do heavy workloads
- GTX 1650S 4GB or fairly priced RX 580 8GB (ideally RTX 3060 [Ti] 12GB for 1080p 144Hz)
- 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD like the SN550 / A2000 / SN750
- Additional SATA3 storage with DRAM depending on your mobo and storage needs like the Blue 3D / MX500 / 860 or HDDs like Barracudas / WD Blues
- High airflow case matching your MOBO size like NR600, R1, P360A, Meshify, Lancool, etc.
- 80+ gold 650W+ PSU (can stick to 550W if you only plan to stay in 1080p range in the future)
- Use remaining funds for extra fans to ensure you have at least 2-3 fans intake and 1 exhaust, RGB, Windows 10 key, peripherals, etc.

Cheapest option would be to buy used If you need to buy new, going through an SI like NZXT BLD might be a smart choice too only because of GPU shortages.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Post edited May 15, 2021 by Canuck_Cat
wolfsite: For the CPU it may be a good idea to get a Ryzen CPU with integrated graphics due to the GPU problems we are facing right now.
Good luck with that. As far as I know, AMD only makes APUs for their laptop CPUs.
wolfsite: For the CPU it may be a good idea to get a Ryzen CPU with integrated graphics due to the GPU problems we are facing right now.
Mr.Mumbles: Good luck with that. As far as I know, AMD only makes APUs for their laptop CPUs.
Aside from OEM PCs with newer APUs, it can be be attractive to use the Zen+ R3 3200G and R5 3400G, which have been out since July 2019.
Canuck_Cat: Any questions, feel free to ask.
Why do you put that much effort in writing an advice if you know nothing about the OP and what he/she wants out of a "gaming system"? For all you/we know, it's about a Pentium 2 upgrade to be able play 15 year old games.
PS. Not everybody cares about playing 'games' at more than 60 FPS. I don't.
Canuck_Cat: Aside from OEM PCs with newer APUs, it can be be attractive to use the Zen+ R3 3200G and R5 3400G, which have been out since July 2019.
True! But while being good value for money, for a 1000$ budget (excluding monitor), you can get a better CPU+GPU than those....
Post edited May 15, 2021 by teceem
Canuck_Cat: Any questions, feel free to ask.
teceem: Why do you put that much effort in writing an advice if you know nothing about the OP and what he/she wants out of a "gaming system"? For all you/we know, it's about a Pentium 2 upgrade to be able play 15 year old games.
PS. Not everybody cares about playing 'games' at more than 60 FPS. I don't.
Canuck_Cat: Aside from OEM PCs with newer APUs, it can be be attractive to use the Zen+ R3 3200G and R5 3400G, which have been out since July 2019.
teceem: True! But while being good value for money, for a 1000$ budget (excluding monitor), you can get a better CPU+GPU than those....
I like to talk about hardware. At least it's a place to start with no harm done. If they don't use CAD or USD, can obviously disregard advice.

And some people like gaming above 60 FPS. I do this a lot on Reddit, so this is second nature to me. I expect OP to follow-up with clarification questions to help pinpoint needs.
Canuck_Cat: I like to talk about hardware. At least it's a place to start with no harm done. If they don't use CAD or USD, can obviously disregard advice.

And some people like gaming above 60 FPS. I do this a lot on Reddit, so this is second nature to me. I expect OP to follow-up with clarification questions to help pinpoint needs.
Still, I imagine that someone willing to buy a system from parts will do the research and not just base their choices on the advice of random internet people.
I know, I gave some advice too in this topic. It probably wasn't worth my time (/ the OP isn't very active).
DD & Ji Ji: Any suggestions ?
I'm actually looking at buying a new PC also soon, though my needs are for 2D gamedev so a GPU is low-priority for me.

paladin181 mentioned ibuypower, and previously I've seen several <$1000 rigs from them (like $500-800) on the Best Buy website, though we're talking 8GB RAM and presumably low-end graphic cards. The $1000-1400 rigs are gonna go pretty quick. (People here may advise you not to use BestBuy, I don't know, but you can still look.)

Apparently NewEgg is selling reasonably-priced rigs through their ABS series, but of course those go extremely quickly too.
DD & Ji Ji: Any suggestions ?
ALLIED STINGER-A
Mr.Mumbles: Good luck with that. As far as I know, AMD only makes APUs for their laptop CPUs.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1943-amd-athlon-3000g/
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-3200g

3000g almost impossible to find in stock (had one on order for six months) for various reasons - low price being one.

Edit: video from lowspecgamer on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRX5aFtneD0
Post edited May 15, 2021 by Sachys
The AMD 3x00G processors are not worth it at full price anymore with new AMD and Intel processors being fifty percent faster per core.
Themken: The AMD 3x00G processors are not worth it at full price anymore with new AMD and Intel processors being fifty percent faster per core.
depends on your budget. if all you have is $50 equivalent and you can get a 3000g at its intended retail price you save a packet.
Themken: The AMD 3x00G processors are not worth it at full price anymore with new AMD and Intel processors being fifty percent faster per core.
They are still OK if you want to avoid buying a graphics card at the moment. At least in Europe you can build a 3400G based system for €500 and that would be good enough for 720p gaming.

There's also the possibility of buying a 4000G series, which would be much faster on the CPU side, but they haven't been officially released outside of OEM prebuilts, so you depend on the grey market in most countries.

Granted, maybe OP has a much better PC already, so without that information is impossible to recommend anything.
Post edited May 16, 2021 by FalloutDefault
The potato PC should never be left behind, you can add another computer but the old battle horse must remain!!!!