It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
LynXsh: oh, shucks. finally, an interesting Geralt's thread... and I overslept it.

jokes aside, why 2009?
Judicat0r: I second that.
That's not funny my posts are interesting

2009 because that was breakthrough year for humanity
Up until then most games were turn based like sid meiers alpha centauri, fallout 2 and star trek botf. Fallout 3 was something amazing, first person / third person rpg. Strange thing is I haven't had much experience with other similar games by other companies, seems Bethesda ate up most of my 2010s. I also went nuts on warband, discovered that in 2014 and I've spent 1500 hours on that, fallout 4 comes 2nd at 1000 hours. I suppose with 3 and NV, fallout franchise ate up most of my time.
GeraltOfRivia_PL: That's not funny my posts are interesting
[...]
interesting is a personal emotion. what may be interesting to you may not be to others. when you make something, you cannot know if other people find it interesting or not without asking them.

same goes for all other emotion (i.e. fun, scary, boring, sad etc), you can only know your own feelings.
You know, this actually is a quite interesting topic for a change. I just wish the thread had been started by someone actually interested in discussions and spouting less trollish nonsense.

Anyway, for me it's mostly a positive development, due to:

- the rise of indie games leading to many original titles and future classics, as well as reviving some old genres
- digital distribution freeing up physical storage room as well as giving easier access to a wide variety of games, including original language versions (no more bad localizations for me)
- games getting dirt cheap with frequent sales and bundles
- old classics being re-released and made to work on modern Windows versions

Sure, there are some negative developments in the AAA industry, too, but I've had tons of fun gaming during the last decade without any lootboxes and in-app purchases, always-online requirements or whatever. I find all that relatively easy to ignore, given how many good alternatives there are on PC nowadays. So no, I would not want to go back, to me this is the best of all times for gaming.
Post edited February 02, 2021 by Leroux
In 2009 I had very shitty (portable) hardware to play games, so Street Fighter IV was essentially the pinnacle of it.

Right now, with my desktop PC based on a Core i7-10700K, 16GB of RAM and a GeForce RTX 3080 (I know, I know...), I think I'm in a *bit* better position than eleven years ago :-D

So what's changed? Not much: I'm still playing a fuckload of old (or very old) games, but next to them I also play much more current-gen games like Control. With ray tracing and max graphics quality (and a very high FPS count), of course :-D

Oh, and there's something that hasn't changed at all (yet). I have a lot of games, and purchase a lot of games on disc. Fuck the cloud, fuck the Internet, fuck the always-on servers/services :-D
Post edited February 02, 2021 by KingofGnG
Paliper: crpg's have made a come back and fps games are no longer the end all and be all. That is the good stuff.

Games as a service is the new buzz word among game publishing suits, and that is the bad stuff.
Also, it might seem that space simulators keep coming back, a genre that was effectively dead for a long while (with welcome surprises like iWar).
LynXsh: oh, shucks. finally, an interesting Geralt's thread... and I overslept it.

jokes aside, why 2009?
Why Space 1999.
Post edited February 02, 2021 by Carradice
In 2009, I was playing Doom (1993), UT99 and RUNE online with my kids and friends 1x a month. When I use to have LAN gatherings at my home we were playing: SNK classics on my MAME arcade machine, Daytona, House of the Dead 2 and Virtual On: Cyber Troopers, Dead or Alive 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 2.

I had a few kids still living at home and they were into various games that only one I remember being the most played was True Combat: Elite and a couple of free games on Desura.

2009 was not significant. We had accounts here on GOG but Desura was where we found a lot of Linux games ready to roll and without issue that year. Many of which were freeware. I had large gaps of when I was buying games and the next time that I did was 2013 (1 game) 2015 (2 game bundles).

2019 is when I got into buying a lot more games since around this time the last of my children had went on to college and we were leaning towards online games. I also got into SP games around this time. The last time I played a SP game prior to that was 1999. I walked away from AAA games around that same year 1999. Indie, TIG Source freeware and older games is what I play and still play so long as they are Linux native and without DRM.
Post edited February 02, 2021 by Arcadius-8606
guess, I have to found some kind of "Church of those who belive that LynXsh's posts' meanings are mostly obvious" someday, huh...
GeraltOfRivia_PL: 2009 because that was breakthrough year for humanity
would you kindly explain this for those bunker dwellers like me?
low rated
LynXsh: guess, I have to found some kind of "Church of those who belive that LynXsh's posts' meanings are mostly obvious" someday, huh...
GeraltOfRivia_PL: 2009 because that was breakthrough year for humanity
LynXsh: would you kindly explain this for those bunker dwellers like me?
Just look at football. Barcelona won the sextuple and Real Madrid signed Cristiano Ronaldo.

As for gaming we got Dragon Age Origins, Assassin's Creed 2, Left for Dead 2, Uncharted 2, Angry Birds
GeraltOfRivia_PL: Real Madrid signed Cristiano Ronaldo.
Who?
Paliper: crpg's have made a come back and fps games are no longer the end all and be all. That is the good stuff.

Games as a service is the new buzz word among game publishing suits, and that is the bad stuff.
Carradice: Also, it might seem that space simulators keep coming back, a genre that was effectively dead for a long while (with welcome surprises like iWar).
Carradice: Why Space 1999.
Oh it's another space opera, I see.
GeraltOfRivia_PL: Just look at football. Barcelona won the sextuple and Real Madrid signed Cristiano Ronaldo.

As for gaming we got Dragon Age Origins, Assassin's Creed 2, Left for Dead 2, Uncharted 2, Angry Birds
sex... tuple?..
also, what did games you've mentioned do to talk about any breakthrough? (okay, Angry Birds were... everywhere. even my phone's T9 knows 'em.)
Yes, indeed, a football club hiring some guy was absolutely a breakthrough for humanity. I feel it important to stress that that is a completely sensible thing to say. Should anyone voice any disagreement with such a well reasoned argument their post should be deleted immediately.
i miss halo 3 so much, and i still love my xbox 360. it may be loud old and breaking slowly but it's a the toughest piece of tech I've ever seen. i also miss when there wasn't cosmetics that you had to pay for and when battle passes and micro transactions didn't really exist in gaming
Post edited February 03, 2021 by lilredspartan8
Breja: Yes, indeed, a football club hiring some guy was absolutely a breakthrough for humanity. I feel it important to stress that that is a completely sensible thing to say. Should anyone voice any disagreement with such a well reasoned argument their post should be deleted immediately.
I don't even think 2009 is a very special year for gaming. I usually think of 1998 as one of the greatest years - Thief, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate, Ocarina of Time, Might and Magic 6, Resident Evil 2..

There's also 2004-05 with sluggers like Half-Life 2, Bloodlines, Halo 2, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus, Battlefield 2, FEAR, Far Cry, Silent Hill 4, Timesplitters, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory..

But I also disagree with the Ronaldo thing. The greatest breakthrough for humanity was Leeds United hiring Marcelo Bielsa as coach in 2018. That was bigger than the invention of the combustion engine.
Post edited February 04, 2021 by Random_Coffee