It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wife's laptop is getting too long in the tooth, so looked at making a new PC (easier upgrade options).

Given I'd need to buy a screen and keyboard I couldn't build a machine with similar specs cheaper than this laptop

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-rog-strix-gl502vm-fy497t-fhd-g-sync-i5-7300hq-8gb-ddr4-128gb-m2-sata-ssdplus1tb-hdd-6gb-gtx?v=c

effing cryto-miners
Yeah, I'm so happy I did my build before this F***ing crypto-mining craze started.
mechmouse: effing cryto-miners
My sentiments exactly. God Damned miners.

ADDED: Speaking of insane world... I'm currently taking the cake. I've got ALL (100%) of the hardware necessary to build a most awesome system. And it's been here for over a month. Just sitting there....... (i7-8700k CPU, SSD's, 32 GIG 3600Mhz Mem, 2XTitanXp GPU's.... just sitting there still in their original boxes.)
Post edited February 23, 2018 by OldFatGuy
mechmouse: effing cryto-miners
OldFatGuy: My sentiments exactly. God Damned miners.

ADDED: Speaking of insane world... I'm currently taking the cake. I've got ALL (100%) of the hardware necessary to build a most awesome system. And it's been here for over a month. Just sitting there....... (i7-8700k CPU, SSD's, 32 GIG 3600Mhz Mem, 2XTitanXp GPU's.... just sitting there still in their original boxes.)
Only because you know once you build it its value halves.

And the fear of breaking it.
Mobile graphics cards are weaker than their non-mobile namesakes with at least lower speed but often less processing units too. It used to be they were 50% of a desktop card but it is not that bad anymore, at least not for all cards. I did not check every model.
mechmouse: Wife's laptop is getting too long in the tooth, so looked at making a new PC (easier upgrade options).

Given I'd need to buy a screen and keyboard I couldn't build a machine with similar specs cheaper than this laptop

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-asus-rog-strix-gl502vm-fy497t-fhd-g-sync-i5-7300hq-8gb-ddr4-128gb-m2-sata-ssdplus1tb-hdd-6gb-gtx?v=c

effing cryto-miners
That's pretty good specs for the price. I would definitely up the ram to 24gb which seems to be the max, 8gb seems low (was t it the recent battlefield which required 16gb min?). Might have to think about this as was looking to go with a god win 2, however for the extra few bucks for this might be more sensible.
Themken: Mobile graphics cards are weaker than their non-mobile namesakes with at least lower speed but often less processing units too. It used to be they were 50% of a desktop card but it is not that bad anymore, at least not for all cards. I did not check every model.
I know the mobile version would be slower, I'm hoping for about 20%.
But the cheapest components for a computer was 20% more expensive, and that was with a midi case. For the small area available I was looking at a mini atx case.

Also you can't easily buy below 22" inch HDMI monitors with in built speakers.

By the time I started designed something that would have fitted in her space, I was spending nearly twice than I spent on my Ryzen 1700 + GTX1070 last year.
mechmouse: Wife's laptop is getting too long in the tooth, so looked at making a new PC (easier upgrade options).

effing cryto-miners
nightcraw1er.488: That's pretty good specs for the price. I would definitely up the ram to 24gb which seems to be the max, 8gb seems low (was t it the recent battlefield which required 16gb min?). Might have to think about this as was looking to go with a god win 2, however for the extra few bucks for this might be more sensible.
Bought an extra 8 Gig, since the wife browses with dozens of tabs open. Given our original budget was £800ish I didn't want to break the £1200 mark.
Post edited February 23, 2018 by mechmouse
Yeah, the crypto miners have made the whole marker unbearable. I've just bought myself new CPU and MB, but I still have to hang on to my olf GF card, as I sure as hell ain't gonna shell triple of the new card.
Themken: Mobile graphics cards are weaker than their non-mobile namesakes with at least lower speed but often less processing units too. It used to be they were 50% of a desktop card but it is not that bad anymore, at least not for all cards. I did not check every model.
For Nvidia GPUs that hasn't been true since the release of the GeForce 10 series. Those desktop and mobile components are pretty much equal in performance.
Serren: For Nvidia GPUs that hasn't been true since the release of the GeForce 10 series. Those desktop and mobile components are pretty much equal in performance.
I read 10% difference for some cards for the 1000 series from Nvidia. it seems to be 25% for the 1060 http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/m164336vs3639 Indeed way better than the old days.
I trust Game Debate more because they do their own tests instead of relying upon users submissions which may be fudged or displaying overclocked GPUs.
Serren: I trust Game Debate more because they do their own tests instead of relying upon users submissions which may be fudged or displaying overclocked GPUs.
Yes, properly done testing IS better. My link was just something quickly and lazily pulled out by googling.

Is that the 3GB model? Maybe therein lies my mistake if the mobile 1060 = GTX10606GB. The numbers would be about right then too.
Post edited February 23, 2018 by Themken
Serren: I trust Game Debate more because they do their own tests instead of relying upon users submissions which may be fudged or displaying overclocked GPUs.
Themken: Yes, properly done testing IS better. My link was just something quickly and lazily pulled out by googling.

Is that the 3GB model? Maybe therein lies my mistake if the mobile 1060 = GTX10606GB. The numbers would be about right then too.
Well i'm getting the 6GB version
Mobile versions being a stepped down version of their PC counterparts was the first thing that went thru my mind as well.

Appears that's not true in this case. Or at least Wikipedia says they're the same:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_10_series_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_10_series

Can't link directly to the 1060 model but going across on both of those charts, the numbers are in the ballpark of each other.
deleted