It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Shmacky-McNuts: Logging in is less a security feature than knowing who is supposed to have what. Like a lunch line. I order a ham sandwich and the other people want turkey. Well I look at the order ticket as a means to give me what I ordered and not a way to tattoo a barcode on me.
Steam delivery works just the same way. Show your ticket, then get your sandwich. Depending on sandwich, you may have someone over you making sure you consume it yourself, but you may also be allowed to consume it at your leisure, wherever and however you like.
Unless you see a client as a way to tattoo a barcode on yourself, in which case Galaxy, GOG Downloader and lgogdownloader are also tattoos.
Shmacky-McNuts: Logging in is less a security feature than knowing who is supposed to have what. Like a lunch line. I order a ham sandwich and the other people want turkey. Well I look at the order ticket as a means to give me what I ordered and not a way to tattoo a barcode on me.
JMich: Steam delivery works just the same way. Show your ticket, then get your sandwich. Depending on sandwich, you may have someone over you making sure you consume it yourself, but you may also be allowed to consume it at your leisure, wherever and however you like.
Unless you see a client as a way to tattoo a barcode on yourself, in which case Galaxy, GOG Downloader and lgogdownloader are also tattoos.
I view to client to be the devil. Done lol XD

This is where all the steam hate comes from. GOG isn't my favorite exactly. It is a nice tool box. If steam didn't make people use a client I think GOG wouldn't exist now.

I think I should stop responding in this thread. I'm upsetting people...."looks at Marko" lol XD
Okay, I've updated the list completely. Thanks for the information, guys! Also, I'd like to make a request: Please list the OS you're testing the games on so each OS can be updated accordingly.

Teppic: Game that has DRM and shouldn't be on the list:
Fairy Bloom Freesia
Just confirming that this indeed doesn't work without Steam before I remove the listing.

MarkoH01: I have another question though. There are Half Lif 2 and Portal listed and yes, you can start the game the way it is written on the list. But the different languages are only available if you are runniong Steam even the graphic options are only saved if you are running steam. I tried several things but I guess it does not belong on the list because many important things (like the mentioned options) do not work.
I don't know about the language choice, but the graphics options shouldn't give you a problem, since all the config files are stored in the game folder itself and not in the Steam cloud folder. I've adjusted the options in both Half-Life 2 and Portal outside of Steam, and my settings always remain unchanged, even without Steam running.
Post edited April 06, 2015 by pedrovay2003
pedrovay2003: Okay, I've updated the list completely. Thanks for the information, guys! Also, I'd like to make a request: Please list the OS you're testing the games on so each OS can be updated accordingly.
I've tested all games on Win7 64bit. I've updated my post accordingly.
Shmacky-McNuts: I view to client to be the devil. Done lol XD
SteamCMD. Skip the full client, download your games.

Additional question: What about Galaxy? Is Galaxy the work of the devil or not?
Shmacky-McNuts: I think I should stop responding in this thread. I'm upsetting people...."looks at Marko" lol XD
I am not upset and I really can understand how someone could hate Steam - I am not a fan of them either. It is just hard for me to understand that someone could not get the simple reason why this thread even exists - and this is how I interpreted your posts with the many metaphors. I have absolutely no problem if you say you understand it but you still don't like Sream and you still wouldn't buy something from them because of their terms - no arguing here. But for many people who already HAVE bought Steam games or WANT games exlusively on Steam but don't want to use the Steam-Client in the future this is really helpful. I will never be upset if someone has another opinion than me but in this case the theme of the thread is not subjective. A game has some sort of copy protection in it or it has not. Here are the games you can get from Steam which still aren't copy protected (at least they can be played without the Steam-Client - to make sure they really aren't protected at all you'd have to transfer the game on a totally different PC). There is no reason to argue about it. Another thread would be if someone should buy anything from Steam because their SSA, support and everything else is bad as hell.
pedrovay2003: Okay, I've updated the list completely. Thanks for the information, guys! Also, I'd like to make a request: Please list the OS you're testing the games on so each OS can be updated accordingly.

Teppic: Game that has DRM and shouldn't be on the list:
Fairy Bloom Freesia
pedrovay2003: Just confirming that this indeed doesn't work without Steam before I remove the listing.

MarkoH01: I have another question though. There are Half Lif 2 and Portal listed and yes, you can start the game the way it is written on the list. But the different languages are only available if you are runniong Steam even the graphic options are only saved if you are running steam. I tried several things but I guess it does not belong on the list because many important things (like the mentioned options) do not work.
pedrovay2003: I don't know about the language choice, but the graphics options shouldn't give you a problem, since all the config files are stored in the game folder itself and not in the Steam cloud folder. I've adjusted the options in both Half-Life 2 and Portal outside of Steam, and my settings always remain unchanged, even without Steam running.
I remember some of the graphics setting which were saved but at least the resolution wasn't. I'll check this again. As far I have backuped those games to my Steam_with_DRM folder :(

Edit: I tried it again (with portal). You cannot change resolution above the desktop resolution (I have 720p Desktop resolution and can change this ingame to 1080p but after restart it's back to 720p) and you cannot chose any other language than english. Not with startparameters, console parameters or even through the menus. No problem doing any of these things when Steam is running. Keybindings and other graphical settings as well as savegames do work.
Post edited April 06, 2015 by MarkoH01
Good point. I mean for those people who HAVE used steam, it makes sense to want to know how to get their stuff.

That program perhaps and the un-protected games = a possible compromise =D
For anyone who was interested in what I was saying about CEG earlier in this thread, another more reliable way to tell if a game has Valve CEG in it is to open the game's corresponding .acf file (located in the SteamApps folder) in Notepad. If it has an entry that starts with CheckGuid, it has CEG. ProtectionID can actually miss Valve CEG during a scan even if a game has it; this new trick is a way of verifying it.

This is actually a really good discovery, though. The Steam DB website (https://steamdb.info/) lists a bunch of information about Steam game files, including if the CheckGuid thing is involved; just go to a game's page and click the Configuration tab (for example: https://steamdb.info/app/35110/config/ for the Just Cause 2 demo information). Since they log pretty much everything, determining whether or not a Steam game has CEG in it before purchase isn't necessarily a crapshoot anymore, since you can just check the website. This MAY only be reliable for Windows game, though, as some games have CEG in Windows and they don't in other OSes (the Linux version of BioShock Infinite, for example, doesn't even have the CheckGuid text in its .acf file) and Steam DB reports that it does have CEG; it doesn't make an OS distinction.
Post edited April 12, 2015 by pedrovay2003
HOLY CRAP, the Microsoft-published Ori and the Blind Forest is DRM-free. Adding it to the list now. I'm so happy. :D
pedrovay2003: For anyone who was interested in what I was saying about CEG earlier in this thread, another more reliable way to tell if a game has Valve CEG in it is to open the game's corresponding .acf file (located in the SteamApps folder) in Notepad. If it has an entry that starts with CheckGuid, it has CEG. ProtectionID can actually miss Valve CEG during a scan even if a game has it; this new trick is a way of verifying it.

This is actually a really good discovery, though. The Steam DB website (https://steamdb.info/) lists a bunch of information about Steam game files, including if the CheckGuid thing is involved; just go to a game's page and click the Configuration tab (for example: https://steamdb.info/app/35110/config/ for the Just Cause 2 demo information). Since they log pretty much everything, determining whether or not a Steam game has CEG in it before purchase isn't necessarily a crapshoot anymore, since you can just check the website. This MAY only be reliable for Windows game, though, as some games have CEG in Windows and they don't in other OSes (the Linux version of BioShock Infinite, for example, doesn't even have the CheckGuid text in its .acf file) and Steam DB reports that it does have CEG; it doesn't make an OS distinction.
I hate to be the one to play stupid here but exactly what parameters are we looking for in the configuration tab?
I have opened a number of games in the DB and the info is meaningless to me. :/
pedrovay2003: For anyone who was interested in what I was saying about CEG earlier in this thread, another more reliable way to tell if a game has Valve CEG in it is to open the game's corresponding .acf file (located in the SteamApps folder) in Notepad. If it has an entry that starts with CheckGuid, it has CEG. ProtectionID can actually miss Valve CEG during a scan even if a game has it; this new trick is a way of verifying it.

Would that mean that every game which has not this CheckGuid in the steamdb can be copied (at least to another directory) freely and run without steam?
Post edited April 13, 2015 by MarkoH01
All my games was tested on Win 8.1, forgot to mention that.

pedrovay2003: HOLY CRAP, the Microsoft-published Ori and the Blind Forest is DRM-free. Adding it to the list now. I'm so happy. :D
Thanks for the confirmation. I will buy it now at full price instead of waiting for a price cut.

Edit: About Ori. Bought the game. It's indeed DRM-free, but I had to remove steam_api.dll to make it run without Steam.
Post edited April 13, 2015 by Teppic
EndreWhiteMane: I hate to be the one to play stupid here but exactly what parameters are we looking for in the configuration tab?
Just look for the CheckGuid line. In my link for the Just Cause 2 demo page, if you click Configuration, there's CheckGuid information. Just having that line means that it has CEG, or, in rare cases, had it, but it's removed now. There's no way to tell about that last part.
MarkoH01: Would that mean that every game which has not this CheckGuid in the steamdb can be copied (at least to another directory) freely and run without steam?
Essentially, yes, I think so. Hell, the games that don't have CheckGuid work if you copy/paste them to entirely different machines, in my experience.
Teppic: All my games was tested on Win 8.1, forgot to mention that.

pedrovay2003: HOLY CRAP, the Microsoft-published Ori and the Blind Forest is DRM-free. Adding it to the list now. I'm so happy. :D
Teppic: Thanks for the confirmation. I will buy it now at full price instead of waiting for a price cut.

Edit: About Ori. Bought the game. It's indeed DRM-free, but I had to remove steam_api.dll to make it run without Steam.
Huh, I didn't have to delete anything to get it to run, but whatever works.
Post edited April 14, 2015 by pedrovay2003
EndreWhiteMane: I hate to be the one to play stupid here but exactly what parameters are we looking for in the configuration tab?
pedrovay2003: Just look for the CheckGuid line. In my link for the Just Cause 2 demo page, if you click Configuration, there's CheckGuid information. Just having that line means that it has CEG, or, in rare cases, had it, but it's removed now. There's no way to tell about that last part.
Got it, thanks. ;)
Running With Rifles seems to be DRM free according to the developer: http://steamcommunity.com/app/270150/discussions/0/35219681575668572/