It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
DubConqueror: How did you arrive at such a number with one decimal percent point precision? My guess is your estimation is way off and is not even an estimation, but an exaggeration.
But he made his point.

Vast majority of PC games are Steam exclusive. Either publishers are too lazy to publish it elsewhere, or there's not enough future profit from other platforms. As simple as that.

Heck, even Japanese games are coming to Steam right now. Hello Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13.
Antoni_Fox: ...Why do so many GOG users often comment in forum posts that they avoid using Steam?
I mean, 99.9% of PC games are released exclusively on the Steam platform these days, and even if they do get DRM-free releases on GOG, Humble Bundle and other places later, the vast majority of new or recent PC games will never provide us gamers with that option.
So, by refusing to have a Steam account, aren't some PC gamers robbing themselves of the opportunity to play a lot of new games? ...
You are right that by refusing to have a Steam account gamers are somewhat limiting themselves but I strongly disagree with the numbers you present. It's surely much, much less than 99.9%, more like 20-40%. And this makes a big difference.

You have to know that many gamers strongly dislike DRM (including Steam here) and although this restricts them somewhat they are more than happy with the remaining games. After all the amount of games available is so large that you can easily spent your whole life playing good DRM free games.

I have a Steam account with one game (that is not available DRM free) and think about adding another one.

So, I kind of use Steam, but I use GOG a hundred times more intensive.
Post edited June 27, 2016 by Trilarion
With the recent trend of overpricing, 1st day DLCs, broken games on release, flawed mandatory always online drm (how many failed lunches we had because of servers not being able to take the load) and so on and so on I'm definitely not buying new games until they got -50% treatment (which happens 6 to 12 months post release nowadays). Personally I think the way GOG function is better than steam, because one can easily back up his games and use them offline whenever they want, but despite the recent releases here GOG is still lacking in game catalogue, and that's not only about hit titles like Euro Truck Simulator series but also for some overlooked gems from the past like Salvation Prophecy and Spaceforce Rogue Universe HD for example - if steam can profit from these than it's worth bringing them here.
Antoni_Fox: I mean, 99.9% of PC games are released exclusively on the Steam platform these days
Statistics like this are 100% made up on the spot.
Antoni_Fox: [...]
I am one of those, who don't boycott Steam.

I did "boycott" it in its beginnings, though.

I was successfully ignoring Steam until late 2009.
That was when they gave "Portal" away for free.

I made my account literally "five minutes to midnight" (the time the free offer endet), after I considered all day long, whether the game was worth the hassle (spoiler: it was!).

While I appreciate the DRM-freeness of GOG, I don't want to miss out on some of the modern games.

In 2010 I searched for an old game, and stumbled over GOG.com.

Origin came next - by "accident" - I bought a game, and only found out after the purchase, that it was an Origin key.

Then came Uplay...I backed/preordered Might and Magic X...and that required Uplay.

So - I use all the "big" digital distributers, and, so far, encountered no problem with any of them.

But I can also say: of all the DDs, GOG is my most used, and my GOG shelf is better equipped then all the others together.
Attachments:
taskbar.png (11 Kb)
Because there are people like me, who consider digital delivery-only stuff the bane of PC gaming. For me, Steam is the worst thing that could have ever happened to video games - and I was one of those angry folks who were forced to install that fucking Internet-only crapware to play to Half-Life 2 in 2004...

Steam is a stinking pile of digital shit, and any game that doesn't use it is worth my consideration these days.
I only use Steam for certain racing games, like MotoGP and F1, which are unlikely to ever appear on GOG or elsewhere. If I want to play these games my only option is to either get them on Steam or on console.

Sometimes I don't even have that choice as most sim games are 'PC only', like Euro Truck Simulator and Race 07, which then translates into 'Steam only'. In other words I use Steam because I don't have an option if I want to play the kind of games I enjoy the most.

I share an apartment with my brother, who always buys his games on Steam and who likes most triple-A games. We use Steam's Family Sharing system, so I always have access to his games. Most of them are games I've enjoyed playing but would not have bought myself, since I prioritize racing games.

When it comes to non-racing games I always try to buy them DRM-free, thankfully the kind of games I want to play in-between my racing sessions are Indie titles like Shardlight and older games like Darwinia. I tend to play these games on my laptop and having them DRM-free is much more convenient.

As a buyer there's certainly a sense of freedom in buying a game DRM-free, you are not attached to anything.
I find DRM to be a major hindrance so being DRM free makes it so much easier.

Plus Valve has been doing a lot of shady things the past few years which frankly should be called out more than they have:

- The paid mod fiasco (that they are still trying to implement)

- The useless customer service

- Constant changing of the TOS to the point where you do not legally own the games you purchase.

- How resistant they were to offer refunds to the point that it took a European court to force it.

-Being the company that introduced and popularized Micro-transactions in retail games
Post edited June 27, 2016 by wolfsite
I have a little over 20 games backlog in my library, and 40 on my wishlist, and that's just on GOG. There's others to be added to both categories on Humble and IndieGameStand. So if just on GOG there is way more games then I have money and time for, how am I "robbing myself" out of anything by not using Steam? I have to narrow down what I buy and play somehow anyway.
Post edited June 27, 2016 by Breja
Zabohad: Those GOGers who would rob themselves of playing some Steam-only games by not using Steam are using Steam, they just not advertise it so much. Simple as that.
Because you say so?
Breja: I have a little over 20 games backlog in my library, and 40 on my wishlist, and that's just on GOG. There's others to be added to both categories on Humble and IndieGameStand. So if just on GOG there is way more games then I have money and time for, how am I "robbing myself" out of anything by not using Steam? I have to narrow down what I buy and play somehow anyway.
i wish my backlog was only 20 games.
Every time I consider using Steam I just look out the window at the satellite dish providing my internet and realize there is no way. :P
tinyE: Every time I consider using Steam I just look out the window at the satellite dish providing my internet and realize there is no way. :P
How fast is that connection, btw?
I don't have any real need to play the latest and greatest games.
tinyE: Every time I consider using Steam I just look out the window at the satellite dish providing my internet and realize there is no way. :P
KneeTheCap: How fast is that connection, btw?
Downloading using the GOG downloader, usually 300-400 KB/s.