Now since you want to make a gift you have the following options:
1. You can gift someone what YOU like.
2. You can gift someone what HE/SHE/THEY like.
There is also a number of ways of choosing WHO to gift to (aka who is the lucky guy/girl/individual, upon which you will shower your generosity):
1. YOU can choose the gift receiver
2. Someone else (including everyone's favourite buddy random.org) can determine who receives the gift.
3. The receiver is determined on some "more or less" objective basis.
Depending on what you want to do (hey it's YOUR giveaway after all) you have a number of options:
If you want to gift someone THEY want
1. The easy one - go to "The GOG Community Gifting Thread" . Choose someone randomly and make the gift.
2. The more time-consuming one - make a suggestion to "Tell me what you want and I will give it to you". Like here
3. The even more time-consuming one - make a random draw or a contest like here
If you want to gift someone YOU want:
1. The easy way - post a code on a "whoever-grabs-firt-gets-it" basis in the forum. A good place, for example, would be here or again here
2. The more time-consuming way - write "whoever PMs me first gets XXX".
3. The even more time-consuming way - make a random draw like here (shameless self-promotion inside :P)
4. The most time-consuming way - make a contest like here or here
Some more tips:
- make your giveaways for discounted games - this way more people get something on the same budget of yours;
- sometimes gifters might want to join forces to create uber-giveaways like here or here: here
- you do not need people's email addresses to make gifts, you can just do it via gifting a game to your own email and than (WITHOUT REDEEMING) sending the gift code to the recipient;
- in general users are more reluctant to take part in giveaways/contests that require prolonged participation and accumulation of points before gifts are give out - giving out a small gift at the end of each stage potentially attracts more attention;
- try to formulate beforehand as precisely as you can exactly HOW and WHAT you plan on gifting and put out the conditions at the start - people are normally more hesitant to participate in something, if they do not understand how it works;
- if you are pasting a code in the open in the forums, consider making it a clickable link, so that newbs could also get a chance. Example: https://www.gog.com/en/gift/#T3JS-E9RG-YZQL-62RG
- after gifting your game(s), you can check whether it was redeemed at all and who did that (that also allows you to check whether it was received by the correct person). This can be done by looking into my games section, under "gifts" tab;
- always think HOW you want to gift your games. If you want to gift one game per person, buy the games separately - one at a time. Purchasing several games at once will leave you with one gift code for all games (which would potentially be good for gifting and redeeming to only ONE user). Of course, if you want to gift several games to one person (a pack), just buy them all together at once and send him that single single gift-code with all games.
I hope this helps someone, and I will try to refine and update this topic. This is just the first sketch.
Comments? Questions? Suggestions? Let me know. ;)
P.S. I have seen someone requesting such a thread so I decided to make one, but since my giveaways for financial reasons are mainly non-GOG I would appreciate input from more
GOG-experienced gifters as well and certainly would include it here.