It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Alien Convenant

Meh :P I enjoyed Prometheus a whole lot more. Most of the characters didn't really work for me, especially the protagonist. She really made me miss Elizabeth Shaw.
As for action, the final climactic showdown fell flat for me, in contrast to the initial reveal which I thought was very well done.
The story? Not really sure what to make of it. There are major gaps.
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Source Code
Mission Impossible 5: Rogue Nation
The Crow
Holy Man
Let Me In
Blade Runner
Elizabeth
Jack Reacher
Dark City
Fright Night
Transcendence

I particularly enjoyed, all of them.
Post edited May 25, 2017 by bad_fur_day1
Captain fantastic. I thought it would be a marvel/super hero kind movie, but no. The starting was a little disgusting to me but after that, the movie was better, and the result was a great movie, I enjoyed a lot. ^_^
It Follows on Netflix, same as Matewis above.

I was really surprised, I thought the movie would just be a bad excuse to show slutty teens with terrible acting.

However this is a genuinly creepy and interesting movie. Good acting too by the lead protagonist.
It's quite minimalistic and creates some really good scares in this atmosphere.
I get why it got so much praise.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by Ricky_Bobby
After Event Horizon, I found myself on quite the horror kick. So I dug out the backlog and watched some I had been meaning to watch...

Pandorum
This one felt average, nothing spectacular. Which was a slight shame, considering the producers previously made Event Horizon and the director was the same one who did Antibodies, both of which I really enjoyed. The cast did well and some of the creative choices (shooting in the dark, color symbolism) was really clever. But I did not find myself too invested in the story, and that the story had a few things that just didn't work for me. I can see why this has a following, but I can't say I'm part of it.

Hellraiser
Again, I didn't really get into this one. It's certainly a good movie: the story is well-told, the acting is great, and the practical effects are really what helps to sell this movie. But something about it just stopped me from enjoying it. Personally, it just seemed like nothing much happened at all before the true introduction of the cenobites to Kirsty. Again, this is a good movie. It's just not for me, it seems.

Videodrome
This one really caught my attention, and I am really glad I watched it. Great acting, original story, brilliant and sometimes disturbing practical effects. Nothing felt boring about this movie, and I could find myself sitting down and enjoying the whole thing. Hopefully some of his other films (looking for The Fly and Scanners next) carry much of the same feeling.

The Shining
Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. This is a horror classic. It's well-paced, absolutely tense at times and disturbing at others, and a show of just how genius Kubrick was. I also might be in the minority for this, but I also preferred some of the changes. The ending, for example, I just thought fit the overall tone more. A more mysterious ending showing the hotel's darkness, rather than an explosion, just felt more right.

Get Out
This easily has to be one of the best modern horror films, and the fact that it uses so little of the tropes that other genre films do is welcome. This one is smart, strange, dark, sometimes disturbing, and sometimes even funny. I don't want to say much for those who have yet to see this, but it truly is incredible.
I just watched Witness For the Prosecution. Yes, it's old and B&W but very, very good. And yes, Tyrone Power was an American playing a role that should've been given to an Englishman. Those two things are the only ways to nitpick this story. It was an Agatha Christie mystery adapted from stage to film, and I read that it was one of the few only versions of her plays that she liked.
I liked Ten Little Indians Too, but I guess she didn't.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

An average flick. Not awful, but not great either. They stretched too much for the over-the-top action sequence at the beginning and a lot of the attempts at laughs fell short. There were a few amusing moments and a couple out-loud chuckles though, few of which were produced by Jack Sparrow (Depp really seemed to be just mailing it in - tired of the character, perhaps). However, there were a couple high points: Javier Bardem - awesome in pretty much everything in which I've seen him; and Paul McCartney - really cool little cameo in one scene - I didn't know he was in it, and when I heard 'Maggie Mae' being sung in the prison/dungeon, I was thinking "Huh, that's an old Beatles tune!", then there he is as a pirate. Cool beans.
Logan

I have mixed feelings about it, but overall I thought it was well worth watching.
It's a rather dark superhero movie, in vein of Nolan's Batman movies and Superman vs. Batman.
I thought the story was interesting and the black-and-white filming was actually really nice.

However I prefer the more action spectacular nature of the previous X-Men movies, it's just more entertaining to me than darker or more dramatic stories like this one.
GR00T: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

An average flick. Not awful, but not great either. They stretched too much for the over-the-top action sequence at the beginning and a lot of the attempts at laughs fell short. There were a few amusing moments and a couple out-loud chuckles though, few of which were produced by Jack Sparrow (Depp really seemed to be just mailing it in - tired of the character, perhaps). However, there were a couple high points: Javier Bardem - awesome in pretty much everything in which I've seen him; and Paul McCartney - really cool little cameo in one scene - I didn't know he was in it, and when I heard 'Maggie Mae' being sung in the prison/dungeon, I was thinking "Huh, that's an old Beatles tune!", then there he is as a pirate. Cool beans.
For the first hour and a half I was having a pretty good time, which surprised me since the series really hasn't been any good since the very first film. Now, this movie is completely over the top ridiculous, even for this franchise, to the point where it almost feels like a self-parody of the first one. But it was fun, so I rolled with that. It's not like I'm particularly invested in the series so as long as it's fun it can do whatever as far as I care. The problem is, the movie had 40 more minutes to go after it seemed to have ran out of any fun ideas. It just got so padded and boring that all the good will it produced at the start evaporated by the time we finally reached end credits.

Some other thoughts:
-the actress playing Carina Smyth was absolutely charming, beautiful and charismatic. I wish the new Star Wars trilogy could have had a lead like her.

-not nearly enough Barbossa. Geofrey Rush is always a delight, and the way he chews scenery with honest enthusiasm has always been a highlight even of the worst movies of the series. This movie sadly doesn't give him nearly enough screen time

- watching Depp is almost sad. I pretty much believe he genuinely doesn't know where he is and what's going on half the time, and could not care less. Jack's character used to have a lot of energy, and for all his silly antics he at leas started out as a semi-capable action character at least. Now it seems Depp can barely be arsed to stand up for one in three scenes.

-the movie is terribly dark. I mean literally, not in terms of mood. It's just way too dark to see half the time. There are plenty scenes set at night, and I simply could not follow the action. It's a 230 million dollar movie- could they not afford decen lighting?
Post edited June 04, 2017 by Breja
Breja: Some other thoughts:
-the actress playing Carina Smyth was absolutely charming, beautiful and charismatic. I wish the new Star Wars trilogy could have had a lead like her.

-not nearly enough Barbossa. Geofrey Rush is always a delight, and the way he chews scenery with honest enthusiasm has always been a highlight even of the worst movies of the series. This movie sadly doesn't give him nearly enough screen time

- watching Depp is almost sad. I pretty much believe he genuinely doesn't know where he is and what's going on half the time, and could not care less. Jack's character used to have a lot of energy, and for all his silly antics he at leas started out as a semi-capable action character at least. Now it seems Depp can barely be arsed to stand up for one in three scenes.

-the movie is terribly dark. I mean literally, not in terms of mood. It's just way too dark to see half the time. There are plenty scenes set at night, and I simply could not follow the action. It's a 230 million dollar movie- could they not afford decen lighting?
Totally agree with everything you pointed out here.
What we do in the shadows

An awesome mockumentary about some vampires sharing a house in New Zealand.
Matewis: What we do in the shadows

It is isn't? I really need to rewatch it when the mood strikes. I haven't been watching anything remotely interesting lately other than The Beauty and The Beast which was surprisingly good.
John Wick Chapter 2 - Universally awesome old style action movie.

Life - Worth watching, it's a bit of a surprise. Somewhat spoiler-ish - Far too similar to Alien.
10 Cloverfield Lane , I recommend it.
Post edited June 16, 2017 by NikoXVI
Matewis: What we do in the shadows

Nirth: It is isn't? I really need to rewatch it when the mood strikes. I haven't been watching anything remotely interesting lately other than The Beauty and The Beast which was surprisingly good.
Yep and Stu is clearly the star of the show! I knew it would be good right in the beginning when they were trying to draw each other or otherwise describe how they looked to one another before going out, because they don't have any reflections XD