It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Jeysie: Gosh, you're right, when someone says that a 100% voluntary, bog-standard, and requested feature that does literally nothing but list what games you own/play means "total erosion of privacy", how dare I see that as hysteria and hyperbole.
one little step at a time

How many times do you need this repeated untill you understand?

Jeysie: Clearly I just need to understand the "simple matter" of how a 100% voluntary
Set to public by default and still displays some information publicly despite being set to private- that is no 100% voluntary.

Jeysie: , bog-standard
The fact that something like this has become bog standard is exactly what I mean when I talk of erosion of privacy. You see, and yet you fail to understand what you see.

Jeysie: and requested feature that shows zero incriminating or personal data
I said it so many times already over the course of all this. It has nothing to do with "incriminating". What the data in question is is not the point. "It's not that I have anything to hide. I just have nothing I want you to see". That's how real privacy works. Just because something isn't important, incriminating of sensitive, doesn't mean it's ok to have it be made public without your express permission.

The fact that you no longer even comprehend what real privacy is or why it's important is the best proof of that erosion of privacy I'm talking about. We live in a world where people not only don't treasure their privacy, they no longer even understand the concept. It's downright orwellian.
Post edited April 24, 2018 by Breja
high rated
hollunder: Addendum:
Friends leak on the feed page, even if friends are disabled.

The consequence of the current implementation is that I unfriended everyone. That seems to be the only way to contain the information leakage at this point.
Great you mentioned this, just unfriended everybody as well.
low rated
john_hatcher: I have one wish. Please stop talking to Jeysie.
I wholeheartedly second this wish. Sheesh. If I ever make the mistake of coming to the forums sometime down the road, someone please remind me of this thread so I can run away screaming and preemptively save myself.
mechmouse: 1) VALVE doesn't do anything unless its a vanity project or they absolutely have to, and they made all profiles private most likely under the instructions of their Lawyers.
2) Valve Lawyers are so good they could convince a Judge that PC games might not be software.
Except Valve has recently forced all peoples profiles to private due to the upcoming GDPR law. There's been a big hoo haa over this and how its killed SteamSpy
Are you sure it was because of GDPR and not because publishers pressured Valve to do so because tools like Steamspy were using public profiles to get sales information they didn't want to disclose.

mechmouse: There is also a third and most important point, regardless of legal position, the vast majority of GoG users would prefer to have this set to private by default.
Well my answer was only about the GDPR itself and whenever it would fall under it or not. I know several peoples whose job is "decrypting" the GDPR and it's impacts, and from what I heard it's closer to a couple of extra hurdles and paperwork you have to consider when doing business in Europe rather than the magical saint grail of online privacy that some seems to think it is.
johnnygoging: no worky

my go

The announcement is now live: https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_profiles

edit: bap
elcook: Thx johnnygoging!
maybe have a options for people
()No profile > they also can't look at other people's profile since they don't have one
()private > profile set to private so you have a profile but people can't see (one click option)
()normal Public /private > options to make it what every people want to see
*()hide from private profiles > in case anyone has a private profile but likes to snoop around public profiles, they won't see yours, only other public people can see your account.

this will be fair for everyone

also we could use a block list so people who you don't like can't see your profile

mechmouse: 1) VALVE doesn't do anything unless its a vanity project or they absolutely have to, and they made all profiles private most likely under the instructions of their Lawyers.
2) Valve Lawyers are so good they could convince a Judge that PC games might not be software.
Except Valve has recently forced all peoples profiles to private due to the upcoming GDPR law. There's been a big hoo haa over this and how its killed SteamSpy
Gersen: Are you sure it was because of GDPR and not because publishers pressured Valve to do so because tools like Steamspy were using public profiles to get sales information they didn't want to disclose.
being a steam user i hate that steam did this because it could tell if your a scammer or troll for some reason all normal people have public accounts but trade scammers & scammers would most likely have private profiles, i actually block anyone that has a private profile on steam because of lack of information,
the only information you can get is if it has words trade scam or vac banned on there profile

people are trying to compare steam and gog which works differently though but for gog i'm not sure the rate or hijack of breaking into accounts because there is a semi lack of info
Post edited April 24, 2018 by KnightW0lf
elcook: Thx johnnygoging!
KnightW0lf: maybe have a options for people
()No profile > they also can't look at other people's profile since they don't have one
()private > profile set to private so you have a profile but people can't see (one click option)
*()hide from private profiles > in case anyone has a private profile but likes to snoop around public profiles, they won't see yours, only other public people can see your account.

also we could use a block list so people who you don't like can't see your profile
hey, every item/line of these are indeed thoughtful and interesting
especially the hide FROM private profiles (it seems fair, as long as said private profiles have the right options to be THAT much private... ergo the whole point of many people here so far)
KnightW0lf: maybe have a options for people

Djaron: hey, every item/line of these are indeed thoughtful and interesting
especially the hide FROM private profiles (it seems fair, as long as said private profiles have the right options to be THAT much private... ergo the whole point of many people here so far)
also to sum it up this is what you all see on a profile in a list forum
Username
Activity feed
Recently play games
About you
achievements
# total games
# Achievements
# Hours played
Games
Friends

*sidenote either bug or over check even with Friends set to private you can see them on profile
nevermind scratch that only active friends are on profile page but your total friends only certain people can see

also i'm confused because people said there stuff like privacy got changed or what not but mine never did?
Post edited April 24, 2018 by KnightW0lf
FWIW, I somehow glossed over this thread for days and wouldn't have been aware if someone hadn't messaged me about my settings. So I cleverly responded "what settings?" and then I still couldn't find the link so they had to send it to me.

drealmer7: default should be the most private possible so that those who aren't aware of the change don't suddenly have their shit exposed if they don't want it to be, and then it is too late to put the paste back in the tube, eh?

more gog incompetence

also, what the fuck is with people starting all of their sentences with the word "so" these days? People don't know how to construct a full-thoughted sentence?
I think Drealmer makes a really full-good point. So we should probably stop doing that.
high rated
elcook: The announcement is now live: https://www.gog.com/news/introducing_gog_profiles

We wanted to soft launch it and make all the necessary fixes, that's why the delay. Hope you like the feature.
Thanks for the beforehand emails...

Oh, wait...
bler144: I think Drealmer makes a really full-good point. So we should probably stop doing that.
trollsmurf makes me laugh!!!
Gersen: Are you sure it was because of GDPR and not because publishers pressured Valve to do so because tools like Steamspy were using public profiles to get sales information they didn't want to disclose.

mechmouse: There is also a third and most important point, regardless of legal position, the vast majority of GoG users would prefer to have this set to private by default.
Gersen: Well my answer was only about the GDPR itself and whenever it would fall under it or not. I know several peoples whose job is "decrypting" the GDPR and it's impacts, and from what I heard it's closer to a couple of extra hurdles and paperwork you have to consider when doing business in Europe rather than the magical saint grail of online privacy that some seems to think it is.
Given what data it still public by default I think you are right its not to do with GDPR.
high rated
Hmmm.

How about setting everything to 'off' as default to begin with in the new Privacy settings relating to the new profiles?

Then it becomes an 'opt in' option for the most part.

Also maybe add a note in the privacy settings that having 'friends' can leak this data, and that it is an option for better data security to have 'no friends' listed.

Then those of us that care about online privacy (we usually don't do facebook/Steam/online banking etc) still have a real reason to see GOG as that good place in modern day gaming? Just a thought on the new changes.
ThorChild: Also maybe add a note in the privacy settings that having 'friends' can leak this data, and that it is an option for better data security to have 'no friends' listed.
This is the part I think they're most likely to change since it's actively encouraging people to remove their friends rather than add more of them.
Its interesting how both Steam and GOG are moving towards more privacy settings. Is this due to GPDR? Or just because of the analytica facebook thing?
joyvix: Its interesting how both Steam and GOG are moving towards more privacy settings. Is this due to GPDR? Or just because of the analytica facebook thing?
Concerning Steam there are rumors that it was to kill Steamspy who was "leaking" information sales that publishers didn't want to disclose; concerning Gog it's related to the new profile feature. I think a lot of peoples overestimate the reach of GDPR and what is covered by it.