It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The classic strategy game receives a new version with fresh features and visuals. Master of Magic is now available on GOG.COM in a completely updated version.

Also, you can now acquire a Master of Magic: Caster of Magic DLC that further expands the game’s universe and the community options.

Note: the classic version of the game will be added as a freebie to every Master of Magic purchase.
HunchBluntley: Hey GOG, you might want to remove the "This game is powered by DOSBox." line from the store page, or amend it to explain that this only applies to the classic version. (I assume the updated one doesn't use DOSBox.)
It still uses DOSBox for all versions. The new thing added is a launcher where you can choose between Master of Magic (Classic 1.31), Master of Magic Community Patch and Caster of Magic (if you purchase the DLC), but all three versions use DOSBox.

The Master of Magic Classic available in extras I suppose is just the original game without the launcher, but can't verify due to 404 errors.

PD: The only thing I dislike from this version is that is not so easy to change the sound options, with Sound Blaster Pro being the default music option instead of MIDI or something better.
Post edited February 25, 2020 by Ghildrean
Kelefane: Wait. The visuals were changed? What was changed with them exactly? Were sprites changed? Does it look better?
I'm pretty sure the screenshots on the store page are now from the updated version, so check those.
HunchBluntley: Hey GOG, you might want to remove the "This game is powered by DOSBox." line from the store page, or amend it to explain that this only applies to the classic version. (I assume the updated one doesn't use DOSBox.)
Ghildrean: It still uses DOSBox for all versions. The new thing added is a launcher where you can choose between Master of Magic (Classic 1.31), Master of Magic Community Patch and Caster of Magic (if you purchase the DLC), but all three versions use DOSBox.

The Master of Magic Classic available in extras I suppose is just the original game without the launcher, but can't verify due to 404 errors.
If the classic version in extras is the old 1.31 version as a "freebie", it can be the most unnecesary, confusing and redundant release ever. Because apparently The "official version" in the launcher is already the 1.31. Unless I am losing something evident.

Confusing
Post edited February 25, 2020 by Gudadantza
low rated
i nevah played these sort of games
they make me feel dimbo

doesnt this one have abug or somethang? i googled it an' theres somethang janky? or does this update fix it?
Ghildrean: It still uses DOSBox for all versions. The new thing added is a launcher where you can choose between Master of Magic (Classic 1.31), Master of Magic Community Patch and Caster of Magic (if you purchase the DLC), but all three versions use DOSBox.
That's really weird. I don't think I've ever heard of a commercial re-release of a DOS game where it's literally an updated DOS build that still runs in DOSBox. Usually, at worst, there's a custom interpreter running the DOS version, if not a source port. Maybe all that just seemed like overkill for a non-3D game where it was apparently pretty easy to just mod in some new art assets and such.
I suppose Slitherine's planning a sequel or modernized remake, so they probably also didn't want to pour lots of resources into just remastering the old game.
Kelefane: Wait. The visuals were changed? What was changed with them exactly? Were sprites changed? Does it look better?
HunchBluntley: I'm pretty sure the screenshots on the store page are now from the updated version, so check those.
Are the new visuals from the community update or the DLC?
Maxvorstadt: Do the french version contain some extra content that the other language versions don`t contain? Confused...
delicious cheeses and wines
Stop changing my language and currency options the moment I click checkout damnit! >:-[

And yeah, very unexpected dlc... mod...

... did Gog just integrated payed mods and everybody is cheering? *buys it in this specific case anyway since MoM is the best ;) *
Post edited February 25, 2020 by Anothername
Maybe this will be as good as Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor. :)
HunchBluntley: I'm pretty sure the screenshots on the store page are now from the updated version, so check those.
Kelefane: Are the new visuals from the community update or the DLC?
No idea; I'm just going by a comparison of the screenshots I see now vs. what I remember from the pre-update game page when last I checked (probably last year sometime). I don't own the game.
high rated
Apparently the money earned from the DLC goes to the mod creator, and he will use it to continue updating.

https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=9846
Post edited February 25, 2020 by zazak09
high rated
The irony of modern software development: the launcher takes 10x more disk space than the game itself.

Gudadantza: If the classic version in extras is the old 1.31 version as a "freebie", it can be the most unnecesary, confusing and redundant release ever. Because apparently The "official version" in the launcher is already the 1.31.
Well, they dropped the official linux and mac support, so the old linux installers (containing v.1.31) are now shipped as goodies. So there is no redundancy here. Even if you are on windows, you may prefer the old installers without the new launcher.

HunchBluntley: That's really weird. I don't think I've ever heard of a commercial re-release of a DOS game where it's literally an updated DOS build that still runs in DOSBox.
It's not a "merely" updated build. The original Master of Magic was bugged as hell, so that even back then it received several major patches that fixed some of the bugs and problems in game balance. V1.3 was almost a different game despite looking exactly the same.

After that there were unofficial patches by the community which tried to solve the remaining issues. One shouldn't underestimate how difficult fixing a game like MoM can be. I personally prefer such releases rather than attempts like Z or Commandos 2 HD.
No the updated one still uses dosbox.
For anyone wondering about the patch: https://masterofmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Unofficial_Patch_1.50
HunchBluntley: That's really weird. I don't think I've ever heard of a commercial re-release of a DOS game where it's literally an updated DOS build that still runs in DOSBox.
igrok: It's not a "merely" updated build. The original Master of Magic was bugged as hell, so that even back then it received several major patches that fixed some of the bugs and problems in game balance. V1.3 was almost a different game despite looking exactly the same.

After that there were unofficial patches by the community which tried to solve the remaining issues. One shouldn't underestimate how difficult fixing a game like MoM can be. I personally prefer such releases rather than attempts like Z or Commandos 2 HD.
My point was the fact that the new patched, updated version still running in DOS is extremely unusual. I neither said nor implied anything about the quality or quantity of the changes made by this patch. : )

Lord_Kane: No the updated one still uses dosbox.
Yes, I've been informed. :P
Post edited February 25, 2020 by HunchBluntley